Reviews

• Apr 25, 2022

Christmas is my favourite time of year, not only is it the time to spend with my family but also to revisit the timeless Christmas classics that is like a tradition in our household. While I adore Christmas films like the first two Home Alone movies, Miracle on 34th Street, Muppet Christmas Carol, It's A Wonderful Life and White Christmas, it is Scrooge(1951) that enchants me the most. While not the most faithful adaptation of the book, since Bella's name is changed to Alice and there isn't a reference to Scrooge's mother's death, it is sheer mastery in terms of acting, music, cinematography and capturing the spirit of the book. I also want to say I adore Charles Dickens's book. It is a Christmas literary classic, along with The Nutcracker and The Polar Express. It just has an amazing story, totally original characters and is just a delight to read full stop. Scrooge(1951), is not the most true to the book, but I do think it does do a masterly job at capturing the book's spirit, and for that reason is the definitive adaptation. The basic ingredients are all there and are expertly refined. Scrooge is just a great Christmas classic, simply put, and it is for me the quintessential Christmas movie. The cinematography is faultless. Shot in stunning black and white, it is smooth, crisp, efficient and never jerky. The black and white looks simply amazing after all these years, and the production values are perfect. The music is outstanding; beautiful arrangements of well known tunes throughout to remind us of the festive season and the additional music is memorable and extremely touching, though the music when Scrooge realises it's him who's dead is really chilling. The story about a Christmas miser who is haunted by his partner and three spirits into changing his ways is one of the best loved Christmas stories ever, and it is not hard to see why. As a story, it is impeccably crafted, and the storytelling of Dickens is masterly. All the elements of the book are there in this film, apart from some aforementioned changes. The acting is spot on. Alistair Sim was a fine actor, who to this day is undervalued. Here he gives quite possibly the best performance of his entire career, and for me he is the definitive Ebeneezer Scrooge. Don't get me wrong I loved Albert Finney, George C.Scott, Kelsey Grammar, Michael Caine and Patrick Stewart, but Sim was the embodiment of the character and dominated the entire movie on his own. No scene with him in rang false, and his change from miserly to kind at the end was heartbreakingly believable. There were some fine supporting performances too, with Michael Horden splendid as Jacob Marley, Mervyn Johns humble as Bob Cratchitt and George Cole earnest as Young Scrooge. At the end of the day though, it is Sim's movie. A movie that is so good it should be on the top 250. 10/10 Bethany Cox

• Jan 06, 2022

The best of the best. I have watched all of them.

The best of the best. I have watched all of them.

• Dec 26, 2021

Best version. Sim is the best Scrooge!

Best version. Sim is the best Scrooge!

• Dec 22, 2021

There are many adaptations of Charles Dickens' classic tale, but A Christmas Carol (1951) is among the best. Alastair Sim's portrayal of Ebenezer Scrooge is one people have been copying for decades, as he's able to be both credibly crabby and believably benevolent. Plus, this version feels like a ghost story, which seems more faithful to the original work. Don't let the black & white fool you, this film is timeless.

• Dec 18, 2021

The definitive version of the classic tale. Alastair Sim is an utter delight in the lead, superbly lit and a must watch every Christmas.

• Dec 11, 2021

85% from critics? Seriously? Without a doubt, the best Ebenezer Scrooge performance on film, period. Watch it.

• Nov 23, 2021

This is a classic. Always played on British TV around Christmas, even today. I'm a big fan of the book. And this is arguably the adaptation that is the most faithful to the book. Although it is its rigid faithfulness to the books that slows it down a bit. Other adaptations cut out some scenes for the sake of picking up the pace. Yet this film still manages a respectable 86 minutes. And dickens story is as timeless as ever. All in all, give it a watch.

• Aug 27, 2021

This is a classic that I look forward to watching with my father and my sons every year at Christmas time.

• Apr 19, 2021

The greatest version of the Charles Dickens novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Feb 28, 2021

Easily in the top 5 best Christmas movies of all time. Maybe top 3.

Easily in the top 5 best Christmas movies of all time. Maybe top 3.