91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Absolute Power Reviews

Anthony L

March 3, 2014
Clint Eastwood yet again casts himself in a role that fits him like a glove. On a foot. With a cast as strong as this you'd expect at least a couple of great performances too but alas, everyone is having a bad day in the office, I can only blame Eastwood as director. I do not think he gets the best out of his actors, including himself. This is another film in his delusional directing career between the mid 70's and early 00's. He started off great and has returned to form recently but everything in between is mostly egocentric garbage.
Al S

January 17, 2013
A taunt, riveting and first-rate thriller with a twist. A compelling, well-character drawn and masterfully crafted crafted thriller from Director, Clint Eastwood. Eastwood is brilliant, he gives a great and gritty performance. Laura Linney is excellent. Ed Harris is terrific. It`s a utterly exciting and pulse-pounding thrill-ride. A fantastic movie. It delivers top-notch acting, tightly-paced plot and outstanding craftsmanship. Thrillers don`t get anymore exciting or smart than this one.
TheGame90
TheGame90

February 28, 2011
Okay movie. Didn't really stay focused....so how good could it have been? Typical 90's movie.
Conner R

December 5, 2010
This is a really fun mystery thriller. If you love Clint Eastwood and the genre, it's practically a shoe in. I really liked the idea of knowing the answers, but not knowing why they were relevant until the story unfolded. Clint Eastwood as a jewel thief is a really interesting thought. Usually he's on the other side of the law, but it turns out he can play both sides with complete ease. It's also bizarre when Gene Hackman plays evil characters because he does it so well.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 11, 2009
CLINT EASTWOOD. I dont need to review on this Movie. OUTSTANDING.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
the first 30 minutes were absolutely brilliant, but the rest of the film went down hill fairly quickly. there were huge holes in the film that were just too much to recover from, but the film was entertaining.
Jason S

April 26, 2008
I really enjoyed the movie but it seemed more low key than it should have been. We were dealing with massively important people and a situation that is pretty huge but the movie goes the quiet route and the whole thing feels small. I liked all the people involved and they all did good jobs but it seemed like there should have been a little more to it. The ending fell a little flat as well but not enough to kill the enjoyment of what came before.
Lady D

September 4, 2006
A bit of a hit and miss type film. A pretty slow start, but the general story was fairly good, yet it all seemed a little dragged out.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

March 18, 2008
This is the kind of cast that makes you say "Son of a bitch, this is a great cast!". Clint Eastwood is excellent as a career criminal that sees a lady murdered by the Secret Service while messing around with the President. All involved put in top-notch performances with a very unique story idea.
thmtsang
thmtsang

March 18, 2008
Clint is a highly skilled thief who witnesses a murder while on a job.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 3, 2008
Clint Eastwood showing his real self with a voyeur fetish.
garyX
garyX

December 24, 2006
Faintly ridiculous thriller saved from total mediocrity by a strong cast.
deano
deano

April 2, 2007
Absolutely terrific thriller since In the Line of Fire and Clint Eastwood did great jobs as the star, producer and director in this one of David Baldacci's best novels.
Chris B

January 30, 2012
Star studded and headlined/directed by Clint Eastwood this thriller can't quite live up to its top notch cast. The story suffices but doesn't bring anything new to the genre and can't utilize all its great actors with their underdeveloped roles. As far as an entertaining film though, "Absolute Power" is quite good. We are given a first-hand look at a brutal crime, along with Luther (Clint Eastwood) and then we see the cover-up and the ensuing chaos. This is a rather middling effort from Eastwood but decent.
Chosen 7

February 14, 2008
Great suspense thriller. Good performances.
David S

February 11, 2009
A so-so film from Eastwood. Having read William Goldman's account of writing it in 'Which Lie Did I Tell?' I wasn't expecting great things but there were some nice scenes. I liked the exchange in the gallery between Eastwood and Harris and Glenn's character was more interesting than I expected. Saying that Hackman has played this role numerous times (most noticably in 'No Way Out') and is nothing special and Eastwood is fine but not at his most engrossing. I kept walking out of the room to get other jobs done during the film which probably says something about something. Ho hum.
johnattridge
johnattridge

June 7, 2008
'Absolute Power' is the kind of thriller that attempts to explore character relationships yet still provide enough thrills to satisfy an adrenaline-hungry audience; one that includes a potentially smart storyline and interesting characters that work around the plot, rather than against it. Unfortunately, this technique hasn't worked as well here as the film thinks it has. The plot is supposed to concern a thief who witnesses the president commit a horrific crime, and how he must find a way to convince others of the truth. Eastwood's mistake is that he becomes so intently focused on the thief's father-daughter relationship he forgets about unwinding the plot; the tension is effectively built, and we desire an enthralling outcome, but it never materialises. Instead a hushed, talky resolution takes it place, and the mid-section of the film seems to forget the whole thing. Dialogue is strangely convoluted too; take for instance "That thief witnessed a murder!" - yes, we know. Later: "Just another open and shut case"...ah, but we know better! Dramatic irony, and all that. Eastwood uses it again and again; "It's not as though he has any evidence" is a line designed so we can shout at the screen "but he does, he does!!!". For a director of Eastwood's calibre, this seems strangely amateur. Several scenes are repetitive and monotonous too, as though no-one could think of anything better to take up time with, and I struggled to believe the president of the most powerful country in the world would have such inept, 'looney-tunes' style bodyguards. The film boasts a great cast and, despite being over-long and lacking in any subtelty, works as an intriguing political thriller. But with such a masterful director, and what can easily be a taut, refreshing plot, it's just not half as intriguing as it ought to be.
iLeo
iLeo

January 21, 2008
Great movie!
sbzibziak
January 9, 2014
Not bad. Clint Eastwood movies you can never go wrong. Well writeen story but I felt that it could have been a bit more powerful.
sage8595
March 16, 2013
I'm so used to Clint portraying a hero in all of his movies that I wouldn't know what to expect when he's somewhat of a villain. But in Absolute Power we get a different side of his heroics. The film boasts a strong inviting story, surrounded by great mystery and suspense that will keep you guessing. With the all-star cast, this film has yet to fail any of my expectations. The climax could have been better but for what it was it offered plenty of exciting thrills to the table.