The Beach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beach Reviews

½ March 19, 2017
Its almost interesting. Until its not. Then you still have an hour and twenty minutes to go. Leonardo gives a decent performance but essentially the slow plot
line and predictable adventures leaves his character wanting a better ending
February 21, 2017
This is not a story that anyone can appreciate. I can deeply feel the message the movie is trying to show. All the characters there are incredibly realistic, everything that happens is, too. For people who have lived in communes, this movie is watched almost like a reality show. That's the magic of it. Duffy's disillusionment, Sal's desperate efforts to keep it all together, people ignoring the darkness to continue pretending they live in a fairytale.. All these mirror real experiences and observations I had, in off grid societies in the past. It's rare for such a thing to become material for a mainstream movie. So I put the best rating.
February 7, 2017
I liked it, DiCaprio's acting in here was what shined with the cinematography.
December 27, 2016
interesting concept for the movie, but, didn't really enjoy the story and how it played out
December 11, 2016
Oh this was awful. So badly acted. Worst dipcaprio film I've seen.
December 4, 2016
What the hell did I just watch??? The only reason that this shitfest of a movie gets 1 star is because of Leonardo DiCaprio. He gives a good effort in the lead role, but the plot is really confusing, the dialogue is corny and dumb, the characters are unlikable and non-relatable and it was way overly long. Yeesh, I'll try to forget that such great actors like DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton were apart of this snoozefest of a movie.
September 9, 2016
It has a lot to say to can't seem to focus on a clear vision or way of laying itself out. The early Dany Boyle film looks and feels unique, but that quality becomes less appealing as the film goes on and the characters we're presented become less sympathetic with each poor decision they make. The acting is decent, but the script needed some work in terms of character development. It thinks it's more cleve than it is.
½ August 7, 2016
It was well acted and very entertaining. I loved it.
½ August 3, 2016
pretty intense movie about the obsession to keep something hidden. I liked it.
½ May 27, 2016
89%
Watched this on 27/5/16
Clearly one of the most underrated movies I have ever seen. This is one of the finest films from Boyle and far better than many of his acclaimed ones. I expected silly teenage stuff from The Beach and I was taken aback by the power of story telling. DiCaprio gives an underaprreciated performance in this film which is about a descent into madness, the existence of a beautiful paradise and the effects it would have on its inhabitants. The film's themes of selfishness, self-indulgence and excessive struggle to keep the secrecy of the paradise are too strong and this film like its novel is similar to Lord of the Flies. I find the themes better executed than in films such as Apocalypse Now.
April 16, 2016
Partes boas e partes ruins, ainda não sei se gostei do filme ou não. A proposta da comunidade vivendo fora da civilização é boa, mas a dependência dela das modernidades é muito bizarra. Ponto positivo pra sequencia meio videogame do protagonista se aventurando pela selva.
March 28, 2016
Leonardo Di Caprio is the only reason to see this movie because it's his vehicle. It also has beautiful scenery. The movie is entertaining from beginning to end because of Leonardo Di Caprio and the fact everyone is trapped on an island away from the world.
½ March 26, 2016
Sure its a bit messy and the performances are questionable (but to be honest the actors did have a hard script to work with)
But The Beach is a really exciting movie with really cool cinematography and good suspence and thrills.
½ February 22, 2016
Try to think of a more pathetic main character.
February 15, 2016
One of the best books and movies of all times for backpackers. If you don't understand it, that's ok, you are not one of us.
February 8, 2016
I love it and not only because Leo DiCaprio is starring.
January 31, 2016
An all time classic in my opinion. One of Leo's best films. Epic journey of finding something new and taking a chance.
½ January 30, 2016
Actually a well-made movie despite critics saying otherwise. I found the story interesting. (First and only viewing - 1/30/2016)