Basquiat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basquiat Reviews

October 24, 2016
Love how they nail Warhol and use Hopper to maximum effect in a CREEPY offbeat way.
½ September 19, 2016
as obviously flawed and ham-handed as it is, i still sort of love this movie. the general story and the factual esotericia sprinkled throughout overrides most of the awkwardness. showed it to the kids this weekend, which worked out much better than I feared.
June 4, 2016
One of the more unique films I've seen; it's a movie about an artist and art in general, that genuinely feels like art.
May 25, 2016
Una mirada de cerca a un genio del arte. Hay que verla por David Bowie en el papel del iconico Andy Warhol.
May 14, 2016
awesome bio-pic of sorts of the talented artist played spot on by Jeffrey Wright
½ January 25, 2016
Oh, the 90s. A time when being insufferably self-righteous about your art in lieu of all else was the only way to be. "Basquiat" over simplifies some very human issues in favor of deifying the plight of the struggling artist. A ham-fisted and emotionally simplistic takedown of fame and success. Bowie and Del Toro are great, though.
January 11, 2016
Basquiat the movie has such a great cast telling the story of my favourite artist of all time. The best thing is that a lot of the actors knew Basquiat, Warhol and the other characters in real life, so you know you?re getting an authentic portrayal of real events! Brilliant!
½ September 4, 2015
A compelling and almost psychedelic story of an iconic artist's rise and fall that fittingly is a work of art itself.
½ April 27, 2015
Wright carries this film and he carries it well.
April 8, 2015
Shallow, disappointing treatment with great cameos and supporting roles; as with other American biopics, seems to be obsessed with the process of becoming famous, and mostly disinterested in the subject itself or the art world. Just chunks through plot points mechanically without a strong perspective. I understand this director hasn't done many films like this but it reminded me of other overrated and horribly underdeveloped films like "Chaplin."
November 9, 2014
A captivating portrait of one of americas greatest artists. David Bowies performances with Dennis Hopper are legendary.
October 26, 2014
????????? ??????? ??????? ? ??????????????, ???????? ?????????????? ?????????????? ?????? ? ????????? ????-?????? ??????.
½ March 11, 2014
A compelling tales of my favorite painter with a cast of the artist's friends along for the ride. The transition from rags to riches is evident during the gallery scene where famous spectators move in and old friends seem to deteriorate. Great storytelling that deserved a more elaborate ending.
January 31, 2014
My problem with this movie is art. People rave about what a genius the artists are, but it is so open to interpretation. Seeing the art in the movie I didn't really notice any genius to it. Which made me care less about the character. I found his tragedy no more moving than many I've seen.
January 16, 2014
A good film about the young & unpolished artist Jean Michel Basquiat. It's well done, well acted & beautifully shot. Good film.
December 7, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
August 13, 2013
Love this one..always..
August 2, 2013
David Bowie was brilliant as Andy Warhol. He made the movie for me.