Suicide Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suicide Club Reviews

May 31, 2016
Sono puts it all together extraordinarily and elusively inexplicable where viewing it again would become a more appreciative watch.

Director Shion Sono (Noriko's Dinner Table) writes and directs a piece of bleeding art starring Ryo Ishibashi (The Grudge, Audition) about an inner war that plagues today's youth into committing unprecedented suicides.

Synopsis: Detective Toshiharu Kuroda (Ishibashi) is on a wild goose chase attempting to find who or what is making young teens commit suicide for no apparent reason. When he receives multiple anonymous phone calls pertaining to the self-inflicted deaths, he recognizes that what was more important is what he should have been giving extra attention to in the first place.

One of the most talked about parts in this movie is the unforgettable train scene that "Final Destination 3" wishes it could have surpassed. Just moments before the movie begins, a group of girls line up and throw themselves into the empty tracks of an oncoming train; you can't even imagine the outcome before it's displayed on screen, and might I add, done sickly well.

Now after the best scene in the film is cleared, the rest of it becomes something of an enigma. Nothing psychological, but horribly ethical in a way that society throws us off wondering who we are and what our place is in this world they only control. You'll find yourself questioning the reasons behind the self-inflicted deaths which I must say every suicide scene was a deadly delight and well choreographed by Yoshihiro Nishimura who is well known in Japan in that gory department for his work in "The Machine Girl", "Tokyo Gore Police" and whatever bloody idea's he has up his sleeve for his upcoming "Mutant Girls Squad".

The performances from the cast including Ryo Ishibashi are just as natural as in any fairly acted movie, but Rolly Teranishi (a Japanese musician and music producer who played Muneo "Genesis" Suzuki) played his role provocatively appealing and could benefit from ones attention.
December 28, 2015
the only reason i watched this film was because the director is the same director from "Strange Circus" which i loved. the opening scenes are probably the best out of the whole movie and the story is profound, which i love, but overall this movie didn't really do anything for me.
½ December 16, 2015
A little too muddled effort from Sion Sono. As crazy and weird as Suicide Club is, it doesn't really have the crazy town energy of Sono's later efforts - except for that musical bowling alley scene. The screenplay doesn't seem sharp enough, it ends up getting bogged down by its plot.
½ October 28, 2015
A strange, stylized horror tale told through a detective story. There are way more questions than answers, but that's part of what makes Suicide Club so engaging. [B]
August 27, 2015
I really love Japanese cinema and how dark/grim it is. I've got my hands on many of Sion Sono's movie and this was the first I've seen. The story is about suicides and the detectives trying to find out what/who is causing them. It starts of really disturbing and it never loses that tone. It's disturbing and violent non-stop. I loved that. I love movies which aren't horror, but still manage to disturb and scare you. The story gets very confusing as you reach the end and I even needed to Google the ending to understand it. The acting is excellent, and even the kid actors are good, which is very suprising! The characters are interesting and unpredictable, as is the movie. There were many scenes where I was very suprised by the conclusion. The violence/gore effects are mediocre. You can tell it's fake blood, especially when there are blood splatter effects on windows, walls and such other items. The soundtrack is amazing! It's very dramatic, though the pop music segments were kind of distracting, but it all pays off in the end when everything comes together. All in all, a great thriller with lots of unpredictable moments, a great soundtrack, characters and acting, but could be confusing to some and the blood effects aren't the best. I would recommend checking it out for how unusual and disturbing this movie is!
July 27, 2015
A highly atmospheric film, reminiscent at times of Kubrick's "The Shining." Genuinely frightening. Then, the film seems to morph into a kind of baroque morality tale, which is fine, but obscure. I am not sure I understand the "morality," although the mortality is obvious enough. The gore, like in much of Takashi Miike's work, is pushed beyond any conventional representation into the symbolic. The phone call between the detective (Ryo Ishibashi, a kind of Everyman) and the boy who clears his throat after every sentence, that conversation is the "heart" of the film, if it has a heart, and its moment is eloquent. "What is your connection to yourself?" she asks. The film is, like "Audition" and "The Grudge," and possibly "The Ring," about the eternal return of pain and suffering in a way. How do we address our almost giddy dehumanization that takes place on the most banal level (in the guise of a children's pop music group, "Dessert," for instance)?
May 21, 2015
Poor acting, with average horror scenes finishing with a bizarre ending
May 16, 2015
I liked it, but I feel like I need to see Noriko's Dinner Table before I can maybe fully understand it. I appreciate that there was a sense of humor to it and that the effects were low budget enough that it didn't veer into a truly horrific direction.
May 13, 2015
As an early work by Sion Sono, it has flaws and they're very clear. The film won't conclude itself and will leave questions that remain unanswered, but filled with mistery, suspense and the Sono's characteristic gore, Suicide Club is amongst japanese cult films and enjoyable to anyone who can see beyond the tabboo barrier of suicide, leaving a nice message behind to think about.
March 22, 2015
Very interesting character study with a fairly convoluted and confusing ending, I still enjoyed it though.
½ March 7, 2015
7/10
I didn't know much about the movie, except that it was considered a cult classic. But it was much more than that, it was such a weird and extremely interesting movie, that after doing some research, had a very impactful and rich meaning that tried to convey in a very odd and twisted way. But nonetheless, it's one of those movies that truly tries to mess with you, with what may seem a lot of random stuff, that eventually comes full circle when you least expect it.
~March 7, 2015~
November 1, 2014
Hilarious black comedy that gives you that all-to-rare feeling of watching a truly singular, uncompromised original vision. It's not perfect (e.g., The Bat seems really promising and cool and then just suddenly becomes irrelevant to the plot and disappears) but it is entertainingly bizarre in ways that reminded me of Lynch; not necessarily stylistically, but just in that exciting confidence of ideas.
½ September 12, 2014
You'll either love it, or you'll hate it [depending if you can stomach it, that is] there's no in between. Don't go in expecting traditional formula, there's nothing reassuring or feel-good here despite it being darkly funny and relentlessly gripping.
June 27, 2014
Sounds really interesting
May 31, 2014
Whilst I personally enjoyed it, (and could quite easily list it as one of my favourite films) it's extremely important to note that it requires a very specific type of audience.
Due to its shocking presentation of an extremely sensitive subject matter, this is not a film for the light-hearted. To be able to appreciate this movie properly you will also need to be extremely open-minded as it leaves a lot to interpretation and requires a lot of reading between the lines.
That being said, this movie manages to successfully combine several different genres, an attempt they many movies try, yet few succeed in.
The story is incredible, (though very cryptic.) The characters are realistic and relatable, and the social commentary is as both bizarre as it is modern.
(I would write more, but I feel this is already too long.... I'll post a full review on my tumblr) Great movie, highly recommend.
½ May 25, 2014
"are you connected to yourself?"
½ May 14, 2014
This one really squanders it's potential. The concept and opening to the film are really the only main attractions of it, and I suppose the rest of the attributes confine it to a definite cult status.
½ April 22, 2014
Bizarre yet horrifyingly entertaining, this Japanese cult hit might get confusing at times, but it's chilling direction saves it, making it a unique watch.
April 17, 2014
Very disturbing in many ways, but very boring in other ways. The movie many times feels unfocused and it even sometimes feels like there are sequences that just simply dont matter too much for the main plot or any other subplots. The movie ultimately reaches its main disturbing goal, but not without stumbling along the way.