American Psycho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Psycho Reviews

October 23, 2016
Great performance by Bale, the scenes were he shares his thoughts on well known musicians as he prepares for murder is top notch.
October 19, 2016
An intense and intriguingly gripping character driven feature directed by Mary Harron. American Psycho revolves around Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), a wealthy New York investment banking executive that continually hides his deranged psychopathic alter ego from co-workers and friends.

The film revolves around strong themes of materialism, narcissism and mental illness, showing them in a well paced and stylish way, creating very dark humour throughout. It also perfectly depicts a culture where greed and success are everything, showing the implications of such pressures through Patrick Bateman's mental state.

The film is driven by the ego of the main character and ultimately its his downfall as a result of this ego, that brings his sanity into question. This change in character, from focused to helpless, makes American Psycho so impressive. Bale is fantastic, giving a chilling and powerful performance that sticks in the memory.

What I loved about this film was the very clever and though-provoking ambiguous ending. It leaves things up to interpretation and as a result it forces you to consider what has happened in the film prior.
October 11, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time
½ October 8, 2016
American Psycho is a stylish (even though not as compelling) adaptation of Ellis's novel, in which Christian Bale once again proves that creepy characters are surely among his pièces de résistance.
½ October 5, 2016
Brilliant film. Very amusing part played by Christian Bale as the crazy Patrick Bateman. I find Patrick Bateman insanely hilarious throughout and right from the off when he describes his morning routine in great detail ha.
September 28, 2016
It's not a particularly captivating story, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun as hell to watch Christian Bale go bat-shit crazy.
September 17, 2016
I had very high expectations on this movie, but in the end it was nothing that good. What stands above everything is the total absence of even the small believability of the characters and the reason of their actions.
½ September 14, 2016
Mi aspettavo di più da questo film, sia perché ne avevo sentito già parlare, sia perché gli attori presenti sono tutti bravi. Il film sembra serio ma trasmette un'aria così sconclusionata e poco realistica da sembrare un film demenziale. I personaggi sono tratteggiati male e dunque poco realistici, alla fine lo spettatore non empatizza con nessuno di essi.
September 7, 2016
I just want to know how the guy could've gotten away with killing the one woman on the staircase with a saw.. I'm very aware of the bystander effect, but despite how there might not have been surveillance cameras in that condo I don't see how he could've gotten away with all of that
September 6, 2016
"American Psycho" is a film that has its own style, with a great performance by Christian Bale, a perfect soundtrack and a very good script, the film pleases, leaves no one open mouth, but take what perhaps is a the most manjados themes of cinema (psychopaths and victims), and makes a unique, genuine work, with a sarcastic violence, which is a pleasure to see, in the mind of whimsical and narcissistic in the extreme Patrick Bateman, we we delight in on their journey in search perfection through the madness, all its twists and quirks are funny while sick, you start to hate Patrick-, but you want to see its outcome, which happens to be surprisingly expected.
½ August 30, 2016
American Psycho counts with a talented cast and with a bloody interesting story, however it is confusing enough to dislike its end.
August 29, 2016
The greatest satire to come out that year that also happens to be a horror movie. A truly brilliant and underrated movie.
August 27, 2016
A very Dark/Black Comedy Horror film not to be taken 100% Cult Classic. A must watch
August 19, 2016
Christian Bale's performance was incredible in this movie. He tackles the role of a crazed psychopath seemingly with ease and doesn't let up at all. This was unlike any horror movie I had ever watched before and I mean that in a good way despite the ending being somewhat confusing and out of nowhere. Regardless I see it as a modern classic and definitely one to watch.
August 16, 2016
American Psycho is an excellent serial killer movie. Bale gives one of his best over the top roles yet. There are times when the movie gets a little unrealistic (chainsaw, police) but its still really entertaining. The ending was a bit confusing, but it later adds a nice touch.

Second Viewing: After reading the book and then re-watching the film, I must say the film is a bit lacking when it comes to certain details. I liked Bale's performance less, and the movie's only real shining moments are cohesively putting events if a less scattershot way like in the book. The movie also has a better ending.
½ August 3, 2016
Walaupun penampilan Bale muda luar biasa tapi plot yang tadinya mau unik terasa aneh di akhir. Antiklimaks saya pikir. Disamping itu klimaks dapet banget setipe kaya film2 stephen hawking.
½ August 2, 2016
American psycho is a well directed, well paced dark comedy. The film's twisted sense of humor works most of the time and in general, the movie is a great piece of satire of the society and especially the superior classes of it. Christian Bale gives one of his most memorable performance and the dynamic that he brings to his character is the driving force of the movie. Jared Leto and Willem Dafoe also do a fantastic job. Despite all of the positives, the movie has some flaws. Most of the supporting cast doesn't do anything special and could be easily replaced by more talented actors. The movie also has some certain sequences that don't make sense, considering the twist. All in all, it is a pretty enjoyable film and I recommend it to any film lover out there.
July 29, 2016
Such a wonderful movie. The violence against women sometimes makes me uncomfortable, but the commentary and satire is all there and for a purpose. It's great. The book is even better (and more horrific).
July 15, 2016
Although Christian Bale gives an Oscar-worthy performance, everything else is just overrated and unsatisfying.
July 12, 2016
American psycho is a film that is a mixed bag of some sort for the general public and media. however in my book, it's a classic! Christian bale is fantastic in a role I have never seen him in. his co-star Willem Dafoe is great too. Patrick Bateman is a character that is very well realised and very well fleshed out with his faults that make him human! as a letter score I would give it a A-