The Beastmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beastmaster Reviews

April 12, 2017
This movie is incredibly special to me, I saw it at the cinema many times when I was younger and found it utterly magical and fascinating. As a piece of art it's incredible, there is nothing quite like it. Of all the sword and sorcery films it has the best hero in my opinion. I think the whole film has incredible imagination. Obviously you have to go in with the right expectation, I saw it again recently and I was still impressed and found it really interesting watching it from an older perspective.
March 24, 2017
Total guilty pleasure, but it's one of the stand outs of the long line of Conan ripoffs that came out. The premise is rad, the creatures are cool, rip torn is great in his hammy glory, and Tanya Roberts... oh boy!
February 3, 2017
a great 80s fantasy movie
½ January 6, 2017
true classic fantasy film from the eighties i loved this film as a kid
½ October 6, 2016
un cheveu du statut de nanar
½ August 17, 2016
Oh, those two crazy ferrets! So I watched this film coming hot off a disappointing viewing of "Red Sonja." Adolescent me really did like "Red Sonja" as well as "The Beastmaster" so I was expecting to be disappointed again with this movie. However, this one was still pretty fun. Marc Singer has a flowy mullet. Rip Torn has big villainous eyebrows and a big fake nose. Tanya Roberts wears hardly anything. John Amos also looks good wielding a sword, but I still felt like he was about to scold Jimmy Walker as any moment. The story is a typical Conan story of revenge, with musclebound Singer looking for some payback. The difference with this film is that he uses his animal friends to help him exact his revenge. All of this goofy fun was directed by inventive low budget director Don Coscarelli, who made the classic Phantasm films and other gems like "Bubba Ho-Tep" and "John Dies at the End." Beastmaster was also photographed by John Alcott who was Stanley Kubrick's regular director of photography from "2001: A Space Odyssey" up until Alcott's death before "Full Metal Jacket." Also, according to IMDB, a before-she-was-famous Janet Jones is in the film as "Witchwoman #3"
February 6, 2016
Sexism at its best, fun but not too serious.
½ October 1, 2015
I'd read that this was one of those "Top Ten Films You've Never Seen You Should See" films...and I can certainly see why. It's vast, and for an early 80s fantasy film it doesn't contain too many of those flimsy stop-motion moments you'd expect. But I slept through most of it.
½ September 29, 2015
Thank you TBS! Thank you for showing me this move 500 times! It has some good points, those bat huger people scared the absolute living shit out of me as a kid. The shot of Dar running with his panther at his side is directly where He-Man was stolen from. The black dude who's laughable fighting skills with a staff are hilarious but he still comes off as endearing. The SMOKIN hot redhead! The fact that everything's shot with a static camera so none of the fight scenes come off as realistic, worse than pro wrestling!!
Again, Thank You TBS!
July 30, 2015
I grew up watching this movie and still love it to this day!
½ June 14, 2015
Another film that is part of a lot of our childhood memories. A total "guilty pleasure" film, but what doesn't it have? A master of beasts, a half naked hottie, a sinister Rip Torn, John Amos in S&M gear, a dyed black tiger, a hawk, 2 ferrets, dead kids, more dudes in S&M gear, Bat-like creatures and THE JUNS. A midnight movie of the highest order.
April 26, 2015
Contrary to some critics opinions born of the current CGI age with no imagination, this is quite entertaining and imaginative for its time.
½ April 3, 2015
Epic sword & sorcery journey for Dar who unknowingly fulfills his destiny of killing Maax, the man who deposed his father as ruler. Plenty of entertainment here from start to finish. More than a few calculated risks taken, it's a good thing the Beastmaster's animal friends are reliable.
March 21, 2015
Great movie all the way around!
February 5, 2015
Often it is better to just reminisce about a favorite movie from your childhood rather than re-watch it.

This was one of many Conan the Barbarian imitators and probably one of the better known ones. Re-watching it tonight wasn't torture and I enjoyed it but this is not a good movie.
February 2, 2015
It's always fun to watch... I miss it coming on randomly on TBS or HBO, so I bought it on iTunes, just to have.
January 27, 2015
A royal son/warrior and master of animals journeys to fulfill his destiny in a film filled with sorcery. Director Coscarelli does a lot with relatively limited resources; his best film alongside Phantasm. Contains a plentiful amount of interesting sub-characters like the death guards, juns and bird men--Kenner should have cashed in on an action figure line. One of the finest sword and sorcery epics produced, although only a modest box office success.
January 23, 2015
Serving as a mildly popular sword and sorcery film, The Beastmaster sounded like a chance for some cheap fun.

