Annie Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Hall Reviews

½ January 13, 2017
Woody Allen's classic romance story is an entertaining watch. The comedy is clever and the performances are very good. It's a movie with good dialogue and a story that is simple but ultimately moving. I do think that the movie does have some pacing issues since I felt it was a bit of a drag in places, but I really enjoyed the final act and it definitely made it worth seeing. It's a unique movie with an interesting style, sharp humor, and a good story.
½ January 10, 2017
I don't understand the appeal. It was very monotonous to me. Not much of a plot. Just dialogue with Woody Allen whining about everything. It wasn't funny. (First and only full viewing - 12/13/2010)
January 6, 2017
Who knew that in 1977 Woody Allen would graphically portray exactly the type of urban soul that rural Trump supporters hate: over-educated, over-erudite, and over-exposed. His character hates Los Angeles as being too rural. But he can laugh at himself, and so the inherent charm of this work survives.
½ December 30, 2016
I do love Woody Allen, and this was my first venture into one of his earlier works. The film largely holds up over time. I even laughed out loud a few times, not what I was expecting from watching his more recent films.
December 26, 2016
Really enjoyable- feels dated but woody allen's character is all too relatable - in the moment your goals and desires seem reasonable but as an observer we know better. If only we could step outside ourself during these times!
December 10, 2016
lilian from kimmy schmidt was a fox
½ November 28, 2016
A great movie by woody allen with the strategy he made from rolling over the memories and the talking to the camera "unique" work and one of the most beautiful realistic romance movies ever made
November 27, 2016
Simple, sweet, elegant, and beautiful. This is one of the most hilarious and beautiful romances in movie history.
½ November 6, 2016
Despliegue creativo de Allen. Diane Keaton espectacular (personalmente, la mejor actriz en las películas de Woody). Annie Hall atrae al espectador pero más por su forma de ser que por una especie de amor platónico, es decir, nunca hay un ambiente de película romántica (aunque tampoco es ese el ambiente que procura el director neoyorquino).

"But we need the eggs". Gran final.
½ November 1, 2016
I have very mixed feelings for this film. On the plus side, it's an innovative, intellectually funny relationship film. On the negative side, it beat Star Wars for Best Picture at the Oscars for 1977. It's a good film, probably one of Woody Allen's best, but in retrospect, it's not as good as Star Wars.

Roughly, this is the story of a relationship and what Allen's character Alvy learns from it. It's almost entirely dialogue-driven, with little or no actual plot action. That dialogue, however, is fast and witty, even by today's standards. Told out of sequence and with various asides directly to the audience, this film finds new ways to inform the viewers what Alvy is feeling. There is a split-screen scene where two families in different locations talk to each other about their respective offspring. There's an animated scene that serves as a transition between settings.

I found, 40 years later, that the energy dwindles in the second half. It seems as if Allen couldn't find a way to wrap it up, so it just peters out. I recall that Annie's fashion sense was very influential in the late '70s, but it's hard to say that the film's visual style overall was as enduring.
October 14, 2016
For a mid level wine that's not supposed to get better with time...it's still funny after all these years (with or without grass).
September 16, 2016
Annie Hall(1977)
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, Janet Margolin, Christopher Walken, and Colleen Dewhurst
Directed By: Woody Allen
Review
A NERVOUS ROMANCE
Hello Kiddies your pal the Cupid Critic here with one of the most influential romantic comedies that had it's own and beat Star Wars at the Oscars for Best Picture.
Alvy Singer(Woody Allen) is one of Manhattan's most brilliant comedians, but when it comes to romance, his delivery needs a little work. Introduced by his best friend Rob(Tony Roberts) Alvy falls in love with the ditzy but delightful nightclub singer Annie Hall(Diane Keaton). When Alvy's own insecurities sabotage the affair, Annie is forced to leave Alvy for a new life-and lover(Paul Simon)-in LOs Angles. Knowing he may have lost Annie forever, Alvy's willing to go to great lengths- even driving L.A's freeways-to recapture the only thing that mattered-true love.
I've been wanting to see this for a while, the first Woody Allen picture I ever saw was Blue Jasmine and I loved that film, granted its nothing like Annie Hall but it was a great character study. Annie Hall was also a best picture winner so that also made me more excited when I put the Bluray in.
Annie Hall contains more intellectual wit and cultural references than any other movie to win an Oscar for best picture, and in winning the award in 1978 it edged out Star Wars, an outcome unthinkable today. The victory marked the beginning of Woody Allen's career as an important filmmaker(his work was funny but slight) and it signaled the end of the 1970s golden age of movies.
Annie Hall is built on such dialogue and centers on conversation and monologue. Because it is just about everyone's favorite Woody Allen movie, because it won the Oscar, because it is a romantic comedy few viewers probably notice how much of it consist of people talking, simply talking.
This is a movie that establishes its tone by constantly switching between tones: The switches reflect the restless mind of the filmmaker, turning away from the apparent subject of a scene to find the angle that reveals the joke. Annie Hall is a movie about a man who is always looking for the loopholes in perfection. Who can turn everything into a joke, and wishes he couldn't. I give Annie Hall a five out of five.
September 10, 2016
Who can't like this?
½ August 7, 2016
Indeed no doubt , Allen crazy and honest execution is very fresh at that era. But now, too much happening. Despite, this honest romance movie is charming in some way.
½ July 31, 2016
Move night with Iris.

YES!!!! My daughter loved this to bits. Allen's greatest and still one of my Top 5 ever. La Di Da.
½ July 23, 2016
'Doc, my brother's crazy, he thinks he's a chicken.' And the doctor says, 'Well why don't you turn him in?' and the guy says, 'I would, but I need the eggs.'
July 21, 2016
Woody Allen has always been a quirky fella, but Annie Hall shows him at his funniest and most human. A cultural staple in particular due to Allen's frequent breaking of the fourth wall, from which Ferris Bueller and many other films since could only borrow. What Allen does best is his ability to integrate his funniest jokes seamlessly into the plot, but he also deserves credit for crafting a real, human relationship with Diane Keaton. Most rom coms involve a pairing that builds in excitement, meets an obstacle, and finally ends tragically or perfectly, whereas Annie Hall opts instead for the usual ups and downs of relationships and has no dramatic conclusion. Diane Keaton deserves her Oscar for her fantastic performance and Woody Allen his for a terrific script.
½ July 19, 2016
I'll admit that film school ruined this one for me. Being told you have to like something OR ELSE makes a person not like something.
½ July 15, 2016
A fantastically unique film with an individual voice in regards to the romantic-comedy genre. Allen steals the show with his writing, but Keaton's performance is pitch-perfect as well.
July 15, 2016
It's entierly possible that my knowledge of Woody Allen's personal life is clouding my judgement, but I just can't understand why Annie Hall is such a classic. Sure there are some great little meta moments, particularly the appearance of Marshall McLuhan to settle a disagreement about his theories, but mostly it's a film about a neurotic, whiney Jewish man who treats everyone around him like crap. The script may be clever, but it's not enough to cover up the entitlement that Allen clearly has or wash away the bad taste the film leaves.