Bamboozled - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bamboozled Reviews

July 8, 2016
Despite the critics is a masterpiece. A Powerful, deep and acid tragicomedy.
½ June 22, 2016
Director Spike Lee attempts to show the dark history of blackface minstrel shows by showing it in a modern light. Damon Wayans portrays a black TV writer that changes his name and manner of acting to seem "more white." He thinks that if he proposes this modern blackface minstrel show it will bomb the TV network but instead the network and audience love it. There are plenty of old minstrel show relics and Spike Lee really shoves the history in your face in this one, trying to make "too much" of a point. An effective job by Jada Pinkett Smith in this film as Wayans's assistant, but the rest of the film is pretty flat.
May 29, 2016
Here, Spike Lee redoes Lumet's Network. It's good, but it lacks the subtlety of Network so he ends up repeating himself over and over.
April 26, 2016
Like Lee's earlier film Jungle Fever, this satirical look at show business focuses on the controversial instead of relying on its already provided irony. Lee's worst attempt yet.
February 9, 2016
interesting pic and another good joint from spike lee
½ October 18, 2015

Pierre Delacroix is an African American television series writer that feels underappreciated and that he hasn't been given his "big chance." He writes a satire of African Americans that depicts them like they were on television in the 20-30s. The idea initially seems horrible but takes off in popularity. It begins making the African American's in the show feel uncomfortable and awkward.

"The Bomb makes me want to get my freak on."

Spike Lee, director of Do the Right Thing, X, School Daze, Inside Man, 25th Hour, She Hate Me, Summer of Sam, He Got Game, Clockers, and She Gotta Gave It, delivers Bamboozled. The storyline for this picture is weird and socially awkward (which is what Lee was going for). The acting is actually pretty good and they deliver believable performances. The cast includes Damon Wayans, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mos Def, Paul Mooney, Michael Rapaport, Savion Glover, Tommy Davidson, and Gillian White.

"There's a black sheep in everyone's family."

This was recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd it off Showtime. This was just okay and a bit cliché in a lot of ways. The concept was clever and there are some good lessons in here, but the film goes back and forth from serious to satire and I didn't feel it really worked. Overall, I'd probably skip this.

"We have deodorant...might be able to use some more though..."

Grade: C
August 10, 2015
Another interesting Spike Lee commentary ruined by his trademark terrible endings.
July 22, 2015
Strong, politically charged / important film that starts off strong and rattles to pieces by the end. I get Lee's point, but the resolution is incredibly heavy-handed.
½ July 12, 2015
Certainly provocative film that should be examined in American literature class.
½ March 2, 2015
There's a really great movie buried in Spike Lee's Bamboozled, one that can make Americans confront their inherent and historic racism and intolerance, but alas, Lee seems unable to use the surgical knife required instead of the bludgeon he used to force this awareness. Laudably, he even showed a little sensitivity to feminist issues (which is really just one face of the same "-ism" coin) but the general topic of prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination is so thoroughly engrained in every fiber of America that "Less is More" should have been Lee's guiding directorial philosophy to more succintly make his point.
½ January 6, 2015
Franchement, en l'état final, Bamboozled est loin d'être un chef d'oeuvre. En revanche, c'est très probablement le film-somme de l'oeuvre de Spike Lee, son projet le plus ambitieux à ce moment-là de sa carrière. Bamboozled n'est pas un film à part entière. C'est plutôt un cri de rage pendant 2h15 où le réalisateur américain enchaîne les scuds sur la TV américaine, sur le gangsta rap pseudo-conscient, sur les marques de streetwear, sur la publicité et sur le système en général. Il le fait de sa manière si particulière, sans aucune subtilité, tout en jouant avec la technique (le film est tourné en DV, mais Spike Lee s'accorde quelques écarts pour quelques séquences décisives). Damon Wayans, Tommy Davidson et surtout Mos Def sont excellents.
August 26, 2014
The feature presentation today will be the film Bamboozled starring Damon Wayans in one heck of a Spike Lee Joint. Bamboozled is said to be a satire, but I really did not see it that way. I found Bamboozled to be a dark ironic comedy that taps into characterization, society, media ethics, and racial issues. The film opens up with an introduction to Delacoix (Wayans), a brilliant writer and executive for a television company with an ignorant boss Dunwitty (Michael Rapaport). Vexed by the rejections of his ideas for a television show, Delacoix concocts a scheming plan to go down and take boss with him and end stereotype. His idea is for a television show that will reintroduce the blackface to audience to cause an outcry, but oh boy does this plan backfire. Yes, Bamboozled is very heavy handed, but I actually recommend this film if you have never seen a Spike Lee Joint. I found Wayansâ(TM)s performance to be excellent along with a few cast members, but Paul Mooney was strongest out of the entire supporting cast and dramatic foil. Bamboozled is to be watched with caution. It is a pretty ugly flick.
July 2, 2014
I wish I could get this movie on Blu-ray or iTunes . I enjoyed it.
½ March 19, 2014
I have been very impressed with your work so far but sorry spike this one just dosen't cut it. The pace of the film was let me say awful and unlike his other films had no reason to move slow. I went into this film with high hopes and was let down big time. The plot and acting itself is very good but spike lee just didnt plan the storyline well enough. a 0.5/5 for me
February 19, 2014
Warning this film is racist, and even caught me off guard even while I was expecting it. I guess in its context of what Spike was trying to make a statement about it is a good film. The problem is that the film is a counter-cinema picture so it is just all over the place and doesnt really have much of a Hollywood story structure. It is just too shocking to take all of it in in the end. I will say that the ending montage was amazing though.
½ January 29, 2014
Although it seems a little too cheesy at times, it would be a mistake to overlook this film as an incoherent mess. The message of the film is clear, and it seems that most of everything in the film is contributing to that message in one way or another.
½ December 16, 2013
one of the most boring films ive seen, the messages are so blatant and in your face that any charm or entertainment is quickly buried underneath.
October 12, 2013
The best part about this movie is at the near end where Spike Lee uses clips of how African-Americans were badly depicted in movies and cartoons. He really knows how to touch a nerve; and I mean that in a good way.
October 12, 2013
August 18, 2013
I remember there being some clever stuff in here, but I also recall it being an uncomfortable watch (in a bad way)