Army of Darkness Reviews

• 5d ago

Another installment where we see another Bruce Campbell overwhelming performance and Sam Raimi's new take on the story, more action comedy than suspense thrilling but a fresh entry

• Nov 13, 2020

With the energetic direction of Sam Raimi, the wonderfully hammy acting of Bruce Campbell, the charming special effects and an incredibly fun climax, Army of Darkness not only elevated Ash Williams into a pop culture icon but also marked a solid conclusion to the trilogy...at least depending on which version you're watching. The alternate ending could perhaps fit with how nothing goes right for Ash and the Evil Dead sequels are "scary 3 Stooges" but the theatrical ending at least gives me a sense of closure since a fourth movie, not counting the 2013 film, isn't coming out anytime soon due to underwhelming grosses. Regardless of which ending you like, the rest of Army of Darkness nevertheless remains a hilarious adventure from beginning to end.

• Oct 26, 2020

Army of Darkness was the best installment in the trilogy. The camera work and special effects were better. The cinematography was good and action scenes were furious. What made this movie different from first two was addition of humour. The story was nicely detailed. Company should have allowed the original ending. Overall, it was the best installment in the trilogy as it is filled with more details, action and horror.

• Oct 20, 2020

The Evil Dead franchise has always been a mix of the scary and the silly, but with Army of Darkness, the scales finally tip and favor the silly over the scary—and it's a lot of fun to watch. This film feels a bunch of friends got a large budget to film whatever they wanted. Plus the visual effects, while dated, are still pretty impressive. I laughed more than I screamed while watching this movie, and maybe that's why this is my favorite of the Evil Dead trilogy.

• Oct 13, 2020

A classic movie with corny lines that amuse me more each time I watch the movie again. Bruce Campbell hit it out of the park with this one.

• Aug 09, 2020

If you don't like The Army of Darkness I don't want to know you! It's my 2nd favorite movie of the Evil Dead trilogy, 1st one being The Evil Dead part 1 (the original).

• Jul 12, 2020

Realmente é bastante inferior ao antecessor. Mais PQP! esse filme é tão incrível desde a direção até o exército em Stop-motion

• Jul 10, 2020

More comedy than horror but endlessly quotable and so much fun it is a must see.

• Jun 28, 2020

First off, this review is of the original theatrical release version. "Army of Darkness" is approaching "Blade Runner" in terms of alternate versions and debates over which is the "real" version of the film. This sequel picks up right after the events of the second film where Ash found himself transported into medieval times by The Necronomicon. The Evil Dead series always had tongue firmly planted in cheek when it came to not taking itself too seriously, but each successive film became more overtly comedic and this third film is really a comedy that features some horror elements. The story is essentially Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" except instead of a refined gentlemen from New England they get the hilariously buffoonish Bruce Campbell as the wannabe hero Ash Williams. The film kicks off with Ash narrating in his mock heroic voice, "My name is Ash, and I am a sIave." From there he recaps the previous film, which was really a bigger budgeted remake of the first film. Finding himself prisoner, Ash's main goal of the film is to get back to his own time, but he finds this medieval world also terrorized by the Deadits. Since Ash happens to be an expert on Deadites from the last film he's able to bring all of his contemporary knowledge and bluster to this more quaint of time to great comedic effect. This exchange between the king and Ash pretty much sums up the tone of the film: Arthur: Are all men from the future loudmouthed braggarts? Ash: Nope. Just me, baby. Just me. Fish-out-of-water comedies are pretty hard to resist and this film is no exception. Watching Ash tell the villagers about his "Boom Stick" and then launch into an S-Mart sales pitch for his cheap shotgun is comedy gold. There's also some good physical schtick, particularly a windmill sequence that's a nice nod to Gulliver's Travels, as well as writer/director Sam Raimi's other loving homages to Ray Harryhausen with stop motion flying beasts and sword fighting skeletons. "Army of Darkness" is absolute dumb-guy humor, but it's pretty irresistible, right down to the excellent Danny Elfman theme music. While solidly low-brown, the film is also littered with funny knowing inside joke references to everything from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" to "Shakespeare." And just for fun, Bridget Fonda appears very briefly as Linda, Ash's doomed girlfriend in the opening recap of the previous film. FUN FACT! (And spoiler alert) The original ending of the film has Ash ending up in a post-apocalyptic world, lining up a Mad Max-like sequel, but the studio found that ending too depressing and ordered a reschoot with the happy ending found in the theatrical cut (which is also Evil Dead canon since that's the ending that the "Ash vs. Evil Dead" series follows).

• Jun 23, 2020

Comedic time travel story that is exactly what it sets out to be.

Comedic time travel story that is exactly what it sets out to be.