Autómata Reviews

• Feb 14, 2020

The film does a good job at setting up an interesting and beautiful looking world early on. Unfortunately it fails to expand upon it as the movie goes forward, falling back to a shallow and familiar narrative instead of letting loose in a sci-dystopia begging to be explored.

• Jan 05, 2020

I wanted this to be good, I really did. It had a fantastic set-up and an amazing hook, but it failed to deliver at the end. It had an amazing question and premise at the start but never answered it and ended in a horrible and lack-luster action showdown with no soul.

• Nov 29, 2019

A great film, the ying to blade runners yang. Banderas in the greatest filmrole I have seen him play. The artistry is nice, perhaps a little under played due to bugitary constraints (blade runner bombed so blame that), great cast (Darlings casting I personally cannot see past though) .Rather than blade runners murderous passoinate sexual persona cyborgs, the androids in this film are uniquely indistinct, there are no sins to account for or no possible world takeover and they will die ten a penny to prove it. If blade runner ask if cyborgs dream of electric sheep, this film questions as to why humans should dream of sheep and why such should be a cliché . The presence and purpous of Irobots superior beings is inconcequential to the question, "does your humanity mean you are alive?". Shades of Descartes are demonstrated in a setting of bleak catastrophe and the human traits that devour us. Like blade runner though, it too is an unrecognised piece of art that I summise will too be recognised "at a later date", one more into the annals of gattaca blade runner etc. 4.5 stars due to it could have been better if it had another 100m dollar to play with.

• Oct 24, 2019

Worth a watch for robots alone - design & execution great. Banderas good too. Shame confusing story & cheesy acting elsewhere let it down. But deserves better rating.

• Sep 20, 2019

I really don't understand the bad reviews of this movie. Yes, it is visually stunning, but in this day and age of nothing but superhero movies and redo's of movies from the 80's this stands out as one of the best movies in quite sometime. To understand the dichotomy between this film and what is really happening with our present technological hunger to create AI is quite frightening. I think this should be on everyone's top 10 movies to see right now.

• Mar 07, 2019

Beautiful setting and initial idea, but wow, the story is just poor and so is the acting.

• Jan 17, 2019

A lot less interesting version of I,Robot.

A lot less interesting version of I,Robot.

• Jul 30, 2018

A cross between Philip K Dick's "Blade Runner", "I, Robot" and the Twilight Zone episode called "The Lonely" released in 1959. It opens with an introduction where the ecosystem where there is a complete drought where there is 25 million humans throughout the entire world with more than enough robots to serve them. Antonio Banderas plays robot Insurance agent Jacq Vaucan investigating a small surge of robots possessing the ability to fix themselves and to consist human abilities. And as it turns out, it was soon discovered that their is a nuclear mechanism that has the ability to make that possible with Jacques searching for the clockmaker who made the device.

• Jul 14, 2018

What's the link between technology and consciousness? What happens when machines become aware of itself and surroundings? Would a machine that achieved consciousness legally liable for its actions? Ultimately would and could such a conscious machine transcend to the great I Am? This is an important film. The other important theme the strong, caring, visionary father/ spouse who must balance work with family. He receives no support from his sheepish wife. His heartfelt sacrifice is profound.

• Apr 27, 2018