1922 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1922 Reviews

January 31, 2019
legitimately spooked me. doesn't rely on jump scares to keep things creepy
January 15, 2019
I think i had more problems with the source material than with the movie.
½ December 8, 2018
not FULFILLING. could have been much better.
November 25, 2018
Very creepy. Loved the story and acting.
Thomas Jane is great.
November 24, 2018
Poe´┐ 1/2(TM)s Tell-tale Heart (1843) re-imagined by Stephen King (2010), released in 2017, and set in 1922. Read Poe´┐ 1/2(TM)s version.
November 19, 2018
A slow moving burn of a horror film, but I enjoyed it. Based on the novella of the same name by Stephen King 1922 is about a farmer named Wilfred James (Thomas Jane) who is a hard worker, but becomes distraught when he finds out that his wife Arlette (Molly Parker) wants to sell land she recently inherited and move to the city. Wilfred's entire identity is with the land and he can't imagine life off the farm, so after much arguing Wilfred convinces his son Henry (Dylan Schmid) to help him murder his wife. Wilfred convinces Henry that if they move to the city Henry's girlfriend Shannon (Kaitlyn Bernard) won't be in the picture anymore. The murder happens and the two guys think they've gotten away with it all when suddenly very strange things start to happen on the farm. Yes a bit of a spoiler there, but it's in the trailers! Overall, this one moves pretty slow, but man i enjoyed the story. It's a take of jealously and also of regret. Thomas Jane does a fantastic job here completely transforming into a backwater farmer (that isn't too smart). The "horror" aspects of it aren't too frequent, but when it does happen it's some really creepy stuff. This is on Netflix and I would definitely recommend giving this one a look if your a Stephen King fan, or want to enjoy a solid horror film.
Malan
November 17, 2018
Very much a methodical slow-burn of a movie, it's not exactly for everyone, but for what it was 1922 worked well enough for me. It's really a miserable sort of movie, kind of an anti American dream. Basically a guy who tries to accomplish something and hold on to what he has and just loses everything in the process and the slow loss of watching that happen. It's tense, uncomfortable, chilling, and damned effective. For what it's doing, it does it damn well. It's not really the sort of movie I can see myself returning to as a fun movie to watch again, but it is an effective film, with great performances all around and a killer atmosphere.
November 17, 2018
Very much a methodical slow-burn of a movie, it's not exactly for everyone, but for what it was 1922 worked well enough for me. It's really a miserable sort of movie, kind of an anti American dream. Basically a guy who tries to accomplish something and hold on to what he has and just loses everything in the process and the slow loss of watching that happen. It´┐ 1/2(TM)s tense, uncomfortable, chilling, and damned effective. For what it´┐ 1/2(TM)s doing, it does it damn well. It´┐ 1/2(TM)s not really the sort of movie I can see myself returning to as a fun movie to watch again, but it is an effective film, with great performances all around and a killer atmosphere.
October 30, 2018
This Stephen King's horrifying tale is about a stubborn farmer in the year 1922 who conspires to murder his wife for financial gain and convinces their teenage son to assist him, but their actions have unintended and supernatural consequences... The drama and suspense handled in the film is well performed and Thomas Jane proves he loves strong male lead roles in King's stories and does a good job with them, as he effectively lures us into the farmer's deteriorating state of mind.
October 21, 2018
Dissapointing movie.
September 30, 2018
This movie was very suspensful. Netflix did a great job setting the scene of the 1920's. The movie has a good twist. I was expecting a better ending.
½ September 27, 2018
While I wouldn't say the movie is particularly horrifying, I would say that it does a great job of getting you to empathize with the characters. Not exactly agreeing with their actions (although that may be the point), but certainly understanding why they did it (Save for Henry and Shannon who I could only speculate on for their affair).
September 23, 2018
Mediocre, no big twists, a very blatant demise resulting from guilt. Acting was workman-like and in no way stretched the imagination. Expected more from a Stephen King based story, and can only assume that this is a full length film based on a very short story. The concept did not feel developed or really explored. Disappointing.
½ September 18, 2018
Terrible accents that sounded like they were forced. It's obvious that King and the filmmakers have no idea whatsoever what farmers and others who depend on their hands and bodies to make a living. A rat bite isn't going to keep a farmer from fixing a hole in his roof. I can buy that the farmer is dumb, but he was shown to be clever well prepared. Which shows intelligence and pragmatism. Characters were cliche throughout. The hole in his livingroom ceiling would've gone upstairs, not to the outside. Poor continuity. Just a jumbled mess thrown together by Stephen king to make money. Like the vast majority of his work.
September 8, 2018
I often wonder how many things that I've done that I've forgotten about. I'm certain there's a lot of things I've forgotten that if I were to play my memories back, as if a film, I'd go 'oh yea, I remember I did that now'. The reason I bring this up in reference to this, an adaptation of a Stephen King novella, is because I wonder if King, an incredibly prolific writer, has ever forgotten anything he's written. And I wonder if he's ever surprised when someone wants to adapt one of his books/novellas/stories into a film and he's like 'oh yea, I remember that I wrote that'. This question is both a serious and joke observation at the same time. I'm certain the man has written stuff, prior to getting his first book (Carrie) published, that may have never seen the light of day that he doesn't remember putting pen to paper to. Regardless, as I mentioned in my It: Chapter One review, this (I believe) was the third good King film (if you believe the reviews) in a six-week span. The other, released in between this one and It, was Gerald's Game (which I also hear is good, but it's a movie I haven't seen yet). And, again, as I mentioned in the It review, I don't think there's even been a year like last year, where there were three