500 Days of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Days of Summer Reviews

½ November 30, 2017
This romance is not a romantic comedy. This story is slim on characters other than Tom, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Summer (Zoey Deschanel). The first time we saw these two on screen, we fell in love with the chemistry but upon re-watch, it's hard to find Summer's character likeable.
November 27, 2017
The best Rom Com in my opinion.
½ November 4, 2017
Had its moments. Really cool to see how after a certain amount of time things just weren't the same anymore.
October 23, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Divertida, encantadora y reflexiva. 500 Days of Summer no es otra peícula de romance; sosteniéndose de un sólido guión y una innovadora técnica narrativa.
October 12, 2017
I loved how honest and realistic it was on how relationships work and how expectations and reality clash. It is a very original film that catches the viewers attention with symbolism and without being edgy.
October 10, 2017
One of most clever and witty romantic comedies in years. Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel have electric chemistry that only adds to a well written film. It turns the genre on its head. It's brutally honest and realistic. One of my favorite films of all time.
October 8, 2017
The anti-Manic Pixie Dream Girl movie cunningly disguised as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl movie. Owes a huge debt to another favourite of mine, "Gregory's Girl", but I wont hold that against it as it stands high on its own merits.
October 1, 2017
I love this movie so much, It got me through some pretty hard heartbreaks and its always a must watch for me.
September 23, 2017
Nice to see a proper rom com for once. Levitt and Deschanel give strong performances in a film that takes risks with its narrative structure and ending.
September 23, 2017
This movie is certainly a bittersweet experience. On the one hand, the performances are good and genuine. On the other hand, the story is kind of depressing. That is life though, right? I recommend people going through a break-up watch this. It isn't really a happy date kind of movie.
½ September 21, 2017
Cute, could get annoying at some point, but luckily it stays fresh all the way through. More than a decent love story. Thumbs up!
September 10, 2017
½ August 21, 2017
Very slow rom-com, with charming narrative but not innovative story.
½ August 18, 2017
Just the right amount of pessimism and optimism for me. I related to both characters pretty easily. And it was nice the way they did the time jumps so it wasn't the same boring boy-meets-girl drab.
August 18, 2017
The quirkiness can feel forced, and there's the tiniest bit of an identity crisis throughout, but overall "(500) Days of Summer" is an enjoyable film with a core relationship that feels authentic and engaging.
August 7, 2017
A romantic greeting-card writer is caught completely off-guard when his girlfriend, Summer suddenly dumps him. A nonlinear 500-day reflection in which he realizes what he did wrong in order to move on. The acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel is truly convincing and it is not a cliché movie to be a romantic comedy, which is rare, but rather the opposite, it is actually very relatable and similar to what life is really like.
August 6, 2017
A clever twist on the well played out romantic comedy genre. This film provides an interesting look into the inner workings of a relationship, centred on the lead 'couple' played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. I love both these actors and they do an excellent job in their respective roles. There is obvious chemistry and this helps to draw the audience into the story, making you actually care for the outcome. The film uses some interesting cinematic techniques throughout. The story has a non-linear structure and jumps back and forth in time to show you snippets of the 500 days that span Tom and Summer's time together. This is done with surprising precision and at no time do you feel lost in the narrative. There is also a lovely dual perspective scene done 'splitscreen' and a spontaneous song, neither of which feel out of place. Ideas about fate and destiny are neatly ingrained into the narrative without getting to heavy on the philosophy.
The soundtrack is fantastic and used perfectly throughout. Webb has good ear for music to compliment a keen eye for where it belongs.
What makes this film though is two excellent central performances. Deschanel is her usual geeky, quirky doe-eyed self and it fits perfectly in this film. She even manages to make you cast her as the 'bad guy' when most of her screen time she remains endlessly likable.
It is easy to see why Tom falls in love...
Levitt is also on fine form in this. He brings some neat comic touches to his character (we all know he can do comedy) but also manages a wide range of emotions as he moves through the rollercoaster that is being in love with Summer.
The film has an honest and realistic approach that sets it above your average love story. In a sense this is the anti-romcom, a film that deals with real love in all its brutal glory
½ July 26, 2017
This is one of my favorite romantic comedies to watch on any occasion, great film.
July 7, 2017
Yes, it's a subversive take on the romcom. But a sloppy execution, mediocre performances, and plenty of indulgent, cringe-worthy scenes leave me disappointed.
July 6, 2017
This has to be my all time favorite movie! The cinematography is spectavlcular and I am so in love with the plot. This movie hit a close topic for me and I will never not appreciate it! THIS is a must-see!