Der Amerikanische Freund (The American Friend) Reviews

• Apr 07, 2019

its about a dying man who becomes a hired killer, weird how the movie is 1/2 in german

• May 27, 2018

I'm delighted, a Wim Wenders film is always a good treat, this time it is multiplied by a deadly combination of Bruno Ganz and Dennis Hopper by whom any film contributes a lot. From its pretty simple plot derives a complex thriller that edges with noir and even existential drama, which acquires new heights by outstanding performances all around. The soundtrack thinly underlines the movie's subtle weirdness, which it is hard to pinpoint in what exactly it manifests itself.

• Feb 17, 2018

A slow development that has a some intricate filming and staging that was truly artistic. 1001 movies to see before you die.

• Apr 14, 2017

Solid but standard thriller.

Solid but standard thriller.

• Nov 06, 2016

Wim Wenders creates an excellent film based on Patricia Highsmith's "Ripley's Game." Dennis Hopper plays Tom Ripley here and is quite good, but the film belongs to Bruno Ganz who is in one of my all-time favourite films "Wings of Desire", also directed by Wenders. This thriller is more about atmosphere than story, but that's okay as Wenders pulls it off. I was engaged throughout, even if at times I didn't fully understand what was happening. Definitely worth checking out!

• Oct 02, 2016

An excellent thriller with mesmerizing performances from Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz.

• Oct 02, 2016

Great thriller with extraordinary performances from Dennis Hopper and Bruno Ganz.

• Sep 03, 2016

Longwinded and some weak plot devices. Lost interest half way through.

Longwinded and some weak plot devices. Lost interest half way through.

• Jun 24, 2016

• May 30, 2016

The plot is simple when one takes a step back, but the humanity of the characters, and their occasionally conflicted interactions with one another, keeps the audience on its toes. Anything could happen next, but when the other shoe drops, it feels true.