21 Grams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

21 Grams Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
If you can get past the fact that this movie jumps around the timeline of the story almost constantly, then you will probably find it somewhat enjoyable. It is a somber drama with amazing performances. It is certainly worth watching, but I doubt that it will be for everyone.
½ August 11, 2017
21 Grams is an incredible look at how humans cope with complete loss, and extreme guilt. The acting from the three leads is too notch and Benico Del Toro gives an all time great performance that should never be overlooked. I was completely riveted in every scene, not hardly anything feels out of place, the dialogue is fantastic and I found the ending to be really good as well. This is an emotional and very deep film that succeeds on pretty much every level. I loved this film
½ July 21, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 5 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 4 | Scenic Design 4 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects n/a

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 7
July 12, 2017
Devastating, powerful and top notch performances from the cast in a tragic haunting film.
July 4, 2017
In a film that plays with the idea of straightforward storytelling, a group of troubled people find that they are linked in unpredictable ways. Paul Rivers (Sean Penn) is an academic dealing with a terminal heart condition, but his life is changed by a car crash that seems unrelated to his ailment. The traffic accident, involving ex-con Jack Jordan (Benicio Del Toro) and the husband of Cristina Peck (Naomi Watts), is one that ruins lives but ultimately also resurrects them.
February 17, 2017
Alejandro González Iñarritu's expertise is further attested with 21 Grams, a hauntingly crafted drama with full bodied characters.
January 5, 2017
not as good as Amorres Perros, yet it's plenty good
½ October 18, 2016
A very dark and heavy story and it is made beautifully by Inarritu. Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, and Benicio Del Toro all acted brilliantly. 21 Grams's theme to me was portraying that what is lost is always gained in another form. A must see film.
October 17, 2016
Melodramatic; disappointing considering how great Amores Perros was (Iñárritu directing also). Unrealistic story line with bipolar characters lashing out on each other.
Character depth is muted by constant over-dramatized explosions that steadily pervade this film for nearly 3 hours. In Amores Perros, there was more realism to the various circumstances and the way that the three stories merged together. In 21 Grams, the individual circumstances do not come together as seamlessly as Inarritu's past films. Ridiculous caricature of illness, religious conversion, and family loss. Embarrassingly over-the-top; expected more from Iñárritu. Unrealistic plot line with no variation - just over-blasted volume in the form of shaking, screaming, crying actors in every scene; and I like all three actors (Penn, Watts, and del Toro). But for a three hour tale, the immersion of the three and the extremity in which their characters must play out is just too much high-pitched soprano.
½ July 30, 2016
Very hard movie, it penetrates deep into your soul by the tremedous performances of the entire cast.
July 12, 2016
21 Grams
Movie Review

Some movies are like a novel. Some movies are like a poem. Some films have flashbacks and flash-forwards. Some, like "Memento," stretch the boundaries of convention and take wild risks such as moving the drama from the end to the beginning. "21Grams" is a cinematic poetic explosion, shaking all the pieces hard as hell, and then tossing them in the air to fall at random. Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, he gives the audience the puzzle unraveled, demanding that we piece together the story from interlaced past, present and future events. It is part flashy gimmick, part artistic mastery, but always compelling. The story revolves around people drawn together due to an accident, a death, and a donated heart.

This is not a film for either the faint of heart or lazy of mind. Nor is it for those who become frustrated by film that dares to step outside the linear plot and paint-by-numbers formula. The mishmash of past/present/future is allegorical in the sense that we all carry our past, all hinge our hearts on the future, and all struggle with a "present" as dotty and haunted as this film so wildly illustrates.

In "21 Grams" it is required that the viewer surrender. As in life, there is no control. I must admit that I became a bit antsy and pressed for answers when none were being provided. You are riveted by events and players that intermingle in a haphazard mishmash of time with a rebellious lack of structure. You can either go with the flow-or back out to your car. Since I saw only one person exit the theater, for any reason, in the 125 minutes running time, I conclude that the fully occupied theater was as riveted as I was, even to the point of extreme bladder control.

The performances are stunning. Sean Penn is always good, Benicio Del Toro solidifies his Oscar, and Naomi Watts is the big talent to watch. Her emotional honesty is beyond acting-I believed her to feel the pain she displayed.

The "plot" almost seems inconsequential. The film is about the depth of human feeling in our brief interplay between living and dying. It's about damnation and redemption, revenge and forgiveness, surrender and salvation. It offers no explanations. It merely illustrates the human experience in a trenchant manner that makes us aware that every minute of every day is a precarious drama that we look upon more lightly than we should.
The dramatic cortex is the human heart-lost, gained, tormented, anguished and confused. The metaphorical context is the fleeting nature of each heart's temporal beat and our desperately valiant struggle to flesh out our mortal hearts' desires.
½ June 15, 2016
21 Grams is saddening to see people struggle with their health and mental state. Benicio Del Toro, Naomi Watts, and Sean Penn give great performances
½ April 16, 2016
A bit of a mess, but Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro level it out.
½ March 8, 2016
3 Revenants. El más auténtico renacer, no a lo romántico, sino con miedo y sangre.
February 24, 2016
Uma histórta altamente emocional, uma gestão dos tempos fascinante saltando de cena em cena mais ou menos aleatoriamente como as emoções que a perda nos deixa, excelentes interpretações muito bem dirigido com os movimentos certos no tempo adequado.
February 22, 2016
83%
Saw this on 22/2/16
It doesn't have much of a story and its non-linear narrative does no help and mostly feels unnecessary, however, the performances are splendid, especially Naomi Watts', well may be because she has more crying scenes. Benecio Del Toro and Sean Penn are all great here, but this is not among Inarritu's best films.
February 21, 2016
This movie is an incredibly intricate puzzle, but strangely enough a very coherent puzzle without having the pieces yet put together.
This is the second movie in Inarritu's disjoint, yet connected lives, trilogy, and this is by far his very best. This might be Inarritu's best movie, the artistic force/vision, intricate screenwriting, hartfelt performances by Watson, Penn, and Del Toro, brilliant editing and ambition that went into this project is absolutely fantastic.

21 Grams is an incredibly, indescribably original modern-masterpiece created by up and coming master-director Alejandro G. Inarritu.
February 16, 2016
well acted and well crafted
½ January 17, 2016
the least favorite of the innaritu's films thus far - I just dont see the coupling of Watts and Rivers and by this point taking a retrospective look of all of his films, you can see his trademarks -- beautiful landscape/cinematography of nature, close-up shots on his main characters esp when they are writhing in pain and spreading those painful moments ever so slowly until you become so mentally exhausted just watching. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but you really ought to be prepared to watch his films because its not easy and it deals with those universal human elements of love, loss, redemption in such delicate ways. Still, I question his choice of Penn & Watts for the roles. Melissa Leo, as usual, gets ignored and yet delivers such a fine performance, as does Bernicio Del Toro.
½ January 7, 2016
One of the best films of the 2000's with terrific direction, intricate editing, and brilliant performances. The film beautifully showcases how with everything that is lost so much more is gained.