47 Meters Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

47 Meters Down Reviews

November 18, 2017
Definitely jumps out at you at some parts. Couple of awkward plot twists but overall enjoyed watching it
½ November 14, 2017
"It's taut and suspenseful and it knows what it wants to be. "47 Meters Down" is gloriously entertaining schlock."
DVD Movie Review: 47 Meters Down
Date Viewed: November 7 2017
Directed By Johannes Roberts (Roadkill, Storage 24 and The Other Side of the Door)
Written By Johannes Roberts and Ernest Riera
Starring: Mandy Moore, Claire Holt, Chris J. Johnson, Yani Gellman, Santiago A. Segura and Matthew Modine.

Adrenaline, pure escapism and thrills, those are kinds of things I want in a cheesy B-movie like this. "47 Meters Down" is first-class, low budget thriller entertainment. Originally, the studio had initially wanted to release the film on Blu-Ray and DVD last year but when original distributor Dimension Films sold the rights to newcomer distributor Entertainment Studios, the new studio scrapped the direct-to-DVD plans and planned a theatrical release for the film instead. Surprisingly, they made the right decision, "47 Meters Down" which cost just $5.5 million to make had a solid opening weekend and it went on to gross $44.3 million in North America. Since it became a sleeper hit last summer, a sequel "48 Meters Down" is being scheduled for a release in 2019. Oh yeah, it also sort of revitalized Mandy Moore's film career.

"47 Meters Down" had no intentions on being Grade-A entertainment, it just wanted to be suspenseful and fun. The film revolves around two sisters Lisa (Mandy Moore) and Kate (Claire Holt) who go on a holiday vacation to Mexico and they get invited by a pair of local men at a bar to go on a boat and cage dive where they'll come face-to-face with great white sharks. Lisa who just went through a tough break-up with her boyfriend becomes hesitant about traveling underwater because she isn't an experienced diver but Kate convinces her to take a chance because watching sharks from a diving cage will show Lisa's boyfriend that she isn't boring.

Their trip underwater soon turns into a living nightmare when the cable supporting the cage breaks plummeting Lisa and Kate 47 meters down into the ocean floor. With their communication out of range and with less than an hour of oxygen left in their tanks, Lisa and Kate are stuck with limited options. They can either get out of the cage and swim up to the surface or wait until help arrives. However, there are great white sharks stalking them in every direction so Lisa and Kate must figure out a way to get out of this mess and avoid becoming fish food.

