Babel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babel Reviews

June 28, 2018
is actually crystal clear..

Babel

Starring : Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael Garcia Bernal and Rinko Kikuchi Writer : Guillermo Arriaga Director : Alejandro G. Inarritu

4 out of 5

Babel follows up four different tales that are somehow interconnected with its pragmatic and three dimensional characters, and binding it all lies a metaphorical poem that depicts the innocence, mistakes and the consequences it breeds as the next-or-any-for-that-matter generation springs. There have been plenty of such features that focuses on various sub-plots that sometimes are either connected or not connected, but this one stands alone for despite of ticking for around 140 minutes, the feature keeps the audience engaged and on the edge of the seat which is somewhat of a milestone in its own way.

The script is gripping, thought-provoking and well structured, especially its approach to the plot track, whether it be crossover or an individual, is just breath-taking. It is shot beautifully and is rich on its technical aspects like cinematography, background score, sound effects, art design and editing.

Alejandro G. Inarritu; the director, as usual doesn't disappoint on its execution, whether then it be to create complex entity among characters or emotions that pours out like rain on screen. The feature scores majestically on performance where every supporting cast- there isn't any definite protagonist in here whose story is followed, it is a plot driven feature- (Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Gael Garcia Banel) is giving its all in to factor in on the bigger picture.

Babel is actually crystal clear on its vision that it anticipated to share, and is also sharp on flaunting it through nerve fleshing visuals.
June 12, 2018
I thought that this movie sucked really bad. The movie never engaged me in any way. Also remember to beware of the hairy monster!
May 7, 2018
Though long and tiring, authentic performances and precise directing by Inarritu make this epic multi-plot worth watching.
April 10, 2018
Grandiose but to effect
April 9, 2018
What a tale of humanity. Gritty, real, no pretenses. Sorrow and then some growth.

This movie resonated so well with me. I loved the wide scope of this movie, the overarching themes of the human condition in our gradually globalizing world. The effects of our shrinking world on us.

This movie is an incredible achievement. To be able to bring this story to life, in so many different locations. That's admirable. The actors chosen for each part were brilliant. I especially loved Rinko's performance.

The soundtrack was very noticeable, in a very good way. The cinematography was also working incredibly well. Threw me into whatever scene I was seeing, immersed me into it. Conveyed the beauty.

The tale told was a very miserable one, but I felt like it was honest and true misery. Not some melodrama, it's just the reality of the world we live in. It also didn't feel like some celebration of misery. I could feel that the makers of this movie deeply understood the subjects they were tackling, and were trying to give us a clear and neutral picture of our world. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I enjoyed it immensely, and I think it's a very important movie. Highly recommend it to basically anyone.
April 2, 2018
Complex and thoughtful.
March 20, 2018
Bound to win an Oscar; its exactly the dull artsy rubbish that usually does. If you like watching paint dry, this will be right up your alley, For me it could have easily been edited to half of it's 2 hour 20 minutes and it still would have been about 1/2 an hour too long. Dull, rambling and tedious.
March 3, 2018
Like a Paul Thomas Anderson movie. But without the humour. You'll be engrossed. And you'll probably feel like crying.
February 26, 2018
An incredible film with superb acting throughout and three perfectly intertwined stories from 4 different countries connecting through a gun. Beautifully made and one of the best films I have ever seen. Sometimes a film just captivates you and you don?t want it to end. This is one of those films.
½ February 12, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Un magistral trabajo narrativo de Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu, con empatizables historias y memorables personajes.
December 25, 2017
F

8.3

[Alejandro G. Iñárritu]
December 19, 2017
In most movies, I have an issue with more than one storyline. However, in Babel, the storylines actually have a connection to each other. The first time you see it, you watch it for the entertainment. The second time, you pay close attention to every single detail of the movie.This movie has you gripping your chair. It has you crying. It has you nervous. This movie makes you feel a variety of emotions, as well as admire the story's creativeness.
½ September 18, 2017
VERY VERY DEPRESSING! Sometimes these kind of movies are good but I didn't like this one.
September 6, 2017
Fantastic. this is how a story should be told. this is a rare film which is ambiguous and powerful. i couldn't keep my eyes and attention off this film i had little interest in before finally watching it.
½ August 29, 2017
If misery is your elixir, then babel is your holy grail.
½ August 26, 2017
Many interesting stories of different communities and difficulties faced around the world
½ August 24, 2017
Absolutely horrible movie. The director/writer was pervert who fantasizes about teen girls. The movie was a lesson on how to be a victim and to feel sorry for victims-not one person, except for a little boy, had enough character in the entire movie to simply accept responsibility. Horrible.
August 11, 2017
Granted, this is a good film, with some intense scenes and great shots. But I like feeling some sliver of happiness somewhere in a movie. Whether it be at the beginning, or maybe at the end, and perhaps at the end if you could. But Babel is a fucking sadhagfest. It just pissed me off.
August 4, 2017
A complex, richly layered character study as it pertains to four different storylines thrust into one. The character development was stupendous in every way. The story is based on bad decisions and heartbreak that are interwoven and connected with each character. Inarritu impresses again!
½ July 31, 2017
May not be as impressive as his most recent films since his directorial skills improved by further experiences, but Iñárritu still directed something that can still be considered a fine cinematic piece of communication at work with the same-paced plots aligning each other to demonstrate how nicely connected they are in the narration, even though some or most parts turned out to be bland and ineffective. (B)

(Full review TBD)