Barry Reviews

• Nov 03, 2020

The movie is a lost and wandering as the main character, Barry. Could have been so much more, but it just felt unfinished or at least, not fully developed. Definitely a Netflix type of movie.

• Jul 17, 2020

Interesting, powerful and well acted, I just wish it wasn't so speculative.

Interesting, powerful and well acted, I just wish it wasn't so speculative.

• Feb 07, 2020

A decent biopic that is part of American history.

A decent biopic that is part of American history.

• Sep 03, 2019

Better than I thought. Main actor looked and sounded very similar to Barack.

Better than I thought. Main actor looked and sounded very similar to Barack.

• Apr 14, 2019

I'm not clear why this film was so disliked. Terrell's work in this film is nothing short of astounding.

• Apr 06, 2019

Filmmaker: "I wanna make a movie about Barack Obama, but I only wanna cover the most boring aspect of his life: his slightly frustrating college years! And don't worry, I'll make sure it's aimless, bland and lacking in perspective so people can leave the movie completely unenlightened and unchallenged." Netflix: "Perfect! We'll take anything!"

• Oct 20, 2018

Written review forthcoming. If Rotten Tomatoes didn't aggregate audience feedback differently than they do for professional reviewers I'd give he movie 3.5 - 4 four stars. A high 7 to a strong 8 / 10. Final score. Remember, the tomatometer simply shows how many of the consensus critcs like or recommend the film. It doesn't show how, or if, any of them have rated the film. Many writers understandably eschew the temptation to assign films a numerical value... Given how inconsostent, unclear, even nebulous their application can be. One wonders what info or value is indicated by my 8 out of 10 i.e. 80% rating for this Barry Obama biopic. Again, y'all have to stay tuned to find out. Implied by the aforementioned (very first) sentence: this is just a teaser ^_^

• Oct 13, 2018

Strengths: It says something about this movie that I totally forgot it was about Barack Obama before I saw it and it never forced me to remember it. They didn't beat you over the head with tons of clues or nods towards one day being the President. Devon Terrell (Barack "Barry" Obama) does a great job as the lead. He has the charisma that you'd expect from Obama, while also managing to infuse his performance with the uncertainty of how he feels in this world. Anya Taylor-Joy (Charlotte Baughman) continues to do well in everything I see her in. The character was likable and her chemistry with Terrell was strong. Focusing on a single year allows this to work as a character study rather than something on a bigger scale. It keeps the story tidy and gives Barry a fantastic arc. The fact that he ends the film finally answering the question that plagued him throughout the story (Where are you from?) shows how much he grew. He's ready to move on and take steps towards doing something great with his life. Weaknesses: While I appreciated how this was kept within a certain scope, it does feel lacking. A movie about Barack Obama could be massive, so I'm sure we'll get a bigger one at some point in the future. The film does beat the same drum a bit too often. Obviously, Barry's struggles with racism would be a major part, but they harp on it in nearly every scene and it becomes a big redundant. Overall: Choosing the smaller scale for this was both a positive and a negative. This movie has enough strength in the performances to keep it on the good side and provides an interesting looking at a young Barack Obama.

• Jul 11, 2018

Not bad, but not as accurate as I would want a time-span movie about a historical figure.

• Jun 02, 2018

Unlike your standard Oliver Stone president movie, Barry takes a very specific look at just one year in Obama's life, his arrival in New York and first year in Columbia University. Because of this, you really don't get a big picture look at his youth like you might have hoped. You do get a more intimate look at him though. Even without the Obama angle, it's an interesting character piece about a mixed-race man in the 80s with a diverse background finding his place. The fact that you know this man becomes the president just adds another level of intrigue to the whole thing. It's a smaller movie, and it's not perfect, but it's interesting and emotional and it works.