American Psycho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Psycho Reviews

May 18, 2017
Nonsensical murder has never been so exciting. "American Psycho" is hilarious. It's excellent as a satire, and Christian Bale is fantastic as Patrick Bateman, who is one of the most appallingly entertaining protagonists of all time. The supporting cast is wonderful as well. Nearly every line is quotable, and nearly every scene is iconic. It's a classic for good reasons, and one of my favorite movies. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.
½ May 15, 2017
Sexy, funny, and disturbing.
May 10, 2017
After finishing the book I decided to give this a rewatch.

It was never going to be easy to adapt Bret Easton Ellis's novel as most of the shit that Bateman does in it wouldn't get pass the censors.

Mary Harron does a fine job of getting the mix of horror and comedy from page to screen.

Bale steals the film and IMO his best performance to date.

Bateman's love of shit music is brillantly used befor his sorid violent acts. The Huey Lewis & the News scene is one of the darkest pieces of comedy I have ever seen. So funny with Bale on fire.

Only complaints. Lack of reference of designer labels and it is a little short on running time.

It's hip to be square.
May 5, 2017
"I killed Paul Allen!"
½ May 2, 2017
This movie generally panders to the overplayed "psychopathic" tropes we are all used to. The plot in this movie leaves much to be desired. As you will likely come to one of two conclusions about the main character Patrick Bateman who is portrayed by Christian Bale: Bateman has lost his mind and none of the events -save for very few- actually took place, or all of these events actually occurred. The problem with this film is the fact that it does not convince you in either way and barely alludes to Bateman having gone insane. I concluded that he went insane and almost all of it is a fabrication in his own mind due to how ridiculous his crimes are. He kills practically six people in one night and manages to not get apprehended despite doing the bare minimum to conceal his identity. Not only that, but he goes to Paul Alan's apartment and does not bother wearing gloves, or better yet, drags a body in a sheet out into the apartment complex lobby. There are many other obvious (I won't mention the police cars blowing up after having been shot three times) inconsistencies that are were hopefully just made up in Patrick's brain. If on the other hand these fabrications were just details overlooked by the writers of the film, then truly, this is one to be forgotten.
April 30, 2017
Christian Bale was hilarious. The movie was just great. I'd watch it a million times.
April 24, 2017
Put on a show, Christian.
April 24, 2017
An underrated black comedy thriller classic, American Psycho will leave you breathless for hours after the haunting final line. It's subversive, it's allegorical, it's entertaining, and it offers Christian Bale's both complex, meticulous role.
½ April 22, 2017
I have to return some videotapes.
½ April 21, 2017
A quirky, memorable classic that will have you trying to one up your friends with quotes from the film.
April 21, 2017
A truly fantastic movie that does not receive the credit of being one of the greatest films of all time.
April 16, 2017
Walking in sunshine O Yeah!
April 12, 2017
Grade - B+
'American Psycho' is a dark comedy that at times struggles to find a tone and stick with it; but with fantastic dialogue and a truly excellent performance by Christian Bale it succeeds as not just a comedy about a serial killer, but a social commentary on the wealthy elite in general.
½ April 11, 2017
Christian Bale is brilliant, and what a unique , original thriller! Holds your interest throughout!
½ March 26, 2017
"American Psycho" is an entertaining and well thought out film. The plot follows the book's in all the right places, with Bale playing the role of Patrick Bateman extremely well, resulting in a perfectly thrilling and humorous experience.
March 20, 2017
What makes this film an extremely appreciable work of cult is both cinematography similar to the 80's and the megalomaniac, racist, misogynist and psychotic character that Christian Bale plays so well that you only have two options: Love him or hate him.
March 16, 2017
Terrible. Maybe it was better when it was made 17 years ago but I found it unwatchable today.
March 16, 2017
There are too many of these guys roaming lose today!
March 10, 2017
"Oh, I forgot. Bateman's dating someone from the ACLU." Spot on, as was Bale.