500 Days of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Days of Summer Reviews

August 18, 2017
The quirkiness can feel forced, and there's the tiniest bit of an identity crisis throughout, but overall "(500) Days of Summer" is an enjoyable film with a core relationship that feels authentic and engaging.
August 7, 2017
A romantic greeting-card writer is caught completely off-guard when his girlfriend, Summer suddenly dumps him. A nonlinear 500-day reflection in which he realizes what he did wrong in order to move on. The acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel is truly convincing and it is not a cliché movie to be a romantic comedy, which is rare, but rather the opposite, it is actually very relatable and similar to what life is really like.
August 6, 2017
A clever twist on the well played out romantic comedy genre. This film provides an interesting look into the inner workings of a relationship, centred on the lead 'couple' played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. I love both these actors and they do an excellent job in their respective roles. There is obvious chemistry and this helps to draw the audience into the story, making you actually care for the outcome. The film uses some interesting cinematic techniques throughout. The story has a non-linear structure and jumps back and forth in time to show you snippets of the 500 days that span Tom and Summer's time together. This is done with surprising precision and at no time do you feel lost in the narrative. There is also a lovely dual perspective scene done 'splitscreen' and a spontaneous song, neither of which feel out of place. Ideas about fate and destiny are neatly ingrained into the narrative without getting to heavy on the philosophy.
The soundtrack is fantastic and used perfectly throughout. Webb has good ear for music to compliment a keen eye for where it belongs.
What makes this film though is two excellent central performances. Deschanel is her usual geeky, quirky doe-eyed self and it fits perfectly in this film. She even manages to make you cast her as the 'bad guy' when most of her screen time she remains endlessly likable.
It is easy to see why Tom falls in love...
Levitt is also on fine form in this. He brings some neat comic touches to his character (we all know he can do comedy) but also manages a wide range of emotions as he moves through the rollercoaster that is being in love with Summer.
The film has an honest and realistic approach that sets it above your average love story. In a sense this is the anti-romcom, a film that deals with real love in all its brutal glory
½ July 26, 2017
This is one of my favorite romantic comedies to watch on any occasion, great film.
July 7, 2017
Yes, it's a subversive take on the romcom. But a sloppy execution, mediocre performances, and plenty of indulgent, cringe-worthy scenes leave me disappointed.
July 6, 2017
This has to be my all time favorite movie! The cinematography is spectavlcular and I am so in love with the plot. This movie hit a close topic for me and I will never not appreciate it! THIS is a must-see!
July 6, 2017
500 days of summer is a heartwarming movie with charm, fun and rom-com special tricks. I really liked it, it's a love story that is as subtle as most real-life love stories are, with an eye for detail and actors plus filmmakers who really put their time, effort and heart into it. However, I did find some things to object to, like the somewhat flat characters. The girl doesn't believe in romance, the guy is obsessed by it, a theme that hardly changes throughout the movie. Also, the supporting characters are, besides the little girl playing soccer, very weak actors or, at least, do not show their best performances. The plot, however, does justice to the movie and is both interesting and thought provoking. All and all I agree with this rating: it is indeed a solid must-watch.
June 29, 2017
Tom Hansen & Summer :)
June 17, 2017
Expectations...Reality

Theres always an Autumn after the Summer.

I absolutely loved this movie. Brilliant performance by Joseph Gordon !!!
June 7, 2017
A good movie, with a beautiful story for those who suffer from love
June 2, 2017
500 Days of Summer is one of my all-time favorite movies and I will tell you why. The male protagonist in the story is simply someone I can highly relate to. The idea of love, friendships, and relationships all get complicated and this movie portrays a story of all three so well. It makes us think of past experiences with relationships and how something can feel so wonderful and at the same time so confusing. Simply put, it is a love story that isn't a love story.
Sounds complicated? Yes, it does. It is what relationships and love can do to a person. Sometimes we see things that may be perfect for us that are actually imperfect. The story was good, but I feel like something else really made this film stronger. After watching it the second time or more, I noticed very subtle expressions from the male protagonist that really amazed me with his acting skills in this movie. You can almost feel how he felt during his moments whether it was during his attraction or anger. You could see it in his eyes and simple facial expressions how he truly reacted to every detailed moment or comment. The emotions felt so real and that is what made this movie even better. If you do not know what I mean, you must see it for yourself. Or if you have watched it already, watch it again and pay attention to the detail in the main character's expressions and how he reacts to every comment the lead female says.
May 14, 2017
Charming, funny, heartbreaking, beautifully acted even though you know at the beginning it's truly not a love story. Great to revisit at times.
½ April 14, 2017
Very slow rom-com, with charming narrative but not innovative story.
½ April 3, 2017
"Summer" tells the story of Tom's (Gordon-Levitt) struggle to figure out why his ex left him. Unfortunately, you can see why from the start: He's entitled, childish and hard to root for. Deschanel's title character is at least likable, but the movie is utterly unconcerned with what's going on in her head. She's just a backboard for Tom's self pity. The nonlinear narrative technique was cool, but it required energy I wasn't up to putting in for a protagonist who is an asshole.
March 21, 2017
All time favorite movie. Not only is the story line so real in today's day and age, but the cinematography is beautiful. The way they utilize colors and provide enticing visuals make the movie that much more in depth. Characters were well developed and portrayed in an unusual and artistic way.
½ March 13, 2017
Entertaining, but quite poorly acted and way too cute for its own good. The style was nice but kind of obvious. I understand it was Tom's movie and told through his alternating rose- and black-colored glasses, but we literally never got to know a single thing about Summer. That's kind of a problem. Best scene: Expectations vs. Reality. Good soundtrack. Though as the movie states, liking the same things -- like musicians -- isn't enough of a reason to love something.
½ March 10, 2017
A poignant, rare break up movie with an excellent soundtrack. Neither lead breaks the mold too much and the film could have benefited from using Moretz more.
½ March 9, 2017
If you have not seen this movie, you must, immediately. It's just a good all around movie. It also stars Zooey Deschanel, which is win, AND the tripping teenager from Super Troopers.
½ March 5, 2017
That was a very long Ikea ad....