Annie Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Hall Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
This movie sucks. How did it win any awards. The lowest ranking allowable is a half star. I wish i could give it negative for taking an hour and a half of my life away from me.
March 20, 2017
Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of movies about relationships that are focused on a break-up. But Annie Hall defies those expectations. Part of the reason I dealt with it is the fact that Allen's character tells us from the very beginning that is how the film will end. It also doesn't hurt that the movie is overloaded with humor, so nothing is taken seriously. The movie is silly and therefore I don't find myself depressed like I can be sometimes with these anti-romance stories.

What's so great about this movie are all the different methods that Allen utilizes for humor. He's breaking the 4th wall, he's showing silly flashbacks, he's even giving us subtitles that tell us the characters' thoughts in contrast to what their mouths are saying. All that, and there's loads of witty dialogue as well. These are all techniques that work perfectly for me. I almost would have liked to see more breaking of the 4th wall, because those were the moments I was laughing the most.

In my limited experience, Woody Allen has a very particular way of writing dialogue, and I'm glad he acts in the lead role here to deliver a lot of it. I've found that it can sometimes be off-putting when Allen's words come out of other actors' mouths, but I don't have to deal with that in Annie Hall. Diane Keaton is great as the titular romantic counterpart, and she has great timing with Allen. I didn't realize how great the timing was until there is a scene that literally shows him interacting with other women and not connecting on any of his jokes.

To be fair, there are some jokes that fall flat, and I think some scenes are weaker than others. There's even one section of the film that I was worried it was getting too sidetracked and I didn't know where it was going. But the film recovered quickly, and as a total package it is a movie that I loved. It had me chuckling throughout, and actually made me think about what holds relationships together and how they can fall apart. Annie Hall is definitely fighting with Midnight in Paris for the title of my favorite Woody Allen film. When he sticks with comedy, it works perfectly for me.
½ March 3, 2017
Despite the technically clever writing, I found only Annie Hall to be interesting only at small times after the first 20 minutes. The plot jumped all over the place and Woody Allen is a much better writer than actor.
February 28, 2017
Woody Allen's masterpiece does not have a single dull moment. You could watch it again and again, and still find yourself laughing.
February 17, 2017
This is my first Woody Allen movie, so I will refrain from making comments about his general skill as a director/writer since it's entirely possible that he's made some great stuff. This one however, I didn't enjoy almost at all. The dialogue and writing in this is insufferable. It's so long-winded and whiny that I seriously contemplated giving up about 20 minutes in. On top of that, Woody Allen's character is one of the most irritating, rage-inducing people I've ever seen put to screen. You get the impression that you're supposed to laugh to yourself at how paranoid he is, but ultimately think that he has good insight into the world and people. Actually though, literally everything he says in the whole movie is annoying and pretentious. On top of that, he never shuts his stupid face. 90% of his... ahem... "jokes" are just, "Wow. Look at how this guy is still talking and talking. Isn't that hysterical." The only thing that kept me going was the constant breaking of the fourth wall which, yeah, I'll admit is incredibly creative and well done. I recommend looking up those scenes and not watching the whole movie. So yeah not a fan.
½ February 6, 2017
Annie Hall is a touching classic that, below its cynical outlook on life, manages to be charming and insightful. Woody Allen acts and directs well and Diane Keaton is brilliant. It's also cool to see some early work from Christopher Walken. The screenplay was very good and funny when it needed to be. I admire Allen for not taking this down the typical route for romantic comedies.
February 6, 2017
Thoughtful, quirky, hilarious, neurotic, even romantic, and altho talky, it moves quickly from joke to joke and thot to thot. Keaton and Allen are at their ultimate nuttiest and captured in their own goofy quirkdom here, and you will get it or you wont.
I got it.
Allen is actually shown enjoying himself w Keaton, and it makes this whole film transcend the dire selfish creep that Allen characterises otherwise.
He smirks often and has fun!
This is the culmination of the intriguing bits that make up Woody Allen's comedy without wasting too much time on any one of his many character pitfalls.
You will love or hate this.
It hits all the bases of fun entertainment, and was picture of the year for 1977, beating out Star Wars.
Not for everyone tho - who might find the characters annoying. It IS Woody Allen..

4 out of 5 smirky glances
February 4, 2017
yeah, I need the eggs
January 26, 2017
Hilariously offbeat and quirky, Annie Hall is an unconventional comedy with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
½ January 24, 2017
A sweet movie, the romance could have been more believable, but the writing was just so good that i was easy to forget that.
½ January 13, 2017
Woody Allen's classic romance story is an entertaining watch. The comedy is clever and the performances are very good. It's a movie with good dialogue and a story that is simple but ultimately moving. I do think that the movie does have some pacing issues since I felt it was a bit of a drag in places, but I really enjoyed the final act and it definitely made it worth seeing. It's a unique movie with an interesting style, sharp humor, and a good story.
½ January 10, 2017
I don't understand the appeal. It was very monotonous to me. Not much of a plot. Just dialogue with Woody Allen whining about everything. It wasn't funny. (First and only full viewing - 12/13/2010)
January 6, 2017
Who knew that in 1977 Woody Allen would graphically portray exactly the type of urban soul that rural Trump supporters hate: over-educated, over-erudite, and over-exposed. His character hates Los Angeles as being too rural. But he can laugh at himself, and so the inherent charm of this work survives.
½ December 30, 2016
I do love Woody Allen, and this was my first venture into one of his earlier works. The film largely holds up over time. I even laughed out loud a few times, not what I was expecting from watching his more recent films.
December 26, 2016
Really enjoyable- feels dated but woody allen's character is all too relatable - in the moment your goals and desires seem reasonable but as an observer we know better. If only we could step outside ourself during these times!
December 10, 2016
lilian from kimmy schmidt was a fox
½ November 28, 2016
A great movie by woody allen with the strategy he made from rolling over the memories and the talking to the camera "unique" work and one of the most beautiful realistic romance movies ever made
November 27, 2016
Simple, sweet, elegant, and beautiful. This is one of the most hilarious and beautiful romances in movie history.
½ November 6, 2016
Despliegue creativo de Allen. Diane Keaton espectacular (personalmente, la mejor actriz en las películas de Woody). Annie Hall atrae al espectador pero más por su forma de ser que por una especie de amor platónico, es decir, nunca hay un ambiente de película romántica (aunque tampoco es ese el ambiente que procura el director neoyorquino).

"But we need the eggs". Gran final.
½ November 1, 2016
I have very mixed feelings for this film. On the plus side, it's an innovative, intellectually funny relationship film. On the negative side, it beat Star Wars for Best Picture at the Oscars for 1977. It's a good film, probably one of Woody Allen's best, but in retrospect, it's not as good as Star Wars.

Roughly, this is the story of a relationship and what Allen's character Alvy learns from it. It's almost entirely dialogue-driven, with little or no actual plot action. That dialogue, however, is fast and witty, even by today's standards. Told out of sequence and with various asides directly to the audience, this film finds new ways to inform the viewers what Alvy is feeling. There is a split-screen scene where two families in different locations talk to each other about their respective offspring. There's an animated scene that serves as a transition between settings.

I found, 40 years later, that the energy dwindles in the second half. It seems as if Allen couldn't find a way to wrap it up, so it just peters out. I recall that Annie's fashion sense was very influential in the late '70s, but it's hard to say that the film's visual style overall was as enduring.