Crash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crash Reviews

February 19, 2017
Think that they may have overexaggerated a little bit with the racism issue, but it was very thought provoking.
February 12, 2017
cool how everything ties together. pretty intense.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 1, 2017
I understood the points that it was making about racism, but, just didn't enjoy the flow of the movie despite the great cast
½ January 22, 2017
A great movie with a great cast and sub-plots of individual characters coming together in one plot. Worthy of a Best Picture nominee.
December 31, 2016
Powerfully acted and emotionally involving, Crash features a message that remains important even today.
½ December 14, 2016
Crash has great ambition to be a movie about an important issue, and it is loaded with high-quality actors who aspire to make it a powerful film. Sadly, the end result didn't come out so good. The first big flaw in the movie is that basically all the characters are one-dimensional. No one has any nuance, and you realize within seconds of meeting them whether they are "good" or "bad". Perhaps the best example of this is Sandra Bullock, who plays a horrendous woman that no one would want to interact with at any time from the first moment she opens her mouth. There's very little progression in the story for any of the characters either. Sure, they endure difficult events, but almost no one is actually changed in any significant way. At best we see people are forced to confront their own prejudice, but each individual story cuts off as soon as they reach that point of clarity and we don't see any after effects or growth. This is the part of Crash that bothered me the most, it didn't seem to have a point. I mean, is the point that racism still exists in 2004 L.A.? As if anyone doesn't know that. Perhaps the point is that everybody is racist in some ways, and every race is discriminated against by someone? If that were the case we'd need more authentic characters we could relate to in order to see our own prejudices thrown in our faces. Also, the movie doesn't suggest a way of healing or moving past our prejudices, it just portrays racism as a natural phenomenon that cycles around and will never end. Crash even botches the most powerful moments by obviously foreshadowing them for us, so I wasn't impacted emotionally. It's a bad film made by misguided people who somehow made their point in a way that the Academy appreciated, but I did not.
½ November 28, 2016
I've seen a lot of hate on this movie as being one of the worst Best Picture winners. While I don't think its Best Picture worthy, its still a solid drama. If you take away the expectations that come from the awards its won, its a solid drama that examines societal problems that still resonate today.
October 23, 2016
Puntaje Original: 4.5

Si una película logró insultar a cada persona en cada rincón del planeta, ésta fue Crash, y al parecer esta mi*rda logró ganar el Oscar a mejor película.
½ October 17, 2016
First half: BOO! 4/10
Most gritty movies can go 5 minutes without saying an f-bomb, but this movie can't go 10 minutes without at least mentioning racism twice. A cop gives a very thorough search: racism. An Iranian argues with a locksmith over a door: racism. A couple of black guys scare a white woman, and she talks about it after they robbed her car: racism.
Second half: horizontal thumb 6/10
We instead see most truly good scenes about different races getting along and the cinematography and music is striking, but clearly its to close everything we saw in the first half.
In the end, this best picture winner is higher than The Greatest Show on Earth and Out of Africa but lower than Kramer vs Kramer. Do know what is the only good thing about this movie, Brendan Fraser is actually in a good film.
½ October 4, 2016
Cliche, cliche, cliche
October 2, 2016
This was a great movie, very entertaining and had a solid story.
September 23, 2016
Awesome! It was Spectaculare! I've rarely seen a movie like that.
½ September 17, 2016
Written and directed by Paul Haggis, this Best Picture-winner (an undeserving upset over Ang Lee's terrific Brokeback Mountain, a much more noteworthy allegory of human discrimination) drowns in its belligerent vanity and does so pitilessly, nearly pulling the well-intentioned genre -- self-romantic as it is here -- to the cooker with it. In its defense (a half-serious attempt at reconciliation for those who have mounted it as a "classic") it took a couple viewings for me to grow repelled by it -- to be honest, I, like most, was initially swept into acceptance of its audacity by its pinnacle moments -- but, even as soon as the opening frames of my first rehash, the musty stench of its arrogance engulfed me and I was again scooped by the product, this time ashamed at its malice and bewildered by its vindictive nature.

