Above the Law Reviews

• Oct 13, 2019

3rd best Seagal movie made. Great ass kicking. Brutal fights for the time period. Cheesy lines. It's a great example of cheesy 80's action.

• Nov 18, 2018

Dumb action but one of the better Seagal flicks as they are usually even worse.

Dumb action but one of the better Seagal flicks as they are usually even worse.

• Jan 02, 2018

A pretty convincing debut from Seagal. He is lean and mean and proves to be a capable action star. Oddly he shows some charisma in this movie which has him exchanging jokes with Pam Grier as his (i got 5 days to retirement) partner. Sharon Stone in an early role plays his wife.

• Sep 10, 2017

Considering that this is one of Steven Seagal's first films, many people think this movie is predictable despite that Steven being in it. I like it for what it is. It has some good fight scenes and there are most of Steven Seagal's fight scenes in the Early 90's made by Warner Bros, don't get me wrong. There is one scene that made me laugh is that after Steven fights the bad guys, he chases after the baddie and the baddie just runs from him and what makes me laugh is that Steven couldn't stop chasing him and then stops him. Now considering this a debut for Steven Seagal, I think I saw some of the photo's of where Steven was a kid and learns how to do karate. Despite how forgettable his films are, it's still enjoyable for what they're are and that is why Nico aka Above The Law is the example of Steven Seagal's debut. Oh, and, uh, he brakes all the bad guys bones so beware.

• Jul 03, 2017

This cool, early entry from director Andrew Davis is effective on a couple of levels: Seagal's persistence as the cop who won't stop in order to catch drug-dealing CIA agents, and for its realistic dynamics between Chicago cops. It's interesting how Davis was able to put Chicago cops to good use while hamming it up with his villains. Still, Henry Silva is always a joy to watch, even though I didn't understand his lingo a lot of the time.

• Jun 02, 2017

Above average flick that puts the CIA to task. Seagal actually had a bit of potential here, and maybe with some acting classes could have gone on to be less of a joke. Man, does he look goofy when he runs though...

• Aug 15, 2016

Sergeant Nicolo "Nico" Toscani (Steven Seagal), a native of Palermo, Italy, is a detective in the Chicago Police Department's vice squad. At an early age he became interested in martial arts, and moved to Japan to study. In 1969, Nico was recruited into the CIA by Special Agent Nelson Fox (Chelcie Ross) and was involved in covert operations on the Vietnamese-Cambodian border during the Vietnam War in 1973. There, he became disgusted with Kurt Zagon (Henry Silva), who tortured prisoners. A stand-off occurred when Nico tried to stop a torture session, and he left the CIA. Nico returned to Chicago, joined the CPD, and got married. Nico and his new partner Detective Delores "Jacks" Jackson (Pam Grier), are now investigating a drug ring, and after busting two of the dealers, including Salvadorian drug dealer Tony Salvano, Nico finds C4 explosives. Shortly afterward, the men that Nico and Jacks arrested are released at the request of Federal officials, and Nico is asked to stand down. Later, the priest of Nico's parish is killed in an explosion during Mass. Fox calls Nico and tells him to move his family to a safer location, saying that Nico is in danger. Under pressure from the Feds, Nico is asked to turn in his badge. Nico eventually finds that the dealers he busted are linked to Zagon, who is still with the CIA, and who is accused of human rights violations by a Central American priest who was being sheltered by Nico's priest. While Zagon is torturing the priest, Nico bursts in and a gun battle ensues. Detective Lukich (Ron Dean) and Jacks are wounded during the shoot-out, and Nico has to flee. Senator Ernest Harrison is investigating Zagon's group to reveal their covert operations and drug dealing. When Nico finds out that Zagon killed the priest and is planning to kill Harrison, he goes after Zagon... "Nico" or "Above The Law" was Steven Seagal´s breakthrough film and generated him a spot as the new action hero in Hollywood. I remember that I thought this was a cool new action star and I reckon at the age of 16 years old you have hardly developed a analytical sense of what actually works on the screen or not. Action movie or not. With that said I do look upon this movie a bit differently today, but when I saw it again the other week it does have a base that is not too shabby. Seagal is ok (compared to later in his career), Pam Grier is always good, nice to see a young Sharon Stone, Henry Silva is always good as a bad guy and director Andrew Davis, who directed Chuck Norris best film "Code of Silence" in 1985, knows how to do classic action vehicles and he also knows how to incorporate a city in to the storyline. The main problem with "Nico" is that the plot is not really clear, everything is a bit wishy washy and fragmented in my eyes. Steven Seagal shows off his skills and here we actually get to see him in action all the time. And not a stuntman doing his action sequences like in most of his films the past 15 years.. I bought a copy of the film at a fleemarket and to my surprise they had made some cuts in the final confrontation between Nico and Zagon in this version I got hold of. Cuts that was as well part of the version I saw in 1988. A clear minus in my eyes as I assumed these cut copies were dead and gone. Censorship is not something I support and never have. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times stated "It contains 50 percent more plot than it needs, but that allows it room to grow in areas not ordinarily covered in action thrillers." In a negative review, Hal Hinson of the Washington Post criticized it as "woefully short on originality." Trivia: A sequel was confirmed August 2nd 2016. Produced by Steven Seagal under his Steamroller productions. It is currently unknown if Andrew Davis will return to direct.

Patrick W Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2016

As a fan of action films, seeing the first starring role of any of the "action greats" is a must. This one does not disappoint. Seagal shows off his mastery of Akido in multiple scenes to great satisfaction. The script is decent, but like aa lot of action films in the 80s, focus was placed on the pure action and ass kicking rather than a gripping story.

• May 04, 2016

Le film qui revela Steven Seagal. Pas son meilleur film mais suffisamment bourrin pour comprendre la suite de sa carriere.

• Mar 20, 2016

Bloated and formulaic cop drama, but the gritty realism of the story is the perfect platform for Seagal's natural charisma and makes way for bountiful action sequences.