Lone Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lone Star Reviews

½ July 29, 2017
Very nice exemplar of the 90's cinema. Powerful, well acted, non-conventional western with a touch of mystery.
½ March 31, 2017
Slow moving snore fest about a cop who is trying to solve an old murder. Racism is all over the place here. The story just didn't grab me. The acting was average.
½ December 11, 2016
A slow ride, but one that delivers. I watched it twenty years after its cinematic release and it holds up because the story is good and the acting is quality. The "reveal" at the end left this movie setting we me days after watching it. I recommend watching it if you haven't already seen it.
September 12, 2016
A beautifully crafted film that has just about everything. Murder, racism, inter-generational conflict and just a touch of incest.. Awesome stuff.
August 21, 2016
A bit too slow, but a good story overall. Cooper has a great presence on screen and is charming to watch.
May 31, 2016
I was very happy with this film, the writing is on point it is well acted and is entertaining throughout. The film has a Cohen brothers quality to it in its story telling and setting. The flashback scenes are done seamlessly and really add a lot to the story. The only drawback of this film is that there are a couple scenes that feel out of place and slow the story down a bit. This is a definite classic that has withstood the test of time. I will also add that the music/soundtrack of this film is perfect. See this movie.
½ May 23, 2016
An unassuming little cold case, snowballs into one of the most intriguing and Euripidean films of the 90's.
May 3, 2016
Just not my type of movie.
March 20, 2016
Not a great film. It's got a pretty strong cast, the best of which are well underused. The story is quite boring and slow and not particularly interesting.
January 3, 2016
Brilliant movie, great as a great novel.
January 1, 2016
The mystery itself is of little to no importance since this really is about the people, and Sayles clearly is a filmmaker with great compassion. Lone Star is the apex of indie filmmaking in the '90s and an extraordinarily engrossing film that reads just like a fine piece of literature.
August 29, 2015
Unfortunately, I'll never be able to see this movie as it is stuck inside of my VHS player rendering it inoperable. It wouldn't play and it won't eject and no a butter knife won't work it out of there.
July 20, 2015
Gives up on exploring the murder mystery and decides to beat the viewer around the head for two hours with anti-racism stuff.
½ July 10, 2015
A very good movie made with talent and deserving of its praise,Lone star will please any fan of good cinema and murder mystery. The Character are rich and well acted and the different plots that tie very well to the main plot are meaningful.Everything serves a story very well written and directed by the same man ,John Sayles.Lone star is worth your time.
½ June 9, 2015
Great movie.

Even better than expected. Billed as a murder-mystery, it is that, and more. The murder-mystery part is very original and intriguing, and you're kept guessing right to the end.

Around this, writer-director John Sayles spins several human-drama stories, spanning 40 years, each of which deserve a movie of their own. Even the relationships side is not without intrigue, so the whole movie requires you to piece together the puzzle, like a good drama should.

Superb performance by Chris Cooper in the lead role. How he didn't get an Oscar nomination, I don't know. Good support from Elizabeth Pena, Joe Morton and Kris Kristofferson. Matthew McConaughey's character, though crucial to the plot, has very little screen time. Minor appearance from Frances McDormand too.
May 17, 2015
good indie mix of genres but under Sayles direction, it works.
½ May 1, 2015
Good acting but the preachy script sank the movie for me. I tired of having my face rubbed in the injustices inflicted on all the minorities by the Red Necks of the town. Not saying it's not happening but let's get on with the story.
May 1, 2015
Finely acted,finley directed,finely written,finely layered......you get the point.
½ April 1, 2015
An intertwining mystery with an eclectic cast that holds the viewer over its runtime. Well written and paced.
½ March 30, 2015
really well written drama focusing on several ethnic groups in a southern Texas town, as well as both sides of the law, also deals with the border issue, corruption, and the desire of a man trying to live outside the legendary shadow of his father, cooper is really good in the lead, and all the other actors as well, elizabeth pena is so beautiful, its a shame she had to die so young, it does move kind of slowly, i went in thinking the murder would be the main point and that it would be a thriller, but its definitely a drama, it's still very good though, the first movie from john sayles id seen, and it shows hes the real deal