Crash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crash Reviews

September 23, 2016
Awesome! It was Spectaculare! I've rarely seen a movie like that.
½ September 17, 2016
Written and directed by Paul Haggis, this Best Picture-winner (an undeserving upset over Ang Lee's terrific Brokeback Mountain, a much more noteworthy allegory of human discrimination) drowns in its belligerent vanity and does so pitilessly, nearly pulling the well-intentioned genre -- self-romantic as it is here -- to the cooker with it. In its defense (a half-serious attempt at reconciliation for those who have mounted it as a "classic") it took a couple viewings for me to grow repelled by it -- to be honest, I, like most, was initially swept into acceptance of its audacity by its pinnacle moments -- but, even as soon as the opening frames of my first rehash, the musty stench of its arrogance engulfed me and I was again scooped by the product, this time ashamed at its malice and bewildered by its vindictive nature.

Structurally, Crash is a resounding example of unconformity (though its rearranged chronology is an ever-growing theme and its multi-focal yarn is an age-old cliche of priggish cinema, yet not always implemented by films of such). It is likely to become the template by which many subsequent mystery/thrillers are drawn, though that wouldn't be all that bad: it hooks its audience by immediately proposing a problem to which the answer comes together, piece-by-piece, as the story -- which jumps backwards, then proceeds in real-time, ending with its opening scene -- progresses. As we the audience travel alongside the film's event timeline, our attention is maintained thoroughly by its three climaxes, which are evenly distributed within the film's last half. Yet what is unrealized by a majority of viewers is that while their emotions have been forged and manipulated by these peaks, the movie's story -- and more specifically its script (co-penned by Bobby Moresco) -- runs amok in a cesspool of racially-directed propaganda, which is grossly mistaken for morally-motivated and "necessary" exposure to the cultural/ethnic differences that set aside and bring hardship to the diverse citizens of America (or, in this particular case, Los Angeles).

Crash is a textbook example of exploitation, presented with a slew of disgustingly (and abnormally) xenophobic characters, each of whom spit bigoted slurs as if they were the letters of the alphabet. Simply put, when it tries to address intolerance (which occurs with just about every interaction -- an unfortunate truth), it is smothered rather by its own impudence, which appears more political than it does substantial. In fact, Crash is packed so tight full of asinine stereotypes that, if it exploded into a million pieces, its fragments would have enough false piety in them to supply their own feature-length pictures. The film's self-importance swallows all of its positive qualities (which admittedly are not in short supply and include winning efforts by Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Terrence Howard, and Michael Pena) and amasses to an indigestible cinematic experience without the uplift of conciliatory sensitivity or social spotlighting, which it almost embarrassingly thinks it embodies (and forever will, thanks to its three Oscars and national acclaim).
½ September 12, 2016
"Crash" has good intentions, but it tries to make a statement about race with an emotionally-manipulative, clumsily-written story occupied by thinly-written, stereotypical characters.
September 8, 2016
Diversity is a bit difficult to be defined, but Crash overcomes that subject with an excellent direction and powerful performances from a crowded, but a very well-chosen cast.
September 8, 2016
Um roteiro muito bonito e um elenco em ˇtima forma resultam num filme que surpreende do inÝcio ao fim.
½ September 5, 2016
very cliche. did not even deserve to be nominated for best picture let alone win it. no likeable chatacters at all. i know it was trying to give insight into race descrimination but the characters were just so dumb that it backfired and none of the characters learned a thing.
August 23, 2016
Don Cheadle stands out in this excellent film about human nature's weaknesses.
½ August 23, 2016
Paul Haggis's 2004 "Crash", is perhaps one of the, if not the most controversial film to have ever received the Academy Award for Best Picture, not because of how it beat other, more important films in 2005, but because of the films structure. In this review, I will not be talking about the Oscar, but the film itself. In my opinion, I don't think crash is a terrible movie, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, and I am going to explain why. "Crash, a film about racial equality told thru multiple different people with their own racial problems in Los Angeles, is a incredibly descent movie, despite its Oscar baiting topic. The movie is filled with fantastic, beautiful, and incredible performances from the star studded class. Despite the actors not having a whole lot to work with, they still turn out great performances. I especially mind those of Sandra Bullock, who plays a white rich woman, and Matt Dillion, who plays a racist cop. Despite the actors not having a whole lot to work with, they still deliver fantastic performances, doing their best to make the characters feel real. I also mind "Crash" beautiful and intense scenes. There are a handful that stand out. Those scenes are composed of perfect editing, beautiful chorography, and fantastic writing from Paul Haggis's Screenplay in order to make a dramatic scene twice as dramatic and intense. But the thing that stands out to me, is the films message at the end. Despite all of the challenges the characters have went thru, the film delivers a ending message that is memorable, mature and realistic. And a good film must always have a great message towards it, and "Crash" message, is great. However, every film is not without its critism, and Crash is a film worthy of critism. For starters, the films characters mostly rely on their racial equality to the Carrie the film out, and their racial equality is an incredibly cartoonish and steypytical Hollywood look at race, rather it being immigration, African American steyotrypes, or even the characters economical class. The film could of done something different with the characters race, but instead comes off in a typical Hollywood offensive delevry. Another thing about the film that really piss me off, is how those perfect scenes I mention that perfect because of its editing, chorography, timing, patients, acting, music and most importantly writing, are then butchered up at the end of the scene to give us a satisfying ending, the audiences wont have to worry about, and instead feel better about our self's. This is incredibly stupid, because your wasting your time on perfect team work, and end it with a pointless meaning. Instead of making it memorable, the filmmakers instead make it pointless and meaningless, even if it well make the film incredibly sad. If you want to do something memorable, look at the ending of Do the Right Thing. So at the end of the day, Crash is a Okay movie that I recommended you go see. The film has great acting, descent writing, and memorable scenes. However, I still give it a mix review and a 2.5/5 stars.
½ August 18, 2016
Crash is the Oscar winning movie that deals with several stories dealing with racism in Los Angeles.
the acting in this movie is brilliant. Michael Pe├┬▒a is such an underrated actor. he brings such raw emotion to every scene. Don Cheadle was also fantastic and heartbreaking in this movie.
Movie is a little preachy bit that's forgivable with such provocative stories. I also believe that this movie has one of the most emotionally wrecking endings of any film ever especially with Don Cheadle and Michael Pe├┬▒a.
Should it have won best picture maybe not, but it is a damn good movie.
½ August 15, 2016
This has to be one of the best films I have ever seen. Beautifully metaphorical, riveting & thought-provoking in the controversial themes it tackles with regards to facets of the human condition. A must see - at least once.
August 11, 2016
Not my type of genre of film, but it is my all-time Best Picture. Brilliant. Poignant. The only time I've ever exclaimed out loud "No!" during a scene. There's a reason so many A-Listers did this movie for Scale. Worthiest of Academy Best Pictures - especially in this era of police misconduct & SWAT mentality. No one escapes unscathed in this masterpiece - and yet there's redemption.
½ August 8, 2016
"Look at me. You embarrass me. You embarrass yourself."

