22 Jump Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

22 Jump Street Reviews

January 8, 2017
22 jump street is funnier and more exciting and a fucking blast to watch! Craziest comedy of 2014!
January 6, 2017
Slightly worse than the 1st one
January 5, 2017
22 Jump Street is one of 2014 funniest comedies.
½ December 31, 2016
The first jump street owes it success to it being fully aware its silly to remake an old tv show into a movie, and plays on this. Now in the sequel it is fully self away its a sequel to a movie that shouldn't exist and once again uses that knowledge hilariously. Its a comedy that puts being funny first without being straight up parody. I'm not the first person to say it but Hill and Tatum really work together, especially Tatum who is less versatile then Hill but works perfectly here.
½ December 29, 2016
A worthy followup, if a little too familiar. That is, just a tad beyond the self-aware nature of the series. And me getting more and more aware I was watching a sequel trying to make me laugh here and there. Thankfully the cast goes strong still and there's variety and twists to run along the jokes. I have to say though, most impressive thing I recall is the credits sequence.
December 29, 2016
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ December 28, 2016
funny and silly. enough plot twists to make it seem like two totally different movies.
December 10, 2016
Grade: A+. While most sequels fail to excede the glory of their originals, 22 Jump Street does in multiple ways. Unfortunately just as the first, the movie isn't the best with an actual clear story, but the increase in actually funny comedy bits and abundance of laugh out loud moments completely override the movie's flawed aspects.
December 3, 2016
Often amusing postmodern film with a particularly good final chase sequence.
November 20, 2016
This movie was definitely not as good as the first one :(
October 30, 2016
Going all out to outdo the original (going as far as to spend half the film satirizing the very fact that a sequel wasn't needed); some audiences my find the film has crossed the line into something too ridiculous. However, though not as tightly assembled as the first film, it still delivers the same level of laughs and clever writing.
October 26, 2016
Maybe funnier than the first. Probably the Gayest straight movie ever.
½ October 15, 2016
With the success of 21 Jump Street, you knew a sequel was inevitable. Thankfully, so did the creative team, and they made sure to change up enough of the formula to keep the movie reasonably fresh.

The boys are back, but they're at college this time. There's another drug to investigate, and the same pair have to go undercover to find it. The usual hilarity ensues, with a few red herrings to keep the mystery alive. There is also a great deal of fourth-wall leaning, and the metaphors are even funnier than before.

A few new characters get to join in the fun. Amber Stevens is great to have around, elevating everyone she has a scene with. Wyatt Russell is also funny; he plays off of Tatum very well. We also get a come-out-of-nowhere performance from Jillian Bell, who killed every scene she was in through sheer commitment and great writing.

While I do not think that this film improves upon its predecessor, I do have to acknowledge that it's another fun, if incredibly curse-happy, action/comedy.
October 6, 2016
22 Jump Street is very goofy and isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. And that's a good thing. Most of this film's draw is its easy humor. Schmidt and Jenko balance each other well and provide a suitably awkward bromance. Jenko kills the college scene playing football and joining a frat, while Schmidt is a total dweeb, left to watching Netflix and going to poetry open mic's. What's interesting is that most of the conflict isn't between the cops and the villain, but between the leading men. Schmidt and Jenko struggle to accomplish any part of their mission as their friendship falters and they grow apart. There is little evidence of a plot or any structure in this movie. It is largely a bunch of one outrageous gags, one random event after another that somehow concludes in a ridiculous finale on Spring Break. Some of my favorite moments were when the Captain finds out about Schmidt and his daughter and when the drug dealer and Schmidt have a fist fight filled with weird sexual tension. I think the strength of this movie lies in its self-deprecating humor and its dynamite leads.
September 20, 2016
A step down from the first flick.
September 18, 2016
Hilarious and a sequel that I would say is better than the first.
September 15, 2016
Funnier and and more action packed
½ September 10, 2016
Fine. Knows it's a repeat. Funny bits.
½ September 9, 2016
Nunca imaginei que um filme com Jonah Hill e Channing Tatum pudesse me fazer rir tanto - também gosto do primeiro filme. 3,5 de 5 estrelas.
September 5, 2016
Honestly just as smart, if not even funnier than the original.

Tatum and Hill are at it again, as their characters are sent off to college where they have to yet again uncover a viral drug operation. They still have a lot of searching to do in order to not only grow as a team, but as individuals.

If anything, these movies ride on the chemistry that is Tatum and Hill. These two are a power comedic duo, as they work so well together and their improvisation, comedic timing, and lovable natures make for a fun ride. These two are so self aware and they make you laugh in numerous ways. They killed me in the first film, and their chemistry only got better with this second film.

One thing the Jump Street franchise is, if anything, is completely self aware. In both movies, they have perfectly addressed the situation at hand and they've managed to make fun of themselves. But it's also one of those situations where even though they make fun at how cheesy and convenient some things are, the script is still genuinely smart, funny, and clearly has effort put into it. They make plenty of references, they follow a nice format, and they put enough twists on the film to distinguish it enough from its predecessor. A movie that knows what it is is the best kind of movie.

No set of movies have made me laugh harder in my life. I'm normally not a big fan of comedies, because I personally think it's one of the most overused and abused genres out there. Each genre has their cheap cash grab ideas, but for me, I see it most present in comedies. Both Jump Street movies have made me laugh so hard. And when I'm laughing just as hard in the sequel as I am in the original, that deserves a lot of praise. As a sequel, they could've easily bowed out and created a cash grab, but they didn't and I'm so grateful for that.

In the end, this is a sequel that many could argue improves upon the original. Although I honestly liked it more, it does have a few more drags than the original had, which is why I'm giving it half a star less. But in my personal preference, this is a sequel that's better than the original.