The Getaway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Getaway Reviews

September 24, 2011
Cool criminals cavort capriciously in this casual entertainment effort that's concerned about how cool everything looks and not about the complexity. Still fun.
½ March 4, 2007
A good action packed film with an array of well known actors. It has some great shootouts, stunts and steamy scenes with Kim Basinger! For some reason you can't get this on DVD region 2 so managed to catch it on TV. A good blast from the past enjoyable old school action film.
February 12, 2007
a) Because Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw didn't get it right? b) Because MacGraw wasn't blonde enough? c) Because David Morse is a great actor who deserves to be in every movie possible? d) Because Richard Farnsworth and Slim Pickens both played the same role well? The correct answer is d.
September 4, 2006
The orginal is so much better
February 7, 2013
Incredibly trashy but still enjoyable (if pointless) remake of Sam Peckinpah's original. Basinger is awful, Baldwin is serviceable, Woods chews the scenery.
xxdebxx
½ November 18, 2009
The plot had suspense, momentum, some spectacular action, not to mention some steamy sizzle between the two leads Baldwin and Basinger and it held my interest throughout. Very entertaining and I liked Michael Madsen as the "bad guy" and James Woods was creepily sinister as Jack Benyon.
February 25, 2015
If you take it for a shoot 'em up chaser then there is merit to this movie but if you just compare it to the original then it pales in comparison.
½ May 14, 2013
He's only in it during the last five minutes of the movie and yet he's the best thing in the film. I'm talking about the legendary Richard Farnsworth. The rest of the film is fairly hit or miss. The action sequences are fine, and there are some fun spot the character actor moments -- Philip Seymour Hoffman, Michael Madsen, and David Morse show up in this thing. Also, I enjoyed this version of the tale more than the 1972 original, but that might just be due to the fact that I'm a 90s kid.
March 21, 2013
The younger me had to endure generic action movie remakes to get glimpses of nude and hot Kim Basinger and Jennifer Tilly. The Getaway tried to capitalize on the chemistry of then couple Alec Baldwin and Basinger but did nothing aside from give dudes boners.
June 8, 2012
Who even remembers that Alec Baldwin used to play tough guys? And how good he was at it! Plus, Kim Basinger at her hottest! You won't tell me you don't like this movie and keep a straight face!
½ May 14, 2012
Feels more 80's in its straightforward reworking of an already decent movie. I've never been a fan of Baldwin and when he does perform well the movie around him instead seems to suck, and that's the case here. The leads do a great job with the material and many scenes feel urgent and revelatory as necessary but overall the plot feels uninspired in its updating and wastes those good performances on an unimaginative sets and setups.
December 19, 2011
A good movie to watch when you're bored to pass the time if you haven't seen it. But if you want to see a great film to pass the time, stick with the original.
December 28, 2007
About as decent a neo-noir as Peckinpah's '72 version, just as gritty (if not more so) and saturated with stylish violence. This version may not star the immortal Steve McQueen, but to make up for it they've cast (then) real-life couple Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger (a nice parallel to McQueen and Ali McGraw) PLUS James Woods, David Morse, Jennifer Tilly and Michael Madsen. It's a little strange that a Jim Thompson novel would become the basis for not one, but two, high-profile Hollywood star vehicles, considering the man wrote darker than dark pulp paperbacks, but The Getaway must have been near and dear to some Hollywood execs' hearts, because even though neither film really entirely works the way Thompson would have envisioned, his book has been adapted twice. Both films are entertaining, if flawed, attempts at turning pulp fiction into Hollywood summer blockbusters.
½ June 21, 2011
At times exhilarating and at other times painful, The Getaway is a rough ride filled with top notch actors.
June 9, 2011
Can't believe I let this film slip past me. Even though it was made 17 years ago ... it contains an exception amount of action coupled with equal portions of violence and sex. This is no "Thelma & Louise" film, make no mistake .. it earns it's 'R' rating. 2 hours of pulsating, band, bang, pow, action awaits you when you see what I think is Alec Baldwins best action film ever. Kim Basinger looks radiant as usual in this film and their characters win you over despite all odds. This is one of the best Hiest films ever made and I highly recommend it.
February 25, 2010
The Getaway (1994)

This remake of the 1972 version is doomed to always be compared to it's predecessor. Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger were the hottest Hollywood couple of the time; much hotter than the Steve McQueen/Ali MacGraw pairing of its time. But, we are talking about Sam Peckinpah directing Walter Hill's screenplay here. Personally, I think that Roger Donaldson did a great job directing this one.

Hands down, Kim Basinger's Carol McCoy was a much better gun-weilding criminal than Ali MacGraw ever could have been. Sexier too. When Doc McCoy (Alec Baldwin) bitch-slaps her for sleeping with Jack Beynon (James Woods), Carol slaps back. This Carol can take care of herself with a large-caliber semi-automatic weapon or driving a getaway car through a wall of police cruisers. Maybe it's just that it's a different generation.

Alec Baldwin is pretty damned cool as Doc, but it's hard to out-cool Steve McQueen at anything. But, he holds his own as a good action anti-hero. Michael Madsen's Rudy Travis is just as scary an adversary as Al Lettieri was (maybe even more so), and so was David Morse's Jim Deer Jackson compared to Bo Hopkins.

I personally prefer this latter version of The Getaway. It's a much tighter, action-packed movie, and frankly I can see this Doc and Carol being more passionately in love with each other. They were more than a married couple but partners in crime.

Both versions have been out on DVD for many years now, so it's not necessary for me to describe the story. See both versions and judge for yourself.
½ June 1, 2008
Loved this one this on screen couple of Alec and Kim were amazing together no wonder they were also off screen coupled as well.....a must see
½ December 3, 2007
Crappy remake of the solid peckinpah movie, and even less faithful to the excellent jim thompson novel.
May 24, 2007
Back when these two actually loved each other, they had some decent chemistry. This movie was sleek.