A Better Life Reviews

• Oct 16, 2019

A good film portraying the reality of millions of people living in the United States. Definitely a heartstring-tugger for viewers with immigrant families. Yet, the film does not do enough to help non-immigrant viewers emphasize with the story. The story itself revolves around a do-good father and a son who is coming to age. Some moments felt cliche. Some felt forced. Some felt unnatural. There were places where I had to step back and ask myself "why was this included in the movie?" I'd rate this a 3/5. The movie moved a bit slow and could have done more justice in telling its story. Nevertheless, it's still a good film to watch in its genre.

• Apr 26, 2019

A good movie with a nice story to it, but not too deep concerning character buildup that could have been. Seems shallow.

• Dec 16, 2018

This is one of my favorite films ever. I've seen it many times and shared it with friends. To me, it captures a perspective on immigration that needs to be communicated to a wider audience, especially in today's society in 2018. Also, EXCELLENT performance by Demian Bichir and Jose Julian!

• Sep 30, 2018

This well-performed father-son drama echoes the Italian classic "The Bicycle Thief" as a modern update with expected but unpredictable parallels in its own narrative turns when testing the bond within social influential impacts (honorable morality vs alternative irrationality), leading into a sad yet realistic and understanding conclusion after a finely acceptable path. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 24, 2018

Weitz's most mature work, detailing the Sisyphean travails of someone purehearted and trusting in a country that could use a bit of both. Any complaints for this film belong in the realm of nitpicking. Desplat's score is genuinely bittersweet.

• Nov 18, 2017

Amazing acting. Really makes you appreciate your parents and everyone who cares for you. Great story and very touching.

• Aug 31, 2017

Chris Weitz shares the shadow lives of Mexican illegal immigrants chasing the American dream with an emotionally resonant family drama about a father and a son coming of age when looking for their stolen means of livelihood.

• Aug 19, 2017

A beautiful and powerful movie that resonates the story of millions of immigrants. Very solid acting. Not a must see, but definitely a should see.

• Mar 23, 2017

Sepanjang satu setengah jam, Chris Weitz, sutradara film ini, menawarkan sebuah suguhan tontonan yang sederhana. Walaupun ceritanya simple, namun eksplorasi hubungan ayah dan anak di dalam film ini menjadi salah satu inti dari kisahnya.

• Mar 09, 2017

Led by a stunning performance from Demian Bichir, A Better Life approachs the subjetcs of immigration and father/son relationship with sensibility.