The Accidental Tourist Reviews

• Jun 06, 2020

Stays high up in my list of favourite films

Stays high up in my list of favourite films

• May 06, 2020

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. A movie that captures grief so well and the process of life after death. It also develops its characters genuinely and discusses real-life marital/relationship woes. Def one that pulls at the heart strings and if you don't cry u don't have a heart. Love its quirky humor, Geena Davis was so lovable. At times, it was a lil unbelievable that she was so into him after the way he treated her; but he found a gem. I just loved the messages n wisdom. I never knew exactly where the movie was headed and felt really lost in the film-which is a rare great thing. But by the end instead of being like yea right, I was both pleasantly surprised and like yup that makes sense after all. A good one.

• Sep 12, 2019

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to find a film that you just like. I had that feeling with this film as it wasn't afraid to tell it's story in it's own time and blended quirky eccentricities with harsh realities. Seeing life reflected through this lens made me feel happy as the sweetness of certain moments and pain of others was something that I could identify with more than the average film. Entertainment like this is so rare now as all romantic comedies feel heavily contrived as they strain for politically correct humor and characters who feel like cardboard cutouts instead of anything even vaguely resembling a real human being. While it may not be as well remembered or emotionally manipulative as Rain Man (1988) I believe this should have won Best Picture in 1988. Depressed travel writer Macon Leary, William Hurt, has always been emotionally repressed and has struggled to support his wife Sarah, Kathleen Turner, after the death of their young son. They separate at her urging and he moves back in with his tight knit siblings after breaking his leg while being pursued by an aggressive dog trainer, Muriel Pritchett, Geena Davis. He eventually begins a relationship with Pritchett and bonds with her son at the same time as his sister Rose, Amy Wright, starts dating his publisher Julian, Bill Pullman. Rose and Julian marry while Leary remains unwilling to commit to Pritchett despite her best efforts. He returns to Sarah when she offers the chance of reconciliation but finds that life is empty without Pritchett and after she follows him to Paris and he rebuffs her he is able to realize that he needs her in his life. The film is not one that needs to be projected in a theatre to be enjoyed as it is a cozy little film that is better enjoyed by a person sitting at home on a Saturday afternoon looking to find out about the lives of a group of flaky but charming individuals. Here we meet a woman who has spent her entire life catering to the needs of her brothers and who needs to feel that she is of use to continue her relationship with a person. Therefore her husband must set up her up as his secretary in order to continuing seeing her. This is just one of many delightful conclusions drawn from the film as we see a woman who is significantly flawed find happiness through compromise. No, she hasn't been forced to analyze why she follows this potentially destructive path or been lectured by our main character on how she needs to change, her husband loves her enough to put up with her faults. The humor of the film is also unique as Hurt reads out passages from the travelogues his character has written in a disaffected tone and sounds simply ridiculous. We recognize how cruelly this man treats himself as he prevents himself from really interacting with other people and fears anybody getting in. That is why Pritchett is such a bright splash of color then as she is unafraid to break down his walls and shamelessly, and rather incompetently, flirts with him to his annoyance or to his complete confusion. When this small but fearless woman chases him for his phone number or reminds him that he owes her four cents we are reminded of the fact that despite this man's son having been shot his life is still filled with quite a few humorous moments, as are many lives touched by tragedy. These occasions of comedy are what allows him to keep going as this fiercely determined woman, unafraid of being judged for her clumsy attempts at seduction, pulls him back from the edge and makes his life worth living again. Love is so hard to represent on film as it is usually so many little moments that add up to two people really falling in love but in this film we see two people who absolutely need one another to go on being happy. Smartly, Kasdan cuts from Pritchett and Leary's first time sleeping with one another to them jumping wholeheartedly into a relationship which Leary isn't quite ready for yet. There is no conversation at this point where she tells him she doesn't want to get hurt and he tells her he can only give her so much of himself. He makes a selfish decision and it is only later that he realizes how much this woman brought into his life and how great it feels to just be with her.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jan 21, 2019

I wanted to like this more. I could never sympathize with or like the Geena Davis character. She plays it with the intonations of Shelley Duvall in Three Women, and that is NOT a good thing. And why is she mean and rough walking the dog? And why do you have to ‘cluck’ with the dog? Can’t you just say ‘Good Boy!’. I kept thinking the kookiness would become lovable, but instead it just grates and grates. Still, I don’t begrudge her an Oscar because she is at least playing a 3 dimensional character, unlike so many famous Oscar wins.

• May 07, 2017

Wonderfully directed and acted of course, but what makes this movie tick is the amazing, sweeping score by The Legendary John Williams.

• Sep 06, 2016

It meanders a bit, but "The Accidental Tourist" is a sweet drama about love and overcoming grief.

• Jul 09, 2016

This is a faithful adaptation of the novel by Anne Tyler. Is it a great movie? No, but it is charming and the casting was superb. It did affirm my thoughts about the book, though. One is much better off watching the movie than reading the book; the filmmakers harvested all the charming bits (the quirky Leary siblings and their invented game of Vaccination and pantry OCD), the training of the vicious corgi, Edward, and Muriel, as played by Geena Davis. It did manage to capture that Anne Tyler writes 30 somethings as 60 somethings. All in all, though, a pleasant watch.

• Apr 26, 2016

Simplistic yet endearing story of a love that blossoms between two lonely people. William Hurt is great as usual, and Geena Davis steal every scene she's in.

• Apr 18, 2016

A travel advisors life is interrupted after the tragic death of his son. His wife leaves and his son's dog so disobedient, a dogwalker is hired. This heartfelt drama takes a serious look at tragedy and life obstacles. Strong performances from an all star cast.