Enough - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Enough Reviews

July 12, 2016
JLo has *definitely* had "Enough!!"
July 2, 2016
great movie!
especially training and kicking ass part!
June 19, 2016
one of my favourites
½ May 14, 2016
Movies about abusive husbands are no fun - neither are movies about impossible outcomes.
May 11, 2016
I've seen this movie a few times and always enjoy it.
May 4, 2016
Incredibly irritating due to its silliness and illogical protagonist. She makes so many stupid decisions, by the time the end comes, you won't care anymore and will just be praying for it to be over.
February 28, 2016
If judged on the basis of a competent thriller about domestic violence and female empowerment, Michael Apted's Enough is a pretty scattershot mess of incredulous circumstances, flat characters, and questionable decisions made by said characters. If judged on the basis of a pulpy novel come to life, Enough becomes a very watchable piece of fluff, one with an impressive focus on pacing and helplessness. This is one of the few films that comes along in my queue where I am simply torn between my personal fondness for the material and the plot, but my slight disappointment with the end result.

The film revolves around a Los Angeles waitress named Slim (Jennifer Lopez), who slaves away at a diner with her best friend Ginny (Juliette Lewis). One day, a man (Noah Wyle) comes in with a plan to take Slim out on a date until another customer, Mitch Hiller (Billy Campbell), reveals that he is only doing so because of a bet he made with his friend. Slim is taken by Mitch's low-key heroism and the two decide to begin dating. We see their relationship evolve into a marriage with a young daughter (Tessa Allen) in montage before we zero in after the two have been married for sometime. Mitch begins cheating on Slim with a coworker, and once Slim catches him red-handed, Mitch doesn't respond in the usual way of defending himself or claiming he has a problem. He justifies it by telling her that there are some sacrifices she needs to make being that she now has a husband who provides for her and their daughter much more than she could ever provide for just herself. When Slim retaliates, Mitch responds with a brutal punch. And so it begins.

Slim is flabbergasted, but her options are dreadfully minimal. Divorce is not an option because Mitch won't let her go, running away only works for a short time, since Mitch has several friends and private investigator connections that can find her just as quickly as she can run, and her increasing time away from Mitch only helps him during the inevitable custody battle for Gracie. Slim tries everything, from inquiring the help of Ginny on several occasions, assuming a late woman's identity, to even showing up at her wealthy, estranged father's (Fred Ward) doorstep to beg for money. He gives her $12, as opposed to his usual $6, because not only does he want Slim to "but herself a sandwich," he wants Gracie to have one too.

If absolutely nothing else, screenwriter Nicholas Kazan (writer of Bicentennial Man) conveys Slim's helplessness pretty well here, showing just how complicated it is for women in abusive relationships. It's hard enough to survive, let alone provide, with this kind of albatross, and never does Kazan blame Slim, demean her, or disrespect her character. Say what you want about how incredulous the film gets with certain situations, particularly Slim's situation with her father and Mitch's goons having nothing better to do than meticulously follow their friends' wife's every move, but Kazan always treats his protagonist as someone with a lot of options that all, sooner or later, end in dead-ends.

In addition, Kazan and Apted work well in pacing Enough, crafting a film that's frequently unsettling and methodical, as we're given time to spend with both Slim and Gracie. The trouble with this is that time showing Slim and Mitch's relationship together is so desperately limited; one scene they're meeting for the first time under a downright absurd circumstance, the very next they're married. One can infer just by logic and situational probability that Mitch had to have shown a protective or aggressive side during their time together before he hit her, so it's strange as to how Slim, a perfectly reasonable and initially hard-hearted person, would fall in love so quickly with a man she barely knew.

These are certain details that are difficult to look past, and bog down Enough to where it doesn't succeed as anything other than pulpy entertainment. Even the end scene, which feels like grown ups doing their best impression of Home Alone, as slickly conceived and as satisfying as it is, feels corny and all too convenient. Once again, it's burdened by Kazan rushing to finish up the film, glossing through the methodical process of Slim's confidence building and training, to get to the credits before the two-hour mark since much of the time was spent on conjuring up suspense. While Kazan and Apted did fine work in one area of Enough, the area I initially assumed would lack, they did that part extraordinarily well and liberally and simultaneously handicapped any kind of buildup to the cause and the concluding effect/end-result. This makes the film feel significantly lopsided.

