500 Days of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

500 Days of Summer Reviews

January 11, 2017
Probably my favorite romantic movie about love, or at least up towards the top. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have the most charming relationship that really comes off the screen and drives home the story. It's one I can rewatch and laugh and sigh over the highs and lows of trying to find "the one."
½ January 7, 2017
It made me feel very very very sad and angry. Particularly sad.
½ December 28, 2016
A refreshing romantic comedy that's thoughtful and distinct from the generic feel good sensation of the genre, and that's because of it's honest dramatization and narrative, which is ultimately satisfying.

It is subtly thoughtful and moving because of how Tom portrays qualities of all people who undergo breakups; stubborn, lazy, and mopey. And how his non-linear narrative arranges his memories of his relationship from worst to best.

The choice of using a non-linear style of jumping back and forth between scenes and memories is creative and realistic in this film because it is timely for it's character Tom, though confusing at first.

The screenplay is creative and artistic in it's approach in portraying how Tom views his relationship. On a certain scene, he's got a musical sequence to the groove of "You Make My Dreams Come True." And then another scene, a black-and-white-silent-film-type of scene that' emulates a confessional.

Whether you're about to watch this for the first time, just finished watching, or hitting the replay button, know that this movie is anchored on Tom, and how he champions his convictions about love and destiny. The screenplay and the non-linear fashion, that everyone talks about, is solely and mutely told from Tom's frame of reference-His expectations that stem from pop culture, how his expectations have been inscribed to his character, and how his expectations fail him.

