Agora Reviews

• Oct 29, 2019

That movie was so touching and interesting for me. it did really thrill me. Rachel Weisz was amazing in this movie. Cinematography was really good. The movie rearly bored me but it's not that much of a problem for me. Even tho it's based on a true story that makes it more interesting.

• Oct 08, 2019

Excellent. I love it.

Excellent. I love it.

• Aug 31, 2019

No words. Simply no words to describe the beauty of this movie. This should be shown to every child growing up. It beautifully contrasts people who look down at their feet and people who look up at everything else. The ending is inhuman. No other film has made me feel what I felt at the ending of this movie.

• Aug 18, 2019

An ambitious and profound film, worth watching and rewatching. Layered.

An ambitious and profound film, worth watching and rewatching. Layered.

• Aug 11, 2019

Agora is a histocial fiction film that looks at a dark moment in history and dares to give audiences a glimpse of one of the faults of early Christianity through the eyes of Hypatia. The destruction of the Great Library in the Christian purge of pagan religions is portrayed as the tragedy it was. For audiences, the film may not be taken well, as its ending is a downer and Christianity's trubulent birth will rub many of the faithful the wrong way. Yet this historical drama does breathe with truths that are worth witnessing and listening to, and I appreciate how it displays this darker moment of a faith that is seen as the light if humanity for so many. See it once, if you will, and try to not judge it too harshly for reasons born of bias. Three and a half stars for a thought-provoking film.

• Jun 27, 2019

Probably one of the greatest historical fiction feminist movies I've ever seen. Bawled like a baby when I saw this movie. It is seriously underrated, perhaps coming out before its time, perhaps we needed it to come out during/after the #metoo movement. HOW SEXIST that the "MOVIE INFO" that ROTTENTOMATOES has listed portrays this as a movie that is starring a man rather than the ACTUAL STAR HYPATIA played by Rachel Weisz, shown in the damn movie poster above. Just proves to me that this website is full of misogynists and no actual movie lovers. Here is the real plot: Agora is a 2009 Spanish English-language historical drama film directed by Alejandro Amenábar and written by Amenábar and Mateo Gil. The biopic stars Rachel Weisz as Hypatia, a female mathematician, philosopher and astronomer in late 4th-century Roman Egypt, who investigates the flaws of the geocentric Ptolemaic system and the heliocentric model that challenges it. Surrounded by religious turmoil and social unrest, Hypatia struggles to save the knowledge of classical antiquity from destruction. Minghella co-stars as Davus, Hypatia's father's slave, and Isaac as Hypatia's student, and later prefect of Alexandria, Orestes.

• Feb 17, 2019

Terribly boring, historically inaccurate (Christians burn of the "Great Library of Alexandria" and Hypatia's irreligiosity), and ... ill served story.

• Oct 08, 2018

I really don't see how this movie has been rated so low. It is a great historical film. It covers a period of time that is rarely portrayed on film and it is the only interpretation of the life of Hypatia. The costumes are great and they do a great job with the set

• May 22, 2018

What a great movie! Rachel Weiss is absolutely fantastic (and what a gorgeous actress). Quite a shame to see how much civilization regressed, and how long it took us to rediscover some of the forgotten knowledge.

• May 22, 2017

now i knew why this movie was not so popular, it was so sad and depressing :( , and very sensitive to religious people, for many thousands of year religion had halted and hinder the progress of science, once again great performance from Rachel Weisz, she does not afraid of getting butt naked, such professionalism, :( , human existence was a tragedy and a curse to itselfs, this was a good movie for atheist, i love the set and cinematography it was all very well done, the explanatory, this is one rare hidden gem of a movie, it makes you think, it protrays struggle of beliefs, and shows how scary mindless religion was, everyone just believe the word of one man whom he altered freely such as the so called scripture, and so many millions of mindless sheeps and savages, this is why I am not so fond of religion matters. this movie should be called Hypatia not Agora