Aeon Flux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aeon Flux Reviews

½ July 18, 2017
Wow - sux hard. Dialogue is horrific. No character development and a very weak plot. Why should I care about ANY of these mumbling violent nitwits ? The huge moral dilemma is crashing a blimp through a wall - really ? Charlize is certainly lovely, but fails to duplicate or exceed the original character. I want my 90 minutes back.
½ July 17, 2017
Terrible action movie starring Charlize theron, I love Charlize theron and she's the only reason I watched this movie in the first place and now to see that she had a bad movie after winning an Oscar for monster, I was shocked. I was hyped for this movie and what a disappointment this movie is. I expected a lot more than action and Charlize theron, this movie had potential but they blew it. Terrible movie, would never see it again.
June 25, 2017
Amazing lines and visuals in the movie. Some of the most original visual shapes in any film. Well worth watching. Charlize lends her superb acting. This film was ahead of its time and had an ambitious goal.
June 18, 2017
I was really surprised when I saw the poor ratings for this movie I just watched it in 2017 and it was awesome.
June 13, 2017
If you go down deeply to the topic of the movie, you could also save it and give it something more. But then half of the time you see people balling on the scene like they are on a stage at the Scala theatre, and just this is enough to make Aeon Flux riddiculous.
May 24, 2017
Very bland action film.
½ May 19, 2017
In all honesty, this is very lightly influenced by the MTV adult cartoon series & uses the sames names. It might not have been so abysmal if they'd changed everyone's names & given the movie a different title. I don;t condone highly unfaithful adaptions of anything I grew up with. Not only did it not get any of the relationships these characters had with eachother right, not only are their personalities completely wrong, but Peter Chung, creator of the MTV adult animated series) essentially said he felt pissed on after seeing this. Lastly it took small parts of 3 or four unrelated events from a few episodes & squeezed them into a short film that didn't even have enough space for decent character development.
March 13, 2017
one of my favorite movies of all time.
February 24, 2017
In 2011, a deadly pathogenic virus has killed 99% of the Earth's population, forcing the survivors to regroup and scatter across the Earth. 404 years later, in late 2415, all of the survivors inhabit Bregna, a walled futuristic city-state, which is ruled by a congress of scientists. Although Bregna is largely an idyllic place in the destroyed Earth, people routinely disappear and the population suffers from nightmares. A skilled warrior, named Ĉon Flux (Charlize Theron), is a member of the Monicans, an underground rebel organization who communicate through telepathy-enabling technology and are led by the Handler (Frances McDormand). After a mission to destroy a surveillance station, Ĉon comes home to find her sister Una (Amelia Warner) has been mistaken for a Monican and killed. When Ĉon is sent on a mission to kill the government's leader, Trevor Goodchild (Marton Csokas), she discovers that both she and the Monicans are being manipulated by council members in a secret coup. Ĉon questions the origins of everyone in Bregna, and in particular, her personal connection to Trevor. Everyone in Bregna is revealed to be a clone, grown from recycled DNA. With the dead constantly being reborn as new individuals and bearing partial memories of their previous lives, their troubling dreams have increased. Cloning was required because the antidote to the virus made humans infertile. Trevor's ongoing experiments were attempts to reverse the infertility. His ancestors had also worked on this problem. Ĉon learns that she is a clone of the original Trevor's wife Katherine, and is the first "Katherine" clone in over 400 years. One of Trevor's experiments, Una, was successful: she had become pregnant. However, in order to stay in power, Trevor's brother, Oren Goodchild (Jonny Lee Miller), had her killed along with the other members of the experimental group. He ordered all of Trevor's research to be destroyed. In a confrontation with Trevor and Ĉon, Oren reveals that nature has corrected the infertility problem and that some women are becoming pregnant. Oren has had them all killed to maintain the Goodchild reign. Ĉon then goes against both her former allies, who want to kill Trevor, and Oren...

The critical reception was mainly negative. Rotten Tomatoes consensus stating "Aeon Flux lacks the gravity-defying pace of its animated predecessor, and, despite some flash, is largely a dull affair." Although Peter Chung was initially optimistic about the film and was impressed with the sets, he ultimately described it as "a travesty," adding: "I was unhappy when I read the script four years ago; seeing it projected larger than life in a crowded theatre made me feel helpless, humiliated, and sad. ...[The movie's creators] claim to love the original version; yet they do not extend that faith to their audience. No, they will soften it for the public, which isn't hip enough to appreciate the raw, pure, unadulterated source like they do." Chung primarily objected to the film's portrayal of Ĉon and Trevor, and their re-imagined history and relationship. He said, "Ms. Flux does not actually appear in the movie." Screenwriters Hay and Manfredi asserted in an interview that the film was re-cut by the studio prior to release. They said the original director's cut contains nearly 30 minutes of additional footage, which Chung acknowledged in his criticism.

It´s never a good sign when a filmstudio declines to testscreen a film for the press. That means the studio normally has a boxoffice bomb in their hands. And "Aeon Flux" is an example of just that. I have no insight into the animated series the movie was based on, but when reading other reviews the character was apparently quite different in the animated series compared to the film. In the animated series, Aeon Flux was an amoral rebel that was completely detached from everything and everyone. She was cruel, selfish, loving, unpredictable, witty, confident, sarcastic, lethal, untamable, ambiguous all at once. The original plot was ambiguous and thought provoking it seems. In the film Aeon Flux has clear political and personal motives. She is pretty, loving, vulnerable, tamable, emotional and predictable. The plot obvious and more contrived. There´s a nice futuristic visual and stylistic approach in the film that shows you that the intentions were there, but with the stiff and theatrical conceptual end result it falls a bit flat. "Aeon Flux" takes itself too seriously in a way and at the same time there´s this unintentional (so it feels) humour that makes everything feels a bit off. The film is as well edited in a jumpy way which creates a disorientated piece of film. Charlize Theron is not at her best and I reckon she tried to make it work, but the production team didn´t manage to balance it with what they had going. However, many of the final problems might be based in the fact that according to director Karyn Kusama, after finishing the movie, the studio fired her, re-cut the movie to a 71 minute long version which tested poorly and then asked her to edit the film again, but not back to her original vision. Huge parts of the plot were left out and even one character's sexuality of being gay was cut out by the studio. Maybe if I get to see Kusama´s original version I might change my mind about this film. Who knows.
½ December 26, 2016
The movie is all style- no entertainment. The story is dull and slow, with bland action and a boring lead. A missed opportunity to create something unique, but the movie was basically copying others that came before it anyway.
½ November 20, 2016
This is not one of those movies that you watch to see amazing acting. If anything all the acting is mono tone. You watch this movie because you want to be a part of the regime that's against big brother! You want to overthrow the government. You want to make a difference in the world and change it for the better! I love the style, The fighting and the overall cause. Definitely a cool stylistic movie.
November 10, 2016
i thought it was a pretty good movie
½ October 4, 2016
Gotta license to a cool anime and drove it off a cliff
August 21, 2016
Really liked it very different
August 16, 2016
This sci-fi thriller wasn't entirely bad...I was actually expecting far worse. Good acting from Charlize Theron though...but I understand why it bombed at the Box Office.
July 21, 2016
While the film failed to live up to the lofty standard set by the short-lived animated MTV series, I applaud this fresh take on a cult classic. I give high marks for visual appeal as the cinematics, and design were aesthetically pleasing. From the leads to supporting roles nearly all performances spot on.
July 17, 2016
A regretful watch. Entirely forgettable.
June 4, 2016
An uninteresting plot broken up by uninteresting action sequences.
March 22, 2016
I love the concept of it.