A Date with Judy Reviews

• May 27, 2020

I know it's trite but: They don't make 'em like this any more! It's fluff but it's very tasty fluff. Liz looked lovely, Jane was adorable and her singing was beautiful, but I think Carmen Miranda really stole it. She's always a delight to watch and hear. Beery was a kick in the pants. And the costumes: delicious! Love those 1940s fashions. And the little brother cracked me up. Highly recommended for those who don't mind a bit of corn.

• Jun 07, 2019

Thin plot, with MGM trying to rehash some of its glory days and failing miserably. Louie Mayer had a penchant for opera singers -- Kathryn Grayson, Jane Powell, etc. -- that America did not share. Powell was great when she sang in normal cadence, but when she traveled to the moon with her voice, it turned audiences off. Elizabeth Taylor at 15 was thrown at a mature Robert Stack, who was 27. Nothing was said of any age difference. That was OK in 1948. So was the poor treatment of Scotty Beckett. Would teenagers enjoy Xavier Cugat? I doubt it. Come on! This movie has elements of charm, but its a mess, much like the so-called teen movies of the 60s, which were written by 40 year olds who had no idea what rock and roll was. Films can be very far behind the times when it comes to young people and their music. This film is no exception.

• Mar 12, 2018

16 year old Taylor was cast as a femme fatale in training, and 18 year old Powell as her slightly younger friend in this coming of age tale. While interesting to see the many layers of angst, this film is ultimately a bit juvenile - even for the post war years. Watch for a young Robert Stack and the excellent Wallace Beery both shuffling onto the dance floor.

• Jan 08, 2016

MGM's all-star, Technicolor adaptation of a popular 1940's radio show; a big hit in 1948, it now resembles a two-hour long sitcom with songs. Introduced several hit tunes including "Cuanto La Gusta," and "It's a Most Unusual Day."

• Aug 21, 2013

It's a bubbly old-fashioned romantic/comedy/musical.

It's a bubbly old-fashioned romantic/comedy/musical.

• Nov 20, 2012

A rather unspectacular comedy/musical, I guess, in which a high school prom is approaching and one young teenager Judy Foster (Jane Powell) is trying to figure what man she wants to take to the event, after the boy (Scotty Beckett) she is interested in declines her invitation. On the side, the boy's sister (Elizabeth Taylor) has booked bandleader Xavier Cugat (himself), who fiancée (Carmen Miranda) is teaching the Mr. Foster (Wallace Beery) how to dance. To add to this, a soda shop sets Judy up with his hansom nephew (Robert Stack). Strange cast and catchy tunes barely help this film pass by. Not great, although Miranda is good to look and watch and has her amusing moments.

• Jun 16, 2011

Jane Powell sings like an Angel, Elizabeth Taylor at the Height of her Beauty, Carmen Miranda & Xavier Cugat, Ohhhhh, Be Still My Heart!

• Jul 05, 2010

A childhood favorite.

A childhood favorite.

• Mar 30, 2010

I enjoyed this more than I was expecting. Just seeing Wallace Beery rumba with Carmen Miranda was worth watching the film for! Great score, nicely done songs. The costume design is good. The very young Elizabeth Taylor is clearly budding into one of the greatest beauties to grace the screen. Solid support from Selena Royle and Leon Ames, It doesn?t rank among the greatest musicals ever made, but it is light, entertaining and fun.

• Mar 30, 2010

68/100. I enjoyed this more than I was expecting. Just seeing Wallace Beery rumba with Carmen Miranda was worth watching the film for! Great score, nicely done songs. The costume design is good. The very young Elizabeth Taylor is clearly budding into one of the greatest beauties to grace the screen. Solid support from Selena Royle and Leon Ames, It doesn't rank among the greatest musicals ever made, but it is light, entertaining and fun.