It's ending scene is memorable because the movie presents it's message in an inspired, thoughtful, and abrupt fashion.
December 20, 2016
There is a lot wrong with this movie, but also a lot that Webb and the writers got right. One of the best romance movies ever and very possibly the best romantic comedy.
December 8, 2016
This is not another common romantic/comedy movie a la Jennifer Aniston. This is something more.
½ December 3, 2016
Funny and entartaining, with a great performance from Zoe Deschannel. The soundtrack is amazing.
I would definitely recommend it.
December 3, 2016
A fun romance film about breaking up.
November 25, 2016
This is the emotional rollercoaster that you were never warned of, but it might actually break you in just the same way.
[Complexities abound]
November 24, 2016
As imperfect humans do we tend to remember things in an order organized from worst to best - never-ending is the dwelling upon situations either doused in some sort of emotional trauma or some sort of discontent. Sometimes are good memories premier, but we're more inclined to lying awake at night beating ourselves up over moments we wish we could take back.
As the entirety of subversive romantic comedy "(500) Days of Summer" is told in flashback, kicking off at the tail end of a failed romance, it would perhaps prefer to focus on the finer feelings of its central doomed relationship to its slow burns of heartbreak. But because it's eerily close in its resembling to one's memory bank - it tells of the five-hundred day long relationship between Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and the eponymous Summer (Zooey Deschanel) in a non-linear style that jumps back and forth between seemingly unrelated days (from Day 2 to Day 250, for example) - there's never a moment not shaded by longing bittersweetness, by empathetic relatability.
Because we've all had relationships like the one spotlighted in "(500) Days of Summer." An underdog in a genre that takes a liking to perfect matches and champions the unrealistic ideology that is the soulmate, in place is the kind of unbalanced courtship wherein one party is deeply in love while the other is consistently unsure of their true emotions and eventually becomes a heartbreaker.
The looming relational train wreck, immediately (and bitterly) is autobiographically revealed at the film's opening, but even without it would we be easily equipped to tell that Tom and Summer's love is distinctly one-sided - Tom would kill for the titular, quirky brunette beauty without hesitation, whereas Summer, despite obviously caring a great deal for the beau she does, in her defense, declare that she doesn't much want to begin with, isn't so sure she can commit to making such declarations surrounding the opposite party anyway.
And yet the tragicomic trappings of "(500) Days of Summer" arguably make it more memorable a romantic comedy. How energizing it is to have a genre gem in which the leading couple isn't actually made for each other, in which happy endings aren't so certain in their happily ever after positioning, in which the male hero's more than an idealistic pile of charm and in which the female of interest has more to worry about than her romantic life.
The screenplay, by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, is appealingly offbeat, packed with charismatic artistic detours that include a musical sequence and a talking head style, black-and-white documentary imitating confessional. The direction, by Marc Webb, enchants without running into schmaltz. Levitt is humanely congenial, Deschanel lovable if damaged.
But by "(500) Days of Summer's" end are we, at odds with its mostly impeccable technical and artistic risks, left feeling as though it could be something more than it is. Pestering me is the notion that we could have been presented with a primary cinematic romance that didn't so often take on the tone of lovestruck boy running after girl who doesn't like him all that much (Summer's various states of disregarding paired with her brushes with ingenuity and authenticity make her a sometimes difficult character to understand - though I suppose that could be precisely the point). Badgering me is the idea that the characterizing of the beginning and ending of Tom and Summer's relationship is so strong that the juice coming in the middle almost seems nonexistent (which is, therefore, a detrimental setback). Still, the movie's beautifully nonconforming and oftentimes categorically superior - it's genre fodder a cut above from its formula driven peers.
½ November 21, 2016
From a unique and artistic standpoint, 500 Days of Summer does an incredible job. However I felt the story could have been more complete. Non the less, it is a good movie.
½ November 18, 2016
Some days i hate it, some days i love it.
November 14, 2016
While Deschanel was wonderfully charming, Levitt ruined the film along with Arend. The musical numbers were not impressive and the story was really superficial. If you are looking for some cheesy romantic comedy with no chemistry then this will do, otherwise please avoid.
November 5, 2016
Está bien que, de vez en cuando, nos bañen con dosis de realidad amorosa en el mundo del cine; que no todo sean finales felices y amores fructíferos.
½ October 25, 2016
Amazing strory. Tight Script. soothing music. All makes you to fall in love. but unlike the usual romcoms, it has the so desperately wanted twist
½ October 11, 2016
Hey look! An actually really good romantic comedy! Those are pretty rare. Anyway, I really enjoyed this film. It's incredibly weird and over the top with it's quirkiness, but yet still manages to be believable and make a point. It's so clever and so original with it's style that you can't help but smile the whole time.
October 10, 2016
THIS MOVIE SUMS UP MY LIFE I REALLY LOVE THIS MOVIE
October 8, 2016
Simply one of the best (or the best?) Rom-Com of the last 20 years.
It gives an honest and sincere view on the complicated process of falling in love with somebody, helped by the innate charisma of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel.
October 4, 2016
Jo-go-lev and Zooey otp.
October 1, 2016
If you ever want a go-to romcom, this is the one. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel hit it out of the park with their acting and chemistry together. This really is the movie that catapulted JGL's acting career into what it is today. The movie is filled with funny, enjoyable moments such as the "You Make My Dreams Come True" scene. However, it doesn't take anything away from the plot and the issue it tackles. This movie does an excellent job detailing the reality of love and relationships and avoids all the fairy tale bs in the majority of other romcoms. It's a movie any young teen should see before venturing into the fantastic, yet confusing and stressful world of relationships.

The movie is presented in a creative, non-linear fashion taking the viewer back and forth through the 500 days that Tom experienced with Summer, culminating in the 500th day, which brought the entire movie full circle. The ending scene is ONE OF THE BEST of all-time and truly presents the message of the movie: that although a relationship you were once in, which ended abruptly and hurt you, but brought you so many happy memories, dwelling on what once was will only hurt and cut you deeper and prevent you from seeing what new memories and opportunities lay right in front of you.
September 28, 2016
if ppl look at the plot as it is, its like any other chick-flick they see every year, but the story-telling, sequences and direction really breath in fresh air to its life; letting ppl see the backstage of emotions. I love the new directions, presentations, and symbolism. Definitely an empathic drama, Romantic drama many shall say, but really, its "only a story about boy meets girl." it doesnt really answer many questions, just provides a more dynamic look on things.