Annie Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Hall Reviews

October 14, 2016
For a mid level wine that's not supposed to get better with's still funny after all these years (with or without grass).
September 16, 2016
Annie Hall(1977)
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, Janet Margolin, Christopher Walken, and Colleen Dewhurst
Directed By: Woody Allen
Hello Kiddies your pal the Cupid Critic here with one of the most influential romantic comedies that had it's own and beat Star Wars at the Oscars for Best Picture.
Alvy Singer(Woody Allen) is one of Manhattan's most brilliant comedians, but when it comes to romance, his delivery needs a little work. Introduced by his best friend Rob(Tony Roberts) Alvy falls in love with the ditzy but delightful nightclub singer Annie Hall(Diane Keaton). When Alvy's own insecurities sabotage the affair, Annie is forced to leave Alvy for a new life-and lover(Paul Simon)-in LOs Angles. Knowing he may have lost Annie forever, Alvy's willing to go to great lengths- even driving L.A's freeways-to recapture the only thing that mattered-true love.
I've been wanting to see this for a while, the first Woody Allen picture I ever saw was Blue Jasmine and I loved that film, granted its nothing like Annie Hall but it was a great character study. Annie Hall was also a best picture winner so that also made me more excited when I put the Bluray in.
Annie Hall contains more intellectual wit and cultural references than any other movie to win an Oscar for best picture, and in winning the award in 1978 it edged out Star Wars, an outcome unthinkable today. The victory marked the beginning of Woody Allen's career as an important filmmaker(his work was funny but slight) and it signaled the end of the 1970s golden age of movies.
Annie Hall is built on such dialogue and centers on conversation and monologue. Because it is just about everyone's favorite Woody Allen movie, because it won the Oscar, because it is a romantic comedy few viewers probably notice how much of it consist of people talking, simply talking.
This is a movie that establishes its tone by constantly switching between tones: The switches reflect the restless mind of the filmmaker, turning away from the apparent subject of a scene to find the angle that reveals the joke. Annie Hall is a movie about a man who is always looking for the loopholes in perfection. Who can turn everything into a joke, and wishes he couldn't. I give Annie Hall a five out of five.
September 10, 2016
Who can't like this?
½ August 7, 2016
Indeed no doubt , Allen crazy and honest execution is very fresh at that era. But now, too much happening. Despite, this honest romance movie is charming in some way.
½ July 31, 2016
Move night with Iris.

YES!!!! My daughter loved this to bits. Allen's greatest and still one of my Top 5 ever. La Di Da.
½ July 23, 2016
'Doc, my brother's crazy, he thinks he's a chicken.' And the doctor says, 'Well why don't you turn him in?' and the guy says, 'I would, but I need the eggs.'
July 21, 2016
Woody Allen has always been a quirky fella, but Annie Hall shows him at his funniest and most human. A cultural staple in particular due to Allen's frequent breaking of the fourth wall, from which Ferris Bueller and many other films since could only borrow. What Allen does best is his ability to integrate his funniest jokes seamlessly into the plot, but he also deserves credit for crafting a real, human relationship with Diane Keaton. Most rom coms involve a pairing that builds in excitement, meets an obstacle, and finally ends tragically or perfectly, whereas Annie Hall opts instead for the usual ups and downs of relationships and has no dramatic conclusion. Diane Keaton deserves her Oscar for her fantastic performance and Woody Allen his for a terrific script.
½ July 19, 2016
I'll admit that film school ruined this one for me. Being told you have to like something OR ELSE makes a person not like something.
½ July 15, 2016
A fantastically unique film with an individual voice in regards to the romantic-comedy genre. Allen steals the show with his writing, but Keaton's performance is pitch-perfect as well.
July 15, 2016
It's entierly possible that my knowledge of Woody Allen's personal life is clouding my judgement, but I just can't understand why Annie Hall is such a classic. Sure there are some great little meta moments, particularly the appearance of Marshall McLuhan to settle a disagreement about his theories, but mostly it's a film about a neurotic, whiney Jewish man who treats everyone around him like crap. The script may be clever, but it's not enough to cover up the entitlement that Allen clearly has or wash away the bad taste the film leaves.
½ July 14, 2016
Ah Woody Allen. A director that, surprisingly as a kid, i heard so much about for his witty humor and his simple but yet very touching and warmhearted romances. And sure he had a rocky career after the mid 80's, but since the release of Midnight in Paris (a film i'm eagerly gonna try and watch at some point.) he's been reaching his glory once again. And with Cafe Society coming out soon, i thought i would try and watch his first directorial and praised film: Annie Hall. And after a surprisingly short 1 hour and 33 minutes, is the film good and better yet does it even make me a fan of his style of comedy and romance? Honestly, yes and yes. Honestly i wasn't expecting to be blown away from this film all that much, especially without hearing much about Annie Hall other than it being a good film, and i was luckily happy enough to enjoy the film A LOT. While i do think that i wish the main characters themselves were a bit more likable to understand some of the choices they make from their relationship & some of the cinematography is a tad bit stale (which Woody Allen has been known to lack,) i have to say the film is still a very comedically funny and dramatic trip i had fun with. The positives were: The performances from Diana Keaton & Woody Allen are STELLAR and make for a likable duo for romance, the camerawork is impressive enough on it's own to make up for the cinematography, nice reincorporation is made superbly through the films climax and through very important dramatic scenes, some funny cameos from up and coming stars like Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Walken & Sigourney Weaver, and the script is charming and hilarious through it's characters and it's superb comedy. So overall, yeah i enjoyed it. I like Woody Allen's 'Ferris Bueller' persona and very spot on pop culture references type of humor, and it makes me want to see more of his work. Hopefully soon with Manhattan, Midnight in Paris & Cafe Society it can make me enjoy him for his impact on Hollywood and as a director.
June 23, 2016
"- I, I thought of that old joke, y'know, the, this... this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs"
June 22, 2016
One of his most famous movies, not the best for me.
½ June 22, 2016
From start to finish, a cleverly writen and splendid directed romantic comedy that takes the best of the genre and mokes from the same, not to mention Woody Allen and Diane Keaton's astonishing performances.
½ June 12, 2016
What a beautiful film
½ June 8, 2016
This romantic comedy classic changed games and defied genre conventions with its non-sequential narrative, anhedonic witticisms, metatheatrical antics, and pragmatic ode to human relationships. I don't really think the titular character is as ditzy as she's always described in synopses, nor do I think Diane Keaton's satisfactory performance was Oscar-worthy, but as a whole, "Annie Hall" is simply one of the best.
June 5, 2016
An intellectual-comical treat!
June 4, 2016
Loved it! Annie starts so adorable and awkward and ends as such a different person. Amazing character development with a wonderful supporting role from New York City.
May 31, 2016
This is justly regarded as a classic. It' funny, human, relatable, and insightful with a smidgen of cinematic experimentation.
May 26, 2016
"That was the most fun I've ever had without laughing."