500 Days of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Days of Summer Reviews

August 14, 2016
My initial reaction after finishing this is "Wow! How charming!" That
kind of sums up my overall feeling about 500 DAYS OF SUMMER, although
the narrative turns take you through a much wider range of emotion. The
basic plot is of the "boy meets girl" variety, with the "boy" being
played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the "girl," Zooey Deschanel.
However, this is not your typical romantic film. Zooey Deschanel is the
"Summer" of the title, and the story hops backwards and forwards
through Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Summer's 500 day relationship.
For starters, the broken-up chronology, although somewhat of a cliché
at this point, was useful insofar as it withheld plot secrets until the
right moment, regulating the stream of information toward the viewer
and maintaining interest. Of course, it helps that the two leads are
quite likable and have pretty good chemistry together, in that
awkward, post-modern way. I also thought that the message about
fate/destiny being an illusory concept rather apropos in a society that
has (largely) moved beyond traditional gender roles, as the film
demonstrates to a high degree. In a world where those kind of barriers
come down, it can be scary and more confusing, but that's often the
beauty of it as well. Without things prewritten or having to conform to
a set "script," we are free to interpret events as we choose and mold
our lives to the form we desire. The only cog in the film's machine is,
unfortunately, Tom, who initially displays a dangerous level of
complacency and hesitancy, which proves detrimental to his relationship
with Summer. By contrast, Summer is a strong, but not invulnerable,
female character. I really liked her, whereas Tom had to grow on me
(development!). Overall, the film is certainly a shot in the arm to the
well-worn romantic dramedy. There were some nice meta touches, i.e., a
dance sequence, and a split-screen sequence which shows "Expectation
vs. Reality." Some of the social commentary did seem a little
on-the-nose, and it didn't exactly move me emotionally in the greatest
way, but I laughed a lot and was constantly thinking about the message
the film portrayed. So, definitely one to check out if you haven't
already.
August 10, 2016
Cinematography, acting, music, plot are all phenomenal. The film makes no false promises of a cheesy love story or boy becomes hero. Rather it is a very real, human, relatable experience that makes you resonate with the characters. It's a film where everyone can say "I know that feeling", or "I've been there". We have all been a Tom or Summer at one point or knew one, and can recognize the flaws in them as if they were our own and give us clarity and awareness. Such a beautiful, heartfelt story that is a true depiction of romance and dating in real life.
½ August 8, 2016
As realistic and honest as it is heartwarming and funny, 500 Days of Summer is a movie with an outstanding personality and an engrossing narrative, all enhanced by it's excellent pacing, smart direction and fitting soundtrack.
½ August 7, 2016
Liked Levitt in this one , but how he holds up with Zooey beats me ...i would ban her much earlyer out of my life ! Just friends ??? Phoe . SOMDVD
½ July 10, 2016
A fun movie for anyone in there 20's and possibly other ranges. Both leads do a great job of delivering dialogue in a well directed script. There are several fun moments in this movie that may come off as cheesy if you aren't fully invested. There is a lot of jumping around but it gives you the feel of hearing a friend telling a disjointed tale of his love life. The manic pixie dream girl character may be over done today, but this was one of the first movies that started things off. Definitely a cute watch, not technically a romance so don't let that turn you away.
½ June 30, 2016
Thought this was bad back when I was a naive young idiot and now it's even worse.
Try to name one person more unbearable than Zooey Deschanel.
½ June 27, 2016
Cute and relatable, "500 Days of Summer" is yet another solid romantic comedy where Joseph Gordon-Levitt can shine.

Tom Hansen, a greeting card writer, falls in love with the secretary of his new boss. However, when it's stated that she doesn't believe in love, nor does she want a serious relationship, he accepts in hope that he can make something more of it.