From the cheesy dialogue to the low-grade shark effects, that's part of the fun to "47 Meters Down", it knows it's a B-movie and it's proud of that distinction. Okay, it's not as smart as "The Shallows" and no way it's not in the same league as "Jaws" but I delightfully had a blast with this movie. It's taut and suspenseful and it knows what it wants to be. "47 Meters Down" was directed and co-written by Cambridge born Johannes Roberts who has previously made several shitty, Z-grade productions such as "Roadkill", "Storage 24", "F", "Hellbreeder" and last year's "The Other Side of the Door". I believe that this director will get quality work in the near future because he does such an impeccable job at creating suspenseful underwater sequences and he also creates a very terrifying atmosphere.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. It may have a simple idea but "47 Meters Down" is gloriously entertaining schlock.
½ November 12, 2017
The movie is only bearable during the brief moments when Mandy Moore, and Claire Holt aren't speaking. It's a terrible script in the hands of ill-equipped actresses. Just dreadful.
November 11, 2017
This movie is no Jaws. The characters are forgettable and the shark attacks are predictable. This is one of the worst movies of 2017.
November 11, 2017
what's wrong with you folks ? This movie is best I've seen ever in my life . what you expected ? The movies like piranha , or Jaws ? come on man , This is one time watch . The movie will keep you in suspense till end . The worth part watching is how did they surive . Ughhh !!! hallucination .. How just one survived , In addition , The thrilling , the scuba diving , Discovering shark , going down deep level 47 meters , and the survival specially awesome . Instead of criticizing , just watch the movie and enjoy . Don't broaden your expectation . They'll try their best at next movie I hope .
½ November 10, 2017
Popcorn entertainment. Not much more.
November 9, 2017
Hey, there are worse shark movies. So this is about pair of sisters (Mandy Moore, Claire Holt), getting away from it all and vacationing in Mexico. Over drinks one night, they get talked into doing something very exotic: getting into a shark cage the next day and being just feet away from some Great Whites. Well, wouldn't you know it that something winds up going wrong, and it isn't long before they are at the ocean floor with a very limited supply of oxygen. I like shark movies as much as the next guy, but at this point, I do have the opinion that there is not much new you can do with it. Jaws perfected it, then Syfy took it to a ridiculously silly level, but there are still movies like The Shallows that gain cult followings. This would make for a pretty good double feature with the latter, as they are just about the same in quality. Now for having a modest budget ($5.5 million), this actually looks pretty good from an effects standpoint. I couldn't really tell what are were special effect sharks and what were real sharks, assuming that there were any in the first place. That said, it is still a pretty standard movie, and you know exactly where it is going to go. It would have been far more memorable if it had just a few surprises in it. You just KNOW as soon as the peer pressure comes from the attractive people over drinks one night, there is no way these girls aren't getting in the shark cage the next morning. You always know where this is going, and you can even tell who is most likely to survive simply by looking at the cast list. I do prefer this marginally over The Shallows, but they are right in the same wheelhouse. The one thing that I did like featured in this that you don't see in a ton of shark movies is they address the non-shark problems that can happen when you are underwater; if you come up too quickly, you can get the bends, or you can get nitrogen narcosis if you try to swap out air tanks fully submerged. Of course, I'm sure the science isn't at all tight on this, and I'm also sure if you do any sort of diving in your personal life, you will very likely scrutinize this for a laundry list of factual errors. As a diving layman, I say that 47 Meters Down is alright.
½ November 8, 2017
for being a shark film and being scary also it was pretty good film. the graphics were well made. two sisters go to Mexico to get away from it all and decides to go down to see sharks in a shark tank then all hell breaks loose.
November 4, 2017
not a bad popcorn thriller...
November 4, 2017
Many unbelievable scenes and scenarios but entertain still.
½ October 31, 2017
Having been shark cage diving in the recent past, I was quite intrigued to hear the premise of 47 Meters Down, where 2 gorgeous women (it is a horror film after all) find themselves stuck in a shark cage on the ocean floor, with the Great Whites on patrol, baying for blood. At least that's what is supposed to be happening, since for most of the runtime the Sharks are nowhere to be seen, despite the abundance of blood in the water. This is just one of many factual errors that force you to overthink the entire plot. Sharks do more to provide jump scares than actual menace, and act like demented killers, an idea Jaws is largely responsible for perpetuating. It's not as bad or schlocky as I was expecting, and there is a fair deal of tension at points, but the characters spend more time fighting off anoxia and nitrogen narcosis than any waterborne threats, so it didn't even need to have sharks in it at all. It all ends with such an inexcusably bad twist which ruins any goodwill that it may have generated up to that point. Fortunately, it's only 89 minutes long, and if you're just looking for mindless survival horror then you shouldn't be too put off by its factual errors and logical implausibilities.
½ October 31, 2017
Ehh, average movie at best.
October 28, 2017
I think a lot of the reviews are biased. The director did a really good job in his portrayal of nitrogen narcosis. Though I'm not sure when experiencing it, hallucinations would be a vivid as the ones depicted in the movie, the idea and events that occurred afterward came as a shock. The movie did exactly what it was suppose to do in terms of suspense. My sister and I really enjoyed it!
October 28, 2017
Loved it! Seemed so real, I will never dive again!
½ October 27, 2017
Much better than expected. The ending is a wank-off and the sharks are played far too often for easy jump scares but otherwise, it's a white knuckle ride of unending tension.
October 25, 2017
Good but not good enough and the ending is a disappointment
½ October 25, 2017
This movie was shit. With a low budget film that wasnt really that suspenseful or scary. All the characters sucked and I didnt care if they lived or died. And it has all the deep breathing shit just like Gravity all over again. It has a twist ending which i also hated. The only good thing I liked was them talking anout the dangers of deep sea scuba diving and how it affects the body. Something about the bands i think. But do not see this movie.
½ October 23, 2017
3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B-
October 22, 2017
Even with a few creepy atmospheric scenes, this truly terrifying idea isn't fully explored, Roberts instead chooses to resort to some cheap thrills, and a B-movie storyline that makes this one sink even lower than the title suggests.

2/5 stars