The Time Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Time Machine Reviews

September 27, 2017
The soundtrack has stucked in my head forever, i have to revisit every now and then.
August 10, 2017
This is an entertaining, but not very thought provoking, popcorn flick version of a more poignant story. It pales in comparison to the original novel, but Guy Pearce and Jeremy Irons make magic that, when combined with the awesome props, production design that feels straight out of the novel, music, and action sequences, carries this otherwise sinking ship to victory. To truly enjoy this movie, you have to lower your expectations, but if you do so, you will find the trip to be worth it.
But, this movie does have a lot of flaws. The first and biggest would be that it tries too hard to give a story to a novel that was mostly a series of ideas. The novel and the original picture are fairly simple. A man discovers a way to travel through time, goes to the future where his time machine is missing, and has to teach the people to fight their oppressors so he can get his machine back. This movie introduces a lot of other plot elements and characters that turn it from a thought provoking story that feels like an idea with room to grow to a bloated summer blockbuster. There are things such as a dead girlfriend that prompts the Time Traveler (who has a name this time around, Alexander,) to go BACK in time to figure out a way to save her. However, every attempt fails, and he decides to shoot forward into the future to figure out why he can't change the past. This is the main focus of the film. This is unfortunate, because while it is a good idea, it would be much more suitable in another film that has nothing to do with the Time Machine. This is what the writers hope the takeaway is, but the original novel had a much more thought provoking and scary central idea, where we learn that the peaceful and human looking Eloi AREN'T the direct evolution of humanity, and that they are an offshoot of the Morlocks, the cave dwelling creatures that use the Eloi as slaves. It goes from a grim look at the future to a hopeful story about learning to fight back against your oppressors, and while I think this is a diversion from the original idea, it isn't the worst thing they could have done. It just reduces the movie to a feel good summer blockbuster instead of a sci-fi drama. However, great performances and music help the movie to soar. All in all, it is definitely enjoyable, but it isn't as good as reading the novel for the first time. If you want a more accurate adaptation, watch the 1960 George Pal version, which is also very entertaining.
March 5, 2017
One of my all time favourite films. Have watched several times, never get tired of it!
January 25, 2017
This movie will always be one of my favorites of all time. I only wish it was longer so I could have spent more time in this world. Not sure why people have so much hate for it, this is pretty much everything I wanted from this movie and more. The musical score alone is enough to keep you happy for awhile. Haters are gonna hate, but this is one movie that I have to watch on a regular basis.
½ January 1, 2017
An uninspired remake. It was boring and made me sleepy. Watch the 1960 version instead. (First and only viewing - 5/23/2010)
½ December 29, 2016
Remake remade by most digital technology, not to mention the presence of real actors and a bad as Jeremy Irons only seen in the last scenes
December 24, 2016
A simplistic yet entertaining adaptation that eliminates the smart social commentary found in H. G. Wells' story and focuses on a lot of action with very little imagination, but while it has some problems, it will be enough fun for time travel fans.
October 27, 2016
I wanted this to be good and it wasn't.
½ October 5, 2016
It just wasn't very interesting. Never saw the original but thankfully it wasn't too long.
September 22, 2016
I enjoyed this Sci-fi film based on the novel by H.G. Wells. I wish the film had a little bit more storyline for some of the scenes depicting the main character traveling to the future.
August 27, 2016
The time machine is another generic sci-fi thriller that it so bad it's good
August 14, 2016
An underrated film which I found very enjoyable. It's a new take on the novel by H.G. Wells, which IMO is even better than the book!
July 28, 2016
Time Machine has a good concept, but the execution wasn't good. Confusing story, dull performance, good action, and the special effects were good, but either then that it was a dull film.
June 16, 2016
has quite a pedigree since its directed by the author's great grandson Simon Wells and today's EFX but they still stole from the 1960 version in all, not a bad remake at all.
½ May 6, 2016
It's muddled and has tone shifting issues, but it's worth the watch to see Jeremy Irons as a Morlock.
March 30, 2016
3/30/2016: I haven't read the book, but I assume the film was a complete disaster compared to it. There really wasn't anything good about the movie. There were sparks of potential, but everything just fell flat.
½ February 24, 2016
I guess I enjoyed this movie more than most did....it wasn't perfect and had lots of potential but it's still a very solid Sci-Fi flick.
January 28, 2016
"What If?"

***

This Is A Movie That Makes You Think About How Short 120 Minutes Are; What If A Movie Could Be Longer, Would It Be, More Developed: Then What It Was?

A Lot Of Things Were Way Under Developed But I Don't Think It Will Diminish The Entertainment All That Much.

I Give This Film A C + (Common) ***
September 4, 2015
I really liked this movie. I thought it brought an unexpected adventure and it definately wasn't as recognized as it should have been. It starts out in the early 19th Century as a love story then turns into a wild adventure. It has futuristic characters and sci-fi scenes and movie monsters that came out of the blue. In my eyes, this was a hidden gem.