22 Jump Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

22 Jump Street Reviews

October 16, 2017
Laugh riot. They thought their job was tough back when they had to impersonate high school students undercover, but much like real life, things only get harder when they go to college. This is about Schmidt and Jenko (Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum) once again trying to infiltrate the dealers and find the suppliers. This right here is my jam. This is my go-to when I want to make myself uncontrollably laugh to the point of tears. I keep very thorough records, and pound for pound, this is the funniest movie of the last eight years if we are talking laughs per minute. For this to be as good as it is, it is not only a rarity, it is an anomaly. To get a sequel that is better than its predecessor is uncommon, but for that to happen in the comedy genre is practically unheard of. Much like the first one, the tone is set perfectly with Nick Offerman looking at the camera and saying, "we are back again to do the same exact thing with a bigger budget", and then you are off to the races. If this was just a cash grab, that would be offensive, but it most certainly is not that. This entire franchise is hyper self-aware and is in on every gag, even some within the production of itself, and the jokes in this are written and staged to perfection. This is from comedy geniuses Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and while Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is my own personal comedy classic for the ages, 22 Jump Street is the funniest movie of this decade so far, which isn't exactly faint praise. This is my fifth or sixth time watching this movie, and when I first saw this, I had to almost immediately rewatch this in a theater because I missed a large number of the jokes due to laughing so hard. Lord and Miller know how to jam pack their material so there isn't an ounce of fat, and they put everything that had on the table with 22 Jump Street. The jokes are well written to the point of being remarkable, and what is even more incredible is that it is high caliber creativity mixed with crassness. There has never been a more successful bromantic comedy ever made, and I love love LOVE this movie.
½ October 4, 2017
Not quite as funny as the original, but lots of good laughs all the same. Tatum is much more enjoyable than the over-the-top Hill, as was the case in the original. If you liked the first, you'll enjoy this one.
½ September 19, 2017
A serviceable buddy cop movie. Good for a few laughs.
September 13, 2017
Sorry, was I supposed to laugh, again? Because this is even less funny, and amazingly, some how worse overall than its predecessor. This is unadulterated and unmitigated drek. The story is choppy, poorly paced, and just plain rubbish, as is the acting, and the lack of chemistry between the leads. But worst of all is the diabolically atrocious dialogue. Who writes this nonsense and thinks it is even remotely funny? But what really amazes and saddens me is that both 21 and 22 Jump Street is so well received by critics and audiences. Is there something in the water? 1/5*
August 26, 2017
An Improvement In That There Is More Solid Laughs This Time Round With A Bit Of Clever Parody. A Sprightly Better Story Also Keeps It Shuffling Along. It's Still Full Of Random Swearing Put-Downs, The Jackass Slapstick Humor & Loud Pumping Dance Tracks,..If That's Your Thing, In The Mood, It'll Work For Ya..Otherwise Forget It. You Won't Last.
August 22, 2017
An excellent installment that simply makes fun of itself. This aspect of the film makes it enjoyable for the viewer. Its a witty, fun and dare I say a cult classic sequel that pleasantly surprised me.
½ August 20, 2017
Funny - hilarious in places but not as good as the first.
½ August 20, 2017
so awful.. forced jokes, cringe worthy at best
½ August 16, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, it s looking like Jump Street is a much longer road than we thought.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) And I enjoyed the ride a lot more than I imagined I would. Let s recap:

SCOTT: Our two heroes from 21 Jump Street, Morton Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Greg Jenko (Channing Tatum) are assigned the task of going undercover at a local university. Apparently, the use of a new illegal drug called WHY-PHY (work hard yes, play hard yes) has reached epidemic proportions and recently killed a young coed. Captain Dickson (Ice Cube) wants Schmidt and Jenko to locate and arrest the suppliers of this drug.

GREG: Schmidt and Jenko arrive on campus and immediately try to merge into the local scene. They are doing well despite looking older than their peers. Schmidt befriends a young woman (named Maya, played by Amber Stevens) who happens to have been the across-the-hall neighbor of the deceased coed. Meanwhile, hunky Jenko is embraced by a local fraternity where he is becoming best buds with the captain of the football team (Zook, played by Wyatt Russell). This new pairing is splitting up our buddy cops and is the bromance portion of our story.

SCOTT: Greg, although there are some occasionally amusing moments in 22 Jump Street, I just couldn t muster up much enthusiasm for this movie. The story and premise are pretty much pointless. Now I will admit that I ve enjoyed some pointless comedies in the past, but for a pointless movie to be enjoyable, some elements must truly stand out as excellent. The jokes have to be stellar and consistently good throughout the movie, or the characters must be particularly memorable. I didn t see that here. 22 Jump Street features some clever humor at times, as when our two heroes remark that Ice Cube s office looks like a cube of ice. But these moments of cleverness are in short supply. One long-running joke is that the two main male friendships in the movie (between Schmidt & Jenko, and between Jenko & Zook) have some of the characteristics of a gay relationship. This joke isn t very funny and actually becomes painful to watch as it s milked repeatedly over 90 minutes. Another tired joke is that Schmidt and Jenko look too old for their roles. Yes, we get that -- over and over again.

GREG: I liked this film a lot more than you did, Scott. This was a very clever look at the typical buddy-cop sequel. There are constant references made to how this case is exactly like the last one. And how Schmidt and Jenko must stop trying to do something different and solve this case just like they did last time. In other words, we all know this is a sequel. We all know that the audience expects a retread of what they ve seen before. Now just go out there and give it to them. Within that context, the movie delivers a very sardonic look at the state of movies and their sequels. There are so few new concepts in Hollywood. Last year of the 75 movies we reviewed, 15 were sequels. That s a whopping 20%. 22 Jump Street s writers knew what was expected of them - to do the same as last time only bigger. But they didn t - they delivered a perfect send up of the Hollywood sequel. I think it was a very smart movie.

