American Psycho - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Psycho Reviews

Page 1 of 994
½ June 19, 2018
he's not mentally ill, men just be like that
June 18, 2018
So utterly disturbing and one of the biggest unsolved plots of all time. Seriously, what really happened?
June 5, 2018
Such a confusing and shocking movie that only becomes more so leading up to the climax! It will have you laughing at the ridiculousness of it all while also making you want to turn away out of disgust. And the ending leaves for much debate about what actually happened.
May 25, 2018
One of my favorite movies of all time.
May 21, 2018
A classic. An impressive horror film, which is very effective and disturbing, showing us the sick fantasies of a psychopath, and that's all thanks to a bone chilling performance by Christian Bale. The screenplay is well written, the cinematography is nice and I also liked the suddle sense of sick humor to it. A gastly gripping movie, and one of the best horrors I've seen a while, and the twist ending will leave you stunned. Great film and recommended !!
½ April 16, 2018
Sorry I just can't like this movie I don't see what everybody sees in the it's so boring
April 3, 2018
"Podemos sempre ser mais magros, ter um aspeto melhor" - Patrick Bateman.

American Psycho retrata a vida de um executivo rico em Nova Iorque que trabalha em Wall Street, de nome Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale). Bateman é um homem formoso, bem educado e inteligente. Tem vinte sete anos e vive o sonho americano à sua maneira. Acredita numa dieta equilibrada e exercício físico regular, assim como a utilização de cremes faciais masculinos para exorbitar a sua beleza. Até aqui tudo normal. Nada normal é tudo o que vem de seguida.

Esta crítica deve ser orientada a partir da personalidade narcisista e sedenta deste senhor, pois é exatamente esse o propósito da obra, criticar um tipo de personalidade que foi recorrente na década onde se passa o filme (1987), e que ainda é recorrente nos dias de hoje. Passo a explicar.

Adaptado do best seller de 1991 de Bret Easton Ellis, o filme retrata o consumismo, o materialismo, a vaidade e a ganância, através das atitudes do nosso protagonista. Há inclusive uma cena onde um grupo de empresários comparam os seus cartões de negócios, discutindo as palavras, os acabamentos, a textura, a espessura, entre outros. A sua masculinidade é discutida através de cartões. Competem através de rivalidades como roupas, salários, e quem consegue obter as reservas nos melhores restaurantes da zona.

Por fora têm tudo para parecerem importantes, mas é tudo um engano. São espaço vazio. O filme até brinca com uma situação em que Bateman é tão parecido com um dos seus colegas (Jared Leto), que por vezes são confundidos um com o outro. O que obviamente não pode ser, segundo os interesses do nosso psicopata).

Estamos perante uma personagem desprovida de empatia. Tudo o que procura é a satisfação do seu ego. Durante o dia, cuida de si por inteiro, procura aceitação geral, anseia ser o melhor, conseguir o melhor. Todo muito metódico e organizado. Durante a noite, sem outro objetivo na vida, urge uma vontade de assassinar, desagradavelmente, pois a sua sede de ganância e poder desmedido não lhe deixam alternativa. Existe uma imensa necessidade de se sentir superior, uma necessidade interminável e devastadora para o próprio.

A intenção de comédia negra é explícita. De certa forma, haverá muita gente que conseguirá relacionar-se com este indivíduo, por muito estranho que pareça. Afinal de contas, querer ser o melhor, querer muito algo ou conseguir um determinado objetivo são sensações desejamos. O filme exibe essa ideia em proporções assustadoramente dramáticas.

Realizado e escrito por Mary Harron, American Psycho é executado de forma imaginativa e detalhada, com uma performance tremenda de Christian Bale. Harron não só realizou como também escreveu o argumento, com Guinevere Turnere, onde estruturaram as cenas e idealizaram frases simples mas memoráveis. O final ambíguo é a cereja no topo do bolo que dá que pensar. Mas não se enganem. Se Bateman tivesse menos posses e mais empenho no trabalho, certamente muitas vidas teriam sido poupadas.

8,6/10
March 10, 2018
Original, graciosa y sorprendentemente profunda, American Psycho es una pelicula que nadie se tiene que perder.
March 10, 2018
Psychopathy in the super yuppie 1980s financial district, where a wolf in sheep's clothing runs rampant through the sea of fake grins and phony networking events. Christian Bale really made his name as a leading man in the role of Patrick Bateman, a move that looks bold and prescient in hindsight as many warned it would be career suicide. He's the motor behind this story, on-screen for basically the duration, and able to balance scenes of dark, black humor with later episodes that require him to come completely unhinged. The first hour is unspeakably funny, engulfing us in Bateman's daily ritual and knee-jerk lust for violence, in the masks he wears to pass muster and the hopelessly superficial assholes he hangs around with. It's absolutely loaded with classic scenes and quotable lines, like "Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?", "Don't just stare at it, eat it" and "My god, it's even got a watermark" and I could joyfully revisit any one of those snippets at the drop of a hat. Every time we start to think it's okay to cheer the serial killer, though, he pulls a blood-chilling stunt that makes us question our own judgment. As the film unfolds, he grows increasingly sloppy, desperately chasing the dragon until he's in so deep that there seems to be no escape. The climax is a big tonal swing, and though it flirts with the idea of a wild twist at the very end, a lot is left to the viewer and I don't think it completely arrives where it means to. Still, it's a relentlessly entertaining movie that toys with a broad range of emotions and gives us one of the decade's most memorable performances. I could watch this just about any time.
March 5, 2018
Rotten Tomatoes sucks
½ March 3, 2018
A brilliant work of art if at times too chatty.
½ March 1, 2018
Christian Bale is all around the film all the way through and this is why his character is age 27 and well educated and that is why he's born in 1974. I absolutely love Christian Bale's performance. He really does give his performance a lot of humor and horror which I don't think this movie is scary to be honest. There are some 80's songs which I absolutely love. They completely fit to the film in the late 1980's. I'm surprised that the filmmakers didn't put any 90's songs in it. Maybe it's because the novel seems written in the 80's.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. it was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation and on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens an enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off the robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove you dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In To Deep is the most moving pop song in the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your a$$hole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In The Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.
This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favourite.

Well, that's the way it goes, folks. Brilliantly directed and acted by Christian Bale. Nothing can go wrong with the movie. If it did, look at the ending or not. This dark comedy is a positive must. If not, maybe look at the List of NC-17 Rated Films that are going to be Rated R. Well, anyways, brilliant film, positive review on it and 80's Snapshot and all.
February 3, 2018
I did not like it. stupid ending
Super Reviewer
½ February 2, 2018
A brilliant horror film that has more than its fair share of dark humour. A yuppie loses the plot and ends up killing people off...in between facial packs, working out and dining at the best restaurants!
½ February 1, 2018
I still cannot entirely figure out what I think of this movie's plot and more importantly its message. But the things that makes up from it is great acting and a screenplay that takes you into the mind of a psycho to the point where you're beginning to wonder what is real and what is the character's own obsessions and desires.
January 31, 2018
Although it has an incredible critic to the behavior of the Wall Street people in the 80's, American Psycho has some issues of not being a funny movie, at least for me.
January 13, 2018
American Psycho is stylish, murderously fun and hip to be square!
January 5, 2018
I gotta return some video tapes
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Visceral, visualmente impactante y una brillante actuación de Christian Bale.
Page 1 of 994