Ball of Fire Reviews

• Nov 15, 2020

Gary Cooper is one of those men who's sweet and sexy. It sneaks up on you in this movie while Barbara Stanwyck's sexy from her first appearance and the sweet comes later. Both are among the best actors ever to appear on-screen. Like some other films, such as "Sabrina," wish I could see it for the first time again.

• Nov 05, 2020

I can't think of a movie with Gary Cooper I didn't like. Even if you don't feel the same way, this is a great script by Billy Wilder and this movie is still funny eighty years after it was made.

• Aug 23, 2020

Ball of Fire is an excellent film. It is about a group of professors working on a new encyclopedia who encounter a mouthy nightclub singer. Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Howard Hawks did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance.

• Jul 22, 2020

The script is weak but Stanwyck saves it.

The script is weak but Stanwyck saves it.

• Apr 27, 2020

I have an entire theory about movies and their remakes. It all started with Infernal Affairs and The Departed, when I realized that most people who had seen Infernal Affairs first preferred it over The Departed, and vice versa. This first-watched primacy becomes increasingly more powerful based on how similar the two movies are to one another. All of this is to defend the reason that I found Ball of Fire so underwhelming. Less than six months ago, I sat down to watch A Song is Born and found it to be a fun little film that was well worth watching. Then, a couple days ago, I tried watching Ball of Fire and it didn’t take long for me to realize that this is the same movie. It’s so blatantly a carbon copy that I feel like Howard Hawks must have been rewatching Ball of Fire every night when filming A Song is Born so that he could make scenes feel exactly the same. There are many lines that are unchanged, every single plot point is identical, shot selection is similar, even some of the physical gestures that the actors make appear the same. I wish I could evaluate Ball of Fire fairly on its own merits, but it felt a lot like I was watching a rerun, which is a shame since this one came first. I will readily admit that Barbara Stanwyck is a much better actress than Virginia Mayo, but at the same time I’d take Danny Kaye over Gary Cooper any day. The one big difference between the two films is that A Song is Born leaned a bit more into the musical aspect of the story. There are a number of fun musical numbers in that film, where this movie only has a couple. However, I did find some of those songs to be a distraction from the plot, so I think Ball of Fire was much more effective at following the narrative. In fact, if I were to wait long enough and wanted to revisit one of these movies, I have a feeling Ball of Fire might be the one that would appeal to me more since it maintains focus on the plot a little better (as long as I’m willing to sit through a Gary Cooper performance again.) I feel bad, because there’s nothing inherently wrong with Ball of Fire, and it’s a film I could see myself recommending to others. Honestly, it falls short only because it was late to the party.

• Apr 04, 2020

i love the movie just wish I could find it online to watch it.

i love the movie just wish I could find it online to watch it.

• Nov 30, 2019

Stanwyck is sexy as hell and supporting actors playing professors are great.

Stanwyck is sexy as hell and supporting actors playing professors are great.

• Aug 17, 2019

Like Hawks' similarly screwy HIS GIRL FRIDAY from the previous year, the film is bug-eyed in focus with two very different worlds at work: The first, and marvelously entertaining thanks to a murderer's row of character actors, is a retread in large part of THE SEVEN DWARVES, much fresher in audience's minds in 1941, with the mythical little people replaced by wryly absentminded egghead caricatures—and I say that as something of an egghead caricature myself—while the second portion is more straightforward romcom, less successful due to the poorly cast leads (the gag of Cooper playing against type just doesn't have the punch it might have had at the time).

• Aug 01, 2019

A Blobbo favorite from olden days.

A Blobbo favorite from olden days.

• Jul 16, 2019

Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck make a memorable couple in this 40s rom-com.

Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck make a memorable couple in this 40s rom-com.