The Beach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beach Reviews

½ December 7, 2017
Had a decent soundtrack, kept me intrigued and made some valid and interesting points on human nature. I don't know what you all find so faulty with this movie..
½ November 12, 2017
What a load of old bollocks! Pretty photos.
August 22, 2017
1st half is 5 stars, 2nd half 1 star.
August 18, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ July 31, 2017
Though I may be in the minority here, I actually enjoyed this movie. Compared to the vast amounts of movies I've seen, this does several things better that other movies try like hell to accomplish and fail on all levels. The cinematography, the acting, even some of the dialogue isn't half-bad.

Is it perfect? Oh, definitely not. While The Beach does better what I've seen other films try to get across, it does a few other things worse. A film can't have too many themes at once, which this seems to. I like the idea of someone coming across a hidden paradise where escapists hide away from the rest of the world. But if they had focused only on that plot, it would have been much better than it is. Granted, I do like the movie, a lot, but I would have given it five stars if they had cleaned up some of that nonsense. One can get confused.

Is it about respecting your own existence so that you don't risk your own neck trying to re-establish your place in the world because "life is hard and stuff"? Is it about idealism, and how it can be both beautiful and sacrificial? Or is it about "bros before hos" and not stealing that one French dudebro's girlfriend? Which you later cheat on because, hey, she's willing and you're alone without witnesses.

I enjoy mystery and intrigue along with a little maddening commentary, but I feel so often like films shoehorn in romance to appeal to what they believe is a "sensitive, feminine audience". A lot of American films feature these pointless romances where they shouldn't belong, and this movie is no exception. I could have cared less about the forced romance in this movie, especially when it didn't feel like the characters had very good chemistry.

In spite of that fact, the concept of the film, and the way it was executed, was very well done, and I don't think it gets enough credit for this. The Beach has flaws, but for me, they aren't abundant enough to hate on it. It has a unique touch, and these days, it's rare to get that feeling out of a movie. Looking back on this one, it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.
½ June 17, 2017
Um filme bom com uma boa fotografia.
May 18, 2017
Part escapist parable, part angst fantasy, all typically developed. It builds neatly to a trite conclusion.
½ April 23, 2017
This might be the only movie where I can't explain why it's bad but it just is. I mainly just watched it for a young Leo and I don't really regret it.
March 24, 2017
I don't know why this movie has such a low rating. I mean wtf RottenTomatoes?! It covers all the essentials and even gives you an inside look into what madness really is.
½ March 19, 2017
Its almost interesting. Until its not. Then you still have an hour and twenty minutes to go. Leonardo gives a decent performance but essentially the slow plot
line and predictable adventures leaves his character wanting a better ending
February 21, 2017
This is not a story that anyone can appreciate. I can deeply feel the message the movie is trying to show. All the characters there are incredibly realistic, everything that happens is, too. For people who have lived in communes, this movie is watched almost like a reality show. That's the magic of it. Duffy's disillusionment, Sal's desperate efforts to keep it all together, people ignoring the darkness to continue pretending they live in a fairytale.. All these mirror real experiences and observations I had, in off grid societies in the past. It's rare for such a thing to become material for a mainstream movie. So I put the best rating.
February 7, 2017
I liked it, DiCaprio's acting in here was what shined with the cinematography.
December 27, 2016
interesting concept for the movie, but, didn't really enjoy the story and how it played out
December 11, 2016
Oh this was awful. So badly acted. Worst dipcaprio film I've seen.
December 4, 2016
What the hell did I just watch??? The only reason that this shitfest of a movie gets 1 star is because of Leonardo DiCaprio. He gives a good effort in the lead role, but the plot is really confusing, the dialogue is corny and dumb, the characters are unlikable and non-relatable and it was way overly long. Yeesh, I'll try to forget that such great actors like DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton were apart of this snoozefest of a movie.
September 9, 2016
It has a lot to say to can't seem to focus on a clear vision or way of laying itself out. The early Dany Boyle film looks and feels unique, but that quality becomes less appealing as the film goes on and the characters we're presented become less sympathetic with each poor decision they make. The acting is decent, but the script needed some work in terms of character development. It thinks it's more cleve than it is.
½ August 7, 2016
It was well acted and very entertaining. I loved it.
½ August 3, 2016
pretty intense movie about the obsession to keep something hidden. I liked it.