Absolute Power - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Absolute Power Reviews

½ December 13, 2017
This 19th addition to the catalog of Clint-Eastwood-directed features starts out the gate with a wallop of an inciting incident, furthers itself with a nowhere-near-as-effective, yet still understandable first act turning point, plods along throughout its second act, and finally fizzles out during a woefully anti-climactic finish. Indeed, "Absolute Power" may boast the impressive likes of Eastwood in the director's chair and the eminently great William Goldman behind the typewriter, but what comes of all that is just a fairly pedestrian thriller with a couple cool moments to it.
½ December 3, 2017
Man I guess Clint Eastwood doesn't always make gems! This one was just not my cup of tea. It starts out intriguing, but then damn does it have possibly one of the most anti-climatic endings I've ever watched before. Based on the novel by David Baldacci, Clint Eastwood stars as Luther Whitney a life long thief that's doing one last job. One night while stealing some jewelry from a wealthy home Luther witnesses a lady and another man about to go do the dirty. Something turns South and the Secret Service bust in killing the woman. The man is no other than the POTUS! President Richmond (Gene Hackman) has the scene covered up since he shouldn't be there to begin with and the lady is the wife of one of his biggest supporters. Luther escapes the Secret Service and happens to grab a knife that has the President's prints on them and the ladies. Soon enough Luther goes into hiding, but has the Secret Service on his tale and also a detective by the name of Seth Frank (Ed Harris). Mix this all in with a subplot involving Luther's estranged daughter Kate (Laura Linney) and we have here a mid-90's slow burn. That's not entirely true because we do get about two sequences where there's some over the top action, but overall this one has a pretty slow pace. Hell we don't even see the murder of the lady until about 30 minutes into the movie! Eastwood isn't bad here, but we don't exactly know too much about him. Hackman is good as always, but we don't see enough of him. There's a lot to desire here and it could have been done, but there's really no twist to anything and it's all very linear. The ending also comes so abrupt that I thought I had maybe dozed off and missed something. Nope it just kinda wraps itself up to the point where I felt a bit cheated. Overall, another Eastwood directed film you can probably skip!
October 31, 2017
A favourite for me, with Clint, Linney. Ed Harris, Hackman and Scott Glenn. Short & Sweet Mystery Thriller.
½ April 15, 2017
The beginning of the story was excellent, but the longer the film went on the more convoluted it got. Still a nice addition among Eastwood's collection, but not among his best
½ February 26, 2017
Even Clint Eastwood couldn't save this rambling plot with a tepid ending. The lameness of the climax does no favours to the already clunkily stretched suspense, including deux et machina sets and inexplicable screenplay (lucky reflection off a glass window, really?)

Worst Eastwood movie ever.
January 14, 2017
One of the many great movies with Clint Eastwood , Suspence for sure ! SOMVIDEO
½ December 16, 2016
although the story is well-written and the movie is well done, I don't feel as though there is a climatic moment of relief. this movie has a great cast and great acting with great directing and a decent script as well as good character build.
June 22, 2016
A great film! Clint does an amazing job both in front of and behind the camera in this one. A stellar cast is assembled and does David Baldacci's book (that the film is derived from) justice. Story is a career thief (Eastwood) witnesses a horrific crime during a heist involving the US President (Hackman). This one just has to be seen.
½ September 19, 2015
9/19/2015: An ok movie with a great cast. Once the conflict was recognized, there were not many shocking or interesting developments. I wouldn't watch more than once.
May 3, 2015
Paint by numbers thriller that has some iconic actors doing very little....but it's still got Eastwood.
½ February 20, 2015
This is a compelling story, with a great cast. Clint Eastwood is awesome. Gene Hackman is as bombastic as ever. Ed Harris, Scott Glenn and Laura Linney are fantastic. Penny Johnson, Dennis Haysbert, Richard Jenkins and Melora Hardin give great performances. This is a great film adaptation. If this is what a David Baldacci book is like, I need to read more Baldacci!
½ February 13, 2015
While a well made film and showcases many stars, its hard to believe Eastwood would be able to escape and appear in so many ways successfully.
Directed and starred in by Eastwood. Great for fans of of the cast and Eastwood fans should like it as well.
October 10, 2014
Nice, on of the best clint movies.
½ September 21, 2014
Guys, why so many negative reviews here? It is not a masterpiece but it is a nice paced with very beautiful scene and shots Eastwood movie. Give it a go!
June 25, 2014
Clint is at his best as he tries to save his family and do the right thing. A great story is finely acted
½ June 18, 2014
Clint Eastwood dirige y protagoniza una cinta mediocre con un na premisa irrisoria: El presidente de los Estados Unidos (Gene Hackman) mata a una mujer y un ladrón (Eastwood) es testigo del crimen. "Absolute Power" puede funcionar como basura disfrutable, pero no como un buen trabajo de Eastwood como director.
½ April 24, 2014
A murder drama involving the president of the United States. It's starts out ok, then moves at a snails pace! Maybe worth watching once.
½ April 22, 2014
Standard airport thriller. A minor film for Eastwood
April 5, 2014
Director Eastwood seems to have a knack for choosing well-scripted subject matter that grabs your interest and runs with it. This thriller starts with a tryst that quickly gets out of control and funnels into a government cover-up that is poorly executed. Wonderful performances from a high-powered cast and Eastwood's ability to tell a good tale through the lens make this an enjoyable couple of hours.
April 4, 2014
This political thriller disappoints in having a too slow pace, characters with insufficient depth and a resolution too improbably convenient. Ultimately, much of the tension and narrative drive that existed in the novel of the same name does not translate to screen.