Babel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babel Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
Babel is a film that fits what I call the collage genre of film-making because it interlaces a number of different shorter stories into one film and gives some small aspect that ties them all together. In this one it's a cause-and-effect connection that I find more interesting because we get to see how the action a character does in one story impacts the next and so on down the line. The best stories in this film are the Moroccan father with his two sons, and the Mexican housekeeper. Both of those stories have a lot of complex emotional things going on and some tough decisions that the characters have to make. I like the idea of the Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett scenes, but I don't feel any chemistry between the 2 actors. Also their scenes get extremely repetitive, just more and more bickering with their tour group. I keep waiting for something new or more engaging, but I didn't get that until the very end in their story. The strangest addition to the film was the story of the sexually-repressed deaf Japanese girl. The connection to the main story was so tangential and it almost felt like her story was tacked on and given a loose association with the other stories as an excuse to fit it into the same film. There were definitely things to like in Babel, but it had just as much that I didn't like. Obviously, based on the accolades it has received, your mileage may vary.
October 24, 2016
Prior to watching this film, I really wanted to like it, as a huge fan of Iñárritu's previous and modern works, I went in with high hopes, but was ultimately let down. Critically the film seems to be a hit-and-miss film, some love it, some don't, and whilst I completely respect the intricate and poignant character study that infuses the film's plot, the first two hours of the film just made for a somewhat tedious tale, trying a little too hard to connect all these stories. In my opinion the sub-plot set in Japan was completely unnecessary and wasn't needed in conjunction with the other three plots in Morocco and Mexico / America, with that removed it would have made for a much more fluid script and a movie that didn't drag out. The flaws aside, the performances are fantastic, the direction is flawless and the film has a truly gritty and realistic feel to it, and the final 20 minutes when all the stories wrap up, make for an intriguing finale, but the first couple hours just dragged on a little too long and did nothing to make me become immersed within the movie. Worth a watch, but in comparison to Iñárritu's other works, 'Babel' is subpar.
October 18, 2016
Similar in the way it was shot to 21 grams. Story going back and forth out of a traditional order of showing scenes. Interesting story and great music.
½ October 17, 2016
Beautifully filmed, powerfully acted and with a surprisingly thoughtful story, Babel is a must-see for fans of Birdman and The Revenant.
October 4, 2016
In case crash wasn't cliche enough
September 26, 2016
Breathtaking and skillfully put together by Iñárritu and his cast. Stayed with me for several days after the initial viewing. Not exciting or dramatic, simply thought provoking and moving,
September 18, 2016
"Babel" has some weak links, but very few filmmakers can craft such a compelling, audacious, multi-cultural film as Iñárritu does here.
½ September 6, 2016
Following four sets of characters, each from different parts of the globe and ethnic backgrounds, "Babel" is an undoubtably ambitious interwoven drama.
July 6, 2016
It all works a little too well, maybe. The pieces fit together too tightly. Still, the heart of this film is a gusher in a good way. I guess the best thing to say is that most views can find at least one character with whom to connect and one character from whom to learn. Otherwise, the technical and artistic merits are worth a look, if nothing else.
½ May 30, 2016
One of Inarritu's finest earlier works, Babel succeeds as a drama with a real human heart, and gets its message across easily. It requires patience to watch, but is a must-see for film buffs.
April 30, 2016
Babel is the third and final chapter in Alejandro G. Iñárritu's loose trilogy of films with interlocking stories and characters and while I haven't yet seen the previous two; I do hope they're not as pretentious and plodding as this film is. The film follows four separate tales of misfortune starting with two children in Morocco who randomly shoot at a bus and injure an American woman played by Cate Blanchett, whose husband, played by Brad Pitt has to then contact his Mexican nanny to take care of his children while he helps his wife, and then we meet a deaf/mute, Japanese teenager whose father technically got the entire ball rolling, but it honestly doesn't connect much more than that. This film clearly had good intentions and you can see the craftsmanship behind the camera, but its story is told so slowly and most of the characters are either unlikable or make the stupidest decisions possible, that it becomes hard to care about these people at all. The best (and strangely least connected) story about the oppressed, deaf/mute teenager in Japan breathes a bit of life into the proceedings and the direction of her scenes is flawless, but it too, also becomes one-note after a while. The film is acted well by everyone involved and it is by no means a "bad" movie, but it's a bit forgettable once all is said and done and it doesn't have as much to say about society as it thinks it does; the grim portrait it paints of the world uses VERY broad strokes.
April 24, 2016
A great we-are-all-connected type story. you would think, with its long runtime that it would drag, but it keeps fixated throughout. Fantastic performances all around.
April 17, 2016
Being a fan of Alejandro González Iñárritu's work, I was very excited to see Babel. Mr. Iñárritu is clearly fascinated by the concept of interconnected lives, how people of vastly disparate lives can still have the most profound impacts upon each other. The movie may be looked at, therefore, as an extrapolation of his previous effort 21 Grams, in which 3 stories taking place in the United States were interwoven. In Babel, we have 4 stories, taking place in 3 countries. There's some great acting from the principle cast, and some moment s of genuine beauty, emotion, surprise and intrigue. But the film is near-crippled by its excessive length and lack of real development on 21 Grams, which is a much better effort, carrying more emotional resonance and much less self-conscious stylishness. There's large chunks which could have been cut without anything being sacrificed, and some of the connections between the storylines are so tenuous that they carry almost no weight at all. It's certainly an interesting film, and Iñárritu's flair for cinema is apparent. The problem is not that it's a weak offering, its simply that, over the course of his career, he's given us so much better.
March 29, 2016
The humanity in this movie is overwhelming, the music is perfect, the storytelling original, the different characters real and charming, the anguish and the pain are palpable.
½ March 21, 2016
The barriers between rich and poor, west and east, the struggles within our mankind over borders and barriers. Complexed and difficult the communication and understanding of our innermost values and needs.
½ March 12, 2016
Iñárritu weaves together four seemingly disparate stories that link somewhat incidentally (but also consequentially). Each tale is filled with tension as characters engage in actions that you know they should not - that could and sometimes will end badly. Beginning in Morocco, we see two kids playing with a high powered rifle. Enough said. Then, in San Diego, a Mexican nanny needs to go to her son's wedding but her employers forbade her to go, leading her to take their kids to Mexico with her. Uh-oh. Back in Morocco, tourist Cate Blanchett is accidentally shot through the window of the bus she and Brad Pitt are travelling in. Damn. Finally, deaf-mute Rinko Kikuchi gradually unravels in Tokyo trying to cope with the suicide of her mother and just plain being a teenage girl. Hmmmm. Although each tale on its own is rather gripping, well shot, and well acted, the sum of the parts does not entirely cohere. Sure, you could draw parallels if you made the effort, but it shouldn't be this unclear. Drawing from the title, one could probably conclude that the message of the film is that communication between humans is inevitably problematic, both across and within cultures. No kidding.
½ February 16, 2016
these original ideas , which are not complex , but with the direction esxcelnte make a work of art .
February 7, 2016
Feels unorganized and disjointed, the characters aren't too memorable, and it "goes to far" in a few places, although it is an interesting Window into an unusual world.
½ January 31, 2016
La fusion de todas las historias conmueve, un desenlace diverso para cada una, con un dolor latente en todas.
January 29, 2016
Every time I see it the impact remains the same! Powerful film. The Moroccan teenagers really makes me cry!