Jumanji - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jumanji Reviews

March 14, 2018
Jumanji features excellent special effects for its time, the premise is great and the first half is quite charming and engaging, but the second one is boring, messy and filled with too much spectacle and not enough storytelling. The characterization also suffered as a result of its fast pace. It is an okay film, but it unfortunately squandered its great premise.
March 8, 2018
People love it, but I actually liked the sequel more. Robin Williams is fantastic and it's fun.
February 25, 2018
fun and entertaining adventure movie. had some old movie qualities, like a really long setup before the movie gets going, and some terrible special effects, both CGI and practical, and i know for sure they sped up many scenes, but i think it might have been like half the movie, even regular non-special effects scenes looked like they were sped up. but this movie was surprisingly funny and really different. the concept is awesome and i love that it wasn't just consequence free fun, it really felt like they were all terrified and the game was a horror. and seeing what happened with the public was hilarious. the animals were funny, if only they used better CGI. so many cool parts, so many memorable moments. i thought kirsten's character was really funny. and robin williams was great. i was thinking about how cool it would be if they had today's special effects, but the big budget, start studded remake was absolutely awful.
with everything at their fingertips, they wrote garbage. this movie with all it's flaws, absolutely poops on welcome to the jungle (about 4 viewings)
½ February 19, 2018
A Ok Movie But Still Worth Watching To See Robin Williams
February 16, 2018
A classic and still great today.
February 13, 2018
Though half of its visual effects have painfully aged, this classic family fantasy still has solid story, stakes, and cast.
February 11, 2018
4/5. Jumanji is a film ahead of it's time. The CGI is charmingly terrible, but the film is a lot of fun, with some cool practical effects and a great performance from Robin Williams.
February 11, 2018
This is one of Johnston's truly interesting films, it is creatively more ambitious and interesting compared to the standard stories he directs. I love Rocketeer and October Sky, no one else directs or captures the old America quite like Johnston. This film is great fun and while Williams is underutilised for his comedic talents, the film shares a lot of heart. The film should have been a franchise starter as it leaves the door open for a sequel but it never happened until 2017, a real downer for long time fans. The board game concept is clever and while the film never hits high peaks of potential, it is still a lot of fun. The stampede scenes are hilarious and while the special effects are quite dated now, you tend to forgive a film that hits all the right beats. Clever concept and fun casting save what could have been a complete dud in the wrong hands, you can only thank Johnston for creating a film that has endured so well over time. 11-02-2018.
February 7, 2018
Was one of my favorite childhood movies. Still like it any movie with Robin in it is worth the watch!
February 2, 2018
Most underrated movie of all time, despite a few errors in visual effects, this movie has some good performance, epsecially from the man himself, Robin Williams.
January 29, 2018
good film not as good as the new one though
January 26, 2018
Jumanji is far from a perfect film (it sits on a 51% on RT), but man do I still enjoy this film. I remember seeing this movie in 1995 and although the CG is quite dated I had a lot of fun rewatching this after so many years. In the year 1969 young Alan Parrish (Adam Hann-Byrd) finds a mysterious game called Jumanji that appears to have the sounds of drums coming from it. Along with his neighbor Sarah (Laura Bell Bundy) they both begin playing the game, but Alan is sucked into it and disappears for 26 years. Fast forward 26 years later and Alan's home and town are completely run down. Judy (Kristen Dunst) and Peter Shepherd (Bradley Pierce) have moved in with their aunt Nora (Bebe Neuwirth). The two kids eventually find the game freeing Alan (Robin Williams) from the game and causing absolute mayhem to their home and city. Along with Sarah (Bonnie Hunt) the four unlikely allies sit down and decide to finish the game once and for all. The movie has a pretty good mix of action, comedy and drama. Alan's story is pretty sad when you think about it, but what works so damn well here is Robin Williams. He's not his normal laugh out loud self here, but he definitely has a lot of one liners that just work and bring a lot of heart to the film. It's predictable and yeah it's a film from 1995 so its extremely dated at times. Overall, I loved this movie as a kid and I still enjoyed watching it today. If you've gone out and seen the sequel or are planning on checking it out don't forgot to check this one out first!
January 25, 2018
Still holds up as a great film for all ages..
January 20, 2018
It's goofy and fun to watch. Nothing groundbreaking or complicated so perfect for a lazy Sunday
½ January 19, 2018
Not bad, Hollywood. Not bad.

I must admit. I was very against this movie when I first heard about it. I was a fan in childhood of the original, and I only went to the film when I heard good things about it through word-of-mouth. I think the high point of the film was they found a way to pay homage to the original, but make it their own. Also, they actually delved into some character before diving into the plot which is an old storytelling trope not seen much anymore.

Unfortunately, the strongest arc was not the lead character, but of Bethany's. They delved with the vague "friendship" in other areas which is weaker. And, another weakness is adult actors in the film plays their typical role and brings nothing new to their performances here. Are The Rock and Kevin Hart one trick ponies?

I'll keep the word of mouth going. It was good. I recommend.
½ January 18, 2018
Jumanji has some exciting moments to be had, but there are better movies to watch.
½ January 13, 2018
this is just the beginning..

Brewing a new concept is difficult but luckily it doesn't take much time to settle in and after it does it is quite adventurous.
½ January 11, 2018
A childhood classic of mine
January 10, 2018
An adventure for the whole family that brings the action of a safari to your backyard.
January 8, 2018
A stupid yet enjoyable movie.