The ultimate flaw in The Beastmaster is that it is way too tame. The sword and sorcery genre can be fun if it implements the right elements which usually mean a good set design, strong action scenes and perhaps some nudity along the way. With The Beastmaster, some of the visual elements of the film are good but it defies the genre by failing to have enough swords or sorcery to it.
The Beastmaster is a thoroughly slow film which takes two hours and has little to no gimmicks along the way which justify its existence. While the scenery of the film is nice, the production design is decent and the costumes are good all on a low budget, they should have been saved for a better film because The Beastmaster does not know what to do with them. The low budget visual flair of The Beastmaster does not cover up its weak story and inane directorial work from Don Coscarelli. The musical score of the film is nice because it is atmospheric, and so is the cinematography because it captures the same mood from a visual perspective. But that does not hide the fact that the film is poorly written and uncreative. While it should maintain a lot of cheap fantasy fun, the story in The Beastmaster is one which is all too common to the genre and falters by comparison to countless superior films, even if the production values of this one seem higher based on a small but reasonable budget.
There is not nearly enough action in The Beastmaster which ensures that it is a thoroughly tame piece which gets too caught up in telling its story to work as the dumb fun that viewers would be hoping for. Considering that there is no action until past the first hour in the film, that establishes the fact that the film wastes half its time on telling a generic story with weak direction. The tale in The Beastmaster doesn't matter because the audiences of these films tend to be young boys looking for cheap action thrills. To take the action out of the equation takes the sword out of the genre which leaves only sorcery. Yet with a generic story lacking in any magic or the presence of any real mythological creatures, the sorcery is absent. The Beastmaster is left as a sword and sorcery film without swords and sorcery, so what does that tell you? Hopefully it should tell you to stick with films from the Deathstalker series when in search of cheap 80's thrills.
For a film that runs for nearly two hours, the lack of action in The Beastmaster really drags it down. When the action of the film finally does show up, the damage is already done. Even then it ends up spread out at a sporadic rate for the rest of the film which means that it takes up the most minimal quantity of time in the film which is just wasteful. The one thing I hate most in a film about adventuring with a sword is to have it be so little in quantity of action. But to make things even worse, the quality is weak. The action scenes in The Beastmaster are ridiculously tame. They show the actors performing dull moves at an overly slow pace to the extent that they seem improvised. The action in the film is as slow and tame as the rest of the film. For a film to have such little action and then have its existing action scenes be so weak in quality is just adding insult to injury. If you're looking for a battle between swordsmen and sorcerers, The Beastmaster is not a film to be looking at even if the title suggests that it might have an interesting idea to it. The title just means that its hero can talk to animals, and that mostly consists of him conversing with ferrets anyway who can hardly be considered beasts. It is just not a fun film, and that is poor form.
There is some sense of value that the cast bring to the film, even if it is minimal.
Marc Singer is a decent lead. While his acting is not precisely on par, he doesn't have much of a character in the first place and so it hardly matters. He isn't the best action hero, but he grasps his sword confidently. But the most interesting thing about him is the fact that he looks like a muscular Kevin Bacon. That's a name that we would all be familiar with for one reason or another, and seeing someone who looks a lot like him parade around with a muscular physique in loincloth and talking to animals manages to incite some unintentional laughs in The Beastmaster.
Even though The Beastmaster features appearances from popular sitcom actor John Amos and Academy Award nominee Rip Torn, it really does not know what to do with them and ends up wasting their time. While Rip Torn has nothing to do, John Amos has little to say but instead just struts around dressed in clothing so awkwardly revealing that it is hilarious. The simple fact that it is him in the role is entertaining from a visual and pop culture perspective because of how strange it is to see the man who once played James Evans. Sr on the sitcom good times decked out in cheap clothing in a fantasy B-movie. So like Marc Singer, his general appearance in the film is genial in a way.

So while The Beastmaster looks good and is shot well against the backdrop of a nice musical score, it is way too short on its already middling action scenes to be considered a sword and sorcery film or to be stretched to a running time of 118 minutes with such a thin story to boot.
December 4, 2014
This is still my number 1 favorite movie. Partly Because of this movie I have and have owned many ferrets!!! They are awesome pets and they live up to their name stealing things. Lol
November 6, 2014
It is what it is, and for being a low budget B movie, it turned out pretty good. Straight up story, action, adventure, sorcery, and even staying true to its period. Cheezy and simple, but all in all a pretty good bad movie. Lost interest halfway through though.