Capote - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Capote Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Hoffman's Oscar-winning performance is also his most boring.
July 15, 2016
Director Bennett Miller successfully produces a subdued, gripping account of Truman Capote's later life, and gets a masterful, possibly career best performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman.
June 21, 2016
Philip Seymour Hoffman se come la pantalla y la película, el resto es correcto pero nada destacable, algo plana en su forma.
June 16, 2016
A film that hangs in your memory year later. Possibly PSH's best performance.
May 12, 2016
Sensitive retelling of a difficult tale.
½ April 18, 2016
Hoffman's Capote is brilliant but when all is said and done, it's hardly his performance that drives this film. Truman Capote was just the observer of something far bigger than himself- the horrors of humanity. 'In Cold Blood' captures this perfectly and 'Capote' is the perfect companion piece.

Whilst the real events are fascinating, they are nothing here without a great screenplay and 'Capote' delivers on that front. Not only is the tone of the film perfect, with its quiet nature and haunting undertones, but every character is brought to life in a believable and engaging way. Whilst Hoffman's performance will likely be this film's biggest selling-point, it's only one part of what this fabulous work offers.
½ March 26, 2016
I liked the film but it wasn't any new ground for me as I have read In Cold Blood and seeng the film and know about Capote's personal life. Still, Hoffman was excellent in the film and it was well done.
February 21, 2016
Beautiful performances by everybody all around.
½ February 8, 2016
Apart from the brilliant performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman, what truly makes the film is its confrontation between good and evil: the writer's empathy towards Perry and, simultaneously, the condemnation of his actions. A different, layered biopic.
January 31, 2016
I *know* I must have seen it before, but I can't recall doing so :(. Great to see movie Hoffman did.
January 2, 2016
Great movie beginning to end!!!! The film had such a genuine feel and builds the tension perfectly throughout the movie. Truman Capote was a truly interesting character and I felt the screenplay and direction did a great job of not overselling him or his traits it was done very subtle. P.S.H's acting is without question brilliant
( :( sad that he is gone ) but a very honorable mention to the the actor who played the killer Perry Smith, he was absolutely perfect and like the rest of the film his character was not over sold or over sensationalized, the depth of character and raw emotion was palpable. Capote is a film that cannot be missed, I can't wait to give it a a second viewing. The film also made me want to revisit the film "Dead Man Walking"
December 20, 2015
An excellent performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman bolsters a forgettable biopic.
October 24, 2015
An actor lucky enough to find a role that works as a pure culmination of his versatile talents is a man cinema has been fortunate to find. A role of such caliber only comes but once in a lifetime, as evidenced by Anthony Hopkins in "The Silence of the Lambs," Robert De Niro in "Raging Bull," or Eddie Redmayne in "The Theory of Everything." Truman Capote is Philip Seymour Hoffman's Hannibal Lecter, Jake LaMotta, Stephen Hawking. It is one of the greatest performances in the history of cinema, not just a performance but also an embodiment, a resurrection. It reminds us why Hoffman's premature death is the most tragic loss of a major talent in the studio system as of late.
Truman Capote himself (1924-1984), by comparison, was also a victim of his own inner demons. A literary genius, he published his first acclaimed work, the short story "Miriam," at the age of 21; he went on to write classic novels such as "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "In Cold Blood," maintaining a close relationship with the glitz of Hollywood in the process. He was a great storyteller, a great party guest, and an even greater of a personality - I recall Lauren Bacall detailing just how fascinating of a figure he was in her memoir, how much Bogie adored spending time with him. His girlish voice, homosexual flamboyance, and immense self-interest was forgivable in a conservative time period because he was so much larger-than-life than everyone around him.
2005's "Capote" is a tremendously adept biopic that takes place during the tumultuous years in which the author was writing the seminal "In Cold Blood," a true crime novel that told the story of a pair of murderers who heinously massacred a family in rural Kansas. What began as a New York Times article interested in analyzing the effects the murders had on the small town turned into something greater as Capote found himself increasingly compelled to tell a larger tale, eventually becoming so close with the criminals themselves that he even began to fall in love with one of them (Clifton Collins Jr.).
At the heart of the film is Capote's captivating relationships with "To Kill a Mockingbird" author Harper Lee (Catherine Keener), his romantic partner, Jack Dunphy (Bruce Greenwood), his editor (Bob Balaban), and one of the murderers, Perry Smith, and the toll the writing of the novel took on his personal life.
While many biopics are so bent on their central portrayal that they forget to make an affecting film, "Capote," finely directed by Bennett Miller, is so uniformly excellent because it is surrounded by performances that widen the crevasse "In Cold Blood" dug up during its conception. Involved individuals such as Lee and Smith are crucial - Lee represents Capote's life before the book, grounded and intellectual, Smith acting as the detour to his more disturbed self, his writing talents coming second to an eclair of self-doubt and a piling of regret.
Capote's tug-of-war of emotions is best shown during and after scenes of him entertaining party guests. With his constant cravings for attention, he is the best partygoer you'll ever meet, telling one unbelievable story after the next. But soon after you meet a man who appears to consist only of confidence edged genetics, there is a crash, a moment when he has to confront the person he has become. His love for Smith is the peak of his psychological battle. He doesn't want to be in love with a murderer, but he can't help it. He hates himself for it. He knows the only way he'll stumble across some sort of closure will be the execution of "In Cold Blood"'s central figures. It was the last novel he ever published.
As Capote, Hoffman is endlessly brilliant. Watch any interview from the writer and you'll see an original, an eccentric no one in the world could possible emulate. To play him would risk caricaturization. But Hoffman, so detail oriented and nuanced, becomes the man. Never does his recognizable deep, fatherly voice slip out, his oft prominent mouth-breathing - he is Capote, through and through. Even if the film were the kind to pay too much attention to its leading actor, we still would be mesmerized. It's a wonder that it feels so full, so true.
September 28, 2015
Shit Philip Seymour Hoffman...why'd you have to leave us so soon?
September 27, 2015
Amazing acting. the character is dubious.
August 24, 2015
Eccentric, enigmatic performance about an eccentric, enigmatic man. Superbly done from many cinematic standpoints. My only qualm is it takes away any interest I had in seeing "In Cold Blood" as I feel like I already got the whole story, and then some. Admittedly though, this movie was not primarily intended for people who hadn't yet seen the nearly-50-year-old classic.
August 20, 2015
Well made and produced but it's Hoffman's Capote that take the cake.
August 10, 2015
Very strong movie. The hanging scene is brutal. It might turn you against capital punishment then and there. This is a long nuanced movie. I didn't know it was filmed in Winnipeg. I've never been there even though I lived on the prairies. Hoffman displays moments of true genius in this film. The scene near the end when he confronts the condemned men -- he wanted them to die because he needed a resolution for his book.
August 8, 2015
"More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones."
½ August 5, 2015
Capote is a very interesting character study. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great, perfectly capturing the mannerisms of the famous author. The story Is very interesting, telling the story of an author who got caught up in the research for his new book based on true events of a family murdered in Kansas. It's a well written and well acted movie, with some emotionally effective scenes, the central bond that grows between Capote and one of the murderers is great. The cinematography Is very good as well. The movie is a bit slow and oddly structured at times though. It won't change your perspective on anything or warrant a rewatch, but it's a very well made film. Capote gets 3.5/5 stars (B).