And I thought Nightcrawler put me off L.A....Jesus...

So Crash opened up very rocky I must say. As an introduction for characters, Crash literally crashes. Don't expect anyone with a clear good side apart from perhaps Michael Pena. It's difficult to open your film like this, and still pull it back to make a solidly dramatic movie.

Dramatic moments in Crash happen at well paced times. Just as one finishes it allows you a breather to move onto the next one, a twist ant turn that will contradict your emotions and contradict your mindset towards a community standard. It's quite clear that there is a blatant underlying message of how racism isn't black and white but is infectiously universal. And how even though how prejudiced and how much pain you think you are in. Guess what? You can cause some pretty lengthy pain as well. And this is where Crash shines like gold. Some truly gulping scenes that I have no intention of talking about, go check them out for yourself.

Acting and cinematography was structured well. Nothing overly special, but the actors did their jobs well. Particularly from Michael Pena (Once again). He did quite bizarrely have no prejudices, and that may come under influence from his daughter. But if the film perhaps wanted to make an excuse, I would've liked to have seen a little more detail rather than following Sandra Bullocks story in the film. Yes, the same message was set for her but it seemed rushed and choppy. An almost laughable resolution which is disappointing.

Crash leaves some things unsolved, perhaps some things are missing which needed to be added. But it delivers a harsh yet truthful message on racism and other hints of issues in the U.S.A such as healthcare and firearms policies. A relatively heart-pounding feat which gets better as it progresses.

B

70/100
July 13, 2016
The deserving winner of the Oscar for Best Picture in 2006 is this spectacular morality study on racism, intolerance and xenophobia, and it probes into those loathsome sores of society in such a powerful and unsettling way, to show us that there are no easy solutions for them.
½ July 6, 2016
I loathe this films with a passion! Of course it isn't clearly a terrible film, but it's so maddening that It won Best Picture over my most favourite film of 2004 Brokeback Mountain. This film does not deserve the Oscar, in fact, this was just the safe choice to avoid the tremendous homophobia still existing in our world today. Of course, this would be the same situation if 12 Years of Slave did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. Everyone would call the academy racists.
½ July 4, 2016
I heard about Crash by several friends who told me it was a scandal it won the Academy Award for best pictures. So I watched it, and I still don't know if it deserves the award. The movie is not bad. But the directing is not the thing I will remember first. Neither the actors role - even if I enjoyed the work of few of them, such as Sandra Bullock or Don Cheadle who did the job even if they have limited screen time. I think the main problem is the number of characters. I couldn't attach to any of them but for a scene in which they are hurt or where they change their minds.
Their are several great moments which made me help the film during the time of the scene : the moment whith the exploding car is great, as the final scene with Sandra Bullock or the touching moments with the character portrayed by Michael Pena and his little daughter.
These moments make me enjoy the movie. But there are too many details that made that I can do more than appreciate this film ; I can't say it is or will be a classic, but if I can't say it deserves the awards it received, I will not make a scandal for it. This is not a great movie, but at least it is a good one in many moments. It would just have been a bit better if they would have give a larger place some figures, instead of mixing all their destinies together - but it is the goal of the screenplay and of this film, so I can't really blame them for it.
June 20, 2016
Powerful, underrated and well-acted.
½ June 17, 2016
I would say this movie is about the human condition, because I don't live in America...that's why I don't get the American culture this movie has going for it. All in all, a decent movie.
½ June 11, 2016
Preachy and unbelievably inept.
June 2, 2016
This movie has been out for a whole but it makes me wish people could look into each other's eyes and understand where they came from. Why they act the way they do and have empathy.
May 30, 2016
This wreck is unwatchable. This is what you can do with a dull script, boring acting, and unimaginative writing, mixed with a cheap PC bouillon and sentimentality galore.