A Ghost Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Ghost Story Reviews

½ November 20, 2017
Insufferably slow and pretentious. Watching paint dry is more interesting
½ November 19, 2017
What a joke! This mindless numbing wanna be artsy and spooky flick, only Millenial generation can appreciate
½ November 18, 2017
Am unconventional movie but really interesting at the same time.
November 18, 2017
Super slow but different. A movie for the artsy type.
November 18, 2017
Certainly different..... some elements work, as a whole somewhat limited by having to infer so much from a voiceless/expressionless primary "character."
½ November 16, 2017
Film is an art of time management. Filmmakers assemble its desires and satisfactions in precisely measureable increments. The running length is a contract between them and their audience. We hold up our end of the contract when we step into the theater or press the 'play' icon on our streaming service. When the movie begins, the filmmakers have that prescribed length of time to hold up theirs.

David Lowery, writer and director of A Ghost Story, tasked himself with a daunting challenge for an artist of any medium: to represent eternity. In total, he needs just 92 minutes.

The ghost's story is C's, played by Casey Affleck when alive and played by Casey Affleck in a sheet when dead. As we imagine true to the story of most ghosts, he clings to something left behind in this world. In C's case, it's a note from his lover, M (Rooney Mara), maybe a final goodbye, maybe not, but something final in any case. Without it, C is stranded in eternity, an unscathed bystander forced to bear witness to the timely decrepitude of materialism. He has an eternity to long for the only momentary. And we long with him.

A Ghost Story is an elegy to love written in time. Alternately still and rhapsodic, Lowery gives us the painful felt sense of moments lived, with long-takes of quiet domestic tedium, but also the sensation of time passing us by, as a turn of the head eclipses a year or a decade, and centuries are lost in a jump-cut. The minutes sometimes tick, sometimes breathe, sometimes swirl.

In this film, to see time is to see beyond it. Our habitual inclination is to frame eternity linearly, with a beginning and, if not an end, then at least a movement towards where an end could theoretically be. A Ghost Story resists such illusions. What it finds instead is an experience far more vast than the countdown of its run-time.
½ November 13, 2017
"David Lowery's "A Ghost Story" is one of the most emotionally poetic films I've seen in years"
DVD Movie Review: A Ghost Story
Date Viewed: November 5 2017
Written and Directed By David Lowery (Ain't Them Bodies Saints and Pete's Dragon)
Starring: Casey Affleck, Rooney Mara, Will Oldham, Sonia Acevedo, Rob Zabrecky, Liz Franke, Grover Coulson, Kenneisha Thompson, Barlow Jacobs and McColm Sephas, Jr..

The posters for "A Ghost Story" make the movie look like a silly and laughable horror flick. It isn't anything like that at all. "A Ghost Story" is an emotionally haunting melodrama that will connect with you in ways you won't expect. Fresh from his Best Actor Oscar win for "Manchester by the Sea", Casey Affleck delivers another powerful performance as a man who dies in a terrible car accident and he is brought back to life as a white-sheeted ghost. This "Story" does sound odd and strange but writer and director David Lowery (Ain't Them Bodies Saints and Pete's Dragon) flips the switch and turns it into something special. Sure, Affleck is in a white-sheeted ghost costume for a good chunk of the film but we still feel his presence on screen. Rooney Mara is also gives a terrific performance as Affleck's grieving widow.

"A Ghost Story" didn't feel like the typical cinematic experience, this is a movie that has something to say about death, love, humanity and loneliness. It is one of the most emotionally poetic films I've seen in years. "A Ghost Story" follows a struggling musician (Affleck) who lives in a small suburban home with his wife (Mara). One night, he hears a loud bang on their piano but he can't find what caused the noise. The next day, he dies in a terrible car accident just outside his house but he wakes up in the hospital as a ghost. The man is not a ghost from the supernatural world, he is a white-sheeted ghost with two black holes for eyes. He wanders through the hospital to see if anybody can see him but nobody does.

