Babel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babel Reviews

½ September 18, 2017
VERY VERY DEPRESSING! Sometimes these kind of movies are good but I didn't like this one.
September 6, 2017
Fantastic. this is how a story should be told. this is a rare film which is ambiguous and powerful. i couldn't keep my eyes and attention off this film i had little interest in before finally watching it.
½ August 29, 2017
If misery is your elixir, then babel is your holy grail.
½ August 26, 2017
Many interesting stories of different communities and difficulties faced around the world
½ August 24, 2017
Absolutely horrible movie. The director/writer was pervert who fantasizes about teen girls. The movie was a lesson on how to be a victim and to feel sorry for victims-not one person, except for a little boy, had enough character in the entire movie to simply accept responsibility. Horrible.
August 11, 2017
Granted, this is a good film, with some intense scenes and great shots. But I like feeling some sliver of happiness somewhere in a movie. Whether it be at the beginning, or maybe at the end, and perhaps at the end if you could. But Babel is a fucking sadhagfest. It just pissed me off.
August 4, 2017
A complex, richly layered character study as it pertains to four different storylines thrust into one. The character development was stupendous in every way. The story is based on bad decisions and heartbreak that are interwoven and connected with each character. Inarritu impresses again!
½ July 31, 2017
May not be as impressive as his most recent films since his directorial skills improved by further experiences, but Iñárritu still directed something that can still be considered a fine cinematic piece of communication at work with the same-paced plots aligning each other to demonstrate how nicely connected they are in the narration, even though some or most parts turned out to be bland and ineffective. (B)

(Full review TBD)
July 7, 2017
WOW !!! I don't know what to say. Im in shock .I've never except this movie sooo great !!! Great, just great ! Wonderful acting (my first time i've seen Brad Pitt so good) ,wonderful story , cause ist a deeply touching movie. Well deserved Oscar in the category of Filmmusik. Good Job !
June 20, 2017
This is such a difficult film to comment on. The separate plots in different countries all end up tying in together, some soon and some later. There are tense and powerful moments, but perhaps some of the earlier Japanese scenes could have been shortened. The film is inevitably depressing, examining sets of tragedies and how one person's actions can have far reaching consequences. AAN GGWD. 1001
½ April 28, 2017
One of those 'fast forward to the end' and skip all the nonsense beforehand films. Very boring and fails to ever really get going! Forgettable film
March 24, 2017
Interesting overlap of stories makes it an intriguing watch. Well directed and good performances .
March 15, 2017
The greatness of this movie is linking people from 4 different and distant countries from each other. It promotes understanding between people from all kind of backgrounds through the pain of life that we all face in our given scenario but that have an identical impact on everyone.
March 15, 2017
This is definitely one of the most impressive movies I've ever seen!!!
½ November 26, 2016
73%
Saw this on 24/11/16
The death trilogy is full of redundant themes that make it heavily monotonous. Babel starts off well, building enough tension as it moves on, but towards the end it takes a predictable and dull conclusion. The actors have performed well, but Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett are underused.
November 17, 2016
Prior to watching this film, I really wanted to like it, as a huge fan of Iñárritu's previous and modern works, I went in with high hopes, but was ultimately let down. Critically the film seems to be a hit-and-miss film, some love it, some don't, and whilst I completely respect the intricate and poignant character study that infuses the film's plot, the first two hours of the film just made for a somewhat tedious tale, trying a little too hard to connect all these stories. In my opinion the sub-plot set in Japan was completely unnecessary and wasn't needed in conjunction with the other three plots in Morocco and Mexico / America, with that removed it would have made for a much more fluid script and a movie that didn't drag out. The flaws aside, the performances are fantastic, the direction is flawless and the film has a truly gritty and realistic feel to it, and the final 20 minutes when all the stories wrap up, make for an intriguing finale, but the first couple hours just dragged on a little too long and did nothing to make me become immersed within the movie. Worth a watch, but in comparison to Iñárritu's other works, 'Babel' is subpar.
November 7, 2016
One of those films that tempt the fast forward button. Could have been handled less pretentiously. A film desperately in need of a saving grace.
November 3, 2016
Beautifully filmed, powerfully acted and with a surprisingly thoughtful story, Babel is a must-see for fans of Birdman and The Revenant.
October 28, 2016
This movie is fucked up.
½ October 25, 2016
Babel is a film that fits what I call the collage genre of film-making because it interlaces a number of different shorter stories into one film and gives some small aspect that ties them all together. In this one it's a cause-and-effect connection that I find more interesting because we get to see how the action a character does in one story impacts the next and so on down the line. The best stories in this film are the Moroccan father with his two sons, and the Mexican housekeeper. Both of those stories have a lot of complex emotional things going on and some tough decisions that the characters have to make. I like the idea of the Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett scenes, but I don't feel any chemistry between the 2 actors. Also their scenes get extremely repetitive, just more and more bickering with their tour group. I keep waiting for something new or more engaging, but I didn't get that until the very end in their story. The strangest addition to the film was the story of the sexually-repressed deaf Japanese girl. The connection to the main story was so tangential and it almost felt like her story was tacked on and given a loose association with the other stories as an excuse to fit it into the same film. There were definitely things to like in Babel, but it had just as much that I didn't like. Obviously, based on the accolades it has received, your mileage may vary.