Above the Law - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Above the Law Reviews

½ June 20, 2016
As a fan of action films, seeing the first starring role of any of the "action greats" is a must. This one does not disappoint. Seagal shows off his mastery of Akido in multiple scenes to great satisfaction. The script is decent, but like aa lot of action films in the 80s, focus was placed on the pure action and ass kicking rather than a gripping story.
May 4, 2016
Le film qui revela Steven Seagal. Pas son meilleur film mais suffisamment bourrin pour comprendre la suite de sa carriere.
March 20, 2016
Bloated and formulaic, but the gritty realism of the story is the perfect platform for Seagal's natural charisma and bountiful action sequences.
November 29, 2009
What Bloodsport did for Jean Claude Van Damme, Above the Law did for Steven Seagal. Both films feature a form of introduction, as if it's not just an introduction of the characters in the film, but an introduction of the action star leading the film. You can picture the martial arts backgrounds explained in the films being the same as the backgrounds of the martial artists.
In his debut film, Steven Seagal plays his most familiar role, a cop with a mixed background of military and aikido, which is a theme for most Steven Seagal films.
But unlike the films he is known for in later years, this film is a nicely put together action thriller with a good plot and entertaining action sequences.
Directed by Andrew Davis, who previously made a similar cop film set in Chicago (like this film) with Chuck Norris called Code of Silence. In fact, if you watch both films, you'll notice that the soundtrack is exactly the same, but it doesn't ruin it. It even has the same actor playing the main villain, played brilliantly in both by Henry Silva.
Of course, this ain't an action classic like Die Hard or a classic martial arts film like Enter the Dragon, it's better than most action films of this kind, and it's one of the better Seagal films, especially compared to his later work, where you'll be most likely disappointed with if you watch one of them after watching this one.
½ February 6, 2016
The opening sequence with Seagal training in Japan looked like an awesome set up to a martial arts movie, but it quickly changed gears and turned into a really boring cop movie. I can't even remember if I finished this movie.
September 20, 2015
This is my first Seagal movie. He's actually a better actor than a lot of the other action stars. Though he runs like a 13-year old girl.
Nico stayed the same age from Vietnam to 1988. Holding the baby is awkward. Not the most climactic ending, but the film was watchable enough.
September 13, 2015
Seagal's first and his best movie. Tough, brutal and violent
with good performances from the supporting cast.
January 17, 2011
Above The Law helms Steven Seagal as a cop that won't back down from taking on a drug cartel after the FBI mysteriously orders him and his unit to back down. This is Seagal playing the tough, unstoppable force that made him an action star, but unlike many of his later films, he shows off some genuinely fine acting chops that shows a real drive and genuine concern for the issues explored in the film, and this film isn't just some dumb action-driven plot either. This film has a grounded plot that may seem cliche at first, but delves deep enough to feel justified and worth telling as something simple is revealed to be linked to so much more. Andrew Davis would go on to direct The Fugitive five years later, but his competence in filmmaking shines enough here, even if it isn't terribly memorable. It is one of Seagal's best films if that counts.
June 21, 2007
This one was weak. Mild build up, No pay-off.
March 25, 2015
Just a very good shoot em' up popcorn flick.
January 20, 2015
A fun movie. Is it good? No. But I had fun watching, and it was not a waste of time.
Robbanflix
December 29, 2006
This is the best steven seagal movie and i think the 4 first movies he made was pretty good. After that it have been more and more worse movies from his side. They are watchable tho.
½ January 2, 2015
The acting may not be superior and the plot overused but if your a fan of action movies and Steven Seagal then it's a good watch.
October 12, 2014
Steven Seagals first film he wanders around breaking peoples faces,sharon stone plays his sookie wife,great support from grier and 80s slime Henry Silva,is it me or does everyone in this films universe drive around in town cars
August 11, 2014
The movie that introduced the world to Steven Seagal. That may leave a stain on this flick for all the people who have come to dislike the prick, and he is, but for 5 movies, starting with this one, I was a fan. Of course I was 10 and I was just happy my dad was letting me see an R-Rated movie(Actually, I think I may have seen this without his permission, shhhhh) This is the first in what I call the Nico Quadrilogy, even though the 3 that followed had no real connection to this other than Seagal is a one note actor with one character. He does that character really well as he was able to do it successfully for 5 movies. UNDER SEIGE being the fifth, but that character is at least slightly different from the NICOs. Seagal has been a mob enforcer(rumor), CIA black ops(rumor), security for high level public figures and dignitaries(sort of confirmed) and a homeless guy(confirmed for sure). But he is above all a martial artist schooled in the art of Aikido of which he is a 7th degree black belt. This, he is very good at which makes Above the Law and it's 3 non-sequel sequels so entertaining. They are bad, but the good bad. The 80's had Arnie and Sly, the early 90's had Seagal and Van Damme. Yeah the 80's got the better end of that bargain but still, fun stuff. Also has a very early performance by Sharon Stone and a wasted Pam Grier as Nico's partner. She should've got more badass things to do.
July 21, 2014
The first Seagal film, and a pretty decent one too!
November 13, 2007
También conocida como "Nico", esta es una película policiaca mediocre que introdujo al mundo a Steven Seagal (para bien o para mal) y con una Sharon Stone que pasa desapercibida.
November 18, 2012
Niko Tuskani is an ex CIA who was in Vietnam and saw a prisoner of war being tortured and quit. Now A cop in chicago he discovers what he thinks is a narcotics ring going down when its really C4 and the real plan is to assassinate the senator. Its your typical stephen seagull vs the bad guys scenario but still fun and entertaining nonetheless. Personally, I enjoy his movies because they always contain great action scenes in them. Just him beating the bad guys up is so enjoyable to watch. I thought it was a good movie from start to finish.
March 31, 2014
There is something mesmerizing about how wooden Steven Seagal is... especially when he's running. I was more impressed with his ability to speak four languages than I was with the action