Altered States Reviews

• Oct 09, 2020

Wild, weird and impossible to get through without thinking about if/how many times Joe Rogan's watched it, Ken Russell's "Altered States" hurls the classic "mad scientist" horror formula down the rabbit hole of psychedelic drugs, churning it all together with some truly impressive visual effects, evocative imagery and appropriately frenetic editing. There's another genre element in play here that I won't spoil, but once you realize the filmmakers at hand are serious about its implementation, it makes for quite the provocative development. It's not a profoundly satisfying watch on the whole, with the film's ending leaving more questions (and not the right ones) than answers, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a whacky, trippy, less character-focused stimulation of the senses.

• Sep 20, 2020

While not always consistent, Altered States is a visually dazzling and creepy sci-fi horror movie that reminds me of a cross between a John Carpenter and David Cronenberg movie that has a decent feature debut for William Hurt, impressive cinematography, and nightmarish surreal imagery.

• Sep 12, 2020

Not only is this sadly reflective of the self-absorbed incompetent man that made it, its a disappointing take on psychedelic research and mystical science. If you're looking to be uncomfortable, fell dumber, and waste your time, be sure to watch this film.

• Sep 01, 2020

Some of it's aspects are rushed,(like the deliverance of the dialogue), but all is forgiven for it's visually dazzling display and depth. A mesmerizing examination of the relationship between consciousness, religiosity, and the collective knowledge of our accumulated past. Unconventional in almost every sense, spellbinding in deliverance.

• Aug 02, 2019

The film has a higher emphasis on telling rather than showing, but when it gets to the showing, it's truly and wonderfully bizarre.

• Jul 22, 2019

A known trip and sort of an cult film. William Hurt as Harvard scientist Eddie Jessup is experimenting with a hallucinatory drug that is beyond everything the world has seen so far. He and his crew is working on it for weeks, but the real thing here is that Eddie is taking the drug himself while letting his co-workers surveillance him. His love for his girl, Emily is not shown often, but she does everything for this crazy man. These two mixture of stories makes a vivid film. It's filled with smart and sometimes funny dialogue. It's experimental and very well excecuted. The effects are great, even by todays standards and the music is amazing. Throw in great direction and solid performances and you have a film that is easy to ride along with. I got "Videodrome"-like vibes and this bizarre and semi scary film is as frightening as it is spectacular and interesting. It's not perfect by any means. It's slightly dragged, it demands a lot and it has a few flaws, but this is a pretty rewarding film if you dare to enter the universe it creates. 7 out of 10 black chambers.

• Jan 28, 2019

This is quite possibly the best movie in my attempt to watch movies that came out before I was born. I'm on the fence about Ken Russell and this is definitely his magnum opus. His use of very trippy visuals and a very interesting concept take what probably would've been too slow in the wrong hands and makes it work.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best sci-fi movie ever made! With the best movie score ever composed!

The best sci-fi movie ever made! With the best movie score ever composed!

• Jan 01, 2019

ON SECOND WATCH: My final film of 2018, in hopes that a lot of things will take alternative turns this year: That my dissertation will finally come together enough for a coherent abstract statement, that the state of the nation will become more just and empathetic, that my desire for knowledge will lead me to new ideas, new art, new worlds, new states of being. Earlier in the dayï¿ 1/2"unlike other "reviews" (or whatever the hell these notes to myself are), I suppose I won't talk about the movie as much as I will myself, this being a movie about ego and consciousness, after allï¿ 1/2"my wife and I had our first experience using sensory deprivation chambers, which was more my thing than hers. It wasn't quite the psychedelic, mythopoetic, hallucinatory phantasmagoria as the movie makes it out to be, but both open the psyche to itself in their own wonderful ways.

• Apr 23, 2018

Psychologist obsessed with altered states of consciousness in attempt to get to the true state of man. His mind ends up controlling his physical self and he ends up becoming a monkey at the end..