The Beach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beach Reviews

September 9, 2016
It has a lot to say to can't seem to focus on a clear vision or way of laying itself out. The early Dany Boyle film looks and feels unique, but that quality becomes less appealing as the film goes on and the characters we're presented become less sympathetic with each poor decision they make. The acting is decent, but the script needed some work in terms of character development. It thinks it's more cleve than it is.
½ August 7, 2016
It was well acted and very entertaining. I loved it.
½ August 3, 2016
pretty intense movie about the obsession to keep something hidden. I liked it.
½ May 27, 2016
Watched this on 27/5/16
Clearly one of the most underrated movies I have ever seen. This is one of the finest films from Boyle and far better than many of his acclaimed ones. I expected silly teenage stuff from The Beach and I was taken aback by the power of story telling. DiCaprio gives an underaprreciated performance in this film which is about a descent into madness, the existence of a beautiful paradise and the effects it would have on its inhabitants. The film's themes of selfishness, self-indulgence and excessive struggle to keep the secrecy of the paradise are too strong and this film like its novel is similar to Lord of the Flies. I find the themes better executed than in films such as Apocalypse Now.
April 16, 2016
Partes boas e partes ruins, ainda não sei se gostei do filme ou não. A proposta da comunidade vivendo fora da civilização é boa, mas a dependência dela das modernidades é muito bizarra. Ponto positivo pra sequencia meio videogame do protagonista se aventurando pela selva.
March 28, 2016
Leonardo Di Caprio is the only reason to see this movie because it's his vehicle. It also has beautiful scenery. The movie is entertaining from beginning to end because of Leonardo Di Caprio and the fact everyone is trapped on an island away from the world.
½ March 26, 2016
Sure its a bit messy and the performances are questionable (but to be honest the actors did have a hard script to work with)
But The Beach is a really exciting movie with really cool cinematography and good suspence and thrills.
½ February 22, 2016
Try to think of a more pathetic main character.
February 15, 2016
One of the best books and movies of all times for backpackers. If you don't understand it, that's ok, you are not one of us.
February 8, 2016
I love it and not only because Leo DiCaprio is starring.
January 31, 2016
An all time classic in my opinion. One of Leo's best films. Epic journey of finding something new and taking a chance.
½ January 30, 2016
Actually a well-made movie despite critics saying otherwise. I found the story interesting. (First and only viewing - 1/30/2016)
½ January 28, 2016
Despite its negative reviews, the presence of Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead and Danny Boyle as the director made The Beach notorious enough to warrant my viewing.

From the instant the film begins, The Beach progresses at a fast pace. It aimlessly moves through a lot of beautiful scenery while it loosely puts together some kind of a story which has elements of adventure, drama and psychological thrills, yet it never settles on any. There is a constant tonal inconsistency in The Beach because the story keeps on changing path in the most ridiculous of fashions. The story itself isn't confusing, but why somebody saw fit to write something this ridiculous most certainly is. There is consistently a sense of mystery in the air of The Beach that leaves a premise of unpredictability, and this certainly manages to give the film a level of intrigue to keep viewers watching. But the more the film wades through all kinds of genres and unexpected plot points, the more senseless it becomes.
The Beach is a film clearly limited by its media form. Many have told me that the source novel to The Beach is an engaging piece, but I have never had a chance to read it. The complex feeling of being on a secluded beach island would be far clearer in a first-person form available by means of a written text, so it is instead left to the visual experience. Admittedly Danny Boyle does have a stylish flair for crafting atmosphere, but in terms of creating a promising narrative, his role in The Beach proves far from structurally sound.
At first, The Beach feels like an old-fashioned adventure film. Since the premise depicts a young American journeying to Bangkok and later finding himself on an adventure to a mysterious island, and the scenery provides a beautiful front for all this. There is a lot of imagery to appreciate in The Beach due to on-location scenery, as well as the cinematography. Thanks to the work of Darius Khondji, The Beach is an appropriately large-scale spectacle of tropical life at some moments and a claustrophobic thriller at others thanks to his tenacious technique. So there are certainly capabilities that The Beach captures as a film it cannot as a novel. However, Danny Boyle's skill with style can only keep viewers distracted for so long before they realize that the story is taking an incoherent path one minute or a generic one the next. By the end of the film, The Beach ends at an abrupt conclusion where everything goes back to normal for the protagonist and many of the other characters although we are left with the idea that the horror he has experienced have left him shocked forever. To end such a twisted and unpredictable story on a note this mind-numbing and predictable is such a cop out, but it also matches the mediocre standards of the rest of the film. Reflecting on the film and attempting to decipher precisely what I had watched, I hardly felt like there was much of an actual path within the narrative because every time the genre or setting changed it just became disjointed. Frankly, The Beach is a film which requires viewers not to think deeply about it if they hope to enjoy the experience.
The one-non visual trait that The Beach gains momentum from the is the power of its music. There are times that the musical score in The Beach almost alludes to some of the tracks from the cult classic television series Twin Peaks (1990-1991). Having later found out that they both shared a composer in Angelo Badalamenti, The Beach just proves that the man has lost none of his signature style. Though John Cale and Brian Eno also make contributions, the work of Angelo Badelamenti remains a reminder of his extensive talents.
However, the same cannot be said about the lead actor of The Beach as Leonardo DiCaprio is far from his finest. In one of his first major post-Titanic (1997) appearances, The Beach seems to be focused on using the least of the man's skills to appeal too his "Leo-mania" fanbase. Most of the film consists of random moments where he freaks out and screams arbitrary noises or shouts lines as strange as "That is just... an ASSHOLE, suggestion!". These scenes are far from strong enough to boost any credibility, but then again The Beach hardly seems very interested in that in the first place. The most memorable thing about Leonardo Dicaprio's performance in The Beach is the fact that he spends the majority of the time with his shirt off, in particular one scene where the viewer witnesses his torso in full perspective as he ties a bandana around his head to pretend he is John Rambo. Leonardo DiCaprio is a treat for the eyes in The Beach but nothing else since there is nothing intellectually stimulating about his performance, and any viewer who has seen the limits he succumbs to in The Beach may understand why he hasn't ever actually an Academy Award.
Tilda Swinton is a loosely memorable member of the cast in The Beach simply as she has a name of greater recognition, but her performance is not one which stands up with her legacy. Unable to pick the extent of antagonism she wants to put into her character, Tilda Swinton hints at being a villainous character at many points in The Beach but is never able to establish how much she wants to intimidate viewers. She works alongside the developing atmosphere of the film, but since she develops her character at the same pace as the constantly shifting narrative it certainly isn't the most entertaining achievement. Tilda Swinton captures a character as loose as the story, so the resulting quality is hard to decipher.

The Beach provides Danny Boyle a chance to remind viewers of his rich sense of style and atmosphere as a director, but his inability to keep the story from flailing along a loose path creates a film bereft of comprehension, commentary or even a decent performance from Leonardo DiCaprio.
½ January 28, 2016
made me spin out when u watching late in the morn. the idea is beautiful and the acting great. maybe it is slightly 'shallow' tho
January 23, 2016
Unfocused as hell. But for me I still found enough to enjoy to make the film worthwhile.
December 28, 2015
before leo was good,
no thanks
½ December 28, 2015
An initially clever take on Lord Of The Flies, The Beach falls by the wayside as it descends into a painfully convoluted plot.
½ December 15, 2015
The movie looks great, excellent locations and cinematography, but the performances are wooden and the story is poorly written.