Almost Famous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Almost Famous Reviews

November 4, 2018
Very nostalgic for this 70's girl.who was from San Diego and went to a few rock concerts at the San Diego Sports arena. Favorite seen is Tiny Dancer! Even though the Eagles weren't portrayed in the movie, it was based on them and I was a big fan, saw them in SD!
October 6, 2018
A phenomenal movie. Keeps you smiling.
September 24, 2018
A must see for movie goes and music lovers alike.
September 17, 2018
taps to the beat..

Almost Famous

Almost Famous is a character driven drama about an interviewer going on a run with a band to write an article on the Rolling Stone magazine. As much as unique the concept is, it equally is simple and sensible that breeds valuable opinions from each three dimensional characters of it.

Crowe's world in here believes to live in present and enjoy each tiny moments which offers the audience an adequate soothing closure in each frame; it's just a "good" story is what it is. Even the weaving of the structure that occurs in front of the audience in its initial stages, is breathtaking with monologues, debates and "teenage fun" bits that makes it slick.

The songs are uplifting, the backyard score is decently scored, the cinematography is mesmerizing with fine editing and stunning camera work and visuals with live locations that foliates it into the anticipated musical cinematic experience. Hudson is surprisingly good with Crudup and Lane going head to head offering the appropriate crisp to their track and McDormand as always offering the gravitas and keeps this fairy tale grounded.

Crowe's narration is far better than we usually get in such band musicals and the primary reason to that is that it is perfectly balanced, it never is too light nor dark, he is well aware of his audience and he can filter them out with maturity itself. His execution is definitely worth the script he wrote, in fact if anything it celebrates it with an extravaganza for life where each emotional conflict is respected equally with a subtle tone. The behind the stage preparations and conversations that a star goes through, the originality and innocence of the concept and Crowe oozing his presence behind all of it are the high points of the feature.

Almost Famous is pure art that both lyrically rhymes and taps to the beat and eventually make you too.
August 7, 2018
My absolute favourite music movie
½ July 19, 2018
This movie works because its not about cameron crowe but about those times and all the great music.
July 7, 2018
A truly precious story of growing up, fitting in, and finding yourself. Every aspect of this film really perfects it.
June 29, 2018
Almost Famous just doesn't quite hit the familiar coming of age comfort accomplished by comparable movies.
June 1, 2018
There is a sense of coming home whenever I watch this movie. It has a great message, a great soundtrack, and a cast that makes you believe each character was wrote with them in mind.
½ April 7, 2018
Interesting perspective, but not well told. Kate Hudson can't act, sad but true.
April 5, 2018
Absolutely one of the greatest films of the 2000'S and Cameron Crowe at his best telling a story that is partly his own experiences as a teenager. This story captures perfectly captures the decade as well as the coming age story of its subject with heartwarming yet genuine sentiment. You also can't talk about this film without its stellar cast especially Kate Hudson's heartbreaking portrayal Penny Lane and Frances McDormand's portrayal of the conflicted Elaine Miller. In fact, in regards to the mom I felt the mom perfectly capture the complicated relationships mothers have with their children that made me think of my own mom with my older sister and I. Finally, I have to commend the film on its hilarious quotability along with its production design and costumes that perfectly emulate the era. Overall, an absolutely phenomenal film that is shining example of when a writer-director has so much of an emotional connection to the film that he pours his entire heart and soul into its perfection.
½ March 28, 2018
Wonderfully warm, engaging and nostalgic coming-of-age drama

The early 1970s. William Miller is 15-years old and an aspiring rock journalist. He gets a job writing for Rolling Stone magazine. His first assignment: tour with the band Stillwater and write about the experience. Miller will get to see what goes on behind the scenes in a famous band, including the moments when things fall apart. Moreover, for him it will be a period of new experiences and finding himself.

Wonderfully warm and engaging drama from writer-director Cameron Crowe. The movie is essentially a biography of Crowe's teenage years, with a few names and bands changed, and you can feel the personal investment he has in the movie.

Quite nostalgic too, as you think about how great it was as a teenager, discovering and experiencing new things.

