Leap of Faith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leap of Faith Reviews

April 5, 2016
Excellent acting by Steve Martin and good expose of faith healers. However, the man upon whom this film was based, Peter Popovic, never stopped his racket even though he was exposed aa a fraud. Shows you how stupid and gullible people can be, and that there is always someone ready to take advantage of that gullibility. Unlike Popovic, Steve Martin's character quits because he knows at the end that what he's doing is morally wrong. Popovic is still fooling people to this day. This film has a better ending than the real life story upon which it is based.
½ February 5, 2016
I was with this film up until the very end.
I am not that religious of a person, and while I think it's great when a person finds himself, I just didn't enjoy the ending as much as I thought.
The film centers around a preacher con man, whose truck breaks down in a small remote economic crisis town, and he starts doing his gig.
It's a big gig with many people involved to make a lot of money off people's belief in faith.
Let's get something straight here. Martin is fabulous. I know his comedy is appreciated, but I am not sure if his acting chops are. He is brilliant here.

I really wish the film would of avoided the sort of cliche ending that was on display here, but I guess what other route could you have gone.

Martin is so strong here it is definitely one of his best performances I have seen to date.

It was cool seeing a young Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Liam Neeson also, before they really got their start.
Steve Martin carries this movie fully, until the corny predictable ending.

A very solid comedy film that features Martin at his absolute best.
½ June 29, 2015
Kind of a yawn fest...
½ April 7, 2015
A lot of Martin's movies in the 80"s and 90' felt seamless.This felt forced and the script did him no favors either.
January 25, 2015
This movie was a failure. The movie manages to take a very deep belief and turn it into something that is only on the surface, as well as never actually showing the deep sides of Christianity. If your a Christian, don't bother with this film. If your not interested in Christianity and just want a laugh.. Don't see this film.
½ August 31, 2014
Prime example of how a strong lead performance can elevate familiar material. The gospel choir music is fantastic.
June 7, 2014
A clever little film about a false travelling preacher who knows how to put on a show for the crowds.

Steve Martin plays this multi layered character well & it's quite interesting to see the behind the scenes trickery & how set up the evangelists can be.

There a few love stories in there as well that aren't entirely convincing & it doesn't really conclude to well.
½ April 27, 2014
I will be honest here. I ONLY watched this movie because Liam Neeson was in it. Seriously.
Turned out to be a decent movie about the shysters that preach "health, wealth and healing" for a price and the people that actually buy into that. Steve Martin is amazingly excellent in this movie as the head shyster Jonas and the glimpses you see of Phillip Seymour Hoffman make you sad all over again at the loss of that great actor.
And yes, Liam is good as well, as the small town sheriff, just wanting to protect his town from the likes of people like Jonas.
The end is VERY good and shows what TRUE faith is all about.
February 27, 2014
Reverend Jonas Nightengale (Steve Martin) is a slick-as-oil flimflam man who'll trade salvation for a donation to his touring ministry. Jonas knows how to work a crowd and a con, but his works of wonder are done with mirrors and smoke.

When his tour bus breaks down, Jonas pitches his tents in impoverished Rustwater, Kansas. While his alluring manager (Debra Winger) tries to persuade the local sheriff(Liam Neeson) not to close the show, Jonas sets his sights on a beautiful skeptic named Marva (Lolita Davidovitch). But making a believer out of Marva is going to take a real miracle.

also stars Lukas Haas, Meat Loaf, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, M.C. Gainey and Maria Anita,

directed by Richard Pearce.
February 15, 2014
forgettable cliche drama
February 15, 2014
A predictable story with tired old dialogue, held together largely by Mr. Martin's on-stage performances.
½ January 6, 2014
1/6/2014: It was ok. It had a few funny parts, but isn't worth watching more than once.
½ November 26, 2013
This was actually a nice, little comedy that probably didn't do as well as it could have.The subject matter may have sat poorly with many, particularly in the areas of the country where such religious minstrels prey (pray?).This takes a pretty humorous look at all aspects of the more vocal (translation: loud) purveyors of religion whether they be faith healers, con artists, or just religious "leaders" who feel it is their job to tell people how to live their lives, which includes sending in a lot of money.
½ September 28, 2013
Steve Martin puts on his best performance in the lead role, but it is not enough to save this tired, droning slug of a film.
July 6, 2013
"Maybe I am and maybe I'm not [a fake] but if I get the job done, what difference does it make?"
March 10, 2013
The gospel music sizzles. All star cast. The theme is redemption. Who is redeemed? Everybody! Set in drought starved Kansas. Faith for the faithless. Are you ready for a miracle?
January 31, 2013
Steve Martin gives one of his best performances here as con-man preacher Jonas Nightingale who comes to a small town that is suffering from a terrible drought. Martin is able to play a role with a more dramatic spin, different from his normal comedy. He is able to shine in this role, and gives a convincing performance. Although its predictable in parts, it doesn't matter because you want to like Nightingale, and hope for a happy ending. This is a must see, classic movie.
January 30, 2013
It's better the second time.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
½ November 27, 2012
Actually not a bad movie....but really underrated though