good movies based on Stephen King books and/or novellas. So that's good for the man who, really, introduced a lot of people to horror with his books. Anyone who disagrees with the fact that King is a horror icon is just delusional. Regardless, let's go on with this movie, shall we? Thomas Jane is an interesting actor. The reason I say that might not be the reason you might think. Daniel Day-Lewis is an interesting actor in that his commitment to whatever character he's playing is a testament to his dedication and his willingness to give all of himself to the material. Thomas Jane differs in that I've never been able to decided if I think he's a good actor, a bad actor or something in between. I guess I'd have to say he's somewhere in between. But, and this is the thing, in a lot of cases, he's either one extreme or the other, he RARELY falls into the in-between category. Not that he hasn't fallen in that in-between category (check Before I Wake), but he's either good or he's bad. That's why it's impossible to get a read on him, because you never know what you're gonna get out of him. Though, to be fair to Jane, I think he's the type of actor that excels when he's given a role that he can really do something with. That's not to excuse his inconsistency as an actor, because a good actor is good all the time and not when it suits him. Plus, there's certain people that are so great that they're still good when they're phoning it in. Thomas Jane isn't one of those actors. Having said that, I think Jane gives one of, if not, his best performances in this movie and he's a large part of why I thought the movie ended up working. Not to say that he's completely irreplaceable, but Thomas Jane definitely did do a great job here as this conniving man who manipulates his teenage son into helping murder his mother and the consequences that he suffers as a result of his actions. And, ultimately, I feel like the movie is about those consequences. The decision made by Wilfred to kill his wife, in order to keep her from selling her land, moving to the city and taking her son (and livelihood), was made in order to secure his lifestyle as a farmer and his wife's 100 acres of land (and his own 80 acres, which he would have to sell if his wife goes through with her own sale, since his land is no good for farming without hers). Wilfred might have thought that his decision would be simple. He'd be rid of his wife and that'd be it, but her death sets off a series of escalating events that end up with, at least, two families (Wilfred and Harlan's families) and who knows how many others as a result of Wilfred and Harlan's son and daughter, respectively, becoming bank robbers. I like movies like this. It's not that they go into that many details of the consequences to anyone outside of Wilf's own family and Harlan's, but I do like how the movie portrays the events that took place could all be traced back to when Wilf decided to murder his wife. So, if Henry and Shannon (Henry's pregnant girlfriend), murder someone, directly or indirectly, Wilfred himself is responsible for that, for having manipulated and pushed his son to do something that, at fourteen years old, he should not have been accomplice to. Also, and this is also a result of Wilf's own actions, but he ends up losing everything he thought he would have kept when he killed his wife. He is, eventually, forced to sell the land for a pittance of what he would have made before, not to mention constantly being haunted by visions of his wife and rats. Having said that, I do think that the movie, in spite of how good it is, will test the patience of some people. Not all of what I mentioned happens immediately. The film definitely takes its time building up to that, since explores how every aspect of Wilf's life starts falling apart and, again, how he loses everything. I think one of the things the movie doesn't do, which, according to the novella's Wikipedia entry, the novella does is leave it open-ended as to whether the events that Wilf described were real or if the guilt of what he had done and what his son became had rendered him delusional. I suppose you're meant to make up your own mind about what happened, but I felt the movie should have played more with the fact that what you're seeing may not, in fact, be happening at all. That's a minor complaint, but I felt that the script was strong and the movie has a strong sense of time. It feels like it's set in 1922, whether it's from the costume design, the way Jane talks or the gothic atmosphere, the film definitely captures the tone that it needed to have to tell its story. As far as horror is concerned, honestly, I feel that, while there's certainly some horror touches, I feel that this is more suspense than straight-up horror. The film is framed as a horror and the score, which is tremendous, lends to that, but I felt that the movie was more about the suspense of what is going on to Wilf and the guilt he suffers, whether it is his own mind playing tricks on him or his wife (and later his son and his girlfriend) haunting him down to make him suffer a little bit first before, eventually, taking his life as their last act of revenge. So, yea, if you're looking for something that's full-on horror, this is the wrong movie to watch. It requires far more patience than most people expecting a full-on horror movie have. That's not to say the film is perfect and, as good as it is, I feel that it just that, good. And that's not to criticize this film, since making a good movie is already hard enough, but it's not the second coming of anything. It falls short on some aspects and I feel that that held it back as it relates to my rating. Though, don't misunderstand me, this still has some strong and compelling storytelling and a really good performance from Thomas Jane. That's enough to warrant a recommendation on my book, but it's not the best movie you will ever see. Still, I enjoyed myself watching this movie and, ultimately, that's what matters. Here's to hoping Gerald's Game concludes the 2017 Stephen King movie trilogy strongly.
½ September 2, 2018
I thought this film was excellent. Really well made and directed brilliantly. I was also impressed with the sound and tension building throughout this movie.
August 26, 2018
This is good as hell
August 22, 2018
Having not read the King novella, I endured this tragically forced drivel with a non-bias and open mind to what the production had to offer. Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot to barter with.