Has the other Cameron Crowe hallmark: a fantastic soundtrack (well, he was a rock journalist, remember...). Stillwater may be a fictitious band but the music is genuine.

Cameron Crowe won the 2001 Best Original Screenplay Oscar for his efforts.
½ March 23, 2018
First things first, I accidentally watched the Director's Cut of the film which is 162 minutes long (40 minutes longer than the released film, which I haven't seen). I'm not certain whether the extra time benefits the film or reduces its quality. There were a few places where things felt long or indulgent. But, of course, the whole premise is pretty indulgent - this is the story of Cameron Crowe's experience as a teen journalist for Rolling Stone touring with The Allman Brothers (here replaced by a fictional band, Stillwater, starring Billy Crudup and Jason Lee). Crowe wrote and directed the film and gives himself a pretty glorified part. Moreover, taking place in the early 1970s, the action onscreen is also indulgent, in that there is lots of drinking and drug use (although this is mostly implied because the film seems somehow to be aiming for family friendly, despite the debauchery). Which brings me to the question of whether this film feels "right" in the era of #MeToo. In fact, it doesn't. Kate Hudson is the groupie with the heart of gold and, although the film acknowledges that she is treated badly by the band, it doesn't really make any effort to condemn that treatment, at least not strenuously. Instead, it is nostalgic good times all the way and the rockin' soundtrack doesn't hurt that sentiment one bit. Crowe spends his time trying to depict the emotional journey of the hero (himself, played wide-eyed by Patrick Fugit) and he does manage to capture wistful naivete pretty well (a la your typical coming-of-age story), including a delayed coda that makes it all right. A few scenes do suggest that the film could have verged into Spinal Tap territory, but it doesn't (too bad). However, this may be the only fiction film to ever have someone play Lester Bangs (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and that's worth the price of admission on its own.
March 21, 2018
coming-of-age + rock = un-dislikable
March 12, 2018
Great movie, and great soundtrack! One of my all time favorites.
March 4, 2018
One of my favorite movies of all time. No idea why, but I love it! Saw it when I was like 15 and never forgot it. Love how they made their own songs just for the movie, but pretend like they're real. A classic! Cast is incredible, especially Hoffman and Hudson, but the rest just as much.
½ March 3, 2018
Crowe manages to make a deeply nostalgic and personal film universally relatable and entertaining. One of the greatest music-centric films ever made.
December 24, 2017
Crowe took on "That Thing You Do" into a rising wonder towards stardom from a young journalist/fan's viewpoint and supportive efforts with pretty much the same charms from "Jerry Maguire" being set in the setting period as a meaningful glimpse to the past's musical subject while putting a relevant argument for today's journalists. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
November 24, 2017
Full of great music and situations.
Shane Sackman
½ November 21, 2017
It is difficult to pinpoint exactly why this movie works so well, an excellent blend of drama, romance and crisp believable dialogue. The cast is deep and deliver strong performances. A captivating look into rock-and-roll circa 1970. The film is not really about any one particular theme be it young love, discovery or friendship. It is really more of a trip, a road trip, discovering and probing all of these things and more. I like to think of it as a look into the nature of basic human relationships (in their many forms) tested by the turmoil of sex, drugs and rock-and-roll. Sometimes people do noble things, sometimes selfish thing, but always believable things.

All of these elements create a very warm film that is surprisingly human in its approach. The sound track is also very strong and paired well with each scene. One scene was particularly memorable: a simple sing-a-long on a bus against the back drop of a classic song. Most people have at least one strong memory of this simple true Americana pleasure from their childhood, and this scene taps into that emotion.

This was, in my humble opinion, Cameron Crowe's last really strong movie after a number of hits (including Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything and Singles). These movies all share a common bond in that they were crafted with care, attention and a sharp eye for detail creating engrossing time capsules of these time periods (or places) and the social relationships of the characters.

My small critique of this film, and most of Crowe's work, is that he can be heavy handed with the sitcom one-liners. While some of these lines pay off really well, others are a bit jarring.