American Psycho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Psycho Reviews

October 1, 2017
Satire at it's finest. This movie psychologically analyzes two very interesting things. The character of Patrick Bateman, and the society in which he lives in. The movie is entirely self-aware of it's over the top burlesque and yet still has scenes that will genuinely creep you out. It is, without a doubt, an under-appreciated masterpiece and Bale's finest performance to this day.
September 16, 2017
This is truly one of the most underrated movies of all time. Absolutely hilarious from start to finish, beautiful direction to showcase an amazing scripts true potential, the trick being that the director and actors understand the script well enough to bring out its full potential and they absolutely do. The editing in this movie stands out as a great piece of trickery and amusement but this movie may have only semi worked if it wasn't for Christian Bale delivering one of the best performances in cinematic history.
September 14, 2017
A corny slasher/comedy flick with hot actors of the time. It's alright - just didn't do much for me.
September 8, 2017
Very Creepy, Interesting, clever, somehow funny movie. The music just added too the creepiness. Bale definitely nailed his role!
September 4, 2017
I like Christian Bale In The Movie.
½ August 13, 2017
Its depth rests too heavily on its source material but American Psycho has an undeniable bevy of talented people both in front of and behind the camera to make for a wild, unnerving, darkly funny, and very entertaining viewing experience.
August 1, 2017
This movie is just so wonderful in so many ways. I love the fact that after you watch it, all you will want to do is watch it again and again.
½ July 28, 2017
A wealthy New York investment banking executive portrayed by the talented Christian Bale, hides his alternate psychopathic ego from his co-workers and friends as he delves deeper into his violent, hedonistic fantasies. His performance is truly convincing and crazy, he makes us hate the guy. But I hate the fact that the end is so ambiguous. I want answers! Everything happened in his imagination, right? Is he really that disturbed?
July 16, 2017
Somehow funny, 'American Psycho' is a captivating film with a questionable ending.
½ July 10, 2017
American Psycho blends sharp horror with edgy humor topped with a fantastic performance from Christian Bale
July 1, 2017
A well-made black comedy/horror movie with a disturbing performance from Christian Bale. This review has meant nothing.
½ June 27, 2017
American Psycho is a good movie. I thought some parts were scary, some parts funny, and some parts entertaining. Christian Bale gives a great performance. I wish it would be more scarier and funnier.

Bale plays Patrick Bateman, the son of a wealthy Wall Street financier, is pursing his own career with his father's firm. Bateman is addicted to success, firm, and style. He is also a serial killer who murders people without a reason. He then kills a man named Paul Allen (Jared Leto), who a man named Donald Kimble (William Dafoe) is staying on Bateman's trail so that Bateman's mask of studied distant cool begins to fall apart. American Psycho is a good movie.
June 3, 2017
"American Psycho" is a bit too brutal for its own best, but stylish nonetheless.
½ May 30, 2017
It's a gruesome psychological thriller. I didn't fully appreciate this film until a did some research into it and then understood the hype. As a stand alone film it may leave you a little confused as it did me. Seems like just some crazy killer film but has a lot of deeper themes that are explored.
May 18, 2017
Nonsensical murder has never been so exciting. "American Psycho" is hilarious. It's excellent as a satire, and Christian Bale is fantastic as Patrick Bateman, who is one of the most appallingly entertaining protagonists of all time. The supporting cast is wonderful as well. Nearly every line is quotable, and nearly every scene is iconic. It's a classic for good reasons, and one of my favorite movies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.
½ May 15, 2017
Sexy, funny, and disturbing.
May 10, 2017
After finishing the book I decided to give this a rewatch.

It was never going to be easy to adapt Bret Easton Ellis's novel as most of the shit that Bateman does in it wouldn't get pass the censors.

Mary Harron does a fine job of getting the mix of horror and comedy from page to screen.

Bale steals the film and IMO his best performance to date.

Bateman's love of shit music is brillantly used befor his sorid violent acts. The Huey Lewis & the News scene is one of the darkest pieces of comedy I have ever seen. So funny with Bale on fire.

Only complaints. Lack of reference of designer labels and it is a little short on running time.

It's hip to be square.