Astro Boy (AstroBoy) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Astro Boy (AstroBoy) Reviews

½ September 15, 2016
While Astro Boy isn't the most original of films and doesn't really do its source material justice, the film's stunning visuals, talented voice cast and an overall good blend of action, humour and drama help save the film from being overly (ahem) robotic.
July 5, 2016
The father doesnt seem to care that his son died and treats a robot who doesnt have feelings just like him!
May 5, 2016
i really want to see this
½ March 13, 2016
Película para infantes... no tengo nada en contra del cine infantil, pero no te hace falta destrozar la obra de Tezuka para hacerlo. Esto no es Astro Boy, es una ofensa.
March 12, 2016
I can't claim to have more than passing familiarity with the source material, but it's actually a surprisingly decent Western take on a very Japanese thing, and stands well on its own as a pretty damn good animation in the Western canon too. Bonus points to them for accuracy in their work for a last minute or so that goes completely, hilariously Japanese on us.
½ February 3, 2016
140320: This is a 3.5 pushing 4. What a pleasant surprise. My son wanted a new movie for Wednesday night pizza night and I found this DVD at Walmart for $5.00. Great investment. Lots of fun, action and adventure. Even had me near tears a couple times. I just loved it. Have never been a big fan of Anime so I didn't read the comic or watch the show. Knew well of Astro Boy but just never gave him a chance. Now wish I had. I'm surpised by the lower rating but believe this is a large part due to purists. I felt the same way about the X-Men. Enjoyed the films but wished they had stayed more true to the comic. So, if you're not a purist, you should have a great time.
January 20, 2016
Great cartoon and is sure to entertain non-fans or Fanboys alike.
½ January 8, 2016
One of my kids really loved this movie. It was his favorite for a while, and he watched it quite a few times. I liked it too.

There are some very emotional moments in Astro Boy, at least, for me (I teared up). This cartoon is not just mindless entertainment. There's an epic battle between positive and negative energy. Guess which energy prevails?
December 29, 2015
12/28/2015: Meh. It was ok, but nothing great or memorable about it. Absolutely no reason to watch it again.
½ December 13, 2015
One of decent US adaptations based on an Manga/Anime property and it's not as bad people make it out to be.
December 9, 2015
I don't know why, but this really didn't appeal to me
October 28, 2015
I never liked Astro Boy as a kid. I don't think this film is much better.
½ September 12, 2015
Probably not as good of a story, the animation is still an amazing piece of film. Review by Logan Cornn.
August 21, 2015
Though perhaps it didn't live up to the standards that were held by many Astro Boy fans, this heartfelt anime picture manages to tug on the heartstrings while creating a range of comedic scenarios. Freddie Highmore and Nicholas Cage try their best, but I can't help feeling as though as they were the wrong voice actors to portray such popular figures. Nevertheless, Astro Boy possesses visuals to impress most and characters that will appeal to kids. It has fun theme to it, however teens and adults won't feel as engaged as the movie's target demographic. In the end, Astro Boy is good enough, and it has a simple, well paced plot to please it's younger audiences, and create a tolerable time for it's older ones.
August 9, 2015
One lame superhero movie.
½ July 20, 2015
Half and half, but not good enough to be decent, sorry.
July 13, 2015
Kind of cool. Kind of.
June 19, 2015
This 2009 re-imagining of Japan's most beloved character Astro Boy, although fun to look at do to its color and animation, falls short on delivering a truly worthy film to the classic 1960's cartoon. The film lacks in action which you would expect a lot of if you are a fan of the original. Astro doesn't feel like his cute hug-able bad ass super hero crime fighting robot self , instead he is an overly emotional teen far too concerned with his existence
½ May 14, 2015
Boo! This movie stunk!
April 5, 2015
I played the GBA version of an Astro Boy game once. My neighbor friend seemed to be constantly playing it, and the story seemed like a cool concept. Seems even cooler now.