American Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Beauty Reviews

August 21, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies because it is such a unique story. There are so many layers to this film and the ensemble is quite amazing. This movie is sad, funny, intriguing and much more than I expected. This is one of the best movies that I have seen. Ironically, there are many art forms that can be appreciated from within this film.
August 12, 2017
10 out of 10:

American Beauty offers a strange yet smart and complex story, that holds affecting performances, great score and direction, and a plot that's funny and tragic.
August 2, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made, an absolute masterpiece!
½ July 30, 2017
Would like to say it was worth the watch but alas it was neither poignant nor vaguely pleasurable. Fail to see where the (18) rating came from. Most of the characters storylines could be covered in full during a half hour teatime soap opera.
½ July 30, 2017
American Beauty is a fine film, with a well-written story allowing several different themes to come to the surface (imprisonment, sexuality, repression, beauty, life) and all do so effectively. A well-acted film with a brilliant soundtrack behind it, however its speed is a bit slow without having a major climax to help speed it up.
July 29, 2017
A perfect cast for a perfect film.
½ July 28, 2017
A masterpiece. Kevin Spacey embodies every emotion of a middle class citizen trying to break free from the normality of existence.
½ June 25, 2017
This 72nd Academy Award Winner is an amazing dark comedy-drama, I loved how all the characters have like their own mental problem... their own weakness. Perfect cast and 5 wins of 8 nominations at the Oscars... awesome! Beauty is found where it is least expected.
½ June 21, 2017
A very complex film that deals with the multiple themes of teenage angst, struggling marriages and the different relationships between parent and child. This movie will make you cry, laugh and cringe at the same due to its quirky and intelligent nature.
June 9, 2017
I was worried for the first twenty minutes. It started and I just couldn't grab hold of "American Beauty," as I thought the tone and performances were strangely indecisive. But, after those first twenty minutes, I caught on and I enjoyed myself the rest of the way through.

The performances were great overall, but I found Chris Cooper to be the standout in terms of realism, and Kevin Spacey to be the standout when it came to what character I had the most fun watching. I realize how confusing that probably sounds, and I don't want to discredit the rest of the cast's excellent work (I shouldn't forget to mention Annette Bening and Wes Bentley), but I'll just briefly explain that while I thought Chris Cooper's character felt like a very real person, Kevin Spacey had such a charisma that every line of dialogue had me smiling.

Visually, the film looks very much like every other late 90s dark comedy. The cinematography was good, but not especially unique. However, the famous rose pedal scenes and the use of frames within frames were incredibly eye-catching, and managed to still have substance with their style.

I appreciated the stylized editing, but it did become tedious in a few moments for me. There were just a couple shots that were repeated too many times. The majority of the actual just moment to moment, cut to cut editing was great though.

I can generally tell when a film will be better on my second viewing, and "American Beauty" felt like it would fall under than category. I really enjoyed it, and I imagine those first twenty minutes will be better now that I know what the overall tone is.
June 5, 2017
My God WHAT A FANTASTIC MOVIE !!!! American Beauty is wickedly funny, witty, tragic and of course BEAUTIFUL.. Sam Mendes did an amazing job. Kevin Spacey ? I think this will be his best performance in his entire life. This movie is a must see. A well deserved Oscar for best picture.
June 3, 2017
brilliant, tender, straight to the bone.
June 1, 2017
The wandering of the script allows us to know better the characters that are the soul of the film.
The movie purpose is the full understanding of happiness and emotional and personal fulfillment.
May 28, 2017
This is, in my opinion, one of the most overrated movies of all time.
May 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the twists turns and the character developments, I honestly think I wasn't mad at any of the characters
½ April 27, 2017
This was a pretty good movie after I actually got the whole way through it. It takes apart suburbia in a way that most films don't, actually defining deep and complex characters. Most of the cast is pretty spot on, there is a certain subtle humor to the film that can be appreciated.
April 22, 2017
Movie about a dysfunctional American family. The story is boring. But the acting and directing are superb. Some of it is hilarious. Some of it is really stereotypical and annoying. Good but not great.
April 9, 2017
Outstanding acting work from Kevin Spacey.
March 22, 2017
Absolutely loved this portrayal of life and it's insanity and all of our lack-luster attempts at finding purpose in everyday life.