3-Iron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3-Iron Reviews

September 8, 2016
Brilliant!! Pure cinema. Very beautiful love story, very sensitive and amazingly interpreted. Simply brilliant!
½ July 16, 2016
Confusingly, weirdly good. This is one of the movie where you actually are bored, but still you can't leave your sit till the end. Beautiful cinematography as well.
June 19, 2016
amazing display of how tiny, passionate love soaked actions are worth more than thousands words
March 12, 2016
I don't even know how to review this movie. It is so amazing. Everything about it is good.
February 24, 2016
...and so Korean cinema continues to blow me away.
January 4, 2016
This movie tells a largely wordless love story between a strange man who lives by breaking into houses and staying there while people are away and an abused housewife who instinctively falls into his lifestyle with him. It's a really sweet film and well worth a look.

Recommended.
December 19, 2015
3-iron is a very interest story, moving, symbolic, unpredictable and fascinating otherworldly. An imaginative depiction of loneliness and love, with very few dialogues, excellent editing, simple direction and masterful script that switches smoothly the narrative style and from the magical realism turn's to the metaphysical allegory of love, recalling to the alienated from the materialism human existence love's magical properties.
½ November 8, 2015
Partially interesting.
½ July 26, 2015
Shocking in the simplicity of the plot and the sterility of the cinematography, 3-Iron is a surprising delight that I only happened upon. Bursts of emotion in between and undercurrents of neuroticism within moments of silence and mundanity add a quiet, simmering power to the realistic core of the film.
½ July 26, 2015
Here's another movie that focuses on style and is largely void of substance. It is more like a dance, a ballet - something you watch for its graceful movements, the lightness of the tiptoed steps and the firmness of the stomps. Thought of as a dance, this film is a light, whimsy and spontaneous kind.

But normally we appreciate the grace of the movements in a dance in large part because we appreciate the ability of the performer to produce those movements in such a precise, delightful manner. In the case of this movie, however, it's not clear who the performer is supposed to be. Is it the main characters, or is it the film itself (i.e. the camera work)? (Perhaps both?) In any case, neither impresses me very much.

In summary, if you want to see a film that is like a ballet, there's a chance you might like this film. But if you, like me, are more interested in the content, the story, the ideas, than the presentation, you won't like it.
December 29, 2014
One of the more oddly romantic films I've seen in quite some time. And when I say "romantic" I'm talking Lord Byron/Bronte Sisters romantic NOT Katherine Heigl & Harry Connick Jr. fall in love while begrudgingly sharing a cab to a mutual friends New Year's Eve party romantic.
½ October 10, 2014
Director Kim Ki Duk would change your perception about cinema with this film. No dialogues,subtle emotions and great cinematography makes this a must watch. Story is nothing new, but the performance and the view of the director gives it a whole new dimension probably never experienced by you. Give it a watch. This emotional romantic drama would stick to you until you never think about it again.
September 26, 2014
It's hard to tell that the world we live in is either a reality or a dream.
September 15, 2014
I like how he never tried to defends his actions. People always see what they want to see.
September 10, 2014
I didn't understand any of it, but in the end I don't even know if understanding it's a point or not. I liked it anyway, because I think that this always present silcence give to the movie a great strenght.
August 10, 2014
The Beauty of Silence :)
July 22, 2014
3-Iron is an unusual and beautiful love story. Even by the standards of an unusual director, 3-Iron is still a particularly odd entry in his filmography. But, like his other films I've seen, 3-Iron is still an incredible achievement that has a profound effect, despite its quiet demeanor and seemingly simplistic premise.

The plot focuses on a man named Tae-suk, who breaks into people's home to stay for the night, rather than to steal stuff. Not only does he stay in these homes, but if he finds something broken, he will also fix it as a thank you to his unknowing innkeepers.

One day, he breaks into a mansion which he believes to be empty, but it turns out not to be empty. As he goes about his routine, he is watched by a woman named Sun-hwa, a battered wife trapped in a horrible marriage who is harassed by her husband over phone messages.

Once Tae-suk realizes he is not home alone, he pretends to leave the home, but in reality hides in the backyard, waiting for Sun-hwa's abusive husband to come home. When he does, and he immediately begins abusing his wife, Tae-suk attacks him by hitting golf balls at him with a golf club.

When he leaves, Sun-hwa decides to join him despite knowing nothing about him and participates and immerses herself in his bizarre routines of breaking into homes and fixing items. Despite some minor scrapes with the occupants of an apartment, things seem to go okay for a little while until they break into the apartment of a dead man.

Upon finding the dead man, the couple buries him, but since the dead man's relatives haven't heard from him for days, two relatives stop by the apartment and call the police on the couple, and they are arrested on suspicion of murder. Sun-hwa is sent back to her husband, but Tae-suk is held in custody for burglary and other charges (After it is determined the dead man wasn't murdered, but died of lung cancer), and with the money funded by Sun-hwa's husband, the authorities keep Tae-suk behind bars.

Despite imprisonment, Tae-suk attempts to find a way to get back to Sun-hwa, and proves that sometimes, not even in the walls of a prison can keep people apart.

The story is very interesting, and as this is a Kim Ki-Duk film, it is deceptively simple on the surface, but offers a great deal more to the viewer should they choose to explore it, including the mysterious elements that accompany his films. The characters, while they rarely speak to one another, feel richly developed and intriguing, despite the viewers knowing so little about them. The story was always fascinating, no matter where it went, and it's easily among the best romance films I've ever seen because of its compelling story and more.

The acting is also pretty damn good, especially as the actors are mostly forced to rely on expressions and actions, rather than dialogue. This is another usual trademark of the director, and once again, he gets the actors to pull off a feat that many directors would never be able to get the actors to do. Even in silence, the actors pull off amazing and compelling performances that made it difficult to look away from the screen.

3-Iron is a film well worth watching if you love a good romance film or a good unusual film. It's certainly unlike anything you'll ever see, and it pulls off its quirky premise with ease. It's a strange, compelling, and engaging romance film, and yet another triumph for Kim Ki-Duk.
½ March 7, 2014
3-Iron is a beautiful love story that proves emotions can be conveyed without any dialogue. Directed by Kim Ki-Duk, this Korean picture rises the question about what's real and what is not real. Are we crazy if we decide to create our own reality just so we can be happy? This premise is backed up with amazing sound design and superb camera movements which drags the audience into the characters' perception of reality. At the same time, Kim takes some screen time to criticize how the Far Eastern population have lost their ability to connect with people and where they come from. Strongly recommended.
½ February 28, 2014
A spiritual film with an artsy touch.
It has very few dialogues so it's driven by the pictures and the great story. I simply love the plot. A guy going into peoples homes for a place to stay, not for robbery reasons. Pretty simple and a calm watch with some big uppers here and there. A sobre film with a lot of warmth and some debth. It's also wonderfully shot, and very tender and pretty.

Surprizingly it was still quite disappointing for me since it got everything I would want in a film. Originality, lovely capturing and a warm story. If I let it sink in longer it will definetely grow, this is a "grower" for me. It felt rather long, probably caused by the nearly non excisting use of language. Anyhow, not the best sign for a film.

I'm glad I saw it, but I was not blown away from it while I sat there watching. "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring" has been in my collection for ages, but I never got to see it. I hope it's better, but it's really nothing wrong with this mesmerizing little treat.

7 out of 10 underwater magazines.