Twelve Monkeys (12 Monkeys) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twelve Monkeys (12 Monkeys) Reviews

April 21, 2018
Ugg, Brad Pitt "acting." A decent movie until Pitt comes on screen. Go back to acting school and save everyone a lot of pain.
April 16, 2018
Very good ; would have been even better without the 'comic' sequences featuring the future scientists etc, but I suppose Terry Gilliam just can't quite forget his roots ...
March 12, 2018
A terrific film with good performances by Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. I was very engaged and always wondering what would happen next. An odd ball movie about odd balls. The plot was a little confusing in the end, but overall a quality film.
½ March 3, 2018
What's nuttier - cashews, almonds, or acorns?
Always doubt your answer.
February 11, 2018
good quirky sci-fi psycho thriller
February 4, 2018
Brilliant Sci-fi story, great performances, great direction.
January 13, 2018
I thought the movie was hard to follow. I didn't like the Bruce Willis character. He was too scattered to be effective, and when he had a chance to explain himself and convince people of his mission, he did a poor job of it - didn't seem realistic and was frustrating. I was left wondering who the bad guys were and whether they were doctors from the future, or possibly people from a mental institution who went underground after the virus killed 5 billion people. I also didn't like romance mixed in with what is supposed to be a part post-apocalyptic science fiction flick. I thought Brad Pitt did a believable crazy person. I like other Terry Gilliam films, and this one was highly rated in Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, so I was disappointed.
January 5, 2018
Come for the time traveling and twisting plot...stay for one of Brad Pitts best performances ever. I never cared much for him until I saw this and Snatch, so while I may not care for all his movies I can definitely respect his acting skills.
½ December 29, 2017
I enjoy this movie because of Bruce Willis. Brad Pitt and Madeline Stowe are okay. They don't ruin the movie. Gilliam's only good movie after Holy Grail. One of my favorites.
December 13, 2017
Very interesting and unique plot. Exciting from start to end.
December 5, 2017
One of the best actings I have seen from Bruce Willies and Bad Pitt. The way the movie plays with time and its consequences is very well done.
November 12, 2017
An odd science fiction film that still doesn't completely make sense to me. It got better as it went on, but I wouldn't call it a classic by any means. It's mind-bending and interesting to see once. (First and only viewing - 9/3/2017)
½ November 7, 2017
Driven by very strong performances from the lead actors and the igneously warped mind of Terry Gilliam this is one of the best Sifi movies of all time. While it is more than possible to pick holes in the plot, the viewer is carried along by the shear force of the story telling, a film almost made better for its flaws.
November 2, 2017
Time travel is such an interesting topic, and will forever be an interesting topic. Time itself is such an elusive thing.

That being said, this movie is truly genius. Everything from the way the story unfolds, to the way the ideas are presented (in true Gilliam fashion), and even to the way Gilliam uses time travel to tell a very captivating and relevant story.

We all wish in some ways that we could go back in time to alter the future. What makes this movie so interesting is that it negates this theory. It shows us that we can't go back in time to alter the future. But we can go back to learn something to take into the future. This itself is such a brilliant way of looking at things and sort of a realistic approach to life. I'll find myself looking towards my past to learn about something to take with into the future and implement it into my life. Mistakes, experiences that have happened, it's all important in the future and even more so in the now.

You see, this is what movies should do. Movies should make us think. They should make us reach deep down inside of ourselves and make us question a lot of things about life and make us introspect on our lives and life itself. What if time travel really existed? What if people from the past living in the present right now? What if life itself is just one big game and we should be playing it as such, like Scrabble or Monopoly? I guess we'll never know until we pass on to another life.

Overall, a brilliant movie with striking visuals and an amazing storyline to boot. Will definitely watch it again.

*On a side note, I wish Brad Pitt did more nutty roles.*
October 31, 2017
Iconic time-travel cult flick from the mind of Monty Python stalwart Terry Gilliam. The acting is top notch and the concept is an intriguing one full of twists and missteps. Incisively sharp.
October 7, 2017
One of my favorites!
August 4, 2017
Really disappointed with this movie, given the high rating I found here. The acting is over the top, and the plot confusing - very art house. I found the relationship between Cole & Railly totally implausible which stopped me from really caring about the characters.
½ August 1, 2017
Interesting premise, fine acting and a very different take on the post apocalyptic genre, but it works very well.
½ July 10, 2017
Bruce Willis' finest, and surprisingly great, performance as a violent brute with a vulnerable, noble heart gives us Gilliam's most identifiable hero, add to this a great time travel plot that explores destiny and determinism, Brad Pitt's memorable debut and a sweet love story and you have all the ingredients for a great slice of sci-fi.