Astro Boy (AstroBoy) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Astro Boy (AstroBoy) Reviews

½ March 15, 2017
Astro Boy was created in the 1952 by the godfather, the Disney of manga and anime Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka's talent and fame led to him being admired by one Stanley Kubrick who offered him the job of production designer for his film 2001: A Space Odyssey. Tezuka turned down Kubrick's offer likely because he was too busy doing his own work...in his lifetime he drew over 150,000 pages of comics. Tezuka dies in 1989 and his final words were apparently, "I'm begging you. Let me work."
When Kubrick passed away he was close to production on the film A.I. (which was eventually directed by Stephen Spielberg) the plot of which is the Astro Boy story. A robotics scientist loses his son and builds himself a robot replacement but soon realizes that the artificial life cannot replace his son and pushes the naive robot away.
This Astro Boy film does a decent job of telling that story and does touch on the hard emotions at the beginning of the story. Much of the character design work is based off of Tezuka's original designs (including a background scientist who is modeled after Tezuka himself with his trademark beret) but strangely the characters created for this film do not look like Tezuka's style and it is off-putting, as if they are characters from a different animated film.
There are enough little easter eggs for a giant Tezuka nerd such as myself; the power source where his heart should be, the schematics and the butt machine guns, but this film will not entertain many people over 10 years old.
February 2, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
December 31, 2016
A fun US take on of the most famous icons of Japanese animation. Does a decent job at a Dreamworks-lite film for the family.
December 25, 2016
OOOOH! THE ENDING WAS SO SAD THAT ME AND MY SISTER STOPPED LIKING THIS MOVIE!
½ September 15, 2016
While Astro Boy isn't the most original of films and doesn't really do its source material justice, the film's stunning visuals, talented voice cast and an overall good blend of action, humour and drama help save the film from being overly (ahem) robotic.
July 5, 2016
The father doesnt seem to care that his son died and treats a robot who doesnt have feelings just like him!
May 5, 2016
i really want to see this
½ March 13, 2016
Película para infantes... no tengo nada en contra del cine infantil, pero no te hace falta destrozar la obra de Tezuka para hacerlo. Esto no es Astro Boy, es una ofensa.
March 12, 2016
I can't claim to have more than passing familiarity with the source material, but it's actually a surprisingly decent Western take on a very Japanese thing, and stands well on its own as a pretty damn good animation in the Western canon too. Bonus points to them for accuracy in their work for a last minute or so that goes completely, hilariously Japanese on us.
½ February 3, 2016
140320: This is a 3.5 pushing 4. What a pleasant surprise. My son wanted a new movie for Wednesday night pizza night and I found this DVD at Walmart for $5.00. Great investment. Lots of fun, action and adventure. Even had me near tears a couple times. I just loved it. Have never been a big fan of Anime so I didn't read the comic or watch the show. Knew well of Astro Boy but just never gave him a chance. Now wish I had. I'm surpised by the lower rating but believe this is a large part due to purists. I felt the same way about the X-Men. Enjoyed the films but wished they had stayed more true to the comic. So, if you're not a purist, you should have a great time.
January 20, 2016
Great cartoon and is sure to entertain non-fans or Fanboys alike.
½ January 8, 2016
One of my kids really loved this movie. It was his favorite for a while, and he watched it quite a few times. I liked it too.

There are some very emotional moments in Astro Boy, at least, for me (I teared up). This cartoon is not just mindless entertainment. There's an epic battle between positive and negative energy. Guess which energy prevails?
December 29, 2015
12/28/2015: Meh. It was ok, but nothing great or memorable about it. Absolutely no reason to watch it again.
½ December 13, 2015
One of decent US adaptations based on an Manga/Anime property and it's not as bad people make it out to be.
December 9, 2015
I don't know why, but this really didn't appeal to me
October 28, 2015
I never liked Astro Boy as a kid. I don't think this film is much better.
½ September 12, 2015
Probably not as good of a story, the animation is still an amazing piece of film. Review by Logan Cornn.
August 21, 2015
Though perhaps it didn't live up to the standards that were held by many Astro Boy fans, this heartfelt anime picture manages to tug on the heartstrings while creating a range of comedic scenarios. Freddie Highmore and Nicholas Cage try their best, but I can't help feeling as though as they were the wrong voice actors to portray such popular figures. Nevertheless, Astro Boy possesses visuals to impress most and characters that will appeal to kids. It has fun theme to it, however teens and adults won't feel as engaged as the movie's target demographic. In the end, Astro Boy is good enough, and it has a simple, well paced plot to please it's younger audiences, and create a tolerable time for it's older ones.
August 9, 2015
One lame superhero movie.
½ July 20, 2015
Half and half, but not good enough to be decent, sorry.