500 Days of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Days of Summer Reviews

July 7, 2017
Yes, it's a subversive take on the romcom. But a sloppy execution, mediocre performances, and plenty of indulgent, cringe-worthy scenes leave me disappointed.
July 6, 2017
This has to be my all time favorite movie! The cinematography is spectavlcular and I am so in love with the plot. This movie hit a close topic for me and I will never not appreciate it! THIS is a must-see!
July 6, 2017
500 days of summer is a heartwarming movie with charm, fun and rom-com special tricks. I really liked it, it's a love story that is as subtle as most real-life love stories are, with an eye for detail and actors plus filmmakers who really put their time, effort and heart into it. However, I did find some things to object to, like the somewhat flat characters. The girl doesn't believe in romance, the guy is obsessed by it, a theme that hardly changes throughout the movie. Also, the supporting characters are, besides the little girl playing soccer, very weak actors or, at least, do not show their best performances. The plot, however, does justice to the movie and is both interesting and thought provoking. All and all I agree with this rating: it is indeed a solid must-watch.
June 29, 2017
Tom Hansen & Summer :)
June 17, 2017
Expectations...Reality

Theres always an Autumn after the Summer.

I absolutely loved this movie. Brilliant performance by Joseph Gordon !!!
June 7, 2017
A good movie, with a beautiful story for those who suffer from love
June 2, 2017
500 Days of Summer is one of my all-time favorite movies and I will tell you why. The male protagonist in the story is simply someone I can highly relate to. The idea of love, friendships, and relationships all get complicated and this movie portrays a story of all three so well. It makes us think of past experiences with relationships and how something can feel so wonderful and at the same time so confusing. Simply put, it is a love story that isn't a love story.
Sounds complicated? Yes, it does. It is what relationships and love can do to a person. Sometimes we see things that may be perfect for us that are actually imperfect. The story was good, but I feel like something else really made this film stronger. After watching it the second time or more, I noticed very subtle expressions from the male protagonist that really amazed me with his acting skills in this movie. You can almost feel how he felt during his moments whether it was during his attraction or anger. You could see it in his eyes and simple facial expressions how he truly reacted to every detailed moment or comment. The emotions felt so real and that is what made this movie even better. If you do not know what I mean, you must see it for yourself. Or if you have watched it already, watch it again and pay attention to the detail in the main character's expressions and how he reacts to every comment the lead female says.
May 14, 2017
Charming, funny, heartbreaking, beautifully acted even though you know at the beginning it's truly not a love story. Great to revisit at times.
½ April 14, 2017
Very slow rom-com, with charming narrative but not innovative story.
½ April 3, 2017
"Summer" tells the story of Tom's (Gordon-Levitt) struggle to figure out why his ex left him. Unfortunately, you can see why from the start: He's entitled, childish and hard to root for. Deschanel's title character is at least likable, but the movie is utterly unconcerned with what's going on in her head. She's just a backboard for Tom's self pity. The nonlinear narrative technique was cool, but it required energy I wasn't up to putting in for a protagonist who is an asshole.
March 21, 2017
All time favorite movie. Not only is the story line so real in today's day and age, but the cinematography is beautiful. The way they utilize colors and provide enticing visuals make the movie that much more in depth. Characters were well developed and portrayed in an unusual and artistic way.
½ March 13, 2017
Entertaining, but quite poorly acted and way too cute for its own good. The style was nice but kind of obvious. I understand it was Tom's movie and told through his alternating rose- and black-colored glasses, but we literally never got to know a single thing about Summer. That's kind of a problem. Best scene: Expectations vs. Reality. Good soundtrack. Though as the movie states, liking the same things -- like musicians -- isn't enough of a reason to love something.
½ March 10, 2017
A poignant, rare break up movie with an excellent soundtrack. Neither lead breaks the mold too much and the film could have benefited from using Moretz more.
½ March 9, 2017
If you have not seen this movie, you must, immediately. It's just a good all around movie. It also stars Zooey Deschanel, which is win, AND the tripping teenager from Super Troopers.
½ March 5, 2017
That was a very long Ikea ad....
½ March 4, 2017
When we revolve the time qhen we first met someone 2e loved. When we revolved around someone that breaks our heaRt in the end. When we naturally think life revolves around us when we got loyal friends and family. When naturally we depend on thkngs that revolve when it transports us, it moves us, it is industry that influence us, it is built in us. When we have a solar system that revolving is natural when we have four seasons and a sun. 2hen we revolve around holidays each year to work for a greeting card company. When we share the same common revolving interests. When we gave always revolved around ourselves and share the same similarities when they do to and others to them. When revolving around some things is just who We are and shapes our habits. When we revolve around things when we strive for perfection. 2hen not everyone shares in what we revolve around. When our brains are wired to revolve when we have songs that stick in our head when they are catchy. When revolving is obsessive when it's constant. When we are addicted to revolving when drinks are involved. When we don't always revolve on what most people revolve to being independent. When we all have a representative of those things we revolve around to know you either stay revolved or not with them (ie santa). When we just like revolving around some people when their Ora is positive and fresh. When everyone revolves around somethings including machines. When we revolve around our imagination of a perfect or ideal life when we picture ourselves together in a joking manner. When we revolve around the idea of somethings to either believe or not believe in some things. When we revolve around somethings when it happens it's a victory, it's an accomplishment, it's a song and dance that we rejoice in. When we naturally revolve when the concept of dating has always been home, work, personal life and back again. When we revolving too much, we get tiresome that change is needed. When we revolve around the ideas we think is right and suitable we draw it out and show. When we are open to revolve around somethings we are trusting to those we are accepting and comfortable with. 3hen we revolved around some people for too long that we need a detour qhen things go south and negative.

