Hannibal Reviews

• 3d ago

Boring, underachieved sequel for Silence of the Lambs. All the characters were off. Very disappointing.

• Oct 11, 2020

I always liked this film. An enjoyable outing with everyone's favourite shrink. Kinda missed Jodie Foster but I got passed that.

• Sep 18, 2020

The critics consensus stating the film's major flaw lies within the relationship & interactions between Clarice & Hannibal, has been used over and over for almost 20 yrs since the films release. So 1st point, it's so annoying to just hear that one criticism rehashed. 2nd point, it's a weak case for criticism. The characters had aged 10 years from Silence to Hannibal. Clarice was a TRAINEE back then, here she has been a FULL AGENT for those 10 yrs. Hannibal went from a decade in strict captivity to a decade of freedom & re-entering (European) society. She went from training under (trustworthy) Crawford to having a superior like Krendler and all the corruption within the FBI. So she is a VERY changed woman from the Clarice in Silence AND likewise he is a very different Hannibal. And that's just a tiny example of all the changes their characters would go through in those 10 years. Why would you want them to be the same? Silence was brilliant for that dynamic between the 2, Why would you expect a sequel to have the same formula between the 2 characters? What makes Hannibal such a unique, powerful and wholly successful sequel IS due to the fact that the chemistry between them has changed, their perceptions of themselves and each other have changed, their sympathies have changed, their priorities have changed, THEY HAVE CHANGED. So it's become extremely frustrating to hear so many just repeat the same critique AND in addition that criticism lacking originality. As I have explained it is not even.a sensible or rational or pertinent critique. 10 years have passed, They become different people, therefore they have become different characters, and therefore the 2 characters will interact differently. It's not rocket science.

• Sep 08, 2020

Very mediocre sequel starring Anthony Hopkins. I'll forget about this movie in 2 days.

• Jul 16, 2020

The film as a whole was pretty rotten to say the least. The cinematography was of the worst quality, and the acting was not too good either (save, perhaps, Anthony Hopkins). The replacing of Clarice's actor (switching Julianne Moore with Jodie Foster) was not a good move at all. Overall, this film was a terrible sequel, and we all could have gone without it; a terrible waste of time.

• Jul 08, 2020

In terms of sequels, Hannibal is pretty solid and delivers. While it obviously doesn't top the 1991 super classic predecessor, it's an interesting movie, with it's suspenseful moments and occasional horror sequences. The film is also an opportunity to continue the eerie and twisted relationship between Hannibal Lecter and Clarice, although it doesn't really dive as deep as it could. The acting is one of the main assets. Julianne Moore is good as Clarice, although I don't know why they didn't just stick with Jodie Foster, who played that role in the first movie. But the one to really steal the show is Anthony Hopkins, he's still so bone chilling as the titular cannibal. Overall, I enjoyed Hannibal, it's a good follow up to a classic horror movie. Recommended, after seeing the first film!!

• Jul 03, 2020

The cast all give strong performances that easily keep you interested for the entire movie; however, while Hannibal was a intriguing character in small doses from previous films, the character shown in this film is pompous, snobby and childish, not the charming, dangerous, and complicated character Hannibal is supposed to be.

• Jul 02, 2020

What worked in the book works here, however Moore is a terrible choice and the changes were all for the worse.

• Jun 24, 2020

Not bad for a meat eating man

Not bad for a meat eating man

• Jun 23, 2020

So I had a look on this thinking this is going to be interesting since years ago I've heard about this knowing for the fact that my mum rented it from a video store along with Red Dragon, 28 Days Later and the remake of House on Haunted Hill. The only thing I didn't notice is that it's actually a sequel to the critically acclaimed film, The Silence of the Lambs which came out about a decade ago not to mention that Manhunter which is directed by Michael Mann which are both based on the novels by Thomas Harris. Since I'm a huge fan of The Silence of the Lambs which is one of my favourite films of all time I have a feeling that Hannibal is gonna be as good as the first but hey, let's give it a try. Ten years ago after tracking down serial killer Jame Gumb aka Buffalo Bill, Special Agent Clarice Starling who is replaced by Julianne Moore is blamed for a shootout at the drug raid. Mason Verger played by Gary Oldman who is not recognisable but is recognisable with his voice whether he is paralyzed and brutally disfigured by Hannibal Lecter, played brilliantly once again by Anthony Hopkins, and the rest goes on. After the success of Gladiator, Ridley Scott decided that he can direct Hannibal and it became unclear Jodie Foster would return since she won an Oscar for her role but she decides she doesn't want to do it so she was replaced by Julianne Moore. So what do I think of Hannibal, the sequel? Hmm, It's actually quite good. I mean, again it's not as good as The Silence of the Lambs. Yes it is bloody in parts, in fact, it's even gruesome and sick and quite bizarre than the first film. I even found the brain-eating scene sick and twisted. However I prefer The Silence of the Lambs over Hannibal. It won five Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins, Best Actress for Jodie Foster, Best Director and Best Writing. Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter is always something that gives people the chills whenever he kills his victims but doesn't want to kill Clarice Starling. He is such a great a great character. So since Hannibal came out a decade after The Silence of the Lambs and since it came out years ago many people love it or hate it, for me I go for the positive side. People love it for it's gruesome, sick twisted nature while some will find it lacking. If you really enjoyed The Silence of the Lambs like I do then you better bring your freshly baked liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti for the sequel. "Ta-ta. H."