All Is True Reviews

• Jul 04, 2019

Visually gorgeous, as to be expected. Excellent performances, of course. Incredibly slow and overly sentimental, surprise!

• Patricia
    Jun 30, 2019

For Shakespeare-lovers, it’s a fresh look at the bard that kindles all the best memories of his work. For non-Shakespeare-lovers, it will personalize him in a way that makes him human. Either way, it’s a real gem—another win for Branagh!

• Lindsay
    Jun 26, 2019

This story takes place after Shakespeare quit writing and directing—literally after all the exciting parts of his life were over. Cue movie! Interesting information about this part of Shakespeare’s life, though. Moves at a pace fitting of the 1600s.

• Jun 24, 2019

"All Is True" (title take from the alternative title appended to the Shakespeare play "Henry VIII") is the sentimental imagined story of William Shakespeare retreating home to Stratford for retirement after a fire has burned his Globe Theatre to the band. While he struggles to reconnect with his daughters, the emotional core of the film is the legacy of son Hamlet's death during William's years away in London, which brings an unexpected pathos, given that is written by Ben Elton. Kenneth Branagh looks the part of the protagonist, but sounds like himself so much that it is difficult to embrace him wholeheartedly as the Bard. Similarly, Judi Dench and Ian McKellen offer solid support (even though the age-difference between Dench and Branaugh is noticeable beyond that of Anne and William).

• Jun 23, 2019

Excellent blending of fact and speculation; well done!

Excellent blending of fact and speculation; well done!

• Jun 23, 2019

Well written and acted, painfully slow paced.

Well written and acted, painfully slow paced.

• kc
    Jun 20, 2019

Too slow moving. I wasn't tired until it slowly started and went nowhere.

Too slow moving. I wasn't tired until it slowly started and went nowhere.

• Jun 20, 2019

In the final years of his life, Shakespeare returns home to belatedly mourn the death of his son, confront his sexism, and confess his love for the Earl of Wickenham, the object of his true affection and sonnets, which were never intended for public consumption. Loveless Puritanism gets a thrashing as well. How 21st century of him.

• Jun 20, 2019

One of the best movies I have seen in a long time! I laughed, I cried and I did get a glimpse into his life.

• Pierre
    Jun 18, 2019

Great acting as usual and a interesting story.

Great acting as usual and a interesting story.