21 Grams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

21 Grams Reviews

February 17, 2017
Alejandro González Iñarritu's expertise is further attested with 21 Grams, a hauntingly crafted drama with full bodied characters.
January 5, 2017
not as good as Amorres Perros, yet it's plenty good
½ October 18, 2016
A very dark and heavy story and it is made beautifully by Inarritu. Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, and Benicio Del Toro all acted brilliantly. 21 Grams's theme to me was portraying that what is lost is always gained in another form. A must see film.
October 17, 2016
Melodramatic; disappointing considering how great Amores Perros was (Iñárritu directing also). Unrealistic story line with bipolar characters lashing out on each other.
Character depth is muted by constant over-dramatized explosions that steadily pervade this film for nearly 3 hours. In Amores Perros, there was more realism to the various circumstances and the way that the three stories merged together. In 21 Grams, the individual circumstances do not come together as seamlessly as Inarritu's past films. Ridiculous caricature of illness, religious conversion, and family loss. Embarrassingly over-the-top; expected more from Iñárritu. Unrealistic plot line with no variation - just over-blasted volume in the form of shaking, screaming, crying actors in every scene; and I like all three actors (Penn, Watts, and del Toro). But for a three hour tale, the immersion of the three and the extremity in which their characters must play out is just too much high-pitched soprano.
½ July 30, 2016
Very hard movie, it penetrates deep into your soul by the tremedous performances of the entire cast.
July 12, 2016
21 Grams
Movie Review

Some movies are like a novel. Some movies are like a poem. Some films have flashbacks and flash-forwards. Some, like "Memento," stretch the boundaries of convention and take wild risks such as moving the drama from the end to the beginning. "21Grams" is a cinematic poetic explosion, shaking all the pieces hard as hell, and then tossing them in the air to fall at random. Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, he gives the audience the puzzle unraveled, demanding that we piece together the story from interlaced past, present and future events. It is part flashy gimmick, part artistic mastery, but always compelling. The story revolves around people drawn together due to an accident, a death, and a donated heart.

This is not a film for either the faint of heart or lazy of mind. Nor is it for those who become frustrated by film that dares to step outside the linear plot and paint-by-numbers formula. The mishmash of past/present/future is allegorical in the sense that we all carry our past, all hinge our hearts on the future, and all struggle with a "present" as dotty and haunted as this film so wildly illustrates.

In "21 Grams" it is required that the viewer surrender. As in life, there is no control. I must admit that I became a bit antsy and pressed for answers when none were being provided. You are riveted by events and players that intermingle in a haphazard mishmash of time with a rebellious lack of structure. You can either go with the flow-or back out to your car. Since I saw only one person exit the theater, for any reason, in the 125 minutes running time, I conclude that the fully occupied theater was as riveted as I was, even to the point of extreme bladder control.

The performances are stunning. Sean Penn is always good, Benicio Del Toro solidifies his Oscar, and Naomi Watts is the big talent to watch. Her emotional honesty is beyond acting-I believed her to feel the pain she displayed.

The "plot" almost seems inconsequential. The film is about the depth of human feeling in our brief interplay between living and dying. It's about damnation and redemption, revenge and forgiveness, surrender and salvation. It offers no explanations. It merely illustrates the human experience in a trenchant manner that makes us aware that every minute of every day is a precarious drama that we look upon more lightly than we should.
The dramatic cortex is the human heart-lost, gained, tormented, anguished and confused. The metaphorical context is the fleeting nature of each heart's temporal beat and our desperately valiant struggle to flesh out our mortal hearts' desires.
½ June 15, 2016
21 Grams is saddening to see people struggle with their health and mental state. Benicio Del Toro, Naomi Watts, and Sean Penn give great performances
½ April 16, 2016
A bit of a mess, but Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro level it out.
½ March 8, 2016
3 Revenants. El más auténtico renacer, no a lo romántico, sino con miedo y sangre.
February 24, 2016
Uma histórta altamente emocional, uma gestão dos tempos fascinante saltando de cena em cena mais ou menos aleatoriamente como as emoções que a perda nos deixa, excelentes interpretações muito bem dirigido com os movimentos certos no tempo adequado.
February 22, 2016
83%
Saw this on 22/2/16
It doesn't have much of a story and its non-linear narrative does no help and mostly feels unnecessary, however, the performances are splendid, especially Naomi Watts', well may be because she has more crying scenes. Benecio Del Toro and Sean Penn are all great here, but this is not among Inarritu's best films.
February 21, 2016
This movie is an incredibly intricate puzzle, but strangely enough a very coherent puzzle without having the pieces yet put together.
This is the second movie in Inarritu's disjoint, yet connected lives, trilogy, and this is by far his very best. This might be Inarritu's best movie, the artistic force/vision, intricate screenwriting, hartfelt performances by Watson, Penn, and Del Toro, brilliant editing and ambition that went into this project is absolutely fantastic.