I knew little, if anything about this movie going into it, but I was excited to watch it. I picked it up on Blu-Ray at my local DVD store for a few bucks and I was finally excited that I had the chance to watch it. To my surprise, it actually turned out to be pretty good. Granted, it doesn't feel like anything new or original, and nothing here is going to blow your mind, but it's a very cute and honest romance that will be able to hit home for more than a few people.

First and foremost, I am a fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I've liked Zooey Deschanel in the few things I've seen her in. Individually, they each fill their roles real nicely and Levitt has always been a great, comedic/dramatic actor, but together, they create this very charming and pleasant atmosphere that I'd like to see more of. They work really well together and they build off of each other pretty well. They bring out the personality of the characters and they're able to help relay this great and real message about love.

I feel like the best words to describe the script was cute and realistic. For starters, whenever I say a romantic movie's screenplay is cute, that's a really good thing for me. When I'm able to giggle and relate to the things that the characters themselves are doing, it just helps bring this new experience that I only get to experience every so often in real life. When I say realistic, that means that this movie is completely honest about how our minds work when it comes to different scenarios of love. In the end, all of us just want to love and when we think we've found love, we'll do what we can to pursue it. Even though it's obvious that this is probably not the path that Tom should take, considering he's blatantly told that, it shows how clouded our minds can get and how love can easily take over the human brain. I really like the message this movie portrayed about love and how difficult it can be sometimes.

Although I understand why they did it, I'm not sure I liked the format of this movie. They were constantly jumping back and forth from day 1, to day 494, back to day 23, then to day 254, and it just got really confusing at a point. It felt like they were jumping from timeline to timeline just for a few comedic moments and it felt a little bit messy.

I also felt the narration was unnecessary. We didn't need the narration to help guide us through, especially since neither of the characters were doing it. I felt like it could've been more meaningful if Tom was narrating the story, but instead, it was some random guy doing it. It felt out of place and awkward at times to the point where it just got annoying.

The resolution of the story was also out of left field. I won't spoil anything, but the way it resolved not only conflicted with some moral values of one of the characters, but was a very quick and cheap way to wrap things up. It helps resolve Tom's character but it honestly makes Summer's character more unlikable for me.

Still, in the end, I had plenty of fun with the movie and I was able to leisurely laugh and smile throughout.
June 25, 2016
An honest romantic comedy with more comedy than romance.
June 22, 2016
'500 Days of Summer' starts as a quintessential romantic-comedy movie that toys with cliches, but eventually shatters the conventional romance platitude with it's creatively executed non-linear storytelling, bold and beautiful script, and solid performances from the lead cast. Ultimately, '500 Days of Summer' is one of the most genuine, and most memorable romantic-comedy movies in recent memory.
June 20, 2016
This is one of those movies I loved, the moment I watch it, It's honest, it's raw, it's funny and clever, it make you feel and see that relationships are complex, and most of the time both sides have a point. People don't always look the same thing, it's a great movie, and the acting by both leads is nice.
June 16, 2016
Gah. Why is Tom pretty much me. I've never found a movie so relatable before it might be my new favorite.
June 6, 2016
This is what I call a clever movie with a beautiful twist.
½ May 27, 2016
Such a fantastic film. Its a pretty accurate depiction of some themes in modern society
½ May 26, 2016
It's not your typical chick flick, but it's still funny, entertaining, and brings up some very complicated questions involving soulmates and true love.
May 25, 2016
"You should know upfront, this is not a love story."
May 24, 2016
This movie is an indie dream; the highs are so beautifully high and the lows were a masterpiece! Soundtrack to die for, perfect with a glass of wine!
May 19, 2016
A romantic comedy that is so self aware about itself, it's oddly psychological.
May 17, 2016
500 Days of Summer is funny, unique and very real. The characters all have qualities that we share as humans as well as flaws and are all interesting and convincing. Overall this is defiantly a feel-good film and a convincingly real one at that with relatable characters and hysterical moments.
½ April 26, 2016
Sweet, heartwarming, and funny, 500 Days of Summer is one of the best romances in the world.