The Stepford Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stepford Wives Reviews

October 18, 2016
A truly unnerving movie guaranteed to make you paranoid, especially if you're a woman. It reaffirms all the worst fears most woman may have, that men, even the ones closest to you, are out to get you and are working to undermine your efforts, lives, and individuality. It's a slow burn, perhaps a bit too slow in certain places for many, but the themes and ideas are certainly enough to keep you griped and thinking long after the movie is over.
½ October 3, 2016
Wonderfully low-key horror with less cheesy jolts and gore to scare the viewers, and more on story. A menacingly slow first half turns into a very scary second half. Stars Katharine Ross and Paula Prentiss give such good performances, playing off of each other well, one serious & one hilarious. Also, cool time capsule of the 70s with a freaky ending! Loved it!
½ July 23, 2016
Still chilling. If I ever have the chance to meet Paula Prentiss (again), I need to tell her that Bobby's transformation (never mind Joanna's) totally gave me the chills. ::shudder:: #IFinallySawIt
½ July 3, 2016
Perhaps playing its cards a little to openly, 'Stepford' is still an engaging slice of sci-fi drama, with a compelling mystery, if a little on the nose, a strong lead in Ross and still relevant social commentary on gender ideals.
June 17, 2016
It's good, but if you've managed to avoid the twist for 40 years, you'll want to add an extra star.
December 24, 2015
Mulheres perfeitas que adoram ser dona de casas, completamente submissas a seus maridos deixa uma nova moradora da cidade desconfiada. Muito interessante o uso da tecnologia para discutir a visão machista sobre o casamento. Atrizes fantásticas, humor inteligente e um bom suspense no final.
½ December 20, 2015
A bunch of guys in suburbia want to turn their wives into look alike robots that dress and act differently from their flesh and blood originals. As a feminist I find the idea repugnant, though I'm sure neither womankind nor mankind would wish to be killed and replaced by a robot. That's not the only disturbing part of Mr. masterson's dreadful movie. The living women are portrayed as agents of destruction who do not enjoy sex very much, want to dress like teen age boys all of the time, and whose sole mission in life is to use marriage as a method to infiltrate mankind in order to sabotage it. Of course, men are portrayed as insensitive, unfeeling and selfish. All this when the women's rights movement was at its apex. The movie emphasizes all of the ugly aspects of women's rights without in any way giving heed to any positive results the movement could have yielded.
When the katherine ross character and her annoying friend, portrayed just as annoyingly by paula prentiss, spy on a drugstore owner lifting his wife to new heights of nirvana through love making, ms. prentiss convinces ms. ross that the guy's wife is robot, because how could a drug store owner, basically described as being ugly besides being just a drug store owner ,get such a reaction from such a beautiful woman. There is never any second guessing or no one in the film is able to develop an independent perspective on things. In a way, the movie is for the most part correct that the population is coerced into accepting the media's one dimensional values, that is the way that it is correct , that it self reinforces the values of following the herd and not developing any thoughts of one's own.
It doesn't matter if there is any entertainment value in the stepford wives, it is too simplistic and repugnant to be watched.
Later, mr. masterson would go on to make The best little whorehouse in texas, which would seem to be a sequel to his stepford wives.
½ December 1, 2015
Takes a long time to get going, but it's still a good, topical, film.
½ May 21, 2015
This film could be anyting. A 40 year old film labled as a horror/mystery/sci-fi. 30 years later it was remade - this time as a comedy. I never saw that one, but this one was OK.

Some families living in Stepford seem a bit weird. Especially to Joanna Eberhart and her new friend. Joanna just moved to the place and she feels that every woman are so clean, pretty, boring and stiff. OK plot, with loads of possibilities. The build up is very detailed, and no such things as horror or sci-fi apears until 1.20 or so of the playtime. That's a bit too much.

I see why it was re-presented as a comedy. It's not that this is a bad film - it's all right. The story is cool and original and I'm never bored - for some weird reason I don't loose attention.

The re-make won't be seen, but this was not a big theat either. A loose horror/sci-fi, that's more a drama film with some story that was unrealistic.

