American Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Beauty Reviews

½ June 25, 2017
This 72nd Academy Award Winner is an amazing dark comedy-drama, I loved how all the characters have like their own mental problem... their own weakness. Perfect cast and 5 wins of 8 nominations at the Oscars... awesome! Beauty is found where it is least expected.
½ June 21, 2017
A very complex film that deals with the multiple themes of teenage angst, struggling marriages and the different relationships between parent and child. This movie will make you cry, laugh and cringe at the same due to its quirky and intelligent nature.
June 9, 2017
I was worried for the first twenty minutes. It started and I just couldn't grab hold of "American Beauty," as I thought the tone and performances were strangely indecisive. But, after those first twenty minutes, I caught on and I enjoyed myself the rest of the way through.

The performances were great overall, but I found Chris Cooper to be the standout in terms of realism, and Kevin Spacey to be the standout when it came to what character I had the most fun watching. I realize how confusing that probably sounds, and I don't want to discredit the rest of the cast's excellent work (I shouldn't forget to mention Annette Bening and Wes Bentley), but I'll just briefly explain that while I thought Chris Cooper's character felt like a very real person, Kevin Spacey had such a charisma that every line of dialogue had me smiling.

Visually, the film looks very much like every other late 90s dark comedy. The cinematography was good, but not especially unique. However, the famous rose pedal scenes and the use of frames within frames were incredibly eye-catching, and managed to still have substance with their style.

I appreciated the stylized editing, but it did become tedious in a few moments for me. There were just a couple shots that were repeated too many times. The majority of the actual just moment to moment, cut to cut editing was great though.

I can generally tell when a film will be better on my second viewing, and "American Beauty" felt like it would fall under than category. I really enjoyed it, and I imagine those first twenty minutes will be better now that I know what the overall tone is.
June 5, 2017
My God WHAT A FANTASTIC MOVIE !!!! American Beauty is wickedly funny, witty, tragic and of course BEAUTIFUL.. Sam Mendes did an amazing job. Kevin Spacey ? I think this will be his best performance in his entire life. This movie is a must see. A well deserved Oscar for best picture.
June 3, 2017
brilliant, tender, straight to the bone.
June 1, 2017
The wandering of the script allows us to know better the characters that are the soul of the film.
The movie purpose is the full understanding of happiness and emotional and personal fulfillment.
May 28, 2017
This is, in my opinion, one of the most overrated movies of all time.
May 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the twists turns and the character developments, I honestly think I wasn't mad at any of the characters
½ April 27, 2017
This was a pretty good movie after I actually got the whole way through it. It takes apart suburbia in a way that most films don't, actually defining deep and complex characters. Most of the cast is pretty spot on, there is a certain subtle humor to the film that can be appreciated.
April 22, 2017
Movie about a dysfunctional American family. The story is boring. But the acting and directing are superb. Some of it is hilarious. Some of it is really stereotypical and annoying. Good but not great.
April 9, 2017
Outstanding acting work from Kevin Spacey.
March 22, 2017
Absolutely loved this portrayal of life and it's insanity and all of our lack-luster attempts at finding purpose in everyday life.
March 20, 2017
Oh this is boring - quirky and funny at times - but boring
March 15, 2017
Beautifully directed, brilliantly scripted, and perfectly acted, American Beauty is a masterpiece of affecting, intelligent drama that makes larger points about human nature and society.
March 15, 2017
Everything has beauty, but not everyone can see.
½ March 12, 2017
crazy and wild movie about a mid life crisis and a look into the time period this movie represents. Worth a watch and is a great movie to analyze
March 4, 2017
Like a classical version of Magnolia but less impressive in every way. One decent twist, another notsomuch. Kinda cheap when a large part of the drama relies on a wacky misunderstanding. I'M TALKING TO YOU TOO, SHAKESPEARE.
½ February 28, 2017
Devilishly good. It finds the perfect blend of dark comedy and disfuctional family drama.
February 22, 2017
Apparently Wes Bentley existed before American Horror Story.