Annie Hall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Hall Reviews

August 17, 2017
This romantic comedy is classic Woody Allen playing himself and displaying his neurotic personality. It contains solid performances and includes some very unusual techniques including cartoon, subtitled thoughts, etc. The film relies heavy on its witty and constant dialogue, mainly between the two lead characters, and for the most it works very well, resulting in an enjoyable and entertaining film. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time and the second best romantic comedy off all time. AAW 1001
August 11, 2017
Annie Hall:

Pros:
- Amazing Acting

- Fantastic Directing

- Terrific Script

- Very Funny Moments

- Great Chemistry Between Woody Allen and Diane Keaton

- Magnificent Ending

- Very Great Take On How Relationships Really Are

- Good Characters

- Very Well Paced

- Very Well Shot

Cons:
- None

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
½ July 28, 2017
This remains in the top two of my favorite Woody Allen films. In true fashion, Woody sticks to what he knows about relationships and what he knows as a writer. Not every love story is sealed with a kiss, some are just bittersweet. The takeaway is an honest love story that audiences have related to for years.
½ July 20, 2017
Annie Hall (1977) exhibits the finest, most apt biting social commentary & intellectual wit now synonymous with Woody Allen and his films. Unlike most comedies, Annie Hall refuses to pander to its audience. Alvy's (Allen) stream of witticisms need a keen ear to keep up with. But, if audiences invest in Annie Hall's neurotic protagonist, they are richly rewarded with one of the best comedic scripts ever written. Annie Hall provides a rather cynical examination of 1970s US society through the many conversations that drive the romcom's plot along. The central plot - the relationship between Allen and Keaton - isn't really the most interesting, nor entertaining aspect of Annie Hall. Allen plays an imitation of himself & Keaton is in her element in a role written for her. Both contribute to Annie Hall's terrific comedy. Ebert said Annie Hall's filmmaking mirrors the central protagonist (and Allen himself) in its switching between tones - he's exactly right. Annie Hall is a must-see for all fans of comedy. Provides accurate, biting examination of relationships and society.
July 13, 2017
I'm still not sure if Annie Hall represents Woody Allen's mainstream optimism prevailing over his depressive genius, or if it's his usual pessimism going undercover just long enough to cause a long-term cardiac arrest of lovesickness. This was another example of an unreplicable 70s piece that embodied the disappointment of the post-hippie generation, realizing that love can never be completely distilled from sex. Annie Hall, in many respects, was the screen's most infuriating antagonist, at least from a lonely nerd's point of view.

It would be remiss of me not to include my 1970s inspiration, that depressive and quirky old man who was once my age, who defined uncertain love for two generations of moviegoers. I thought it fitting to include Annie Hall as one of cinema's great villains, that is, the woman whom the protagonist always felt he was meant to win-and yet the one that got away. Annie Hall is the perfect representation of the "ex" that you love and hate at the same time, the one antagonist of this list that provokes conflict by eluding the hero, not threatening him. It's impossible to narrow down the great villains or the best sad love lost stories of Woody Allen, but it's fairly easy to identify the one movie that spoke to me as an idolizing, lonely teen. There have been better movies that broke the fourth wall, and dissected their villains and heroes with penetrating insight (such as the works by Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze) but Woody Allen was one of the first movie icons to truly explore himself in the objective, cynical way, in this film, not to mention Manhattan and The Purple Rose of Cairo.
½ July 10, 2017
Woody Allen at his best: baring his insecurities and shortcomings, muttering and mumbling his way through a string of sharp, witty statements, experimenting with film techniques, admiring the lost landscape of 1970s New York and, still, finding time for a rich, colorful portrayal of a years-long romance. Allen and Diane Keaton really make the film work, their rapport is so smooth, easy and genuine. We want to see them tough it out together, because their good times are so pure and true, but we know that fresh infatuation has a relatively short shelf life and the characters' essential differences make a longer, more serious relationship impossible. We see it all in a string of short snapshots, an expert mix of vital moments that anyone who's been through such a whirlwind will no doubt recognize. Those early, sunny memories you won't forget and the later, stormier ones you can't. Funny and poignant, with a dash of playful fourth-wall recognizance to keep us on our toes, it expertly churns all sorts of universal emotions.
July 3, 2017
Really excellent. Extremely funny, thoughtful and fun to watch. I don't know why I haven't watched more Woody Allen films before, but will definitely keep rolling through his filmography after this one.
June 1, 2017
No doubt one of the most prolific of Woody Allen's earlier films & such an accessible capsule of his style & quirk.

The story of neurotic Comedian Alvy Singer & his carefree girlfriend Annie Hall & their nervous & complicated relationship with NYC as their backdrop to their story.

