Barcelona - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barcelona Reviews

August 16, 2015
Sentimental child as king, parents as infants parable which while leaving messy reality at the door manages to draw us in to its fairytale world and hope for the happy ending which ought to elude it.
June 18, 2015
Didn't like it at first, but it slowly grew on me, and I felt it really took off in the third act (the opposite of Metropolitan, funnily enough), with some genuinely funny moments (Fred's interpretation of The Graduate is hilarious). Eigemen and Nichols essentially play the same characters from the earlier movie only in a different milieu/circumstances, and yet it somehow works in the movie's favour.
January 7, 2015
This movie is beyond boring; two self absorbed Americans in Spain sit around and talk about themselves. Very hard to care about these unlikable characters; is one of the worst movies I've tried to see in a long time.
October 1, 2014
It's a shame that Stillman makes so few films. His talky feasts have attracted imitators and launched stardoms but films like this prove his originality.
September 28, 2014
A quirky funny tale of family, friends, and finding your soul mate that felt like a Woody Allen film, but not as neurotic. How did I miss this when it was released 20 years ago!
September 3, 2014
Whit Stillman's worst film, which means it's better than most directors' best film.
July 18, 2014
Quite a treat this one. Honestly, I might watch it again sometime. Love the scenery.
February 16, 2014
wry, obnoxious, beautiful. my favorite movie.
½ May 29, 2013
A film from Stillman that I actually thought I'd seen before, but upon finally viewing turned out to be something I was watching for the first time. Great little indie flick form the '90s, well worth seeking out for the snappy dialog that only seems to exist in these types of films.

Worth a rental for sure.
½ November 30, 2012
Funny, but while Metropolitan feels authentic within its time, Barcelona feels a bit dated.
½ November 23, 2012
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, it's almost clever enough to get by simply on its charm, but Stillman really needs to stop wallowing in his own cleverness and start telling stories.
October 29, 2012
Not bad, if you can get past the anti-American rhetoric.
August 5, 2012
Boring. Lacking in plot.
April 7, 2012
Whit Stillman is like Woody Allen; if Woody Allen refused to make a film a year and really concentrated on saying something new with each film his makes. Don't get me wrong, I love Woody Allen but Whit Stillman has a handle over his craft that Allen can't seem to pin down. Stillman, like Allen, is all about social observation- delivering insights (and humor) into society through dialogue and situations "Barcelona" is a much larger step up from "Metropolitan" in terms of style, mood and execution. The film is darker and more confident. This helps the subtext remain pointed and mature and not as overly readable like in his previous feature. Stillman has this easy way of enveloping you into his films and "Barcelona" is a lovely yet acidic look into international social relations.
stevenecarrier
September 4, 2011
½ August 8, 2011
This is the second movie I've seen by Whit Stillman, after The Last Days of Disco, and both films are clearly in the same vein. The Last Days of Disco was a little bit better, but this one is still very pleasant. There's a distinctive feel for the dialogue and characters in both movies that distinguishes Stillman's writing style from just about anyone else's.

Not a whole lot happens in the movie plot-wise. There's a nerdy young American businessman with a tendency to take things very seriously who is living in Barcelona in the 1980s. He's suddenly visited by his cousin, a flippant Navy officer, and has to host him indefinitely. They both have relationships with different women. And that's about it. Not a movie with any shocking revelations or shattering plot-twists: just plausible characters living their lives.

And yet, the film is really interesting. The greatest strength is Stillman's dialogue, which is far more articulate than you are used to hearing in movies. Even when they aren't talking about anything particularly profound, just the way the characters talk is fun to listen to. They are snarky without being overly mean, and have a much wider vocabulary than typical movie characters. They're somewhat similar to Woody Allen's characters, but less give over to jokey one-liners and neurotic behavior. Taylor Nichols plays the businessman with cute earnestness. Christopher Eigeman, whom I had only seen before in Stillman's The Last Days of Disco, might be my new favorite actor that nobody knows about. He projects this sort of sarcastic and obnoxious yet generally well-meaning and self-aware persona that I've never quite seen anyone else do. I really wish this guy were in more movies. Tushka Bergen and Mira Sorvino are good as the Spanish love interests, though their characters are definitely secondary.

The film's visual style is definitely similar to Woody Allen's. There are a lot of static, middle-distance shots, few close-ups, and occasional tracking shots of characters walking along sidewalks. It all works well enough for what the movie wants to do, which is mainly listen to its characters talk. The film wryly portrays the goofiness and naivete of its American characters, but actually puts the snobbish and anti-American European characters in a far worse light. This might actually be a strongly traditional defense of America, though it's hard to tell because it's all so dry and ironic. Whatever it is, I enjoyed it, and I wish Whit Stillman would make more movies than he does (only 3 over the past 21 years, so far).
August 1, 2011
Great dialogue that perfectly captures the subtle interactions between cultures that happen while working & living abroad. In the words of Ramon, this move is: "Perfecto....umm, casi perfecto".
March 27, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Whit Stillman can do no wrong. Really looking forward to his return to filmmaking with 'Damsels in Distress'.
December 30, 2010
How? Whit Stillman blows me away every time. Chris Eigeman is one of the most undervalued comic actors of all time.