5.5 out of 10 pencil portraits.
½ April 6, 2015
It takes a long build-up to what I thought was an obvious conclusion, but the acting was pretty good especially for the timeframe in which this film was made. Yep, they just don't make 'em right anymore.
½ August 13, 2014
It may seem confusing at first, but you keep watching it until the end, it'll all make sense. The story takes a rather leisurely pace, but it takes all the time it needs to showcase the living death that is life in Stepford. To put it bluntly, this is a movie that requires patience, and it doesn't make anything obvious to the viewer. In terms of the characters and script, this has got to be the most anti-sexist film I've ever seen. It's not so much a horror film as it is a scathing commentary on traditional gender roles. The eponymous wives of Stepford are clearly a metaphor for conformity and patriarchal domination. This is why you see most of the women in Stepford being depicted as dead-eyed, housework-obsessed doormats, because the Stepford community itself is basically the realization of a right-wing power fantasy. It's not as though the men fare any better in this movie, because most, if not all men in this movie are depicted as possessive and grotesquely chauvinistic. For me, this is a good movie because it's a rich deconstruction of the suburban dream and traditional gender roles, but the best part is that, even though the premise needs some more exposition, some of this exposition is left to your imagination.
½ August 10, 2014
The Stepford Wives is a slow plodding look at sexism and the fear that might come from an old school way of thinking. It is filled with beautiful women and not so beautiful men. It maintains a very PG atmosphere and feels more on par with a MOTW than a full feature.
Had the film ramped up the misogyny and all the evils that go with it then perhaps it might have held more terror but even the non explanatory ending (common in this time period) can't save The Stepford Wives from being a somewhat dull look at a very important subject.
½ August 4, 2014
the problem with this movie, is that it's extremely boring...
½ July 2, 2014
a great idea but the movie was just ok..
½ June 7, 2014
I really didn't ever need this to be anything more than it was for the first forty minutes - a weird, quick-witted piece of creepy suburbia satire. Turning any of it gothic is just unnecessary and incredibly annoying.
May 26, 2014
Freaky movie from master author Ira Levin, who wrote "Rosemary's Baby" among others. The movie came out during the days of the Womens' Liberation Movement. So, in that way, it is a commentary on women wanting more independence with the men trying to keep them in "their place."

What ensues again proves Levin's mastery of creating a great plot, and beautifully following through with it. The film greatly benefits from William Goldman's screenplay adaptation and Owen Roizman's superior cinematography.
May 18, 2014
Too long and overrated, but had a great spooky atmosphere and acting.
March 13, 2014
The reason why I got the original on DVD is not just because I enjoyed it when I first rented it on VHS; it's because of the remake that was out during the DVD release; and, after seeing the crazy, comedic remake, I honestly prefer the original classic, which is more of a drama. This is worth it.
March 13, 2014
TheDudeLebowski65
March 12, 2014
Interesting, and eerie horror film, The Stepford Wives is one of those films that takes its time with the plot to grab you in, and it works. There are terrific elements in the script that make this a standout picture, one that can resonate with the viewer and make for a memorable, tense and thrilling horror going experience. The acting here deliver some great performances and each bring something unique to the film that enhances the film's story even more. The Stepford Wives is a stunning film, one that is a genre classic, and if you enjoy old school horror, then this is a must see film. The film's story is well layered and keeps you involved from start to finish. The film has plenty of atmosphere and tension to really make it stand out, and the storyline is well constructed, thought out, and is one of the most thrilling Sci Fi horror pictures of the 1970's. The idea here is simple, yet effective enough while delivering a film that is sure to delight genre fans. The Stepford Wives is a great horror film, one that is subtle, yet disturbing at the same time. The film uses the conspiracy angle to tell its story. The Script is smart, intriguing and keeps you on the edge of your seat till the very end. The film concerns a group of men who replace their wives with humanoid robots. This is a well acted film aided by a well thought out script that makes for a truly memorable viewing experience. The tone is subtle, but the subject is tackled with a steady pace, in order to make this a standout genre film, and even if you know how it might end, the strength of the previous hour or so makes it an impressive picture worth seeing. Director Bryan Forbes pulls off a horror tour de force that is not perfect, but is nonetheless a very good movie that horror fans will surely enjoy.