In the end, I can't shake Enough off my hands as quickly and as cleanly as most thrillers. This early 2000's era brought some truly good mysteries and suspenseful films; the Final Destination franchise began, for one, and even one-off thrillers like One Hour Photo instilled an uncommonly disturbing amount of fear and dread in their audiences. Simply put, even with all the shortcomings and lopsided chronological problems considered, Enough is the kind of film that, if time is in my favor and I find it on Television about forty minutes in, I will probably watch it till the end.

Starring: Jennifer Lopez, Billy Campbell, Juliette Lewis, Noah Wyle, and Fred Ward. Directed by: Michael Apted.
½ February 2, 2016
Una camarera conoce a un chico encantador con quien termina casándose, millonario, guapo, distinguido.. pero es un maltratador y elal es víctima de cada paliza, luego de haber casi perdido la vida, decide iniciar una nueva vida, y al ver que no va a poder hacerlo decide entrenarse para poder defenderse de su agresor y así salvar su vida. Con J-Lo como Slim y Billy Campbell como Mitch.
½ September 24, 2015
Easy watch worth seeing
June 26, 2015
Empowering only into a headache.
June 8, 2015
enjoyable. Good enough haha see what I did there!?! The realism of it is questionable but it is 13 years old.
June 7, 2015
I still love watching Jennifer fuck that dude up.
May 29, 2015
I don't really like JLo's performance but the film has a positive message!
May 1, 2015
TRIGGER WARNING IN EFFECT! This is one of the funniest films of 2002! Yes the issue of spousal abuse is serious and not to be mocked, this film on the other hand is. Mitch literally changes over night after they're married into this evil SOB which she endures for the reasons of making the movie happen. So when Slim (to not associate her with a real person) finally decides to leave he uses is money and power to track her down.
I will note of this movie glosses over the psychology of the victim in favor of cliche exposition and one liners but...
His squad of phony FBI agents is the cherry on top, as they do not bother to call the police or us marshals to get any confirmation on this. Then only then does she seek out the aid of her biological father some ex-mafioso ex-boxer who dismisses her like so many other people claiming to be his illegitimate child. Now Slim has proof to back her claim but waits until she's storming out in a huff to show it to him, now a real person would have showed him the proof in the first two minutes but moving on...
So then she takes MMA and becomes empowered by her fathers money and hatches an elaborate plan to murder her husband to escape his cycle of violence. This is where it becomes laughable, she moved his knives and gun(s?) and jammed the cell phone. Then goads Mitch into fisticuffs. And ultimately defeats him and he dies (avoiding the morality of her actually killing him) but here's the thing; her plan was DEPENDENT on Mitch fighting her at the end when he had no reson to. the court date for the child was coming and he could have easily gone to the neighbors and called the cops. Slim broke into his home and stole his guns and knives. The sweetest revenge would have been to turn her in.
Now we get to the morality of attack vs self defense. See this all happens because he's an abuser who uses money and power to keep the police on his side? The solution? TO BEAT HIS ASS! now her brand of violence is justified given his past behavior despite the fact it is premeditated homicide. She could have ran, she could have used new found daddy's money to establish a foundation to stake her case in court, but no, she wants revenge and will stop at nothing to get it. It's so laughable and absurd that it becomes a comedy.
February 27, 2015
love it sooo much omg
February 11, 2015
I dont no how to watch it
February 3, 2015
jlo gets beat up and then take charge afterwards its ok
February 1, 2015
Jennifer Lopez sucks as an actor. I always get the impression that she should wear a name tag saying, "Hi,,, I'm Jennifer Lopez."
January 24, 2015
Love love love this movie. I had to have watched this movie like 30 times no lie.