The Eclipse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eclipse Reviews

September 6, 2016
Here's my take.. Since the love-drama story and horror really don't mix perhaps Michael (Hinds) imagined the whole thing and what we saw in the movie, those jump scares, was his elaborate way to get his story-book to the ghost writer lady since she had connections.. Maybe the unassuming qualities of his role were actually to play the long game and like the drunken obnoxious American writer said before the silly fight scene take advantage to pitch their book ideas to successful writers.. Or it was simply about life being piece together for those left behind after death, romance at late age, drunken, crazy and rich authors with a short lived, unfolded or too obvious, ghost story?
December 30, 2015
The acting makes the movie better than it is and it also has some genuinely awesome creepy moments that were so well done. Other than these things, I just didn't care for the film as a whole.
½ April 2, 2015
Engaging character-driven romance/spooky horror fare
November 16, 2014
One of the best ghost-love story I've seen. Sensitive, moving, excellent score, amazing actors. I just don't get tired of watching it.
November 1, 2014
3 starts only for the intrigue of the drama story line. I may just be completely dense, but I fail to understand the point of the horror scenes. While the jump scares were amazingly well done, they didn't seem to have a point to this story. The movie ended with loose ends galore. I'm still not totally clear on what happened or why. I almost want a sequel just to know what the heck happened in the first movie, but I'm not sure I'm willing to sit through an hour and a half of this again.
½ June 18, 2014
in the same year that other 'eclipse' movie came out comes this quiet irish drama with the same name
½ February 16, 2014
This is a very very odd film, in part romance, in part something completely different. Very dream-like, ambling along aimlessly, then BANG, the path diverts. Interesting stuff.
October 30, 2013
The Eclipse (Conor McPherson, 2009)

After I hit paydirt with Outcast, the wonderful Scots urban fantasy picked up for US distribution by Bloody Disgusting not long ago, I figured I'd see what else the British Isles had in store for me. Ireland has been a solid, if not necessarily prolific, producer of good horror films over the past fifteen years (viz. Isolation or Dead Meat). The Eclipse, which boasts a cast headed up by Ciaran Hinds (There Will Be Blood), Aidan Quinn (Benny and Joon), and Iben Hjejle (Defiance) as the woman they're both in love with, seemed like just the thing with which to pass a gloomy, snowy Friday night. Unfortunately, it fell quite flat.

Hinds plays Michael Farr, a volunteer at a literary festival who is still reeling from the recent death of his beloved wife (Hannah Lynch in her only screen appearance to date). He is assigned as a driver for two visiting notables, paranormal researcher Lena Morrell (Hjelje) and horror novelist Nicholas Holden (Quinn). Holden, an American, is married, but the cat is away, and he's got his sights set on bedding Morrell. Michael, on the other hand, initially sees Morrell as a possible gateway to understanding why he sees-or believes he sees-the ghost of his wife, but he, too, begins to fall for her.

Ultimately, I believe The Eclipse is an attempt at the supernatural-drama subgenre that the Southeast Asian film market has honed to a fine edge, and that most of the rest of the world doesn't really know exists. It is unsuccessful, though I have no way of knowing whether to blame the original story (by Billy Roche) or its adaptation (by McPherson); either is possible. Another rewrite might have made it a bit more coherent and turned a collection of interesting scenes into a full story, but that rewrite never happened, and we got what we got. You can feel free to give this one a miss. **
July 30, 2013
A well-executed drama with a supernatural twist. The mood closer to Eastwood's Hereafter than to Shyamalan's Sixth Sense.
½ July 7, 2013
Its spine-tinglingly scare is not necessarily everywhere in the movie, but it is a good horror movie, and is fun watching mostly in the wee hours of the night.
½ July 5, 2013
Inaccurately billed as a thriller, this is actually quite a lovely little film about mourning and coming to terms with the ghosts - more figurative than literal - that haunt us.
March 17, 2013
a little too much art house, but not bad
½ January 28, 2013
Not what I expected but a very interesting mix of ghost story and romance. The cinematography is nice too and Ciaran Hinds is great.
½ December 23, 2012
Only because I have an unhealthy love for Ciaran Hinds, and for a few good pop out scares.
November 10, 2012
pretty downright dull...and all over the place.
October 3, 2012
Unusual ghost story beautifully set in Ireland with good performance by Ciaran
Hinds, one of my favorite Masterpiece Classic actors.
October 3, 2012
The cinematography in this film is really good. There are some TRUE genuine scares. But it's not a ghost story more than it's about people who are haunted.
October 2, 2012
A beautiful piece of art. Visually satisfying and emotionally engaging. Sensibly horrific, creating an atmosphere of dread without sacrificing the film's other aspects. From music to acting, this is a quality film, a movie effectively exploring the haunting extremities of our grief and regret.
September 27, 2012
Not bad but it never really got off the ground.
September 24, 2012