Becoming Bond Reviews

• Feb 21, 2020

A thoroughly entertaining, well edited, tender and simply creative documentary with dramatised elements. Truly better than a biopic because surely it's the mundanity mixed with the easy eccentricity of Lazenby's story that makes it such a great experience. The actor playing adult Lazenby is terrific throughout, hilarious comic timing and delivery and the editing and crafting of those sequences are so, so tactfully applied and rewarding. It's a story of a maverick who came to know himself and it's a great story of independence and defiance.

• Apr 07, 2019

One of my all time favorite docs. I've always been a huge fan of George but this one made me respect him even more after seeing his journey to the top and his drop back by his own accord. His life ends up being as interesting as I always imagined. This reminds me a ton of the Charlie Murphy bits on the old Chapelle show. It will make you laugh the same way and be amused. You will come out respecting George more than before.

• Aug 10, 2018

Documentary/filmography of the life of the enigma that is George Lazenby. The only 'actor' or should that be model to play the role of James Bond once. Are all the stories narrated by George Lazenby's of his life true? I beg to differ with some of them. It is a fascinating story if true. However they are shown excellently and quite comically in some scenes so well done there. The actors do a good job in bringing Lazenby's narration to the screen. The archive footage of publicity around his only Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service is obviously real and fascinating. I find that Bond film fascinating to be honest. Why didn't he just sign the god damn contract (for six more Bond films)?

• Aug 02, 2018

Funny, kept me captured throughout.

Funny, kept me captured throughout.

• Apr 24, 2018

Lazenby himself comes across as selfish and vain, but the reenactments of great chunks of his life are v well acted and frequently funny. It's a pity he threw in the towel after just the one Bond, but probably a great relief to the Bond producers and his future co-stars.

• Dec 13, 2017

The story of George Lazenby. This one of the most entertaining documentaries I have seen. Touching with a lot of humor.

• Dec 13, 2017

• Dec 03, 2017

One of the funniest and most entertaining documentaries I have ever seen. George Lazenby's descriptions of his own life are hilarious and heartwarming. My only minor gripe is that the actor who plays the young George doesn't seem to quite fit the part. Other than that, it's a delightful portrayal of someone who knows what he wants and how to enjoy life, and more importantly, also knows what he doesn't want or need.

• Nov 27, 2017

Written and directed by Josh Greenbaum by interviewing a somewhat of an autobiography of George Lazenby who became synonymous playing "a" Bond movie, and why he did not do more in accordance to him or be seen in anymore films with reenactments played by Dana Carvey, Jane Seymour and Jeff Garland to name a few and Jason Maybaum playing much of the man himself, as the much younger Lazenby character.

• Nov 11, 2017

Entertaining, enlightening, funny, sad. George Lazenby tells his own story from childhood until he walked away from Bond with wisdom and self-awareness, but also with a healthy dose of charm and wit. The dramatisations are great. Josh Lawson isn't really much like George physically, but he does fine, and his comic and dramatic chops both get a big workout. A lot of the supporting Australian and British characters are clearly played by Americans doing dodgy (and some OK) accents, but that somehow manages to be endearing rather than annoying here. It's purely The Laze's side of things, so it's not exactly impartial, but after it finished I felt like I'd gained real insight into who George is and why things went down the way they did. As an Aussie Bond fan (and a fan of the Aussie Bond), I love it.