Filled with clever & terrific sequences that where quite unusual in their day now duplicated today. A great Woody classic that doesn't date.
May 28, 2017
This is brilliant in all the areas of filmmaking. It's so freaking funny.
April 22, 2017
10/10 briliant comedy.
I remember each dialogs even after 25 years. Every 3-4th year I watch again and again.
April 3, 2017
#WOODYALLENRETRO PODCAST PROJECT

40 Years and the movie is still one of the best rom-coms ever made from creativity, character chemistry, story and execution..

Mature, fun and witty with a nice feel good ending.. it's just great.. still!
½ March 26, 2017
This movie sucks. How did it win any awards. The lowest ranking allowable is a half star. I wish i could give it negative for taking an hour and a half of my life away from me.
March 20, 2017
Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of movies about relationships that are focused on a break-up. But Annie Hall defies those expectations. Part of the reason I dealt with it is the fact that Allen's character tells us from the very beginning that is how the film will end. It also doesn't hurt that the movie is overloaded with humor, so nothing is taken seriously. The movie is silly and therefore I don't find myself depressed like I can be sometimes with these anti-romance stories.

What's so great about this movie are all the different methods that Allen utilizes for humor. He's breaking the 4th wall, he's showing silly flashbacks, he's even giving us subtitles that tell us the characters' thoughts in contrast to what their mouths are saying. All that, and there's loads of witty dialogue as well. These are all techniques that work perfectly for me. I almost would have liked to see more breaking of the 4th wall, because those were the moments I was laughing the most.

In my limited experience, Woody Allen has a very particular way of writing dialogue, and I'm glad he acts in the lead role here to deliver a lot of it. I've found that it can sometimes be off-putting when Allen's words come out of other actors' mouths, but I don't have to deal with that in Annie Hall. Diane Keaton is great as the titular romantic counterpart, and she has great timing with Allen. I didn't realize how great the timing was until there is a scene that literally shows him interacting with other women and not connecting on any of his jokes.

To be fair, there are some jokes that fall flat, and I think some scenes are weaker than others. There's even one section of the film that I was worried it was getting too sidetracked and I didn't know where it was going. But the film recovered quickly, and as a total package it is a movie that I loved. It had me chuckling throughout, and actually made me think about what holds relationships together and how they can fall apart. Annie Hall is definitely fighting with Midnight in Paris for the title of my favorite Woody Allen film. When he sticks with comedy, it works perfectly for me.
½ March 3, 2017
Despite the technically clever writing, I found only Annie Hall to be interesting only at small times after the first 20 minutes. The plot jumped all over the place and Woody Allen is a much better writer than actor.
February 28, 2017
Woody Allen's masterpiece does not have a single dull moment. You could watch it again and again, and still find yourself laughing.
February 17, 2017
This is my first Woody Allen movie, so I will refrain from making comments about his general skill as a director/writer since it's entirely possible that he's made some great stuff. This one however, I didn't enjoy almost at all. The dialogue and writing in this is insufferable. It's so long-winded and whiny that I seriously contemplated giving up about 20 minutes in. On top of that, Woody Allen's character is one of the most irritating, rage-inducing people I've ever seen put to screen. You get the impression that you're supposed to laugh to yourself at how paranoid he is, but ultimately think that he has good insight into the world and people. Actually though, literally everything he says in the whole movie is annoying and pretentious. On top of that, he never shuts his stupid face. 90% of his... ahem... "jokes" are just, "Wow. Look at how this guy is still talking and talking. Isn't that hysterical." The only thing that kept me going was the constant breaking of the fourth wall which, yeah, I'll admit is incredibly creative and well done. I recommend looking up those scenes and not watching the whole movie. So yeah not a fan.
½ February 6, 2017
Annie Hall is a touching classic that, below its cynical outlook on life, manages to be charming and insightful. Woody Allen acts and directs well and Diane Keaton is brilliant. It's also cool to see some early work from Christopher Walken. The screenplay was very good and funny when it needed to be. I admire Allen for not taking this down the typical route for romantic comedies.
February 6, 2017
Thoughtful, quirky, hilarious, neurotic, even romantic, and altho talky, it moves quickly from joke to joke and thot to thot. Keaton and Allen are at their ultimate nuttiest and captured in their own goofy quirkdom here, and you will get it or you wont.
I got it.
Allen is actually shown enjoying himself w Keaton, and it makes this whole film transcend the dire selfish creep that Allen characterises otherwise.
He smirks often and has fun!
This is the culmination of the intriguing bits that make up Woody Allen's comedy without wasting too much time on any one of his many character pitfalls.
You will love or hate this.
It hits all the bases of fun entertainment, and was picture of the year for 1977, beating out Star Wars.
Not for everyone tho - who might find the characters annoying. It IS Woody Allen..

4 out of 5 smirky glances