Structurally, Crash is a resounding example of unconformity (though its rearranged chronology is an ever-growing theme and its multi-focal yarn is an age-old cliche of priggish cinema, yet not always implemented by films of such). It is likely to become the template by which many subsequent mystery/thrillers are drawn, though that wouldn't be all that bad: it hooks its audience by immediately proposing a problem to which the answer comes together, piece-by-piece, as the story -- which jumps backwards, then proceeds in real-time, ending with its opening scene -- progresses. As we the audience travel alongside the film's event timeline, our attention is maintained thoroughly by its three climaxes, which are evenly distributed within the film's last half. Yet what is unrealized by a majority of viewers is that while their emotions have been forged and manipulated by these peaks, the movie's story -- and more specifically its script (co-penned by Bobby Moresco) -- runs amok in a cesspool of racially-directed propaganda, which is grossly mistaken for morally-motivated and "necessary" exposure to the cultural/ethnic differences that set aside and bring hardship to the diverse citizens of America (or, in this particular case, Los Angeles).

Crash is a textbook example of exploitation, presented with a slew of disgustingly (and abnormally) xenophobic characters, each of whom spit bigoted slurs as if they were the letters of the alphabet. Simply put, when it tries to address intolerance (which occurs with just about every interaction -- an unfortunate truth), it is smothered rather by its own impudence, which appears more political than it does substantial. In fact, Crash is packed so tight full of asinine stereotypes that, if it exploded into a million pieces, its fragments would have enough false piety in them to supply their own feature-length pictures. The film's self-importance swallows all of its positive qualities (which admittedly are not in short supply and include winning efforts by Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard, and Michael Pena) and amasses to an indigestible cinematic experience without the uplift of conciliatory sensitivity or social spotlighting, which it almost embarrassingly thinks it embodies (and forever will, thanks to its three Oscars and national acclaim).
½ September 12, 2016
"Crash" has good intentions, but it tries to make a statement about race with an emotionally-manipulative, clumsily-written story occupied by thinly-written, stereotypical characters.
September 8, 2016
Diversity is a bit difficult to be defined, but Crash overcomes that subject with an excellent direction and powerful performances from a crowded, but a very well-chosen cast.
September 8, 2016
Um roteiro muito bonito e um elenco em ótima forma resultam num filme que surpreende do início ao fim.
½ September 5, 2016
very cliche. did not even deserve to be nominated for best picture let alone win it. no likeable chatacters at all. i know it was trying to give insight into race descrimination but the characters were just so dumb that it backfired and none of the characters learned a thing.
August 23, 2016
Don Cheadle stands out in this excellent film about human nature's weaknesses.
½ August 23, 2016
Paul Haggis's 2004 "Crash", is perhaps one of the, if not the most controversial film to have ever received the Academy Award for Best Picture, not because of how it beat other, more important films in 2005, but because of the films structure. In this review, I will not be talking about the Oscar, but the film itself. In my opinion, I don't think crash is a terrible movie, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, and I am going to explain why. "Crash, a film about racial equality told thru multiple different people with their own racial problems in Los Angeles, is a incredibly descent movie, despite its Oscar baiting topic. The movie is filled with fantastic, beautiful, and incredible performances from the star studded class. Despite the actors not having a whole lot to work with, they still turn out great performances. I especially mind those of Sandra Bullock, who plays a white rich woman, and Matt Dillion, who plays a racist cop. Despite the actors not having a whole lot to work with, they still deliver fantastic performances, doing their best to make the characters feel real. I also mind "Crash" beautiful and intense scenes. There are a handful that stand out. Those scenes are composed of perfect editing, beautiful chorography, and fantastic writing from Paul Haggis's Screenplay in order to make a dramatic scene twice as dramatic and intense. But the thing that stands out to me, is the films message at the end. Despite all of the challenges the characters have went thru, the film delivers a ending message that is memorable, mature and realistic. And a good film must always have a great message towards it, and "Crash" message, is great. However, every film is not without its critism, and Crash is a film worthy of critism. For starters, the films characters mostly rely on their racial equality to the Carrie the film out, and their racial equality is an incredibly cartoonish and steypytical Hollywood look at race, rather it being immigration, African American steyotrypes, or even the characters economical class. The film could of done something different with the characters race, but instead comes off in a typical Hollywood offensive delevry. Another thing about the film that really piss me off, is how those perfect scenes I mention that perfect because of its editing, chorography, timing, patients, acting, music and most importantly writing, are then butchered up at the end of the scene to give us a satisfying ending, the audiences wont have to worry about, and instead feel better about our self's. This is incredibly stupid, because your wasting your time on perfect team work, and end it with a pointless meaning. Instead of making it memorable, the filmmakers instead make it pointless and meaningless, even if it well make the film incredibly sad. If you want to do something memorable, look at the ending of Do the Right Thing. So at the end of the day, Crash is a Okay movie that I recommended you go see. The film has great acting, descent writing, and memorable scenes. However, I still give it a mix review and a 2.5/5 stars.