American Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Beauty Reviews

October 10, 2016
A brilliant masterpiece of a movie that offers a dry, blunt slice of life in a suburban neighborhood.
October 8, 2016
Kevin Spacey flat out astounds the audience. The first time drab behavior invigorated audiences like I have ever seen. Every cast member gives a show stopping performance without over shadowing any actor. Another rare feat. And the ending! dear Lord! Excellent!
October 6, 2016
For all it's darkness and barely hidden cynicism, American Beauty is, well, a beautiful film. It makes one appreciate life more and has an odd sense of optimism about it, and makes a filmmaker like myself never want to stop making movies.
½ October 4, 2016
I've cooled on it over the years but this film about a mans midlife crisis is still fun to watch.
October 3, 2016
"Es genial comprobar que todavŪa tienes la capacidad de sorprenderte a ti mismo."
Lester Burnham - Belleza americana (Sam Mťndes 1999)
½ September 26, 2016
American Beauty takes a whole new look at the American Dream. While I can agree that Kevin Spacey did an amazing job in his role as Lester Burnham, I think this film is grossly overrated. It makes its social and moral commentary much to overt for my enjoyment.

I also could not wrap my mind around the character Lester's arch. He goes from an average guy with a boring monotonous life to an anti-hero willing to engage in sexual activity with his daughter's best friend as well as blackmail his wife. It's not that this character arch was unbelievable, but more that it was unsatisfying. To me it was an attempt on the writer's part to make the film as edgy and biting as possible, while sacrificing the story line in the process.

Another point of discontent was the rose thread, which symbolized lust and passion. I felt it was too overt for the viewers. There is no element of this film that is difficult or trying to grasp; it is all very in your face, leaving nothing for the viewer to ponder as they leave the theater or walk away from the screen.

I did appreciate the methods used in the film that contributed to the cinematography as a whole. The use of the mundane sounding elevator tunes throughout the movie conveyed the boring nature of the average American life beautifully and was a marvelous thread that stayed consistent up until Lester was shot. The sameness conveyed early in the film by the sets matching the characters' outfits was also a choice I appreciated that further exemplified the theme of monotony.

Although some elements of the film did contribute to some enjoyable moments, overall I believe it was not as great a movie as others believe it to be due to overreaching on the writer's part to give it immense shock value, although it did convey an important social message in the end.
½ September 19, 2016
I saw American Beauty when I was younger and a little less savvy about movies, and at the time I hated it. Watching it again now, I still don't love it but I have a much greater appreciation of the artistry involved. The film looks stunning, and I think the writing is great. They do a good job of capturing what can happen when people become disillusioned with suburban life, and most of the relationships seem authentic. Kevin Spacey is great in the lead role, although his attraction to Mena Suvari needed more subtlety around his wife and daughter, because that felt exaggerated to an unrealistic level. Perhaps the biggest revelation watching it this time was Wes Bentley. His character is fascinating, and I love how complex the relationship was between him and his father. The movie is also a bit of a murder mystery, because Lester tells us in voice-over at the beginning that he is going to die. So we know, through the whole film, a murder is probably coming in the final act but they keep adding characters who might want to kill him. This kind of escalating mystery is something I greatly enjoy in movies. I have a slight emotional disconnect from the characters, so the movie doesn't affect me as strong as I would like. Also I feel the ending is a bit unsatisfying, almost as if they didn't know what to do after the main character was dead. But I appreciate the care that went into making American Beauty a quality film, and I recognize now why so many people love it.
September 15, 2016
Hauntingly beautiful. The ending was very surprising and will leave many in tears. However, the performance hits you hard as it is true for many and shows just how life can really be for most people.
September 15, 2016
The characters in this film are GREAT, the way the story starts to unfold is GREAT, and the questions it raises are GREAT. And Kevin Spacey was awesome in his role. One thing though...I kept hearing Stiffler's voice say "Choir chick" whenever Mena Suvari's character would come on the screen. LMAO!
September 13, 2016
My Favorite film of all time. Kevin Spacey is brilliant and this movie is so deep and moving.
September 10, 2016
Spacey is fantastic as always! Some might claim it's a bit over the top but it definitely gets its message across effectively.
½ August 31, 2016
A film that has the power to change the way one views the world - especially inside suburban America.
August 27, 2016
Muy Viena pel√≠cula, f√°cil de seguir, en especial porque los personajes son muy agradables, todos, todos los personajes tienen pensamientos diferentes y act√ļan diferente, buscan diferentes sentidos de la belleza, pero entend√≠ y me pude conectar de cierta forma, con todos ellos, lo mejor para mi fue c√≥mo me enga√Ī√≥, desde el principio de la pel√≠cula me estuve imaginando finales diferentes, porque siempre le daban la vuelta para que pensara algo diferente. Excelente pel√≠cula.
½ August 23, 2016
A little slow at times, American Beauty boasts an impressive storyline about a dysfunctional family that is highlighted with Kevin Spacey's comedic and dramatic performance plus an ending that will bring you to tears.
August 22, 2016
No camera lies. It's life as it is.
August 18, 2016
This film remains a beautiful and horrifying reflection of what we all are and could be.
August 6, 2016
No other movie affects me with such emotional profundity than this one - which, if there are any flaws, they are overcome to the sheer emotion this movie elicits.
August 1, 2016
What amazing performances by all the actors. I will remember this movie forever. You will hate Lester (Kevin Spacey) but you will love him too because he is just a normal human being. Ricky (Wes Bently) was a memorable character too. These two were my favorites. This movie took me through a whirlwind of emotions....hate, despair, sympathy, etc
July 22, 2016
Another well deserved Oscar winning performance from the incompatible Kevin Spacey. This movie is worth watching solely for how great and hilarious the first hour is and how dramatic and tense the second hour is.