When we revolve around somethings for too long and enjoy the ride if both spaces we share and circulating back and forth we can't help but want to settle and breed on each other's gravitational space. When we revolve around some people for too long we spin. When we can just see that we are revolving and headed towards somewhere that we were clear we would steer clear. When we have revolved around many others spaces. When revolving around our own space mixed with others it could get toxic. When we naturally produce waste that revolves when it's part of life. When our memory captures good moments like film the revolve and project like films. When our stuff revolves and circulating around and around we naturally revolve. When the reason we are good at revolving when we have deep feelings to express ourselves and thoughts in which others cant. 2hen we are good at revolving but slow down we need grease to get us going again on a different line. When we can't revolve around other gravity when their pull is too strong. When some revolving routEs we taken we may think is different but the same. When some revolving routEs are like train tracks we enjoy over and over again but we eventually have to get off. When it's a short or long enjoyable ride that is addicting that we miss that makes revolving extra more enjoyable. When we revolve around and around like dancers we take the same route back to and revisit old acquaintance. When we revolved around the same route to know that others have taken the route and detoured to another direction. When we wish those would still remain revolved around us but can't. 2hen We remain still in the same place and haven't revolved out to being confronted about it that makes seem as if we haven't launched at all. When we are revolving around alone being toxic to those nearby. When revolving so much drains our energy and time ticks aWay. When we could careless when we revolve around in our negative space. When our industry has revolved around special moments and emotions and stood past the hand of time to kno2 it is still a thriving and needed industry qhen times are hard and busy to express what we want. when we revolvE and dwell on the past and see the subtle signs we could have saved ourselves the energy and trip, 2hen others are thinking of detouring. When 2e are ready to be launched into a different solar system and revolve around some other orbits. When we learn to revolve orbits and see how to launch, soar and circle patterns then we steer clear of dangers and mark our plans to fly smoothly. When we rather revolve around more steady and firmly in placed orbits that we rather revolve around. When we countless orbits to revolve around that we happen to confidently find life When we least expect it.
½ March 2, 2017
So very realistic. A movie with great performances that is actually pretty funny and has great poetic moments. "Not a love story" told through the perspective of a guy who falls into love and the roller coaster of emotion because of it. Recommended for most ages 91% 9/10
March 1, 2017
Marc Webb's warm, wonderful, complex romantic comedy is something special.
February 24, 2017
Probably my favorite movie about love (but not a love story). Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have the most charming relationship and chemistry. The movie is delightful even when it punches you in the gut with reality (although it's hard to imagine anyone not loving Tom
in reality). It's one I can rewatch and laugh and sigh over the highs and lows of trying to find "the one."