Ben is Back Reviews

• Oct 03, 2020

World class acting. Very very interesting, keeps you engaged to the very end. Not boring at all. But its kinda heavy so you've got to be in the mood.

• Sep 08, 2020

Wow, it packs a LOT of emotional punches. I spent the best part of the first half of the movie in a state somewhere between 'lump-in-my-throat' and 'tears-in-my-eyes'. Stirring and powerful performances throughout by Julia and Lucas, with pillars at either side, in both Courtney and Kathryn. I'd delayed watching this, as I hadn't expected much from it - oh, how wrong I was!

• Jun 26, 2020

I fell in love with the entire cast. I was in tears for the entire movie until the ending dropped off like a bungee jumper with NO ROPE! Soooo disappointed!!! I Feel cheated out of 102 amazing minutes because the last minute erased my entire "Ben is Back" experience! I'm done

• Jun 08, 2020

Not really sure about where this went but had a good amount of scenes that hits close to home if you have an addict in your family

• May 05, 2020

Film svolto interamente in una nottata, in cui la coppia Lucas Hedges e Julia Roberts si destreggiano benissimo in una spirale di conseguenze e guai che tornano a galla col rientro a casa del protagonista. Trama intima e perfettamente interpretata; molta attenzione anche ai personaggi di contorno che tengono benissimo lo schermo.

• Apr 01, 2020

A good movie, but nothing big

A good movie, but nothing big

• Apr 01, 2020

I thought this would be like that other movie I saw but it wasn’t. How sick of her to give someone else son drugs to find her son. I didn’t care for this one at all

• Mar 31, 2020

Ben Is Back is a strongly performed, solidly written film about the perils of drug addiction and the havoc wreaked on families and their lives. Set in lower state New York the Ben in question is a young man released by his rehab facility so he can spend Christmas with his adopted family. His mother is nervous but excited to have him home but the rest of the familiy is not so sure. Set over a twenty four hour period we see first hand how addiction can be very hard to shake and beat as Ben is drawn back into his old lifestyle of using and dealing drugs. This has serious ramifications as the crime associated with drugs closes in the family. There are also arguments and regret over how Ben reached this position in his life. Ben is played with great clarity by Lucas Hedges, who is also the son of the director. His mother is played with great emotional honesty by Julia Roberts. Despite this being a tough and emotional film it never feels a slog thanks to some fine performances and sharp writing.

• Mar 16, 2020

‘Ben is Back' takes a while to establish its characters, but once it does, the different way it goes about telling the story of a family dealing with addiction and the whirlwind of conflicting emotions that come with it – love, hope, heartbreak, fear and anger – works well thanks to a personal approach and emotionally charged performances from leads Julia Roberts and Lucas Hedges.

• Mar 14, 2020

Powerful story of drug addiction in young people and how it can destroy families. Strong performance from lead Roberts and her character daughter is also good where you feel terribly sorry for. The ending however lets the film down with its abrupt finish