SCOTT: As much as I like Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, they aren t funny. At least not to me. They are likeable and amusing, but that s it. So the running jokes fell flat for me, and not much was going on that held my interest. 22 Jump Street is not only a movie that is constantly winking at itself, it is a movie that is winking at it s own winking. This isn t the first film that pokes fun at itself and its genre, and it isn t close to being the funniest, either. As you might expect, the buddy hero story here is inconsequential. Goofball comedies aren t designed to deliver any kind of meaningful message about life or about how people grow or change. So we re presented with a parody of how buddy cops grow apart and then in the course of events are brought closer together at the end. The characters aren t meant to be taken seriously, so there isn t much meaningful analysis we can do here.

GREG: Which is exactly the point of this spoof. It takes a look at the buddy-cop hero archetype and plays it to the extreme. For every earnest attempt at creating a buddy-cop movie, there is a joke in 22 Jump Street that pokes fun. And there are other side jokes that are great. The duo are seeking out a man with a tattoo on his bicep who is the drug supplier. Jenko is on the tail of a college football player (by going undercover as one of the players) only to learn that the tattoo his suspect has is of a wait for it red herring. Not the tattoo they were looking for. The villains are like typical villains we ve seen in other buddy-cop stories - virtually invisible until we need a chase scene to wrap up the story. And 22 Jump Street delivers on that as well. The villains are painfully ordinary and typical and just what you d expect. But there s a twist on who the kingpin is - just as most buddy-cop movies might deliver. Even in creating their villains, 22 Jump Street is keenly aware of the fact that they re in a sequel making fun of sequels.

SCOTT: 22 Jump Street is a movie that I wanted to like but just couldn t. I have to give them credit -- the filmmakers put a lot of effort into this movie, almost as if they realized they had almost nothing to work with and therefore had to pull out all the stops. I give them an A for effort here. But the movie deserves only one and a half Reels. I ll generously round up and make it 2 out of 5. The buddy heroes were not terribly memorable people, nor was their journey a notable one at all. The less said the better here. Again, I ll give them 2 out of 5 Heroes. As you note, Greg, the villains play a peripheral role in the movie. But I do need to give a shout-out to the stand-out performance delivered by Jillian Bell who plays the student roommate villain. She is by far the most interesting character in the movie, as well as the funniest. I wish we could have seen more of her in the film. Overall, I ll give the villains a rating of 2 out of 5. Movie: Villains: Heroes:

GREG: I had the opposite opinion - I expected to hate this film but was dragged into its farce kicking and screaming - with laughter. You re right, this is a film that knew a sequel would be ridiculous - so the filmmakers made it ludicrous. And good for them. Still, the joke can only go so far. While I enjoyed myself, grudgingly, I can only award 3 out of 5 Reels for a comedy that satisfied both those who wanted a sequel and those who dreaded one. The heroes are not really superb - they are the typical buddy-cops we ve come to expect from such films. They don t inspire us to great heights or warn us of great depths. I can only award these caricatures 2 out of 5 Heroes. I have to agree with you on the villains. The typical bad guys are boring and perform their role. It s only the introduction of the roommate from hell that makes the villains rise above complete worthlessness. I can only give her 1 Villain out of 5, however. Finally, if you have any doubt about whether 22 Jump Street in any way takes itself seriously, just sit around for the ending credits. It will definitely fill you in on what is yet to come. Movie: Villains: Heroes:
August 14, 2017
It is rare for a sequel (especially when it is a comedy) to be just as good as the original, but this movie managed to pull it off nicely! It makes fun of itself quite often and still manages to change things up enough so that it feels fresh and new. If you liked the first one, you will most likely enjoy this one as well.
August 10, 2017
22 Jump Street is hilarious! It is one of the only comedies that is equal or better than the original. It is so self-aware and makes fun of it's self, other comedies, and action films. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is even better than in the first. Ice Cube is back and just as hilarious. 22 Jump Street is another must see comedy and in my opinion better than the original.
August 6, 2017
Funny, and action-packed, 22 Jump Street is a really good sequel that is somewhat equal to its predecessor.
July 31, 2017
What a funny ass film. 22 jump street is still a awesome comedy film and still better then the first jump street even though the first is funny and I love the first but this is soooo fucking funny and I LOVE IT. Well done Phil lord and Chris Miller you made an awesome squeal and I love it.
July 30, 2017
So what happened to the Octopus?
July 25, 2017
One of my favorite comedies
½ July 13, 2017
Entertaining, funny, goofy and a good comedy.
July 10, 2017
While by no means terrible, 22 Jump Street is less enjoyable than it's predecessor. Hill and Tatum still have strong chemistry and the film is still funny, just less funny.
½ July 5, 2017
Where the first film succeeded, this one fell short. The gags just aren't as funny. I found myself laughing out loud just once, and that was within the first few minutes. It's not a bad film, just largely forgettable.
½ June 25, 2017
Yeah its the same premise but in a different setting, but the movie kind of mocks that sequels usually do that. While I don't think this movie feels quite as smartly satirical as the first one, it does a much better job as a character piece. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is great and feels genuine. There is still that fun, likable humor that the first one has though, and it still a very entertaining action-comedy film (and has a hilarious end credits sequence)
½ June 15, 2017
22 Jump Street adds even more laughs poking fun at even more cliches, all while adding more to the characters making for a hilarious ride.