Jumanji - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jumanji Reviews

½ December 11, 2017
The main attraction is watching the elements of the game being overdone beyond the board, even though it fuels the adventure aspect of the fantasy film that was struggling like the inner occurring narrative. The slightly overblown effects has pleasantly resulted into an adventurous fuel, which was given an extra lighting by Williams' guidance from his soul and comedic charm. (B)

(Full review TBD)
December 10, 2017
This to me was one of the best adventure movies when I was a kid. It was so enjoyable, now it is very dated but still fun to watch!
½ December 10, 2017
Jumanji is a fun 90s movie but how well does it hold up? Let's start with the bad qualities before we get to the good. The CG. Oh my God, the CG. It has NOT, and I mean has NOT, aged well. Before you say "it was released in 1995, what did you expect?", note that the same company released Terminator 2 4 years earlier and while only 5 minutes of CGI appeared in the theatrical version, it still looks incredibly convincing. Another movie that came out in 1995 was Casper which also used CGI. However, I find the ghosts to still look convincing even today. The monkeys are the most egregious examples of bad CG. The rendering is so poor, they look like they were taken from a PS1 game released in the same year. Then there's the black cop, who seems to solely exist as a butt of jokes. I felt sorry for him really. And kids may be scared a bit, so this movie isn't entirely appropriate for kids who might get nightmares, perhaps even from the bad CG alone. Now, on to the good qualities. Robin Williams portrays a grown-up Alan Parrish greatly with a good charm that saddens you when you remember that Williams died. Rest in peace, Robin. Jonathan Hyde steals the show as Van Pelt, offering the funniest moments in the movie with Van Pelt basically being a video game villain. Makes me wonder if we'll see him in a surprise cameo or something in the new movie. About that, my evil masters assigned this movie to me because of the new movie coming out. I may review Zathura someday. The practical effects, unlike the CG, work since they're really there and makes me wonder how house doors opened by themselves since technically nothing is opening them. Everyone earns a happy ending. Jumanji won't be the most magical experience of your life but it still lives up to its description of "An adventure for those who seek to find/ a way to leave their world behind" with the incredible charisma of Robin Williams.
½ December 9, 2017
The effects have aged pretty poorly, but it's still such a fun family movie.
½ December 8, 2017
A fun premise made more fun thanks to Robin Williams. Get the family around, enjoy the adventure.
December 6, 2017
This is a true gem of a picture! I really don't understand how anyone could hate Jumanji. This movie's effects were fantastic in the early 90s, and after seeing some of the CGI that is produced today, I think it still holds up well. And all of the characters are interesting, and endearing!
December 4, 2017
Best movie I have ever seen since Jaws!!
November 28, 2017
Solid fun kids film.
½ October 27, 2017
Jumanji is a half-assed Jurassic Park wannabe that replaces dinosaurs with modern day zoo animals and can be best summed up as an anti-animal rights propaganda film by depicting animals as ruthlessly violent and hostile towards humans. In addition, the movie suffers from half-assed special effects and mediocre writing that makes a board game the villain of the movie.
October 27, 2017
????? ????? ???? ?????. ????????????? ? ????????.
October 14, 2017
If you didn't grow up with this, you probably won't enjoy it today.
July 24, 2017
This movie just has something I liked. Watched it in college, a lot.
July 24, 2017
Johnston's film is a triumph decades after its release, still horrifyingly scary throughout with a tone that could easily match any horror film before and after it. Performances are excellent from both Dunst and Pierce who act far above their age. Hunt and Williams are equally as good, the latter doesn't show much of his comedy but more of his emotial ability with a role that at times is rather difficult to like until the third act. Special effects look good even for its age, slowly coming upto three decades old it does show signs but ultimately still looks the part.
July 22, 2017
Great fun for the whole family
July 18, 2017
This is one of my all time favourite films. It's one of those kids movies that has a weird creepy edge to it. The special effects were great for the time, and Robin Williams usually grating personality worked well with this character. GOOD!
July 16, 2017
Watched this as a kid. Still find it enjoyable.
July 16, 2017
This has always been one of my favourite movies as a youngster. It takes a classic board game concept and adapts it into the most spectacular fantasy novel for kids all over the world. Once you start playing, you have to continue until the end otherwise the world will be forever burdened with the various monsters and calamities that each roll of the dice brings. At first we see bats, mosquito's and monkeys, with the more torrential monsoons, earthquakes and stampedes arriving shortly after, so simply taking your turn is never that easy when you spend the majority of time running away. Of course, for a children's film, what in your head is quite a horror environment, is all done fairly kid friendly so it won't lead to too many nightmares, but the scene where the adults become trapped in quicksand, just as giant spiders arrive to walk up to their faces was not a nice predicament. The various riddles produced each turn create that element of suspense as you work out what monstrosity is on its way next, it really does captivate the imagination and keep the adventure moving throughout. There are a few moments of promoting family values in this which really fall by the weigh side as all the younger generation will want to do is be engrossed by the game itself. I'm surprised there was never a sequel produced as the concept lends itself to continuing as various people stumble across the game, and the catastrophes that occur each round could be endless - I would actually love a proper horror version of this with a bit of blood and gore, as I can see that working easily. Perhaps I should get writing and sell my story to the highest bidder!
½ July 2, 2017
Eh, scared me as a kid
½ July 2, 2017
Stunning acting by robin Williams in this classic movie