Almost Famous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Almost Famous Reviews

June 6, 2017
One of my favorite movies. The characters, the music, the scenery really captures your full attention and keeps you enthralled throughout. Sadly I wasn't alive for the 70s or the age of rock and roll but I feel that this movie is a great representation of that time.
May 4, 2017
It's a tolerable movie, but I wasn't especially impressed. Cameron Crowe tries too hard and doesn't seem to fully understand entertainment as it pertains to film, but his passion for music is respectable. (First and only full viewing - Late teen years)
April 3, 2017
"I'm the lead singer. You're the guitarist with mystique." Love that intend to sum up the inter-band stress. The kid had just the right mix of sweetness and intelligence. Frances McDormand - terrific.
March 17, 2017
Grade - A
Funny, heartfelt, but most of all realistic, 'Almost Famous' marks a career best for Cameron Crowe, who gives us an emotionally resonant story about love, friendship, and music.
March 16, 2017
A coming-of-age movie that takes you back to when music was more than just music, it was a lifestyle & for some groups practically a way of life. It's well before my time but is still pretty engrossing with some stellar acting from a relatively young cast (Kate Hudson looks barely 18!). Funny & heartfelt, it's an old-school road trip worth taking.
March 13, 2017
One of the great movies about those with real (vs. peripheral ) love for music.
January 17, 2017
Kate Hudson is sublime as the teen 'Band Aid' used and discarded by a middling rock guitarist on his way up the charts. Everyone else is meh, as the entire picture seems a TV-safe, romantic depiction of the drug & sex-addled "last grope of rock n roll".

Oh, and Jason Lee looks SO MUCH like Ryan Reynolds, it's freaking distracting.
January 6, 2017
Too long, didn't really get anything out of it.
December 30, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Patrick Fugit is powerful and draws in sensitivity & empathy as William. You begin to care about & for him & his ensuing journalism career. Furthermore, Billy Crudup & Jason London are beautiful & each deliver strong performances!
October 30, 2016
Wonderful coming-of-age movie about a San Diego boy landing his dream job as a music journalist with Rolling Stone.
½ October 24, 2016
It's hard to say why this movie works. Not only does it have strong and incredibly memorable performances from everyone in it, but the story just has that "IT" that you just can't put into words. It's a rock and roll coming of age on the road story with a killer soundtrack that works on every level and finds a way to somehow relate to everyone seeing it. I love this movie and watch it regularly. Stillwater has to be one of the coolest "made for movie" bands ever.
Shane Sackman
½ October 10, 2016
It is difficult to pinpoint exactly why this movie works so well, an excellent blend of drama, romance and crisp believable dialogue. The cast is deep and deliver strong performances. A captivating look into rock-and-roll circa 1970. The film is not really about any one particular theme be it young love, discovery or friendship. It is really more of a trip, a road trip, discovering and probing all of these things and more. I like to think of it as a look into the nature of basic human relationships (in their many forms) tested by the turmoil of sex, drugs and rock-and-roll. Sometimes people do noble things, sometimes selfish thing, but always believable things.

All of these elements create a very warm film that is surprisingly human in its approach. The sound track is also very strong and paired well with each scene. One scene was particularly memorable: a simple sing-a-long on a bus against the back drop of a classic song. Most people have at least one strong memory of this simple true Americana pleasure from their childhood and this scene taps into that emotion.

This was, in my humble opinion, Cameron Crowe's last really strong movie after a number of hits (including Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything and Singles). These movies all share a common bond in that they were crafted with care, attention and a sharp eye for detail creating engrossing time capsules of these time periods (or places) and the social relationships of the characters.

My small critique of this film, and most of Crowe's work, is that he can be heavy handed with the sitcom one-liners. While some of these lines pay off really well, others are a bit jarring.
½ October 10, 2016
Full of life and soul, not to mention funny; "Almost Famous" is a coming-of-age story that tells us the values of friendship and love. The characters were perfectly casted and the writing was superb and well-thought out. It's funny and relatable. We're literally stepping into the shoes of a writer as he travel across the country with a couple of rock stars. Enjoy the ride!
October 4, 2016
Fun tribute to classic rock
September 28, 2016
A simply wonderful movie! Who could have imagined that a relatively unknown Kate Hudson would carry this film? Her "Penny Lane" is the heart of the breathless love story trying desperately - albeit unsuccessfully - to emerge from the crazy reality of a rock band on the road. Simply a great movie that pushes all of your emotional buttons.
September 26, 2016
Excellent movie, with fab music, and an engaging storyline in this semi-autobiographical film from the director himself.
½ September 6, 2016
I can't believe it took my so long to see this gem all the way through. I feel like just about anyone can relate to someone in this movie.
½ September 2, 2016
Honestly, I'm kinda having a hard time putting my feelings for this movie into words. The main character was extremely likeable because he reminded me a lot like myself. I'm not too sure why. Maybe the way he acts in certain situations is similar to me. Who knows. Basically a story about a boy getting to go on a road trip with a rock band. Along the way he goes to parties, concerts, and gets tangled up in a love triangle between the main guitarist and a super fan played by Kate Hudson. I saw this film once about a year ago and just liked it. Seeing it again, I really enjoyed it. I had a smile on my face the whole way through. I used to think Kate Hudson's role wasn't realistic, but after a whole new year of living and experiences, I can say that I've met this type of person before. Living life without anything taken seriously and always living your dreams. Sometimes I wish I was like that. Drop everything and move to another part of the world. Someday maybe, who knows. Overall, see this movie. I don't think you'll regret it at all!
August 21, 2016
A refreshing take on a film about rock and roll that doesn't make you want to smash up a guitar by the end. Almost Famous makes you think, laugh and cry. Its a excellent portrayal of real life rock and roll bands in the early 70s. A must watch for any movie fan.