American Psycho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Psycho Reviews

½ August 13, 2017
Its depth rests too heavily on its source material but American Psycho has an undeniable bevy of talented people both in front of and behind the camera to make for a wild, unnerving, darkly funny, and very entertaining viewing experience.
August 1, 2017
This movie is just so wonderful in so many ways. I love the fact that after you watch it, all you will want to do is watch it again and again.
½ July 28, 2017
A wealthy New York investment banking executive portrayed by the talented Christian Bale, hides his alternate psychopathic ego from his co-workers and friends as he delves deeper into his violent, hedonistic fantasies. His performance is truly convincing and crazy, he makes us hate the guy. But I hate the fact that the end is so ambiguous. I want answers! Everything happened in his imagination, right? Is he really that disturbed?
July 16, 2017
Somehow funny, 'American Psycho' is a captivating film with a questionable ending.
½ July 10, 2017
American Psycho blends sharp horror with edgy humor topped with a fantastic performance from Christian Bale
July 1, 2017
A well-made black comedy/horror movie with a disturbing performance from Christian Bale. This review has meant nothing.
½ June 27, 2017
American Psycho is a good movie. I thought some parts were scary, some parts funny, and some parts entertaining. Christian Bale gives a great performance. I wish it would be more scarier and funnier.

Bale plays Patrick Bateman, the son of a wealthy Wall Street financier, is pursing his own career with his father's firm. Bateman is addicted to success, firm, and style. He is also a serial killer who murders people without a reason. He then kills a man named Paul Allen (Jared Leto), who a man named Donald Kimble (William Dafoe) is staying on Bateman's trail so that Bateman's mask of studied distant cool begins to fall apart. American Psycho is a good movie.
June 3, 2017
"American Psycho" is a bit too brutal for its own best, but stylish nonetheless.
½ May 30, 2017
It's a gruesome psychological thriller. I didn't fully appreciate this film until a did some research into it and then understood the hype. As a stand alone film it may leave you a little confused as it did me. Seems like just some crazy killer film but has a lot of deeper themes that are explored.
May 18, 2017
Nonsensical murder has never been so exciting. "American Psycho" is hilarious. It's excellent as a satire, and Christian Bale is fantastic as Patrick Bateman, who is one of the most appallingly entertaining protagonists of all time. The supporting cast is wonderful as well. Nearly every line is quotable, and nearly every scene is iconic. It's a classic for good reasons, and one of my favorite movies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.
½ May 15, 2017
Sexy, funny, and disturbing.
May 10, 2017
After finishing the book I decided to give this a rewatch.

It was never going to be easy to adapt Bret Easton Ellis's novel as most of the shit that Bateman does in it wouldn't get pass the censors.

Mary Harron does a fine job of getting the mix of horror and comedy from page to screen.

Bale steals the film and IMO his best performance to date.

Bateman's love of shit music is brillantly used befor his sorid violent acts. The Huey Lewis & the News scene is one of the darkest pieces of comedy I have ever seen. So funny with Bale on fire.

Only complaints. Lack of reference of designer labels and it is a little short on running time.

It's hip to be square.
May 5, 2017
"I killed Paul Allen!"
½ May 2, 2017
This movie generally panders to the overplayed "psychopathic" tropes we are all used to. The plot in this movie leaves much to be desired. As you will likely come to one of two conclusions about the main character Patrick Bateman who is portrayed by Christian Bale: Bateman has lost his mind and none of the events -save for very few- actually took place, or all of these events actually occurred. The problem with this film is the fact that it does not convince you in either way and barely alludes to Bateman having gone insane. I concluded that he went insane and almost all of it is a fabrication in his own mind due to how ridiculous his crimes are. He kills practically six people in one night and manages to not get apprehended despite doing the bare minimum to conceal his identity. Not only that, but he goes to Paul Alan's apartment and does not bother wearing gloves, or better yet, drags a body in a sheet out into the apartment complex lobby. There are many other obvious (I won't mention the police cars blowing up after having been shot three times) inconsistencies that are were hopefully just made up in Patrick's brain. If on the other hand these fabrications were just details overlooked by the writers of the film, then truly, this is one to be forgotten.
April 30, 2017
Christian Bale was hilarious. The movie was just great. I'd watch it a million times.
April 24, 2017
Put on a show, Christian.
April 24, 2017
An underrated black comedy thriller classic, American Psycho will leave you breathless for hours after the haunting final line. It's subversive, it's allegorical, it's entertaining, and it offers Christian Bale's both complex, meticulous role.
½ April 22, 2017
I have to return some videotapes.
½ April 21, 2017
A quirky, memorable classic that will have you trying to one up your friends with quotes from the film.