21 Grams is an incredibly, indescribably original modern-masterpiece created by up and coming master-director Alejandro G. Inarritu.
February 16, 2016
well acted and well crafted
½ January 17, 2016
the least favorite of the innaritu's films thus far - I just dont see the coupling of Watts and Rivers and by this point taking a retrospective look of all of his films, you can see his trademarks -- beautiful landscape/cinematography of nature, close-up shots on his main characters esp when they are writhing in pain and spreading those painful moments ever so slowly until you become so mentally exhausted just watching. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you really ought to be prepared to watch his films because its not easy and it deals with those universal human elements of love, loss, redemption in such delicate ways. Still, I question his choice of Penn & Watts for the roles. Melissa Leo, as usual, gets ignored and yet delivers such a fine performance, as does Bernicio Del Toro.
½ January 7, 2016
One of the best films of the 2000's with terrific direction, intricate editing, and brilliant performances. The film beautifully showcases how with everything that is lost so much more is gained.
January 4, 2016
A deep human drama, structured like a puzzle.
December 14, 2015
Inarritu has became something of a film making guru in recent years, with the Revenant and Birdman sweeping critics into a frenzy, however delving back into the extremely talented directors back catalogue, we find a plethora of work that is wonderfully art house and pretty essential viewing. 21 Grams is on paper and for most of its run time an astounding achievement in cinema, however its inability to round off a gripping story, with a second act bathing in self absorbtion, 21 Grams leaves you feeling, slightly let down with its final moments. The film follows 3 different strangers, who's lives all intermingle around a horrid accident. 21 Grams decides to take the non linear approach, dipping in and out of these time lines, at whatever moment it deems fit and surprisingly it works perfectly, each scene feels completely isolated yet essential for the telling of the story. It never feels confusing or intrusive, jumping about different time periods in character lives, with no sense of order or time scale and if anything its a testament to Innaritu for managing to pull this kind of trick off. A large part of this is completely down to his cast, Naomi Watts, Sean Penn and Benecio Del Toro are all brutally effective, each of them having such a wonderful spark of energy and emotional weight required to drive home such a complex character piece. However 21 Grams falters when it comes to wrapping up its story, what starts off as a wonderfully simple and heartfelt tale, soon derails itself completely into preposterous territory and it feels the need to wallow in this moment for as long as humanly possible. The story works best when it is keeping it raw, simple and full of emotion, it doesnt work so well, when it continually repeats itself over and over again, with moments that add nothing new to the piece, characters will repeat actions and motivations continually almost for the sake of making it abundantly clear of the movies messages, just in case you were too lost too follow, the problem is that, there isnt much on offer here apart from a really contained story, one that really could have done with 20 minutes shaved off. All in all 21 Grams is marvelously crafted, brilliantly acted and gripping when it centres solely on character, it wades into murky waters however with a weak final act and a sense of impending boredom.
½ November 30, 2015
spectacular performances, good proposals from the Director, moving stories. quite simply good
October 29, 2015
I see 21 Grams a slightly lighter version of Amores Perros. And I really love all the fantastic bits in 21 Grams, such as superb acting from all actors, the script, the editing, etc. 21 Grams has this theme that is depressing and heavy but it also tells you something about life, the agony of it. I really like it and before seeing this movie, I have never appreciated Sean Penn. 21 Grams is the one that changes my opinion about Penn.

Not to mention that Benecio del Toro is the most amazing.
October 10, 2015
Jesus. This is a depressing movie. Why does Sean Penn always have to be in depressing movies?