A film veteran (particularly those with experience in psycho-thrillers) can spot very early on what exactly the producers have attempted to do with this story, or more importantly what they have failed miserably to do.

The film lacks any essence of tension or suspense, despite almost every seen being littered with forced, cheesy horror
music (sped up, off tune violins) and blatant imagery even a first grade English student could pick up on. No scene ever comes as a surprise and you are constantly left waiting for something substantial to the plot to happen. But I suppose that is the paradox within this film. The plot is so fickle and the characters are so weak that you are left with very little to care about, even if you endure enough to make it to the closing titles.

If you are going to make a film that is incredibly dark, you need to have some level of contrast - regardless of how subtle - in order to emphasise the relevance of the darkness. (When editing a photo, you don't just whack the exposure down to -100 as the entire image turns black and you can't see anything). This film begins as dark and miserable as it starts out, giving audiences nothing to look forward to nor miss.

A definite miss if you're a fan of well delivered psycho-thrillers, but could make for a good watch if you have no taste in good film.
August 16, 2018
One of the most horrifying movies I've seen in a long time. This one will haunt you for a while.
½ August 15, 2018
A film about rats. Rats get more screen time and close ups than humans in this film. Not I movie I would suggest. Based on a Stephen King novel is not a synonym for slow paced and predictable unfolding.