Bait Reviews

• 6d ago

for as stupid as this was, i actually really liked it. i've got a thing for giant shark movies.

• Jul 19, 2019

The movie barley stook to it's shark theme and isn't worth what was spent on it

The movie barley stook to it's shark theme and isn't worth what was spent on it

• May 07, 2019

Awesome shark movie with gory scenes

Awesome shark movie with gory scenes

• Feb 27, 2019

Most Shark Movie's I've seen so Far Are actually the Worst and Crap and Some other Shark Movie's are Actually Pretty Good, I don't Consider Bait a Terrible Shark Movie I've Seen though But I also don't Think This Is the Best Shark Movie I've Ever seen Either

• Dec 25, 2018

It's rubbish, obviously. But it's entertaining enough rubbish of you approach it with zero expectations. It's a film about a shark in a supermarket so it's hardly going to be visual art. For film nerds, I'm sure that the head in the car park is modeled exactly on the one that falls out of the boat in Jaws. For that alone it gets a star.

• Dec 17, 2018

This is really a bad movie under any aspect

This is really a bad movie under any aspect

• Nov 03, 2018

Aunt enjoyed it, not me.

Aunt enjoyed it, not me.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Oct 05, 2018

I guess you could say I'm running the gamut here in this horror fest. We've already had possession movies, ghost movies, survival movies and now we come to the shark movie. I may have mentioned this in a review before or not, but I'm not exactly the best swimmer. In fact, I actually can't swim at all. And this is considering the fact that I went to a private school that had a pool and I took some swimming classes for a year. Actually, and this is a secret, so don't tell anybody but the entire internet, I almost drowned once when I was a kid. I live on a tropical island and I rarely go to the beach. And when I do go to the beach, I don't go in past the shallow end. I guess the almost drowning seemed to have some sort of effect on me. That's why if I was to be the main character of a shark horror movie, the movie would just be me watching videos on YouTube while some news report plays in the background about some shark attacks. In all seriousness though, the shark subgenre is quite populated to say the least and, unless it's a movie made by The Asylum (makers of the "classic" Sharknado franchise and other assorted shark movies), once you see a shark movie, you've seen them all. I mean, realistically speaking, you can't actually do much with a shark movie. Unless, again, like The Asylum, you throw all logic and actual physics out the window and you do something completely over-the-top and ridiculous. If you're making a straightforward shark movie, however, it's gonna be very difficult to stand out. Particularly when, to some, the best shark movie (Jaws, duh) has already been made. Essentially, much like The Exorcist has done for possession movies, you're just trying to compete with the top dog, as it were. I greatly enjoyed Jaws, even if I wouldn't say it was great, and (to me) it is still the best movie in its subgenre. And, realistically speaking, if you were expecting this to come close to that, then you were just being delusional. Having said all of that, for what I was expecting (a cheap, low-budget horror movie), I came away pleasantly surprised by this movie. I mean, that's not to say that I would say that this is a good movie. I don't feel it comes close to that, but this is a perfectly decent shark movie all things considered. It's not gonna change the world or revolutionize horror, but it does provide precisely what most people want when they go into this movie. And that is some shark gore. We definitely get some good, practical gore from this movie. Yet, at the same time, it almost feels as if the movie is fighting with itself on this regard. What I mean by that is that this feels like a movie that probably wasn't meant to have any gore, but they just added it in because they had to. And, I don't know, I could feel that struggle when watching some of these gorier scenes. Another issue is, to me, the CGI. What I mean by this is that there were three animatronic sharks used while filming and, yet, for its majority, the film made use of CGI. I normally wouldn't have a problem with this, but there's such a major disparity in terms of the CG and how the animatronics look that it's a little bit jarring to jump back and forth between the two. And I know that the budget, seemingly, negated the use of the animatronics for the entirety of filming, but there's still a disconnect between the CG and the animatronic sharks. The plot is simple, a group of characters, some in the store itself and others in the parking garage when a tsunami hits. Both places are, mostly, flooded as the characters are able to stand on shelves and/or cars. Regardless, they come to find out that there's two great white sharks (one in the parking garage and one in the store) in the water and, essentially, that's the entire movie. It's about these people finding a way to survive this and to get out of the supermarket in order to be rescued. There's nothing that you really haven't seen anywhere before in this movie, but I had absolutely no problem with anything that I saw. There's even some funny moments with Kyle and his girlfriend. Other than that, there's minimal character work. Yet, in spite of that, most of these people are relatively likable. Which, quite frankly, surprised the hell out of me. I say this because, more often than not, people in these types of movies act like nothing more than this film's title. They're just bait for the villain, whoever (or whatever) it may be, to murder. I don't wanna say that you come to care about these people, but one is more invested in their plight than one would reasonably expect. Having said that, there's really not that much to this movie in the long run. It's just a regular shark movie and it doesn't really provide anything new or that interesting. Nobody is ever gonna think that this is a better movie than Jaws. I mean, I'm certain that there's SOMEONE out there that thinks this, but they're just weird people that probably voted for Trump. The acting is inconsistent. It's not bad, it's not good, but it's somewhere in between. Though, the guy who plays Kirby is just awful. He's entertaining in how awful he is, but he's still just awful. I don't know if it's because this guy, Dan Wylie, is really that bad or if he was told to ham it up in the worst way possible, but he felt at odds with the rest of the cast. I don't wanna say the rest of the cast took it 'seriously', because while it's not as comedic as, say, Shaun of the Dead, this movie obviously doesn't take itself too seriously nor does it have delusions of grandeur. The point is that the rest of the cast doesn't ham it up as much as this guy does, so I don't know why, if this was the direction he was given, why he'd be the only one to do this. This is what leads me to believe that he was just an awful actor. I don't know, it is what it is. I don't know what else you want me to say about this movie. I feel like I've covered everything and I'm tired. So this is where it ends. There's obviously nothing that's good about this movie. It doesn't stand out in any way, but I think it is a decent B-tier shark movie. Nothing that you need to go out of your way to see, but a movie that's perfectly watchable and it won't make you pull your hair out. That's about the best thing I can say about this.

• Apr 12, 2018

Despite a few nail-biting moments and a couple of solid casting choices, Bait fails to live up to the expectations of a potentially spine-chill thriller, wasting its interesting premise with useless plot twists, incoherent dialogues and undeveloped characters.

• Aug 02, 2017

Frankly I do not see what everyone is saying about Bait. It is a very entertaining film with enough humor to balance out it's seriousness. The actors do a top notch performance when portraying their characters. How can this movie score a 47% by critics and a 28% percent bu it's audience when a trashy movie like the shallows earns a 77% from critics and a 59% by fans. The cinematography and CGI in this film were perfect and the deaths were very entertaining.