When he returns to his home, he sees his wife grieving and he watches her for days and weeks not knowing that her recently-deceased husband is still present in her house. Eventually, the ghost sees a second ghost living next door, this ghost is female and she wordlessly tells him that she is waiting for someone but she can't remember who. With the love of his life slowly slipping away from him, the ghost embarks on a cosmic journey through time and memory and he searches for something. We don't know what it is, could it be something from his love life he missed or could it be something from his past?

This bleak and emotionally compelling film also plays with horror movie tropes, the lights flipping on and off, books being thrown out of book shelves and weird noises in the night but it never feels obligatory. The cinematography by Andrew Droz Palermo is gorgeous to look at and the screenplay is ambitiously original. "A Ghost Story" is one of those outside the mainstream films that's so unforgettable, I might be thinking about seeing it a second time.
½ November 12, 2017
What a terrible confusing and frustrating movie

The biggest emotional surge is frustration at the end, not knowing what the msg was about

Overal, this whole experience is like being in a massive prank by the director, like making audience see a 10 min scene of pie eating (wtf her pain is not fustration of forced boredom, she lost a bloody husband it can't be compared if u lost anything, cat, dog, toys u should know) then the depressing monologue by a know it all hippy, who seemed to successfully convinced others to a pointless existence. Why? To coincidentally add to the shitty mood? Cheap shot.

Finally the mother of all cheap shots, make u sit and wait for the whole movie to finally not know why it happened. Is this not intentionally designed to pissed the viewer off? Don't cover these cheap shot as art; unless ur admitting that ur art is just cheap exploitation of social abnormality. What does it feel like to waste everybody's time?
November 12, 2017
15 minute scenes of people just standing around attempting drama. Horrible movie
November 12, 2017
Starts very slow & pretentious in the first half, but eventually blossoms into a strangely sentimental piece of creative storytelling.
November 11, 2017
Terrible. Like watching grass grow. Long, long, long scenes where nothing moves. This is not a movie, it's a still life. Reminds me of Andy Warhol painting pictures of soup cans and getting gushing praise from the critics. Real people know this just sucks.
November 11, 2017
This is one of the most unique films I've seen. Be prepared this is not a horror movie and it is very different than a traditional film. Limited dialogue forces you to pay attention to a story told visually. Extremely profound, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and was left thinking over it long after it ended.
November 11, 2017
horrible! wasted 2 hours of my life watching this!
November 11, 2017
30 minute story dragged out to 90. one imagines the director with a stopwatch trying to keep the scenes going long enough to fill up the screen time
½ November 10, 2017
A Ghost Story will lay out a story and it for you to put it together. If you don't like getting into your characters head, you need to avoid this movie. If you need nonstop action, you need to avoid this movie, but if you occasionally catch yourself contemplating the meaning of life, you might want to simply allow this story to unfold before of you.
½ November 9, 2017
This was a really good movie that I keep thinking about days after I watched it. It?s a really slow start and the pie scene was a little ridiculous and the sheet with the holes in it was too. But after seeing past those things this movie really hits you if you have the patience to understand the meaning behind it all. It?s really quite special.
½ November 9, 2017
Eerie and purposefully slow, but the movie taken as a whole was an emotional experience.
½ November 9, 2017
So I'm going to sit in front of a camera eating pie while pretending to hold back tears and claim that I'm writing a deep narrative. The film isn't good, at least not in my opinion. I couldn't feel anything or the actors because I can't relate to them on any level, I can't feel for the characters because we don't see them long enough to get any reason to feel anything for them. And when the English writing starts happening in the movie, it's a bunch of nihilistic preaching how nothing we do matters. If I want a slow movie I'll watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the WInd, and if I want something with nihilism I'll watch Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman.

There's a reason the Critic Rating and Audience rating are so different.
½ November 8, 2017
Slowest........................ Movie ...................... Ever. At least the dialogue was mumbly and difficult to understand.